Annoyingly Expensive HP Ink Cartridges

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Annoyingly Expensive HP Ink Cartridges

Post by Leesbro63 »

I have an HP8600PLUS printer that takes 951 number cartridges. Years ago with an older printer, I experimented with "off brand" cartridges and concluded that they just don't work and I had to pay the juice. This printer has a newer style cartridge and I don't think there even are "off brand" substitutes. My bigger picture question is should I buy a different printer? In the big scheme of my financial life, this isn't worth worrying about. But it's annoying to me as a poor value to keep feeding this thing.

What's the most efficient way to print today, for moderate printing? And most (but not all) of what I print can be in black and white, but this printer makes it tough to switch back and forth between BW and color. I assume this is on purpose to keep the beast hungry.
neilpilot

Re: Annoyingly Expensive HP Ink Cartridges

Post by neilpilot »

I use the same cartridge, and have been buying "re-manufactured" cartridges for years. I generally buy a set that includes 3 back and 2 each of the other colors for under $50, or less than $6 per cartridge. They seem to last just about as long as the real HPs and I can't tell the difference in print quality. You can get them even cheaper, but these seem to work fine for me:

https://www.4inkjets.com/HP-OfficeJet-P ... dges-toner
boglebrain

Post by boglebrain »

Refill the HP brand ones at Costco
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

boglebrain wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:55 am Refill the HP brand ones at Costco
At twice the price, I doubt that Costco refills are any better than purchasing them mail order. But I do realize that many Bogelheads are in love with Costco, so maybe it's a good alternative.
barreg

Post by barreg »

We gave up on ink cartridges years ago due to some of the same frustrations. Have been really happy with our Brother laser printer. Initial cost is about the same as most inkjet printers, the toner lasts a long time, and have been able to use 3rd party replacement toner. We just go to Walgreens or Costco for the rare times we need color printing.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

For printing office documents, a laser printer will be much more cost effective.

When I was on printer quest a few years ago, I learned that, as a gross generalization, the more you spend on the printer, the less you will spend on ink or toner. Low end consumer grade printers are throwaways. Once the ink runs out, it’s cheaper to buy a new printer. The more expensive printers have larger ink cartridges, and replacements ink costs less per ounce.

The same is true for laser printers and toner, but even low end laser printer toner cartridges will print 1000+ pages.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
onourway

Post by onourway »

barreg wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am We gave up on ink cartridges years ago due to some of the same frustrations. Have been really happy with our Brother laser printer. Initial cost is about the same as most inkjet printers, the toner lasts a long time, and have been able to use 3rd party replacement toner. We just go to Walgreens or Costco for the rare times we need color printing.
Same. I can live without color printing. We got a $100 Brother printer that copies and scans and works wirelessly even from an iPhone. Toner costs $45 and lasts for tens of thousands of pages. Never had a problem with it.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

onourway wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:41 am
barreg wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:04 am We gave up on ink cartridges years ago due to some of the same frustrations. Have been really happy with our Brother laser printer. Initial cost is about the same as most inkjet printers, the toner lasts a long time, and have been able to use 3rd party replacement toner. We just go to Walgreens or Costco for the rare times we need color printing.
Same. I can live without color printing. We got a $100 Brother printer that copies and scans and works wirelessly even from an iPhone. Toner costs $45 and lasts for tens of thousands of pages. Never had a problem with it.
Same here. No more problems printing because Out of ink. Brother makes really good printers.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Look at it as if you are becoming a boglehead. You made a mistake and purchased high er funds (hp printer) and now you wised up and are changing to low er funds (laser or the eco tank style inkjets)
https://www.consumerreports.org/printer ... -printers/
https://clark.com/technology/shake-your ... mum-value/
tindel

Post by tindel »

We just bought a Brother all-in-one color laser printer in hopes that it works a bit better and ultimately the toner is cheaper. Startup cost was a little over $300. Toner is more expensive, but doesn't dry out. We don't use the printer a whole lot so ultimately we're hoping this printer is a bit cheaper to operate.

Our old HP ink jet worked fine until we put off-brand cartridges in it. It's scared me away from putting off-brands in my printer.

For photo printing we've decided mail order is best.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

tindel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:24 pm We just bought a Brother all-in-one color laser printer in hopes that it works a bit better and ultimately the toner is cheaper. Startup cost was a little over $300. Toner is more expensive, but doesn't dry out. We don't use the printer a whole lot so ultimately we're hoping this printer is a bit cheaper to operate.

Our old HP ink jet worked fine until we put off-brand cartridges in it. It's scared me away from putting off-brands in my printer.

