Honda Pilot - Improving Traction

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Honda Pilot - Improving Traction

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 am

I have a ~10 year old Honda Pilot FWD and the tires once in a while spin while starting from a stop, especially in the rain. They also seem a bit prone to hydroplane. My tires are pretty old (have 4/32 of tread left) but my mechanic said they don't need to be replaced and are Michelin's that get an 8.0 Wet Performance and 8.6 Dry Performance on Tire Rack.

Is the tire spin normal - especially with older Pilots? Think replacing the tires would help at all with better traction? My other car is AWD so I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to having better traction.

fh2000

Re: Honda Pilot - Improving Traction

Post by fh2000 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 am

I have a even older pilot, 2006. I do not drive much but I rotate the 2 front tires to the back,and get 2 new ones on the front about every 4-5 years. I consider this is cheap way to provide safety.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:35 am

Sounds like you need new tires. Especially in wet your tires remaining tread is now really in the marginal traction that is made worse by their age.

According to tire rack 4/32 is when to change if in wet conditions.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/t ... techid=184

There is extensive test data to support this.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:44 am

If your tires are old, they may be suffering from dry rot and need to be replaced regardless of how much tread is left on them. So I second the recommendation for new tires.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:53 am

Thanks all. I'll pick up some new tires. I figure it's cheaper than a new car :) or worse an accident due to poor traction

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:53 am

Time to replace the tires (tread depth).

Not just for your safety but for the safety of the other drivers on the road.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:44 am

fh2000 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:33 am
I have a even older pilot, 2006. I do not drive much but I rotate the 2 front tires to the back,and get 2 new ones on the front about every 4-5 years. I consider this is cheap way to provide safety.
Although your intent is good, in a front drive vehicle the best tires should generally be placed on the rear of the vehicle. This is done to reduce oversteer, the swinging out of the rear of the vehicle, which can result in a hazardous loss of control.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech ... ?techid=52

strafe

Post by strafe » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am

It's not just a matter of tread wear. The tire compound loses grip with the passage of time. If more than 5-8 years old, you should replace them regardless of the tread depth. 4/32" is nearly worn out anyways.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:04 am

A heavy, FWD, one wheel drive vehicle is going to spin a drive tire now and then, no matter what tires you have on it. I've got an 09 Fusion 4 cylinder one wheel drive and with great snow tires (it's cold out now, so the compound will retain traction where summer and all seasons are losing it) and will spin a tire now and then. A newer vehicle with traction control or one with a limited slip differential would help. I would agree that the current tires are likely to blame. How old are they? Tires outgas from the time they're made and as this occurs, they get harder and harder. 4/32" is getting low, certainly.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 am

I just replaced 4 tires on my Honda when they started losing traction at stop signs and hydroplaned easier. This has nothing to do with your model, but more to do with 4/32 of tread. My set was at 4/32 when I changed them also. The only thing before you and the road are the tires- don't get cheap on the things that count the most. I was in the collision repair business and the Insurance claims business for many years. The obvious factor in one car accidents(besides DUI) was poor tire tread.

The rear tires are just as important due to less weight on the rear axle- all four tires need to be maintained with good tread.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Cody

Post by Cody » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:22 am

No doubt in my mind. Get the "wet" tires. My Honda Odessey was a mess in snow and snow tires (Michelin) work wonders. Almost traded my 2010 van because of it but love it now.

Best,
Cody

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:27 pm

as far as tire rotation - usual rec is every six months or every 6,000 to 8,000 miles (https://www.michelinman.com/US/en/safe- ... ation.html)

I agree with other posters that say you need new tires. They are worn down, you are experiencing traction loss. I would change the tires now rather than waiting till they wear down more. It's a safety issue and if you are going to do it anyways why not just do it now. They'll last 60,000 miles so doing it is not really a "waste of money"

segfault

Post by segfault » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 pm

Buy four new tires. If your Pilot doesn't have vehicle stability control, consider trading for a newer model which does. Replace them when you start having the same issue, and consider replacing if they're over six years old, regardless of tread depth.

The tires on my RWD Infiniti have about 5/32" on them and I got sideways trying to accelerate on a curved onramp the other day when it was raining. I decided I'd take it easy and then proceeded to peel out when a traffic light turned green, when I was aware that there was a cop behind me. :oops:
The throttle on that car is very touchy and it's staying in the garage until I get an appointment to get new tires installed.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm

dwickenh wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 am
I just replaced 4 tires on my Honda when they started losing traction at stop signs and hydroplaned easier. This has nothing to do with your model, but more to do with 4/32 of tread. My set was at 4/32 when I changed them also. The only thing before you and the road are the tires- don't get cheap on the things that count the most. I was in the collision repair business and the Insurance claims business for many years. The obvious factor in one car accidents(besides DUI) was poor tire tread.

The rear tires are just as important due to less weight on the rear axle- all four tires need to be maintained with good tread.

Dan
This man is smart, listen to him. Ever toss a wet plate on a wet counter top?

Good advice, Dan, how about some fit and finish advice of genuine vs Aftermarket bumper covers? LoL

You know we would give them three strikes on a dud part, then we went new OEM part, sometimes we had to eat the $ diff, but the delay makes the client irate!

