Low flow shower head

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dmk395

Low flow shower head

Post by dmk395 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm

Just looked and saw my 2 are pumping out 2.5 gpm. Seems there's quite a few doing 1.5 gpm. Anyone switch to one they like with good results?
I work out a lot and shower twice a day without any trouble. Figuring this could really help.

criticalmass

Re: Low flow shower head

Post by criticalmass » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Just looked and saw my 2 are pumping out 2.5 gpm. Seems there's quite a few doing 1.5 gpm. Anyone switch to one they like with good results?
I work out a lot and shower twice a day without any trouble. Figuring this could really help.
Low flow? I don't like the sound of that.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheShowerhead.htm

Seriously though, I have no problem with mine. If it's designed well and you have decent pressure, you have the illusion that you're getting more water than is actually flowing down the drain.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm

How much water/money will it save you in the long run? Assuming a half-hour shower, you’d save 15 gallons of water (0.5 gpm x 30 minutes). 15 gallons/shower x 365 days = 5,475 gallons saved over the course of a year if you take a 1/2 hour shower every single day.

However, most utilities bill per hundred cubic feet (CCF). 748 gallons = 100 cubic feet. You’d save about 7.3 CCF of water per year. I don’t know your utility rates or even what average is (I’m on a well and septic), but Google says about $11 per CCF. You’d save about $80.30/year for every 0.5 gallons you save on a 1/2 hour shower taken 365 days per year.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:40 pm

6Pack wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:33 pm
How much water/money will it save you in the long run? Assuming a half-hour shower, you’d save 15 gallons of water (0.5 gpm x 30 minutes). 15 gallons/shower x 365 days = 5,475 gallons saved over the course of a year if you take a 1/2 hour shower every single day.

However, most utilities bill per hundred cubic feet (CCF). 748 gallons = 100 cubic feet. You’d save about 7.3 CCF of water per year. I don’t know your utility rates or even what average is (I’m on a well and septic), but Google says about $11 per CCF. You’d save about $80.30/year for every 0.5 gallons you save on a 1/2 hour shower taken 365 days per year.

So, the payback period on a $40 shower head would be six months then. Sounds like a good deal. Shorter payback in homes with more than one person taking showers. Shorter still when you consider the gas or electricity to heat the water.

We have an Oxygenics showerhead in the motorhome. 1.75 GPM. We like it better than the “normal” one in the house. I’m planning on switching the one in the house.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm

6Pack wrote:

Do you really take a 1/2 hr shower? :shock:

sport

Post by sport » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm

The last time I bought one, I bought one of these:

https://speakman.com/shower-and-bath/shower-heads

retired recently

Post by retired recently » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:58 pm

Wow, a 30 minute shower...at some stage hopefully folks will not only think of how much it costs but of the environmental cost as well...

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:02 pm

No. I’m married with 3 kids under 7 years old. My shower is about 5 minutes if I’m lucky. I used 1/2 hour as an arbitrary time. Just redo the math to see the savings.

Like I said, I’m on a well and septic, so I don’t know how much water/sewer bills are anyways.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 pm

6Pack wrote:

People seriously pay only $11/ccf? In my area it is more than twice that. And about 3 times that for some relatives on the other side of the country.

Regarding low flow showerheads, suggest trying a Niagara. They make them down to 0.5 gpm. Have not tried the 0.5 but the 1.5 gpm work quite well.
http://www.amconservationgroup.com/cate ... owerheads/ I'm not affiliated with the company, jut a happy customer.

Topic Author
dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 pm

While saving water, I'm also thinking about saving propane, since that heats my water. Cutting my shower water usage by nearly half will surely cut my gas bill.

sport

Post by sport » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:21 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:05 pm
People seriously pay only $11/ccf? In my area it is more than twice that. And about 3 times that for some relatives on the other side of the country.
We pay $6/ccf. Of course, we live near a very big lake.

Post by 123 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:22 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 pm
While saving water, I'm also thinking about saving propane, since that heats my water. Cutting my shower water usage by nearly half will surely cut my gas bill.
+1 The costs of hot water are often where the real savings are. It can also seem to increase the capacity of your hot water heater. We have a 50 gallon water heater but with 3 showers going at 1.5 gpm instead of 2.5 gpm we have less of a chance of the DW getting cold water with the lower gpm showerheads. Happy wife, happy life.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:43 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 pm
Heating 15 gallons (57kg) from 50F (10C) t 105F (40C) takes about 7.1MJ or 2kWhrs. That's about 25cents if you use electric, about the same for propane. So the energy savings are similar in magnitude to the water savings, reducing the payback time to perhaps 3 months.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 pm

