Lottery Tickets

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jfn111

Lottery Tickets

Post by jfn111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 am

Question for you all. I'm sending out my Holiday cards to past customers and was thinking of throwing in a $2.00 scratch card wishing everyone "Luck and Happiness" in the new year. Is this to corny or do you think people would get a kick out of it?
It seems half the board hates real estate agents and never want to hear from them but you need to remind people that your still alive and in business.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Andrew321

Re: Lottery Tickets

Post by Andrew321 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am

jfn111 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:56 am
Question for you all. I'm sending out my Holiday cards to past customers and was thinking of throwing in a $2.00 scratch card wishing everyone "Luck and Happiness" in the new year. Is this to corny or do you think people would get a kick out of it?
It seems half the board hates real estate agents and never want to hear from them but you need to remind people that your still alive and in business.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I always appreciate lottery tickets. They're fun, if nothing else.

a_movable_life

Post by a_movable_life » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 am

My co-worker used to do this. Everyone would play the game and usually one or two people would win 2 dollars.

I really like the tactile action of scratching off the paint. My friend was in a class that the scantron tests were scratch off.

Had to remember that this was not the time to educate everyone on how the lottery is a poor investment, :D

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 am

I think it is both corny, and people will get a kick out of it.

student

Post by student » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 am

I think it is fun to receive.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:49 am

I think it would be great. However, there are some folks, mostly older, who strongly feel that any type of gambling, drinking, swearing, etc. is offensive. Having grown up in such a family, those thoughts continue to exist while engaging in all of the above on occasion. In today's world, it is difficult to predict what will be considered offensive, but most things, unfortunately, will be by some! :happy

Tim

FamilyMan

Post by FamilyMan » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 am

This reminds me of a reddit thread I linked below. It was an AMA ("Ask me anything") of a lottery winner who won over 10 million dollars from a lottery card that a friend gave him. Could you imagine being the friend? That boggles my mind. That being said, the thread is very interesting Q&A with an anonymous lottery winner and what's life like after winning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... me_almost/

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:14 am

Fun - I'd do it.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 am

Sounds like a good way to keep your name "fresh" with past clients who could possibly lead to repeat business. I know I've given a realtor repeat business even after a lapse of 10+ years. I get a bunch of holiday cards from businesses that go straight to the trash after opening, quickly to be forgotten, but I would remember the person/business who included a scratch off in one. If I were the OP, I would only send them to actual past clients, not just random people from a cold call mailing list.

Topic Author
jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:38 am

tim1999 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:16 am
Sounds like a good way to keep your name "fresh" with past clients who could possibly lead to repeat business. I know I've given a realtor repeat business even after a lapse of 10+ years. I get a bunch of holiday cards from businesses that go straight to the trash after opening, quickly to be forgotten, but I would remember the person/business who included a scratch off in one. If I were the OP, I would only send them to actual past clients, not just random people from a cold call mailing list.
Thanks, That was my plan. Just for people that I've done a transaction with. (I have a couple of repeat investors I work with and they're getting nicer gifts. :D )

Topic Author
jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:54 am

FamilyMan wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:03 am
This reminds me of a reddit thread I linked below. It was an AMA ("Ask me anything") of a lottery winner who won over 10 million dollars from a lottery card that a friend gave him. Could you imagine being the friend? That boggles my mind. That being said, the thread is very interesting Q&A with an anonymous lottery winner and what's life like after winning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/ ... me_almost/
That was an interesting thread. :shock:

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 am

Not to be “that guy”, but I believe US Postal regulations prohibit the mailing of “games of chance”, which includes lottery tickets.

J295

Post by J295 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:00 am

Sounds great. Wonderful to keep your name in front of past customers.

My spouse sells real estate, and when someone mentions to her or me that they have seen her name in some advertising around town she sends them a nice note and a gift card to the local coffee shop.

Back in the day before retirement when I was practicing law, I would send out about popcorn tins or Omaha steaks or whatever to various clients. Some of them I hadn’t done business with for a while. And Then within the next month or so a number would call and say it’s time that we review this contract, or do XY or Z. Just keeping my name in front of them in a personal way seemed to be a good business decision.

Topic Author
jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 am

6Pack wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:56 am
Not to be “that guy”, but I believe US Postal regulations prohibit the mailing of “games of chance”, which includes lottery tickets.
It's a confusing rule because the State Lottery allows you to mail in your winning ticket for redemption. They also have second chance drawings where you mail in your tickets.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:26 am

jfn111 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:10 am
6Pack wrote:
It's a confusing rule because the State Lottery allows you to mail in your winning ticket for redemption. They also have second chance drawings where you mail in your tickets.
That’s because once the game is over (the ticket has been scratched off), it’s no longer a “game of chance” but a beater instrument, much like a check.

TerryDMillerMBA

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 am

6Pack wrote:
It's not like he is engaging in some ongoing illegal operation. It's just gifts.

DYK?: The USA might not have beat Great Brittain in the Revolutionary War without using lotteries.

Topic Author
jfn111

Post by jfn111 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 am

I don't need any problems with the Commerce Department, or Postal Inspectors. How about I send them a $2.00 bill?

aspirit

Post by aspirit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:14 am

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 am
6Pack wrote:
It's not like he is engaging in some ongoing illegal operation. It's just gifts.

DYK?: The USA might not have beat Great Brittain in the Revolutionary War without using lotteries.
Great point TDMMBA!~
Govt. run Lotto's have financed many spendthrift gov. programs going way back to the 1500s.iirc.

