Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Kennedy
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Kennedy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 pm

I have been bathing my dog in an upstairs bathtub. That bathtub now drains slowly, and the tub has standing water during a shower. The assumption is that the line is partially obstructed with dog hair. I tried Liquid Plumber, and it didn't work. I further tried this device designed to snake a drain- it's a straight, foot long piece of plastic with barbs. That didn't work either.

When a straightened, metal clothes hanger also didn't work, I purchased an auger for around $25 at the local home improvement store. My husband wasn't able to get the auger past some metal piece in either the drain area or the line (he was vague), so he threw in the towel.

I know Liquid Plumber, Draino and the like are made for pipes, but my father always told me they could cause more harm than good. I'm thinking about trying it again and leaving it in longer this time.

Is it true that these products can damage the pipes if used more than once or so? If the Liquid Plumber doesn't work on my second attempt, is there another solution other than calling a plumber to address the situation?

Mingus
Posts: 696
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Mingus » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:43 pm

They do not damage the pipes.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6245
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by bottlecap » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm

Nearly every source says it can damage pipes, but my guess is you would have to use it a lot to damage your plastic pipes.

They also say it's bad for the environment.

I've never been able to get the stuff to work. I just open up the drain and take the offending obstruction out with a screwdriver or a toilet snake.

JT

mhalley
Posts: 7765
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by mhalley » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm

Did he go through the overflow plate instead of the drain? The secret to auger is slow steady pressure while cranking. Don’t try to go to pofar at once, say 5-6 inches at a time. If you can’t get through with a hand auger, you could rent a power one if you feel up to the attempt but a plumber might be the better idea ifyou feel intimidated.
Regular auger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4
Power auger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ipiNABmGf8
The chance of drano harming the pipes is pretty small. I had a recurrent slow drainage from my sink, augering it to the length of the auger didn’t help but drano type product opened it up.
Last edited by mhalley on Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheHouse7
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:40 am
Location: Washington State

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by TheHouse7 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:05 am

Liquid Plumber / Draino will not damage pipes.

Residential products are weak. Look for the drain cleaner that they have to sell in the sip lock plastic bag. (some states don't allow hard stuff to be sold)

I have a large golden retriever lab that fears the bathtub, most people hose them off in the back yard, mine gets an organic shampoo in our guest bath tub. :)

(Background in chemical engineering)
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

User avatar
nedsaid
Posts: 12971
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by nedsaid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:08 am

Not sure liquid plumber/Draino even hurts the clogs!
A fool and his money are good for business.

jimmo
Posts: 109
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:49 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by jimmo » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:18 am

Liquid plumber / Draino are a waste of time in most cases, and yes bad for environment too. Hair is primary culprit for shower/bath drains. If you can't locate/remove obstruction, might be time to call in plumber. Or you can do same thing they willl... use power auger.

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 21740
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:24 am

Home Depot - black bottle of Liquid Drano (gel) extra strength, use hot water. Might take a couple of times but it will open that clog up, no problem. Give it some time
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mouses
Posts: 3938
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:42 am

I run very hot water into the drain for a few minutes. Then I dump in half to one cup of bleach and let it sit overnight. (Keep the door closed to avoid fumes.) Then I flush the drain with hot water. Have you seen what bleach does to fabric if you pour it directly on it? Hair doesn't stand a chance.

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by criticalmass » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:04 am

Drain openers are usually Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH). It's a simple chemical, but a very powerful alkaline and reactive chemical in concentration. It dissolves and decomposes grease and hair. You might also find concentrated sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) (aka bleach) in the drain cleaner with the NaOH. The bleach assists the breakdown of hair, etc. If the drain lines are plastic (ABS or PVC) you should be ok in moderate doses. Beware using a lot which causes heat generation---PVC pipe cannot withstand much heat (which is why similar hot water lines are CPVC instead of PVC).

If you are on a septic system, I'd use extreme caution with any chemical, and use them very sparingly. You don't have much space in the plumbing system to dilute the chemicals or enough time to let them decompose before entering your tank/drain field. Plus they can disrupt or stop the natural decomposition that a septic system depends on.

