Shell $0.05/gal discount card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Shell $0.05/gal discount card

Post by sunny_socal »

Shell has a great discount card:
https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards ... lsrc=aw.ds

- Free to join
- No annoying application process
- Instant discount at the pump
- Easy to use: Swipe the card, then swipe your favorite credit card as usual

My local Shell has the best gas price in the region (apart from Costco.) I use my Costco visa for another 4% savings :beer

I love this card! Pick one up at your local shell station, then activate it from your phone.

danaht

Re: Shell $0.05/gal discount card

Post by danaht »

Thanks. Good to know. I really like Shell - and even own some of their stock. Unfortunately a lot of Shell stations have been converted to Exxon stations in my area - but I have a few Shell stations left still by my work.
Duffus

Post by Duffus »

I use mine a lot! Pair it up with my Sams Club CC for another 5% :dollar

Duffus
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Thanks. Speedway has a rewards program that gets you 3 cents per gallon. You buy a prepaid card using any credit card you want, and then use the Speedway card to purchase your fuel. I stock up on gas cards when my Chase or Citi card gives 5% as the quarterly category.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Shell costs $.05 more than other stations here, unfortunately.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Unfortunately Shell is consistently higher here in the Chicago area. Even with the discount it is higher than others.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

If you have a Kroger near you and you are a frequent customer of Amazon.com they have a Gas rewards program for up to $1.00 per gallon if you have 1,000 points in a month, expires the next month so at most you get 2 months to use it.

What I do is wait for the 4x gift card sale $250 in Amazon gift cards gets you 1,000 points, which you can use at Shell for $1.00 off a gallon.
Been doing it for a few years now, especially during the summer I fill up the car and two 5 Gal containers for the mower.
I don't know how they do it or who's making the money but it seems I'm reaping the most benefit.

They have a limit, I forget what it is I'm thinking about $75 worth of gas. Aprox, something like that.
I've never come close to the limit.
...............................................................................................................................
Edit.
There are other many other gift cards besides Amazon... I forgot to mention that.
Last edited by Smoke on Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Giant and Stop & Shop and Dunkin Donut cards link to Shell, adding points toward gas. Since Stop & Shop and Giant will have new promotions every week, this becomes a manufactured spending opportunity. For example, 2X gas points for Visa gift cards. Pay $5.95 activation on a $500 card, pay $0.88 to convert to a wal mart money order and deposit. Get 2% back from credit card ($10) and $1 per gallon off of gas, up to 20 gallons. Add the Shell 5 cents and that's $1.05 off per gallon. Find someone else to get the shell card and if they use it, you get another 25 cents a gallon.

If anyone wants a link (to get me 25 cents :D), feel free to message me.

If a gift card is not on promotion, it earns zero.

Price Chopper has a similar thing with Sunoco gas. Closed cycle gift cards (no MC, Visa, AMEX) do earn gas points.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Parthenon

Post by Parthenon »

bob60014 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:14 am Unfortunately Shell is consistently higher here in the Chicago area. Even with the discount it is higher than others.
In Westmont, a western suburb of Chicago, Shell is $.10 higher than the BP across the street. Not much of a bargain with the card!

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Maybe this a high gas cost state perspective (CA), but % cards appear better. Current gas prices are low-to-mid $3.XX/gallon and local Cosco regular is $3.06. WF Propel Am Ex with no annual fees gives 3% on gas (and flights, hotels, and dining out) is more than 5c/gallon. Fido's Visa flat 2% is a good one card solution and still more than the 5c/gallon.
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Why do I want to use a Shell card saving me 5 cents when the local Shell stations are 8-12 cents per gallon MORE? I would rather buy gas at QuikTrip or Krogers.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

jlawrence01 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:31 am Why do I want to use a Shell card saving me 5 cents when the local Shell stations are 8-12 cents per gallon MORE? I would rather buy gas at QuikTrip or Krogers.
It saves you money if you've combined offers. What if you could buy gas for $1 off per gallon?

The 5 cents per gallon is the minimum if you have no points built up. Heck.....go into the gas station and buy a Shell gift card for $100. That alone bumps you to 10 cents a gallon off.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

jlawrence01 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:31 am Why do I want to use a Shell card saving me 5 cents when the local Shell stations are 8-12 cents per gallon MORE? I would rather buy gas at QuikTrip or Krogers.
Clearly you wouldn’t. But if you were in the same situation as the OP (to quote: “My local Shell has the best gas price in the region”) this would be a useful tip for you, too. And maybe keeping a card in the car console in case you travel and come across a Shell station might still be helpful?

I’ll offer another related tip for an extra penny off if you are an IHG Platinum elite (any IHG Club Visa card holder gets that status automatically):

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/ihg-new.html
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Interesting remarks about Shell. Locally, all stations in a geographic area have the same prices. So the Shell is nearly the same as the QT as the Phillips as the BP. You have to get further away to get much variation in price, or have a shift in progress.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I use nothing but Shell in my car. A nickel a gallon is not enough to entice me to carry an additional card in my wallet and to swipe an extra card every time I fill up.