Good luck with thelaser colorprinter.
tindel

Post by tindel »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:30 pm
tindel wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:24 pm We just bought a Brother all-in-one color laser printer in hopes that it works a bit better and ultimately the toner is cheaper. Startup cost was a little over $300. Toner is more expensive, but doesn't dry out. We don't use the printer a whole lot so ultimately we're hoping this printer is a bit cheaper to operate.

Good luck with thelaser colorprinter.
So far so good. :sharebeer
GreenGrowTheDollars

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars »

I have a Brother all-in-one color laser jet, and I miss my old HP8600 Plus. The quality of the Brother MFC-9130CW printing is not nearly as crisp as the HP provided. It balks majorly if I attempt to use non-Brother toner cartridges, and the Brother toner is quite pricey. It is also slow to print, and for some reason, the printer regularly loses the wi-fi print capability and I have to go back and re-login :annoyed with the password on a miserably designed touchpad keyboard.
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

I have a brother MFC-J985DW XL inkjet printer/fax/scanner that prints in color and black and white. It uses "Inkvestment" cartridges. It came with 3 sets of cartridges. They claim the cost is 1 cent per page black and white and less than 5 cents per page color. They claim it will print 300 pages per month for two years with the cartridges that came with it. I've been satisfied with it so far (bought it 7 months ago for $256, I see it on-line now for $239.99). Still on my first set of cartilages, but I don't do a lot of printing. I see a set of LC20E cartridges for sale on-line for $71, claim to print 2,400 B&W, 1,200 color pages. Interestingly, if the 4 cartridges are purchased separately, the cost is only 57.13. I didn't go with laser because I wanted to be able to print color, however I don't use it for photos.
Last edited by OnTrack on Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

One of the main problems with inkjets is that they suck up a lot of ink doing their cleaning cycles, so you never get as many pages as the manufacturer claims. This is particularly bad for occasional printers. HP's Instant Ink program (which works like a subscription, you pay for a certain number of pages per month and they send you cartridges when you're about to run out) is actually great for those who just print occasionally, but unfortunately it's limited to their newer printers and not available for the 8600.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

agree.
we have a brother color laser printer and have been happy with it.
RIP Mr. Bogle.
oko

Post by oko »

This was the reason I stopped buying HP printers years ago. I have Cannon MX series, and I spend 25 cents to 50 cents per cartridge. In fact, I kind of make money on them since Officemax/Officedepot pays $2 per cartridge (as gift card). Cannon ink cartridge is "dumb", i.e. only holds ink, without printer head. So nothing almost ever goes wrong with third party cartridges. Print quality is indistinguishable.

Hint: If you buy a Cannon printer, sell those original cartriges on ebay and buy cheap generic ones. It will pay 50 to 100 percent of your initial investment!
gotester2000

Post by gotester2000 »

Has nobody tried refilling - a syringe and ink is all you need!
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I dumped my cartridge color printer years ago and agree with others, especially if mainly printing B&W. Buy a laser printer and if color is needed take a trip to Office Max or similar.
Topic Author
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

oko wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 am This was the reason I stopped buying HP printers years ago. I have Cannon MX series, and I spend 25 cents to 50 cents per cartridge. In fact, I kind of make money on them since Officemax/Officedepot pays $2 per cartridge (as gift card). Cannon ink cartridge is "dumb", i.e. only holds ink, without printer head. So nothing almost ever goes wrong with third party cartridges. Print quality is indistinguishable.

Hint: If you buy a Cannon printer, sell those original cartriges on ebay and buy cheap generic ones. It will pay 50 to 100 percent of your initial investment!
This could be a whole new alternative asset class!
Toons

Post by Toons »

Rarely Print to paper anymore
"Print "to Pdf
Save file.
Cartridges from ebay if needed. :D
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

if you're buying cheap generic inkjet refill cartridges, print something then look at it in 5 years. Not good.

Laser printer is way to go.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Toons wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:38 am Rarely Print to paper anymore
"Print "to Pdf
Save file.
How do I stick the pdf onto the Amazon box I’m returning?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

That’s what we did too. Ink is now dramatically less expensive. We found out we never actually need to print in color, and it’s been several years since we made the switch. And in that amount of time we’ve replaced the toner cartridge only once.
ragnathor

Post by ragnathor »

I'll echo the Brother printer . We got an all-in-one inkjet + 3 year warranty for about $140. The warranty was about $10, although I normally don't buy electronics warranties. We don't use it often but the kids like to have color available. I did a cost analysis at the time and per page it was massively cheaper than HP.
prairieman

Post by prairieman »

Leesbro63 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:19 am I have an HP8600PLUS printer that takes 951 number cartridges. Years ago with an older printer, I experimented with "off brand" cartridges and concluded that they just don't work and I had to pay the juice. This printer has a newer style cartridge and I don't think there even are "off brand" substitutes. My bigger picture question is should I buy a different printer? In the big scheme of my financial life, this isn't worth worrying about. But it's annoying to me as a poor value to keep feeding this thing.