In a sanitary sewer there are plenty of liquids in the sewer main to dilute and assist with any further breakdown of small quantities of reactive NaOH/NaOCl to more harmless chemicals before reaching the environment. Much of the bleach breaks down into salt water, which is still corrosive but won't harm in low quantities.


Other drain cleaners might be sulfuric acid, hydrochloric acid, etc. I'd stay away from those. Also never mix these strong acids/alkalines. The chlorine is released quickly as toxic chlorine gas while pressure can build up fast enough to break the pipe violently with chlorine gas and heat.

So in short, use the proper drain cleaner if you have sewer service, but only in limited quantities according to the directions, and don't repeatedly use. If you are on septic, I'd stick with an auger instead and avoid them.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 8090
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 am

For slow drains plugged with hair I've had good results with the bacterial drain cleaners. They do take a while, on the order of a day or two. Not sure how they work after using Drano, you might have to wait for the lye to wash out.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:35 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 am
For slow drains plugged with hair I've had good results with the bacterial drain cleaners. They do take a while, on the order of a day or two. Not sure how they work after using Drano, you might have to wait for the lye to wash out.
Brand/product names?

Thanks.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

IowaFarmBoy
Posts: 727
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:19 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 am

A suggestion for future dog bathing- you might want to look into a screen/strainer for the drain. It is a plastic cover that fits over the drain and catches hair before it gets into your pipes. My wife got them for our teenage daughters with long hair. Saved me much trouble.

We use something like this but there are many different brands/styles depending on how your tub is configured. If you have a stopper that is internal you can use a different type than if your plug is internal.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hair-Snare-Dra ... htub+drain

Housedoc
Posts: 475
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Housedoc » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:56 am

Try the barb tool again. Run full hot water as you insert and go back and forth with the tool. Insert it all the way, you may have to jiggle it a few times. You will free up the trapped hair mass and send it on its way. I do this every few months in an upstairs tub. After its clear, let it dry for a few hours then put in 1/4 cup of baking soda into the drain slowly. Now add 1/2cup of vinegar and watch the foam show! Follow with 5 min of hot water flush.

Dude2
Posts: 944
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:40 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Dude2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:43 am

I was just talking to a plumber about this last week. He says they hate the stuff and do not recommend it. From their perspective it is dangerous because they will show up at a job and the customer has added chemicals to the equation that they have to be wary of, i.e. wear gloves, eyewear, very cautious with the waste water, etc.

That being said, I have a new house under warranty. The above call out was probably due to some chicken grease in my kitchen sink pipes. I had used liquid plumber the day before the call (a Sunday), and after an hour the clog freed itself. All I had to do was pour a bottle. The plumber still came out on Monday, and he made certain everything was ship-shape. However, it was highly labor intensive watching all he had to do -- take apart PVC pipes under the sink, use hand drill connected to snake, go out and examine the trap, waste 100's of gallons of water watching everything to ensure it was draining properly. (Imagine if I had had to pay for all of that!)

In hindsight, the liquid plumber would have been just fine, and the label ensures us it is safe, even on garbage disposals.

User avatar
burt
Posts: 768
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2008 7:47 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by burt » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 am

IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 am
A suggestion for future dog bathing- you might want to look into a screen/strainer for the drain. It is a plastic cover that fits over the drain and catches hair before it gets into your pipes. My wife got them for our teenage daughters with long hair. Saved me much trouble.

We use something like this but there are many different brands/styles depending on how your tub is configured. If you have a stopper that is internal you can use a different type than if your plug is internal.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hair-Snare-Dra ... htub+drain

The TubShroom does the job and I've ordered more. Used to snake out the drain every 3 months, have been using this product for one year and no clogs. When it gets gunked up I put it in a ziplock bag with drain cleaner. Let it set 30 minutes, shake it up, rinse and it looks new.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS ... =344740011

burt

renue74
Posts: 1799
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:24 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by renue74 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 am

I had a difficult clog at a tenant's home a couple years ago. My usual plumber came in and within 5 minutes used this "Glug" Drain Opener and it worked like a charm. It's crystal material and you pour the crystals into the drain with hot water.