We have a couple of these on a fairly low pressure water system and they work well. High Sierra's All Metal 1.5 GPM High Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead. Available in: Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Oil Rubbed Bronze, or Polished Brass

Topic Author
dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:29 am

Mike Scott wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 pm
We have a couple of these on a fairly low pressure water system and they work well. High Sierra's All Metal 1.5 GPM High Efficiency Low Flow Showerhead. Available in: Chrome, Brushed Nickel, Oil Rubbed Bronze, or Polished Brass

just purchased on amazon, thanks for the rec

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:34 am

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:42 pm
6Pack wrote:

Do you really take a 1/2 hr shower? :shock:
1/2 hour might be the right number for a family of 4 :)

I don't worry about this. I save enough water by only watering my lawn once weekly in the summer versus twice daily like my neighbors.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:46 am

A few years ago I put these in all of my showers:
https://www.amazon.com/stores/node/8932 ... 8932879011

They also have their own website with more info if you google it..

They come in different GPMs. The thing I like about these is that they don't aerate the water and they don't sting like other low flow heads we've tried. They use a pretty cool, yet simple method, to break the water up as it flows out. Doesn't even feel "low flow". Some reviewers complain that they're noisy; we've never really experienced that. Also we have hard water where we are, but because the opening is large, we haven't had any issues with calcium buildup.

Cheers...

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am

A 1/2 hour shower.
Does seem long, but a while ago on another thread some woman claimed a one hour shower time. The thread had to do with the environment in some way and she said she did not care. There was plenty if water and she could afford it.
If you are in the showers for 30 minutes or an hour, what could you be doing?
Still, I am glad to see the OP and others concerned about their use of water. I thnk it boils down to a bit more than a dollar and cents frame of view.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:50 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 am
A 1/2 hour shower.
Does seem long, but a while ago on another thread some woman claimed a one hour shower time. The thread had to do with the environment in some way and she said she did not care. There was plenty if water and she could afford it.
Still, I am glad to see the OP and others concerned about their use of water. I thnk it boils down to a bit more than a dollar and cents frame of view.
Many don't realize that household water use only account for about 1% of water use in the US. If water is a real issue - industrial and agricultural uses are where the real use-age occurs (and where the real savings could be had).

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:50 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
A 1/2 hour shower.
Many don't realize that household water use only account for about 1% of water use in the US. If water is a real issue - industrial and agricultural uses are where the real use-age occurs (and where the real savings could be had).
That depends where you are. There isn't a semi-national water grid like electricity; sources and uses are very local. In my town, residential household water is about 80%, with commercial businesses about 20%. And the town is extremely interested in conservation with household use, especially in dry summer months when the reservoir level is decreasing.

In Southern California, household water is even more of a premium real issue. There just isn't extra water to waste--the water that is sent to homes and businesses comes from other areas (like the Sierra Nevada region and Colorado river basin) that have gone bone dry to support greater Los Angeles (and San Francisco bay area) water use. While more affluent water uses tend to consume/waste more, low income communities have been saving much more water--likely due to pricing and demand elasticity. Low flow fixtures like shower heads installed across the region have had a tremendous benefit.
Last edited by criticalmass on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

THY4373

Post by THY4373 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:57 am

The only low flow shower head I liked was a Bricor. I had the B125 I believe at my last house. Good pressure and more importantly didn't cool down the water by adding air. Basically it put out about 1/2 the flow of a standard shower head but it truly felt like more than the standard shower head.

http://bricor.com/products/

Debating about buying one for my currently rental and taking it with my when I move. It is less important here since I head with gas vs electric at the old place.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 am

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:55 am
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:50 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
A 1/2 hour shower.
That depends where you are. There isn't a semi-national water grid like electricity; sources and uses are very local. In my town, residential household water is about 80%, with commercial businesses about 20%. And the town is extremely interested in conservation with household use, especially in dry summer months when the reservoir level is decreasing.

In Southern California, household water is even more of a premium real issue. There just isn't extra water to waste--the water that is sent to homes and businesses comes from other areas (like the Sierra Nevada region and Colorado river basin) that have gone bone dry to support greater Los Angeles (and San Francisco bay area) water use. While more affluent water uses tend to consume/waste more, low income communities have been saving much more water--likely due to pricing and demand elasticity. Low flow fixtures like shower heads installed across the region have had a tremendous benefit.
The dryer parts of the West are exactly where agricultural water use is most wasteful (in some cases we spend more to supply water to farms in arid areas than what the food is worth). Sure - in your town (which has no large industrial farms) - residential use might by 80%. But then you might have a farm 20 miles away that has an aqueduct supplying it that is using huge volumes of water that could easily eliminate any shortage in your town. California has one of the worse (if not the worse) ratios in the country since so many farms are in arid areas.
(EDIT Add: Here is one source of data - in California 127Million Gallons of water a day are used for household consumption BUT 19BILLION gallons a day are used for irrigation. https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1441/circ1441.pdf)