What's the most efficient way to print today, for moderate printing? And most (but not all) of what I print can be in black and white, but this printer makes it tough to switch back and forth between BW and color. I assume this is on purpose to keep the beast hungry.
My old HP went out. I had been using cheap off brand varieties and was OK with that and so bought another HP printer. Maddeningly, the new one has some sort of detector that disables printing with off-brand ink! It goes through ink fast, too, and that ink is PRICEY. If I had a big print job, this new HP would go directly into the trash.
“As long as the roots are not severed, all is well.” Chauncey Gardner
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

I have been using laser printers for the last several years. My current is a Brother HL-2270DW that has been exceptional. Just ordered a Brother color laser HL-3230CDW as a gift for our daughter who had the same complaint about ink cartridges. Suggest you do some research on laser printers and you may be pleasantly surprised. Best of luck and Merry Christmas.
jayk238

Post by jayk238 »

I have an epson that works great. It was the first one that was truly plug and play even setting up wifi was a breeze. Plus it has airprint so no installing software.

The printer uses liquid ink which comes in bottles. The i k is pretty cheap the ink comes in packs of 4 for 40 total. Pretty cheap and they last for a good year for regular use.

EPSON Original Refill Ink Set (T6641 T6642 T6643 T6644) for L100 L110 L120 L200 L210 L300 L350 L355 L550 L555 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NUXE7H6/re ... fCbXGPHRBB

Epson Expression ET-2750 EcoTank Wireless Color All-in-One Supertank Printer with Scanner and Copier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074V4TTY2/re ... fCbA5N2AA5

The amazon reviews are weird as they point out negatives i have not experienced or dont make sense fwiw

Post by 2015 »

"Print "to Pdf
Save file.
This.
I've become paper phobic. OTH, on those rare times when printing is needed (i.e., printing out a shipping return label) I put in another vote for laser Brother printers. I will never go back to inkjet and won't buy anything from HP anymore.
Marmot

Post by Marmot »

I have not read the replies, but dump HP. On the advice from this board we went to the Brother printers. We have an HL-23800W (2 actually, one at our summer house) and we LOVE them. Dump HP. Dump it, put it the driveway with a "free sign". Dump the HP.
Marty....don't go to the year 2020....Dr. Emmett Brown
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I am going to agree with those saying "graduate to a laser printer," with one caveat. I bought a Brother laser printer four or five years ago--not made any more so I won't give the model--cost something like $250. Color laser printing and two-sided copying.

Oh, lovely. A real "office printing" experience at a cheap price. The paper handling is great, just like a "real" laser printer, I've had exactly one jam in four or five years. And the wifi works pretty well, when my wife and I were both using desktops we had no trouble sharing it, me on a Mac and her on a PC.

No, the color printing is not up to photo quality, but I found that I never used inkjets for photos anyway, because they were slow and the chances of getting a smudge and needing to redo them, and the price of the glossy photo paper, and the high consumption of expensive ink... well, I just sent my photos to CVS for pickup unless I really needed them the same day. I like the ability to print color occasionally e.g. for trail maps before going on a trip. And you can get laser printers that print black-only, one-sided for something like $100 nowadays.

The cost per page, the speed, and the paper handling are just in a different category from inkjets. I can actually print out forty or fifty pages of tax forms (two copies state, one federal) without hovering over the printer and worrying.

Toner cartridges cost a fortune but last forever. Inkjet cartridges cost less per purchase but drive you crazy (running out at the wrong time and having to buy them at a high price at Staples because you can't afford to wait two days from Amazon, etc).

Here's the caveat. All I can do is state my experience. In theory, the fuser roller is supposed to last more or less forever. Mine crapped out after a couple of years. I bit the bullet and had a local office supply place replace it, meaning I paid them something like $160 (the roller itself, if you can find it for sale, seems to be only about $100). And that fuser roller lasted a couple of years, and crapped out a few weeks ago.