He charged me $85 and said...oh, you can't get this. It's only for licensed plumbers. I went to my local Ferguson Plumbing Supply House and asked them. They said anybody could buy it. So I loaded up with 3 bottles and have used them a few times.

You can get it on Amazon for about $15. I find that one can gives me about 2 uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-Available- ... glug+drain

Jazzysoon
Posts: 115
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Jazzysoon » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:20 am

+ 1 with the previous poster re: caution with Septic systems, there are products that are safer for septic systems

tim1999
Posts: 3635
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by tim1999 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:22 am

I've good luck with "Pequa" brand drain cleaner. The Liquid Plumber type stuff sold in the grocery store usually does next to nothing when my drains get clogged.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 787
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by leeks » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 am

Don't underestimate a good plunger. We tossed ours in the last move and our dollar-store replacement is nearly useless. But our old one (not sure where purchased) was able to unclog tubs when used aggressively.

Next time use a screen over the drain.

etherlinkage
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 1:38 pm
Location: MN

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by etherlinkage » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:57 am

Save yourself the time and hassle of drain cleaners not working. Just invest once in a drill-operated snake, and you'll be in good shape for years to come. We have two dogs, and the only thing that has worked consistently is an auger. Just take off your overflow, slip it in, and off you go. As an aside - most plumbers advise against using drain cleaner. If it doesn't work (which it often doesn't) and they get called in, it's hazardous to them. Link is below:

https://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/d ... 528&ipos=1

edit: Here's a video that should help from This Old House https://youtu.be/JWZklniOo_4
Save early, save aggressively, and stay the course.

sschoe2
Posts: 460
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:42 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by sschoe2 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:08 am

They can accelerate the corrosion of galvanized drain pipes. It would not have any effect on PVC. However, as others have said it really is not very effective. Theoretically if it surrounds and immerses the clog long enough it can saponify the fats/grease like oven/grill cleaner. In practice it doesn't work.

Your best bet is to head to Homedepot and rent a heavy duty power snake/auger and send it down the drain a few times and run a lot of hot water.

bob60014
Posts: 1296
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by bob60014 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:11 am

renue74 wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:16 am
I had a difficult clog at a tenant's home a couple years ago. My usual plumber came in and within 5 minutes used this "Glug" Drain Opener and it worked like a charm. It's crystal material and you pour the crystals into the drain with hot water.

He charged me $85 and said...oh, you can't get this. It's only for licensed plumbers. I went to my local Ferguson Plumbing Supply House and asked them. They said anybody could buy it. So I loaded up with 3 bottles and have used them a few times.

You can get it on Amazon for about $15. I find that one can gives me about 2 uses.

https://www.amazon.com/Oatey-Available- ... glug+drain

Glug is the solid/crystal version of liquid Draino, the main ingredient being Sodium Hydroxide.

jstat
Posts: 196
Joined: Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:53 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by jstat » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:16 am

I've had good luck with the foaming version Liquid Plumber. Three chronically slow drains now drain properly. As best I can tell they turn to foam when they contact organic matter, and stick to it. Then you wait two hours and flush the drain with hot water.

Glockenspiel
Posts: 957
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Glockenspiel » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:19 am

Yes. It would be the very last resort for me, especially with PVC pipe plumbing. Try a zip-it, a plunger, baking sode/vinegar/very hot water.

Murgatroyd
Posts: 313
Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Murgatroyd » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:35 am

We are on septic and have some odd bends to the pipes that limit outward flow. Have had some nasty blockages. Early on in this house spent a fortune to have a plumber clear a clog (which was how we learned of the odd bends). We have tried all the tricks you see on the internet. Hot water, bleach, vinegar, all of it.

About a year ago we had another clog and were ready to call the plumber again when I said let’s try one more thing. It’s called Nature’s Soldiers https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GS ... UTF8&psc=1 And it really works. Took 3 days but the instructions suggested that.