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm

The first thing I do in any new dwelling is swap out the 'low-flow' shower heads for something that actually put out a lot of water. My shower ends up being more efficient and thus shorter :beer

Same thing when any toilet starts to leak: I make sure not to get the 'tiny flush' version when shopping for replacement parts :D

But when it comes to irrigation it's best to get the latest possible equipment. This is where your real water savings come from. A couple showers and toilet flushes doesn't make much difference in comparison.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:29 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:21 pm
The first thing I do in any new dwelling is swap out the 'low-flow' shower heads for something that actually put out a lot of water. My shower ends up being more efficient and thus shorter :beer

Same thing when any toilet starts to leak: I make sure not to get the 'tiny flush' version when shopping for replacement parts :D

But when it comes to irrigation it's best to get the latest possible equipment. This is where your real water savings come from. A couple showers and toilet flushes doesn't make much difference in comparison.
I use one of those large overhead drenching showerheads that puts out a lot of water. But I combine that with cutting off the water while I'm lathering. This is accomplished by rotating a selector on the shower head.
Total water usage is similar but I find it more time efficient and more satisfying.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm

6Pack wrote:

Just checked my bill. My area (Southern California) the water is $5.50 per HCF. But the sewer bill is based on winter water usage, and the total for both is around $18 per HCF.

When we were looking into getting solar hot water I went to a workshop where they taught us how to do the math to figure out how much our hot water usage cost. For us (two adults, shorter showers, not much laundry, gas water heater) it was $9/month, so we didn’t bother with solar. Electric hot water was about six times the price, though. When I had an all electric place I was taking showers at the gym because of the cost of hot water.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Saving$ wrote:
6Pack wrote:

Try moving to the desert. Water is cheaper where it is harder to get. Simple supply and demand turned on its head by politics:

Las Vegas, NV: $12.29 monthly base charge + $0.92 per CCF (plus $18.42/month for sewer), 4.2 inches average annual precipitation.

Seattle, WA: $16.10 monthly base charge + $5.20 per CCF (plus $13.46 per CCF for sewer, based on the fresh water meter), 37.5 inches average annual precipitation.

Unsurprisingly, as a result, average daily water use in Seattle is around 50 gallons per person per day, while in Las Vegas it is around 200 gallons per person per day.

tommy85

Post by tommy85 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm

We got ours from our utility company for free. I would check with yours.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm

sport wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:48 pm

What is your opinion of the one you bought?

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 am
The dryer parts of the West are exactly where agricultural water use is most wasteful (in some cases we spend more to supply water to farms in arid areas than what the food is worth). Sure - in your town (which has no large industrial farms) - residential use might by 80%. But then you might have a farm 20 miles away that has an aqueduct supplying it that is using huge volumes of water that could easily eliminate any shortage in your town. California has one of the worse (if not the worse) ratios in the country since so many farms are in arid areas.
(EDIT Add: Here is one source of data - in California 127Million Gallons of water a day are used for household consumption BUT 19BILLION gallons a day are used for irrigation. https://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/1441/circ1441.pdf)
That first figure is off. The water use per person in California is WAY more than 3 gallons per day. The lower use regions like the Bay Area consume around 15 times that much. From further reading of the document you linked, it appears the 127 million gallon per day figure is for domestic self-supply (eg, private wells), supplying about 4% of the population. Public water supplied for domestic uses appears to 3.2 billion gpd of the 5.15 billion total public water usage.

Overall, public water usage accounts for 5.15 billion of the 25.6 billion gpd of freshwater usage in California.

Also, keep in mind that withdrawing water from Central Valley wells or rivers, and then irrigating the same watershed with that water, as is the case for much of California's agricultural usage, has a significantly different overall impact than piping that water hundreds of miles to an entirely different watershed.

Overall, there's a lot of room for improvement in both categories. They show almost half the irrigated acres in California as still using surface irrigation, and no doubt that method uses a disproportionate amount of water. However, they also mention California reduced its irrigation use by 4 billion gpd from 2010 to 2015, or nearly 20%, a really significant decrease. I'd be curious to learn if public water use has declined a similar amount.
Last edited by iamlucky13 on Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sport

Post by sport » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:57 pm

SquawkIdent wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm
sport wrote:

Well, we moved from that house 12 years ago. However, as best as I can recall, we were happy with it. The adjustable spray feature was nice.

