Receiver for klipsch bookcase speakers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dottie57

Receiver for klipsch bookcase speakers

Post by Dottie57 »

**********Update. On pg 2. *********

I have a pair of bookcase speakers that I like. They are small which is important. The back of the speakers show the following.

Klipsch Rb-25
Impedance 8 ohms
Max input pwr 75 Watts

What are the specs I need in a stereo receiver.? Need help.
I just want a nice **simple** receiver.

Sound source: iPhone or appletv.

Budget is $300.
******************UPDATE*****************
Thanks to all. I have learned a lot and have plenty of ideas now.

****************purchase update on pg 2. ******************
Last edited by Dottie57 on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 pm, edited 5 times in total.
z0r

Re: Receiver for klipsch bookcase speakers

Post by z0r »

here's a good boglehead choice: $22 shipped for a breeze audio ba100. add an old laptop 24V power supply or you can buy it bundled with a power supply for more money.

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/328886208 ... 2888620869

for an iPhone as the source you can get a version with integrated bluetooth. for the apple tv just use rca cables or 3.5mm to rca cable, not sure what you have.

The amp is very high quality (far better than $22 might indicate) and matches your speakers as long as it runs on 24V. and super compact. There are good discussion threads on reddit for these, they're pretty well regarded.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Dottie:

The Klipsch specs you copied show Max input power 75 watts. This means each speaker can operate with a Maximum power input of 75 watts.

I suggest you search for "100 watt stereo receiver with Bluetooth". This will provide all the power you need to listen to music at home. You could search for this on websites like Best Buy or Amazon or eBay. The Bluetooth feature allows you to play your iphone music without a cable connection to the stereo receiver. The 100 watts per speaker allow you to power the speakers using a moderate level of output from the amplifier in the stereo receiver with minimal sound distortion.

Here's a link to the products that come up on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Sony-STRDH190-St ... +bluetooth

You should review how you plan to connect the Apple TV to make sure you have the right requirements for your system. The stereo receivers do not have a USB input to connect directly to the Apple TV but I imagine you are connecting the Apple TV to the TV using an HDMI cable and the stereo receiver will connect to the TV Audio Input using other cables.
z0r

Post by z0r »

here's a middle budget choice, $65, same idea as the ba100 which is based on the tpa3116 but has a slightly nicer chip tda7492. can probably find this built up with Bluetooth on aliexpress for less money

https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-TDA74 ... 00F0H8TOC/
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Dottie57 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm I have a pair of bookcase speakers that I like. They are small which is important. The back of the speakers show the following.

Klipsch Rb-25
Impedance 8 ohms
Max input pwr 75 Watts

The specs for the RB-25 show it has a sensitivity of 94dB with 1watt input.

That means it does not take a lot of power to drive these to levels that will be very loud.

So, you have a wide range of choices of what to use.

You mentioned looking at a "receiver". This, by definition will include a tuner section for being able to listen to FM radio stations.

If you do not care about FM radio with your iPhone or Appletv inputs, then you'd be better off looking at what is called an integrated amplifier.

We would need to know how you plan on connecting the type of iphone or appletv you have to the integrated amplifier to know whether your choices should include a DAC (Digital to Analog converter) that would take a digital signal from the iphone/appletv. If you plan on connecting these via a connection that you would plug earbuds into, then the integrated amp does not need to include a DAC.

And, most importantly what is your budget?
kmurp

Post by kmurp »

https://nadelectronics.com/product/d-30 ... amplifier/
If you don’t need radio.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RS202/ ... -S202.html
If you want radio.
If yo use Spotify , I’d suggest something with “Spotify connect” built in which these two don’t have.
mrgeeze

Post by mrgeeze »

You don't need much.
The solid state amps built today are the way to go.
Suggest you get bluetooth and perhaps a usb port on it
It just makes it easier with a phone or tablet.

I've used a couple of the Pyle Amps for similar purpose on high quality speakers (ADS/JBL/Polk)
I've been pretty happy and they are inexpensive

Pyle 200W Audio Stereo Receiver is about $90 on Amazon . I does everything you ask for

Remember, most speakers get damaged from being underpowered.
This will not be a problem with the Pyle
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm
Dottie57 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:16 pm I have a pair of bookcase speakers that I like. They are small which is important. The back of the speakers show the following.

Klipsch Rb-25
Impedance 8 ohms
Max input pwr 75 Watts

That means it does not take a lot of power to drive these to levels that will be very loud.

You mentioned looking at a "receiver". This, by definition will include a tuner section for being able to listen to FM radio stations.

If you do not care about FM radio with your iPhone or Appletv inputs, then you'd be better off looking at what is called an integrated amplifier.

We would need to know how you plan on connecting the type of iphone or appletv you have to the integrated amplifier to know whether your choices should include a DAC (Digital to Analog converter) that would take a digital signal from the iphone/appletv. If you plan on connecting these via a connection that you would plug earbuds into, then the integrated amp does not need to include a DAC.