I know this sounds like a commercial, but for 40 bucks, I don’t worry about the drains anymore.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 8638
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 am

0. Access area under the sink, inside cabinet.
1. Remove "P" trap assembly. (clear debris as needed)
2. Use a "thin" coiled plumbing snake to clear the drain pipe going into the wall. Go as far as possible. Do not force.
3. Assemble and test, repeat as needed.

As previously suggested, use a screen over the drain when bathing dog. Also can be used all the time for those with long hair.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

HoosierJim
Posts: 711
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by HoosierJim » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 am

I have a pretty heavy duty auger w/motor but it's a pain to setup and sometimes dangerous to use in tight quarters.

Found this at local store - for $14 - allows you to attach a portable drill - - once that snake starts bouncing around inside the pipe, it bores a full passage vs small pathway with those plastic barb tools. Run it the full 25 feet and you shouldn't have a problem.

mouses
Posts: 3938
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by mouses » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:11 am

I had a new septic system installed and I was talking to the engineer about how to deal with it. I asked about my every few months use of half a cup of bleach and he thought it was hilarious that I though half a cup of bleach would disrupt the system. Having seen the size of the tank when they installed it, that sounds reasonable to me.

Teague
Posts: 1681
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Teague » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:19 am

When you eventually call a plumber, you do need to tell him/her about the chemicals now in the pipes. These are strongly corrosive to tissues and can cause severe skin and especially eye damage.
Semper Augustus

Topic Author
Kennedy
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:47 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Kennedy » Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:27 am

mhalley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm
Did he go through the overflow plate instead of the drain? The secret to auger is slow steady pressure while cranking. Don’t try to go to pofar at once, say 5-6 inches at a time. If you can’t get through with a hand auger, you could rent a power one if you feel up to the attempt but a plumber might be the better idea ifyou feel intimidated.
Regular auger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWZklniOo_4
Power auger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ipiNABmGf8
The chance of drano harming the pipes is pretty small. I had a recurrent slow drainage from my sink, augering it to the length of the auger didn’t help but drano type product opened it up.
I just clarified with my husband, and he said he tried to go through the drain and not the overflow plate. (The auger tip was too big to fit through the drain holes.) Thank you for pointing that out. I also watched the This Old House YouTube video someone else linked above that demonstrated removing the overflow plate and using this area for access. Thanks! We will try this approach.

User avatar
Epsilon Delta
Posts: 8090
Joined: Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:00 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Epsilon Delta » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:23 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:35 am
Epsilon Delta wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:02 am
For slow drains plugged with hair I've had good results with the bacterial drain cleaners. They do take a while, on the order of a day or two. Not sure how they work after using Drano, you might have to wait for the lye to wash out.
Brand/product names?

Thanks.

RM
The stuff I currently use is Roebic K-67 Bacterial Drain and Trap cleaner. This is labeled for monthly maintenance rather than acute clog cleaning, but I've used with good effect on slow, but not completely clog situations.

I don't think this niche is as brand oriented as Drano/Liquid plumber, In the past I've used other brands -- whatever a small town hardware store has in stock.

Aside -- when people say run hot water down the drain it helps if the water is really hot -- boiled in a kettle rather than merely warmed in the domestic water heater.

User avatar
GoldStar
Posts: 957
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 10:59 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by GoldStar » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I use Draino MAX Gel - does a great job of clearing slow drains (due to hair) and after maybe 10 to 15 years of use no damage to PVC drain pipes.
I settled on this product after many others failed to work.
Surprised no one else found same to be true.
No more using snakes, taking apart traps, etc for me.

User avatar
TheGreyingDuke
Posts: 1656
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:34 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:55 pm

I would urge that in the future you keep the hair from going down the drain with one of those drain screens. You may need to remove what is on top of the drain to install it, works flawlessly.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

iamlucky13
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:28 pm
Location: Western Washington

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:31 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:56 pm
Nearly every source says....it's bad for the environment.
The blogs say that. The qualified sources do not.