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:59 pm

sport wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:57 pm
SquawkIdent wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:02 pm
sport wrote:

Well, we moved from that house 12 years ago. However, as best as I can recall, we were happy with it. The adjustable spray feature was nice.
Thanks. I’ve seen them in higher end hotels and thought they worked great.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm

Is your goal to save water, to save energy used to heat that water, or to save money?
A low flow shower head could help with all of those, but I suspect they are a drop in the bucket ;)

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:38 pm

dknightd wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:06 pm
Is your goal to save water, to save energy used to heat that water, or to save money?
A low flow shower head could help with all of those, but I suspect they are a drop in the bucket ;)
A 1.5 gpm showerhead would reduce all three by 40% compared to the standard 2.5 gpm, if you shower for the same amount of time.

Topic Author
dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:26 pm

I'm trying to save money, water and energy. Based on running numbers, I will accomplish my goal

Jeep4Life

Post by Jeep4Life » Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:31 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:48 pm
DaftInvestor wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:10 am
That first figure is off. The water use per person in California is WAY more than 3 gallons per day. The lower use regions like the Bay Area consume around 15 times that much. From further reading of the document you linked, it appears the 127 million gallon per day figure is for domestic self-supply (eg, private wells), supplying about 4% of the population. Public water supplied for domestic uses appears to 3.2 billion gpd of the 5.15 billion total public water usage.

Overall, public water usage accounts for 5.15 billion of the 25.6 billion gpd of freshwater usage in California.

Also, keep in mind that withdrawing water from Central Valley wells or rivers, and then irrigating the same watershed with that water, as is the case for much of California's agricultural usage, has a significantly different overall impact than piping that water hundreds of miles to an entirely different watershed.

Overall, there's a lot of room for improvement in both categories. They show almost half the irrigated acres in California as still using surface irrigation, and no doubt that method uses a disproportionate amount of water. However, they also mention California reduced its irrigation use by 4 billion gpd from 2010 to 2015, or nearly 20%, a really significant decrease. I'd be curious to learn if public water use has declined a similar amount.
I have been driving across some of these surface irrigated areas, they spray water in the air when the temperature is ~100F, and the winds are blowing at ~20 to 30 MPH. How any of the water they pump actually lands on the plants is a complete mystery to me.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:56 am

I really like our rain shower head, low flow but effective.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:24 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:54 pm
Saving$ wrote:
6Pack wrote:

Try moving to the desert. Water is cheaper where it is harder to get. Simple supply and demand turned on its head by politics:

Las Vegas, NV: $12.29 monthly base charge + $0.92 per CCF (plus $18.42/month for sewer), 4.2 inches average annual precipitation.

Seattle, WA: $16.10 monthly base charge + $5.20 per CCF (plus $13.46 per CCF for sewer, based on the fresh water meter), 37.5 inches average annual precipitation.

Unsurprisingly, as a result, average daily water use in Seattle is around 50 gallons per person per day, while in Las Vegas it is around 200 gallons per person per day.
On the other hand, Las Vegas drinking water comes from nearby Lake Mead. And Las Vegas (treated) sewer water goes into....Lake Mead. So it’s almost a closed system except for irrigation, outdoor use, etc.

mancich

Post by mancich » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:46 pm

We installed a low flow head in our girls' bathroom not too long ago. Of course, with 3 girls, one of them now 15, saving water is a relative term :o

champion_ham

Post by champion_ham » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:47 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:02 pm
dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:14 pm
Low flow? I don't like the sound of that.

http://www.seinfeldscripts.com/TheShowerhead.htm
+1 LOL!

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:02 pm

The stated flow rate assumes a specific amount of water pressure where the water enters the shower head. Your pressure where the water first comes into your house may be very different from others. The pressure gradient from there to the shower head varies from house to house.
IMHO low flow shower heads make sense where water is scarce but not in areas with plentiful rivers.
You can remove the plastic piece from inside at least some of these low flow shower heads (some have more than one) and improve the flow.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

GoPackGo

Post by GoPackGo » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:05 pm

I’ve bought these a few times, http://www.highsierrashowerheads.com/ . Just the basic ones (closest now I guess would be the “Classic Plus”), they’ve added different models that I haven’t tried yet. They may not look particularly great but they don’t use much water, but doesn’t feel like there is less water (like the Seinfeld bit).

I don’t know if their site still accepts coupon codes, but the code “nirvana” (from the end if this review https://www.tririg.com/articles.php?id= ... ead&page=3 ) used to work for a long time. I believe they have a storefront on Amazon too, they used to at least.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:13 pm

6Pack wrote:

unless you're on a well

southerndoc

Post by southerndoc » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:10 am

I would love to find a 5 GPM shower wand. The 2.5 just isn't enough. Not sure how anyone can use a low-flow shower head/wand, but more power to them. My 10-minute shower is about the only relaxing time I have out of the day, and I certainly don't want to ruin it with a 1 GPM shower head.