And I paced up and down, stared at the printer, stared at the four almost-new toner cartridges in the printer, saw that the obvious new model didn't accept those cartridges... saw that I could get the same model, "factory-refurbished," delivered next day from Staples, for $190... and, yeah, I just went ahead and bought a new printer. Staples took the old one back for recycling. I'll let you know in a couple of years how long the fuser roller on this one lasted.

By the way, fuser roller failure is... interesting. A crack develops in the roller, and at first pages come through with just slight indentation or crinkle in them, and then gradually the indentation deepens and the print across the wrinkle lightens, then drops out. So it's not instant death, you get a couple of hundred increasingly-lower-quality pages.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

+1 for laser printers if you aren't printing photos. I have an HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn and it works well. It does duplex, scan and fax, too. I have a wired network at my house so it plugs into my wired Ethernet jack in my office. I also have my trusty old HP LaserJet 1300n (cost $500 in 2004) which is still going strong. It is still cheaper per page to print to a B&W only device when you are not printing color so I keep it. The last cartrige I bought for the LJ 1300n was $25 I think. Off brand Amazon special since you can't find "new" HP OEM cartridges for that model.

You will have a much easier time long term finding off brand new toner than off brand ink jet cartu. I'm talking over the course of 12+ years here.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks, minimize amount given to medical-industrial complex
Toons

Post by Toons »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:43 am
"Print "to Pdf
Save file.
How do I stick the pdf onto the Amazon box I’m returning?
"Rarely" :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Another vote for (Brother) Laser.

I got sick of inkjet cartridges drying out, and HP printers flaking out when non-HP cartridges were installed. So I bought a Brother HL-L2340 printer (doubt they sell that anymore). It is going strong after several years. It is B/W (I go to Kinkos on the very rare occasion I need to print color).

Just want to point out that replacement toner cartridges are not expensive. I buy cartridges for like $12 on Amazon for my printer, they aren't Brother cartridges, but work great. I can print 2-3000 pages per cartridge. Lasts at least a year. Does not dry out.

I remember setting up WiFi printing was a pain, I had to set up a static IP on the printer (outside the DHCP range on my router). But after that one time setup, things work flawlessly. I hope Brother has fixed that configuration issue now.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

nisiprius wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm I am going to agree with those saying "graduate to a laser printer," with one caveat. I bought a Brother laser printer four or five years ago--not made any more so I won't give the model--cost something like $250. Color laser printing and two-sided copying.

Oh, lovely. A real "office printing" experience at a cheap price. The paper handling is great, just like a "real" laser printer, I've had exactly one jam in four or five years. And the wifi works pretty well, when my wife and I were both using desktops we had no trouble sharing it, me on a Mac and her on a PC.

No, the color printing is not up to photo quality, but I found that I never used inkjets for photos anyway, because they were slow and the chances of getting a smudge and needing to redo them, and the price of the glossy photo paper, and the high consumption of expensive ink... well, I just sent my photos to CVS for pickup unless I really needed them the same day. I like the ability to print color occasionally e.g. for trail maps before going on a trip. And you can get laser printers that print black-only, one-sided for something like $100 nowadays.

The cost per page, the speed, and the paper handling are just in a different category from inkjets. I can actually print out forty or fifty pages of tax forms (two copies state, one federal) without hovering over the printer and worrying.

Toner cartridges cost a fortune but last forever. Inkjet cartridges cost less per purchase but drive you crazy (running out at the wrong time and having to buy them at a high price at Staples because you can't afford to wait two days from Amazon, etc).

Here's the caveat. All I can do is state my experience. In theory, the fuser roller is supposed to last more or less forever. Mine crapped out after a couple of years. I bit the bullet and had a local office supply place replace it, meaning I paid them something like $160 (the roller itself, if you can find it for sale, seems to be only about $100). And that fuser roller lasted a couple of years, and crapped out a few weeks ago.

And I paced up and down, stared at the printer, stared at the four almost-new toner cartridges in the printer, saw that the obvious new model didn't accept those cartridges... saw that I could get the same model, "factory-refurbished," delivered next day from Staples, for $190... and, yeah, I just went ahead and bought a new printer. Staples took the old one back for recycling. I'll let you know in a couple of years how long the fuser roller on this one lasted.

By the way, fuser roller failure is... interesting. A crack develops in the roller, and at first pages come through with just slight indentation or crinkle in them, and then gradually the indentation deepens and the print across the wrinkle lightens, then drops out. So it's not instant death, you get a couple of hundred increasingly-lower-quality pages.
the same exact thing happened to me with my brother color laser printer. the fuser roller died.
RIP Mr. Bogle.