The environment impact of typical household use of these is effectively non-existant. Most of these drain cleaner products are primarily bleach and lye, "concentrated" to a combined total of 10-20%, as opposed to 2-3% that normal bleach is sold at. These substances are hazardous in high concentrations, and require some precautions in intermediate concentrations such as drain cleaner, or in occupational exposure on an extended, daily basis, because they are highly reactive.

Because they are highly reactive, they also break down quickly when exposed to organic compounds, such as in waste water. The primary reaction product is salt water.

So the concerns about industrial scale use of chlorine based products don't actually scale down to household quantities and concentrations.

I do agree with the advice above to limit use in homes on septic systems, as you need to keep the bacteria in your septic system alive. It's one place you don't want to disinfect.

That said, I've never bothered to try these drain cleaners. When the drains start to get slow, I dump a couple tablespoons of baking soda down there, and slowly pour in a couple cups of vinegar until it stops bubbling. Then I pour a kettle of hot water down the drain to rinse it out.

So far, doing this once the drain starts to shown signs of blockage has kept things working well. We also use a screen over the drain when bathing our Labrador to reduce how much hair goes down\.

SoAnyway
Posts: 419
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:49 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:53 pm

OP, I'm sorry I can't help with the immediate clog. Once you get it taken care of via the excellent advice you're receiving, though, I agree with other posters that a screen/strainer will assure that you never have to go through this aggravation again. IowaFarmBoy and Burt have made a couple good suggestions below. At $13 for the TubShroom and $5 for the Hair Snare, though, the BH in me must offer another option: Nurses I know through work recommend something like this or this to their patients who are starting chemo. These can usually be found at the dollar store for (go figure) $1.

EDIT: Oh and to GreyingDuke's point, if you do need to remove something on top of the drain to use the products above, you can also pick up a rubber stopper at the dollar store for times when you want to fill the tub. ; )
burt wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:10 am
IowaFarmBoy wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:51 am
A suggestion for future dog bathing- you might want to look into a screen/strainer for the drain. It is a plastic cover that fits over the drain and catches hair before it gets into your pipes. My wife got them for our teenage daughters with long hair. Saved me much trouble.

We use something like this but there are many different brands/styles depending on how your tub is configured. If you have a stopper that is internal you can use a different type than if your plug is internal.

https://smile.amazon.com/Hair-Snare-Dra ... htub+drain

The TubShroom does the job and I've ordered more. Used to snake out the drain every 3 months, have been using this product for one year and no clogs. When it gets gunked up I put it in a ziplock bag with drain cleaner. Let it set 30 minutes, shake it up, rinse and it looks new.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CS ... =344740011

burt
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4395
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by joe8d » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:40 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:43 am
0. Access area under the sink, inside cabinet.
1. Remove "P" trap assembly. (clear debris as needed)
2. Use a "thin" coiled plumbing snake to clear the drain pipe going into the wall. Go as far as possible. Do not force.
3. Assemble and test, repeat as needed.

As previously suggested, use a screen over the drain when bathing dog. Also can be used all the time for those with long hair.
Yes, that's what I do. Drain screens can be bought at WalMart.
All the Best, | Joe

User avatar
cockersx3
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by cockersx3 » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:41 pm

leeks wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:28 am
Don't underestimate a good plunger. We tossed ours in the last move and our dollar-store replacement is nearly useless. But our old one (not sure where purchased) was able to unclog tubs when used aggressively.

Next time use a screen over the drain.
+1 on this. Plunging has always worked for me. Fill tub up around halfway, and put some duct tape around the perimeter of the overflow vent to help force all of the plunging action on the clog. Then, open up the drain to the tub (if this was actually necessary to fill the tub up) and plunge a few times...

BrendanP
Posts: 30
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:35 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by BrendanP » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:41 am

I used to use liquid plum but it never really did the job for more than a couple weeks.

Nowadays I try the following in this order.

Wet/dry vac with drain hero

Rigid Drain snake( not the hand cranked one there's one you can connect to a drill like a drill bit)

Pour boiling water donwe the drain and plunge it. Block any vent holes and.be careful.

