Polyurethane- House STINKS

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

Polyurethane- House STINKS

Post by crockpotinvesting »

Hi,

We are having the floors redone and the house STINKS! Everything I read says the house should be in the 68-72 degree range for the Poly to cure but also says for the smell to go away you need the windows open. I’m in the Northeast and the weekend is calling for the temperature to be in the 50s. Do you think I should turn the heat off during the day and crank the windows open. Anyone have some tricks?
cheese_breath

Re: Polyurethane- House STINKS

Post by cheese_breath »

It's too late now, but the trick was to do it in the summer.

I suggest a few days at a hotel. Smelling that poly too long can make you very sick.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Post by 123 »

You should check with your floor refinisher for the proper course of action. They should be aware of how to address the curing process in your local area and climate if they do this all year round.

I might guess that the curing and smell removal might have to be two seperate processes. First you want the floor to cure and then you want the smell to go away. If opening the windows causes the temperature to dip lower than recommended I would keep them closed.

Probably not too many people having their floors redone in December due to the holidays.
Last edited by 123 on Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge »

Good luck.

My in-laws in southern California did this last summer.

The house smelled for 3 months.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

crockpotinvesting wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:19 pm Hi,

We are having the floors redone and the house STINKS! Everything I read says the house should be in the 68-72 degree range for the Poly to cure but also says for the smell to go away you need the windows open. I’m in the Northeast and the weekend is calling for the temperature to be in the 50s. Do you think I should turn the heat off during the day and crank the windows open. Anyone have some tricks?
The fumes are not good/not healthy to breathe. It really should be done when the outdoor temperatures are warm and the windows are open, preferably while you stay somewhere else. The floors should cure within a few days, although you can walk on it after 24-48 hours. Expect the smell to remain very strong for a few weeks, and then gradually improve as outgassing of chemicals progresses.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I would crank the heat and open a couple of windows, then come back on Monday night. Hopefully you have cheap natural gas or a heat pump with cheap electricity.
leeks

Post by leeks »

cheese_breath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:25 pm I suggest a few days at a hotel. Smelling that poly too long can make you very sick.
Cure it at recommended temp.
Then open windows, use fans, etc. and give it a few days to air out.
Stay elsewhere.
+1
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Keep at recommended temps, airflow can help but if its wet or b/w coats you can get dirt/dust into the coat which can be problematic. It's not really a project you should ever plan to live at home for when being done and more of a plan around a trip or hotel stay kind of event unfortunately. I've always done it when my wife was going to be out of town for a bit.
Terri-bh

Post by Terri-bh »

Turn the heat up and leave the windows open, use a fan. It'll cure faster if it's hotter.

And since we're on the subject of stinky things that have to air out--be aware that mattresses have to air out for a week or two too! Buy them in the summer or don't let them take the old mattress right away and leave the new one in the garage to air out.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

Is it water based or oil based (I'm a chemist). Is is every room it just some rooms? Do you have Central heat/air?
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

JediMisty wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:09 pm

Is it water based or oil based (I'm a chemist). Is is every room it just some rooms? Do you have Central heat/air?

GuySmiley

Post by GuySmiley »

Good memories. Family and I camped outside on the porch when we did this years ago, we had no idea it would smell so strong and was a spur of the moment decision, but really there was no other option except for getting a hotel. By the 2nd night it was tolerable to stay inside at the opposite end of the house. Good luck!
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

We had a room done using water based poly. Virtually no smell. Has held up well and looks the same as the floor next to it (this was a brand new floor stained to match existing floor that was done 30 years ago using oil based poly)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
crockpotinvesting

Post by crockpotinvesting »

It’s called hydro. I belIeve waterbased. We’ve been staying at friends. They just finished today so I’m hoping we can start staying there again in a few days. I’m going to open windows and air it out tomorrow.
JediMisty

Post by JediMisty »

crockpotinvesting wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm It’s called hydro. I belIeve waterbased. We’ve been staying at friends. They just finished today so I’m hoping we can start staying there again in a few days. I’m going to open windows and air it out tomorrow.
Well, aside from the annoyance of the smell, the detrimental effects of water based for a one time event would be de minis, unless one of you is very young or very old. Fans at the windows will help move the smell out. I just did floors last spring myself, so did one room at a time. When I did my one bedroom, the job included repainting, then redoing floors. I slept in another room for a while.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

leeks wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:46 am
cheese_breath wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:25 pm I suggest a few days at a hotel. Smelling that poly too long can make you very sick.
Cure it at recommended temp.
Then open windows, use fans, etc. and give it a few days to air out.
Stay elsewhere.
+1
+1
Contact installer asap.
Symptoms of VOC exposure can include:

Skin irritation or allergic reaction
Eye irritation
Difficulty breathing
Sore throat
Headaches
Nausea and vomiting
Fatigue
Dizziness
Nosebleeds
Additionally, some VOCs are suspected or known carcinogens. These carcinogenic compounds, such as formaldehyde, may have more household sources than you expect. For example, formaldehyde can be found in the paint on your walls, pressed-wood furniture, carpeting adhesives and even some clothing.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
GMCZ71

Post by GMCZ71 »

crockpotinvesting wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:53 pm It’s called hydro. I belIeve waterbased. We’ve been staying at friends. They just finished today so I’m hoping we can start staying there again in a few days. I’m going to open windows and air it out tomorrow.
I have heard but no first hand knowledge that buying charcoal briquettes (w/no lighter fluid) will help to absorb the smell. I would cut the top of the bag and put in front of the fans, it might do wonders.
John
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

fabreeze? :twisted:
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

GMCZ71 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:00 am
I have heard but no first hand knowledge that buying charcoal briquettes (w/no lighter fluid) will help to absorb the smell. I would cut the top of the bag and put in front of the fans, it might do wonders.
Activated carbon should absorb VOCs. But with such a big source, I don't think it'd make a dent in it until after the initial fumes are gone, so it might be helpful after the first week. You can buy rolls of the stuff and add it to a diy box fan filter. $8/roll at amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cut---Fit-Carbon ... 000U204W2/
G12

Post by G12 »

OP, you can create what is known as a "negative" air situation with one window per room to exhaust interior air out of the house and run your heater to keep to keep air temps reasonably warm. This can be done with box fans and plastic in the window. Look into this, it may be a good solution. I would not stay in the house until the smell has dissipated and change your furnace filters. You may want to change them currently as they could be affected by the floor treatment. This video illustrates negative air/pressure when dealing with mold, but concept would be the same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kUbBSjTdeY