Its sound like a great way to stay in the loop OP. I was RE licensed in NewEngland in 88', but did it as a additional learning route.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:28 am

Chicago60 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:05 am
I think it is both corny, and people will get a kick out of it.
This. I would love it.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 am

I'd think a case could be make that scratch-off tickets are already bearer instruments, and so not subject to the rule in question. After all, their value has already been decided and does not change dependent on some pending game of chance. That value is simply temporarily obscured under the scratch-off material. Like mailing a Powerball ticket after the drawing has been held, where the result is obscured temporarily by the envelope.

OP, I think your original idea is a good and fun one. $2.00 cash is much less fun and less likely to make an impression. Why not ask the USPS for an opinion? And get the name of the USPS person who responds, of course.
Semper Augustus

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:30 pm

TerryDMillerMBA wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:29 am
6Pack wrote:

I get your point, it's not like OP is running some sort of scheme to defraud anyone. I'm just the messenger.

Turns out it's a federal criminal law, not just a postal regulation 18 USC 1302:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1302
Whoever knowingly deposits in the mail, or sends or delivers by mail:
Any letter, package, postal card, or circular concerning any lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance;
Any lottery ticket or part thereof, or paper, certificate, or instrument purporting to be or to represent a ticket, chance, share, or interest in or dependent upon the event of a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance;
Any check, draft, bill, money, postal note, or money order, for the purchase of any ticket or part thereof, or of any share or chance in any such lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme;
Any newspaper, circular, pamphlet, or publication of any kind containing any advertisement of any lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme of any kind offering prizes dependent in whole or in part upon lot or chance, or containing any list of the prizes drawn or awarded by means of any such lottery, gift enterprise, or scheme, whether said list contains any part or all of such prizes;
Any article described in section 1953 of this title—
Shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both; and for any subsequent offense shall be imprisoned not more than five years.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:02 pm

I wouldn't.

We have a relative that gives lottery tickets on birthdays. She gave my wife $10 in lottery tickets, sort of the "I know we don't do big gifts, this is just a little something". $10 in lottery tickets turns into $3 or $4 maybe. Tells us the giver isn't the brightest bulb.

If a business person sent me a lottery ticket, I'd think the same. Not to bright.

Better idea - "ABC Realty values our community. To thank you for your business and referrals, instead of sending gifts, we have donated $XXX ($2 per client) to (name of non-political, community charity, like a food bank or soup kitchen). In this time of seasonal celebration, we hope our small donation can help those less fortunate. Happy Holidays!"
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:07 pm

I'd think it's stupid and corny, and then I'd scratch off the ticket to see if I won anything. :happy
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm

To me, sounds super tacky!

And I buy them once every blue moon.

Good luck.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:24 pm

F150HD wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Good luck.
I had written a slightly longer reply, but it started with this.

I'll just double down here :wink:

And IF one offends sme current/past customer who are truly anti-gambling (or know someone with a gambling problem!), then that's too high a risk, too.
Why gamble with it?
Literally.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Cyclone

Post by Cyclone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:29 pm

I think the lottery ticket is fine. I can't believe anyone would go to prison over that.

I did read about a very successful car salesman who sends his customers a postcard that simply says, "I like you!". It sounds really stupid, but it works.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:38 pm

for your purpose it's probably fine. I had a co-worker give lottery tickets as a Christmas gift several years in a row (I worked with him for maybe 4 years before he retired). He gave one ticket of each of the following denominations $2, $3, $5,and $10 (so he spent $20 total). Most years I won something like a couple bucks or mabye $5 or $10 at the most (one year I won nothing). I never won $20 or more. Since he spent $20 on me but I never saw the $20, that led me to think (but never say), "It would have been better for him to just give me the $20 instead of buying lottery tickets."
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:49 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:24 pm
F150HD wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:17 pm

Good luck.
I had written a slightly longer reply, but it started with this.

I'll just double down here :wink:

And IF one offends sme current/past customer who are truly anti-gambling (or know someone with a gambling problem!), then that's too high a risk, too.
Why gamble with it?
Literally.

RM
Agree. I don’t know what “triggers” those with gambling problems react to, but imo it’s a bit like gifting alcohol indiscriminately, without knowing who has a drinking problem.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm

In economics this is know as the Law of Reciprocity. Basically, if you do something nice for me I’ll do something nice for you. I feel obligated to reciprocate. So by you giving me a lottery ticket I feel obligated to give you something, basically a listing if I'm selling my house.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:28 pm

jerryk68 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:25 pm
In economics this is know as the Law of Reciprocity. Basically, if you do something nice for me I’ll do something nice for you. I feel obligated to reciprocate. So by you giving me a lottery ticket I feel obligated to give you something, basically a listing if I'm selling my house.
The issue isn't the philosophy of gift giving (with or without expecting something in return).

It's whether a *lottery ticket* is suitable.
IF giving a gift in this context is desired/appropriate, perhaps something else might be more suitable.
Or not.
But I think *that* is the issue here.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Derby

Post by Derby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:47 pm

jfn111 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:38 am
I don't need any problems with the Commerce Department, or Postal Inspectors. How about I send them a $2.00 bill?

Funny you should mention this, I just received a two dollar bill yesterday from Steve at TripInsuranceStore.com.
(I mention him by name just because I heard of him through this forum. I recommend him highly if you need or want trip insurance.)
Carpe Diem.