Trism
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Trism » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm

Liquid Plumr

michaeljc70
Posts: 6025
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:46 pm

My Father would yell at my Mother when she used Draino or the like. I always wondered if he was right to complain. However, eventually the PVC coming from the kitchen sink got a hole in it and water was flowing into their family room. If it wasn't from the Draino, I'm not sure what could have caused that. A saw a NYT article that backed up that caustic drain cleaners are bad for PVC pipes. Other places say they don't cause damage. I'm surprised this hasn't been tested (Consumer Reports?).

mhalley
Posts: 7765
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:02 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by mhalley » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:52 pm

Plumbers are going to dis drano for multiple reasons.
1. If it works, you don’t have to call them, so they lose $100 or whatever the going rate is.
2. If it doesn’t work, they might be injured by it when they come to work on the pipe.

User avatar
N1CKV
Posts: 810
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by N1CKV » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 am

mhalley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm
Did he go through the overflow plate instead of the drain?
This is the first thing to do.

If that doesn't work... Back in high school and college I worked at a plumbing supply house (where plumbers shop for their material).
We carried a product, that MUST be used with caution, but is available to the general public, called Thrift.
This product is a crystallized drain cleaner (not liquid). The stuff is reactive to hot water and will eat through just about any clog. It is the stuff the pros went to when a chemical solution was called for.
https://www.amazon.com/Thrift-MARKETING ... B00E1N07LY
If you use this stuff be sure to read all instructions and warnings before opening it. Wear gloves and eye protection, flush your pipes after, but it definitely works.

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by criticalmass » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:11 am

N1CKV wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:03 am
mhalley wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 pm
Did he go through the overflow plate instead of the drain?
This is the first thing to do.

If that doesn't work... Back in high school and college I worked at a plumbing supply house (where plumbers shop for their material).
We carried a product, that MUST be used with caution, but is available to the general public, called Thrift.
This product is a crystallized drain cleaner (not liquid). The stuff is reactive to hot water and will eat through just about any clog. It is the stuff the pros went to when a chemical solution was called for.
https://www.amazon.com/Thrift-MARKETING ... B00E1N07LY
If you use this stuff be sure to read all instructions and warnings before opening it. Wear gloves and eye protection, flush your pipes after, but it definitely works.
Thrift is just Sodium Hydroxide (lye), in crystal (dry) form. See above in thread for sodium hydroxide cautions.

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4526
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by BolderBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:45 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:41 pm
I further tried this device designed to snake a drain- it's a straight, foot long piece of plastic with barbs. That didn't work either.
A 'foot long'? The one I have is 3' long, very flexible and worked perfectly for my slow draining shower. Bought it at Home Depot, I think.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

c1over8
Posts: 259
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:15 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by c1over8 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:25 pm

My plumber told me not to use draino. Can't remember what he told me to do instead but it involved household products - if I find where I wrote it down, I'll update. But I also live in a 100 year old house so that may have factored in.

Trism
Posts: 590
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:34 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by Trism » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:32 pm

Trism wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:10 pm
Liquid Plumr
Also, Drano. :)

User avatar
4nursebee
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:56 am
Location: US

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:55 pm

Ignore the internet.
Read the labels.
4nursebee

RudyS
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:11 am

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by RudyS » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:24 pm

I think that the exothermic reaction with Draino (lye), etc., MIGHT generate enough heat to damage a PVC pipe. No evidence, just my logic.

regularguy455
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Is Liquid Plumber / Draino bad for the pipes?

Post by regularguy455 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:53 pm

HoosierJim wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:54 am
I have a pretty heavy duty auger w/motor but it's a pain to setup and sometimes dangerous to use in tight quarters.

Found this at local store - for $14 - allows you to attach a portable drill - - once that snake starts bouncing around inside the pipe, it bores a full passage vs small pathway with those plastic barb tools. Run it the full 25 feet and you shouldn't have a problem.
+1

Had issues with the kitchen drain and tried a ton of different chemicals. Tried the hand auger but it struggled with bends. The auger attachment to the drill works like magic. Only takes a few minutes and the clog is cleared without chemicals.

Post Reply