If the reward doubles or more, I might consider it. If they would allow me to tie it to one or more of my credit cards, it would be a no-brainer.
CABob

Post by CABob »

In my neighborhood a Circle K has the best price with a Shell station a few cents higher. Obviously, if your area has Shell as one of the higher priced stations this deal is no deal for you.
If the card gets you a cheaper price for gas I'm all for it, but am a bit confused.
It sounds as if one has to swipe the Shell card then swipe a credit card. Correct? Sounds like a nuisance but OK.
Does the gas pump change its price per gallon to reflect the 5-cent reduction? If not how does one get the discount?
Bob
Duffus

Post by Duffus »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm I use nothing but Shell in my car. A nickel a gallon is not enough to entice me to carry an additional card in my wallet and to swipe an extra card every time I fill up.

If the reward doubles or more, I might consider it. If they would allow me to tie it to one or more of my credit cards, it would be a no-brainer.
It works up if you buy stuff in the store. I have had it go as high as .25 per gallon(20 gal. max).
I too hate cards but you can use your phone# once enrolled. I almost believe you can tie it to your current rewards card.

Duffus
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

Maybe QuikTrip because I see that they are a Top Tier brand. I don't see Kroger listed though. It's worth it to me to pay more for quality gasoline.
https://www.toptiergas.com/licensed-brands/

I get gas points for shopping at King Soopers (owned by Kroger) that are good $1.00 off at King Soopers gas or 10 cents at Shell stations. I use it at Shell because I don't see King Soopers listed as a Top Tier brand.
Tdubs

Post by Tdubs »

Interesting, I've never lived any place where Shell was even close to cheapest. I only pull in when I have no choice.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Here's the Gas Buddy report for my zip code:

Top 10 Lowest Gas Prices
1.99 7-Eleven
2.03 Phillips 66
2.03 Phillips 66
2.04 Phillips 66
2.04 Shell
2.05 Mobil
2.05 BP
2.05 QuikTrip
2.05 Huck's
2.05 Phillips 66
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:39 pm I use nothing but Shell in my car. A nickel a gallon is not enough to entice me to carry an additional card in my wallet and to swipe an extra card every time I fill up.
Leave the card in your car. Unless you frequently use rental cars, it seems pointless to use up a wallet slot.

And then move to OR or NJ and just hand the card together with your credit card to the gas station attendant. Let them do the swiping ;)
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TravelGeek wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:20 pm
Leave the card in your car. Unless you frequently use rental cars, it seems pointless to use up a wallet slot.

And then move to OR or NJ and just hand the card together with your credit card to the gas station attendant. Let them do the swiping ;)
That plan sounded so simple at first ... :beer

I will have to give that idea some thought as DW rarely uses Shell and I don't care what goes in the tank of a rental car.

ETA: Just signed up online. They are supposed to mail me a card, but if not I can use my phone # and will try to remember to pick a card up the next time I get gas.
Last edited by Doom&Gloom on Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retiringwhen

Post by retiringwhen »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:19 pm Interesting remarks about Shell. Locally, all stations in a geographic area have the same prices. So the Shell is nearly the same as the QT as the Phillips as the BP. You have to get further away to get much variation in price, or have a shift in progress.
Within 10 miles of me, I can find gas prices that range as much as $.40/gallon on Regular gas...... regularly within a mile of each other. I find that demand pricing is real here, basically price is largely determined by what side of the road the station is located on..... Almost always cheaper on the way away from NYC and more expensive the further off large highways.
gator1

Post by gator1 »

You can type in your phone number instead of swiping the card. My car requires premium so every little bit helps.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

Why not just use a phone number instead? I rarely use Shell due to higher prices in my area, but occasionally when traveling it is among the lowest prices (e.g. Las Vegas area). I don't carry the card around, but just use a phone number I've tied to the account and presto! If you buy more fuel from Shell they increase the reward for frequent customers.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 am

Why not just use a phone number instead? I rarely use Shell due to higher prices in my area, but occasionally when traveling it is among the lowest prices (e.g. Las Vegas area). I don't carry the card around, but just use a phone number I've tied to the account and presto! If you buy more fuel from Shell they increase the reward for frequent customers.
Thanks to you and gator1 for the suggestion. I will likely try both methods to see what I prefer. I hate using the keypads on gas pumps because I sometimes accidentally double-hit a key but mostly because the screens are often very hard to read (even more so if wearing polarized sunglasses).

It is good to hear that they do bump up the discount for frequent customers.

And thanks to OP for the thread!
GDBryan

Post by GDBryan »

Occasionally T-Mobile has a deal on T-Mobile Tuesday where you can get an additional $.25 per gallon discount. You can just copy and paste the code into the app then get it when you go to Shell.

BTW, I enter my phone number at the pump so I don't need to have the card.
dp102288

Post by dp102288 »

Shell does have a thingy where you do not have to swipe your Shell card or enter your phone number. You can use your credit card & it looks up your account. Or something like that, I don't actually have this set up myself.

https://www.fuelrewards.com/fuelrewards/link

(I think) I have also seen on their fuel rewards site that purchases made elsewhere can count towards the discount per gallon. But that requires giving them your credit card info, & I supposed they monitor what your purchase on your card.