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:36 pm

strafe wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:57 am
It's not just a matter of tread wear. The tire compound loses grip with the passage of time. If more than 5-8 years old, you should replace them regardless of the tread depth. 4/32" is nearly worn out anyways.
More good advice. Does everyone know how to read the date code in the tire DOT code?

dwickenh

Post by dwickenh » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:48 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:33 pm
dwickenh wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:12 am

Dan
This man is smart, listen to him. Ever toss a wet plate on a wet counter top?

Good advice, Dan, how about some fit and finish advice of genuine vs Aftermarket bumper covers? LoL

You know we would give them three strikes on a dud part, then we went new OEM part, sometimes we had to eat the $ diff, but the delay makes the client irate!
You've been there for sure! Same here on the a/m parts only usually gave them no more than 2 strikes. Price match
by the OEM suppliers was our way of moving the job through the system on time(or only a little late) :sharebeer
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:27 am
I have a ~10 year old Honda Pilot FWD and the tires once in a while spin while starting from a stop, especially in the rain. They also seem a bit prone to hydroplane.
I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you are accelerating too quickly from a stop? I can never understand why people stomp on the gas when the light turns green, then stomp on the brakes at the next red light. Start smoothly, stop smoothly, you'll get there in the same time with less stress and less wear on the vehicle. Even brand new tires are going to spin if you are accelerating too fast.

That said, hydroplaning is probably due to old tires. Time to replace them...

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:50 pm

ThankYouJack wrote:
I have a ~10 year old Honda Pilot FWD and the tires once in a while spin while starting from a stop, especially in the rain. They also seem a bit prone to hydroplane. My tires are pretty old (have 4/32 of tread left) but my mechanic said they don't need to be replaced and are Michelin's that get an 8.0 Wet Performance and 8.6 Dry Performance on Tire Rack.

Is the tire spin normal - especially with older Pilots? Think replacing the tires would help at all with better traction? My other car is AWD so I'm not sure if I'm just getting used to having better traction.
4/32" sounds marginal, unless you only drive at moderate speeds on well banked dry roads. Replace the tires AND reduce your stopped-start acceleration and you will be good to go (and save a bunch of money in fuel and brake wear).

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:55 pm

mountainsoft wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:30 am
ThankYouJack wrote:
I have a ~10 year old Honda Pilot FWD and the tires once in a while spin while starting from a stop, especially in the rain. They also seem a bit prone to hydroplane.
I hate to state the obvious, but maybe you are accelerating too quickly from a stop? I can never understand why people stomp on the gas when the light turns green, then stomp on the brakes at the next red light. Start smoothly, stop smoothly, you'll get there in the same time with less stress and less wear on the vehicle. Even brand new tires are going to spin if you are accelerating too fast.

That said, hydroplaning is probably due to old tires. Time to replace them...
I'm not slamming on the gas all the way down. But I'm pressing firmly to accelerate from on-coming traffic.

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:35 pm

Start off with a light touch to avoid spin and get the vehicle moving, THEN accelerate quickly if you need to.

PaleoWorx

Post by PaleoWorx » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:35 pm

I must say I got GENERAL tires for my CAMRY, and since day one I get the tire spin on wet surface when I try to accelerate like I am on dry surface. Perfect road grip when it's dry though.
didn't have this with bridgestone or kumho. that said I will not get General again.

https://generaltire.com/tires/passenger/altimax-rt43

G12

Post by G12 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:12 pm

I find FWD vehicles, no matter the tread depth, are more prone to spin on wet surfaces when the wheels are turned prior to accelerating, ie right on red, etc, and in cooler wet weather, especially on wet asphalt. Brakes and tires are instrumental to driving safety, I would replace the tires before 4/32 on my vehicles as we tend to get really heavy rain at times, and I do a lot of interstate driving.

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm

I'm curious... How many of you experiencing tire spin have automatic transmissions? I've always driven manual transmissions and can't recall ever spinning tires unless I wanted to, even when starting on a hill in the rain with bald tires. Granted, I've always driven smaller front wheel drive vehicles.

The top of our driveway is on a hill and it seems most cars and trucks spin tires when trying to pull out. And yet I've never spun a tire there unless we have snow and ice. So it makes me wonder how much is tires, how much is driver technique, and how much is due to the vehicle itself.

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:15 pm

I just order some top rated Kumho tires from Tire Rack. I'll report back the difference once I get them installed.
mountainsoft wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:07 pm
I'm curious... How many of you experiencing tire spin have automatic transmissions? I've always driven manual transmissions and can't recall ever spinning tires unless I wanted to, even when starting on a hill in the rain with bald tires. Granted, I've always driven smaller front wheel drive vehicles.

The top of our driveway is on a hill and it seems most cars and trucks spin tires when trying to pull out. And yet I've never spun a tire there unless we have snow and ice. So it makes me wonder how much is tires, how much is driver technique, and how much is due to the vehicle itself.
I never have tire spin even if I try on my AWD car and it's an automatic. I never had it on my manual RWD car unless I wanted to. This is my first time where it's been a concern. I figured it was the tires getting old but since my mechanic said they were fine, I decided to post here to get a second opinion. Glad I did