And, most importantly what is your budget?
My budget would be about $300. Used or new. I would like a tuner since the local classical station is excellent.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You can easily get something for under that budget. Here is the Amazon Choice listed if you search for Stereo Receiver:

https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Audio-R-S ... o+receiver

I have a Yamaha home theater stereo receiver and it has been great.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Kenkat wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 am You can easily get something for under that budget. Here is the Amazon Choice listed if you search for Stereo Receiver:

Thanks for this suggestion. I think I would actually go a step up and get a networked version.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thanks to every one for your suggestions. I really do want a built in tuner.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

I have done this many times. If you are connecting a 4th gen Apple TV you will need an HDMI connection. Apple TV > AV receiver like Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. The AV receiver connects HDMI to your TV. Speakers connect to the AV receiver. The iPhone will connect wirelessly to your Apple TV using Apple Airplay. Power is not an issue. Any quality major brand AV receiver in that price range will work fine. Set the AV receiver to Direct or Stereo since you will not have rear or center speakers.
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

Audioarc wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:32 pm I have done this many times. If you are connecting a 4th gen Apple TV you will need an HDMI connection. Apple TV > AV receiver like Denon, Onkyo, or Yamaha. The AV receiver connects HDMI to your TV. Speakers connect to the AV receiver. The iPhone will connect wirelessly to your Apple TV using Apple Airplay. Power is not an issue. Any quality major brand AV receiver in that price range will work fine. Set the AV receiver to Direct or Stereo since you will not have rear or center speakers.
I have a pair of Boston Acoustics A60 speakers I am just replacing the foam on for the woofers, an older Sony Receiver/Amp,100 watts per channel,no Bluetooth of course.
On the back of the Bostons it says 8 ohms but nothing else. I would like to play music from my iPhone,I play through a small iHome radio that has the micro sized earphone input jack, but the Sony receiver has the old larger input jacks, is there a converter plug that will adapt to connect to the iphone?
Also could you clarify the role of the Apple TV in this music setup, is it really necessary if the iphone can connect to the receiver?

I still miss the "old days" with my Crown DC300 amp and some very tall early Infiniti monitor speakers. The speakers retailed back in 1975 at about $800 apiece. I bought them at cost from the creator of Infinity,otherwise could never have afforded them.
z0r

Post by z0r »

you can convert a 3.5mm headphone jack into RCA jacks with a simple cord. here is a decent one in various lengths

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/RCA-Cab ... 32392.html

a bluetooth receiver that could plug into your existing receiver is another good option if you want a little more convenience, but it'll cost more

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/VIKEFON ... 28780.html
4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng »

deleted duplicate
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 pm
Kenkat wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:36 am You can easily get something for under that budget. Here is the Amazon Choice listed if you search for Stereo Receiver:

Thanks for this suggestion. I think I would actually go a step up and get a networked version.
If you want the network function and the tuner you want then maybe this Yamaha would do the trick
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/ ... -N303.html
Socrates

A little secret

Post by Socrates »

you can buy a bluetooth adapter for any older stereo as long as it has RCA inputs (the red white input on the back).
99% of stereos have them. A bluetooth adapter is about $20. I use the logitech ones on my stereos. You can then stream music in such as Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, etc. for commercial free music and fine tune your selections: e.g., baroque, Italian opera, etc.

What does that mean? You can buy a very nice Denon, Harmon Kardon, NAD, Yamaha, Marantz stereo off Ebay, Craigslist, etc. for about $50-$300 depending on your price range. I purchased an older Marantz integrated amplified (no radio tuner) that originally retailed for $1000 for a $175.

I have a Denon stereo receiver in my garage/gym I purchased for $40 that is also very nice and was made in Japan, not china. You can even use the bluetooth adapter on Bose radios. I have one in my living room as my fiancee doesn't like stereo equipment everywhere. No need to purchase a bluetooth stereo receiver which can be costly, and IMHO, newer stereos are cheaply built.

Make sure you purchase a stereo receiver and not a home theater receiver and you should focus on 50 watts or higher for power rating. It doesn't mean you need to crank it up, but you have that reserve power to ensure clean rich sound-especially for classical music.

Good luck!
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:08 am
Dottie57 wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 1:37 pm

If you want the network function and the tuner you want then maybe this Yamaha would do the trick
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RN303/ ... -N303.html
I have been looking at this one!
Topic Author
Dottie57

Re: A little secret

Post by Dottie57 »

Socrates28 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am you can buy a bluetooth adapter for any older stereo as long as it has RCA inputs (the red white input on the back).
99% of stereos have them. A bluetooth adapter is about $20. I use the logitech ones on my stereos. You can then stream music in such as Spotify, Pandora, Sirius, etc. for commercial free music and fine tune your selections: e.g., baroque, Italian opera, etc.

What does that mean? You can buy a very nice Denon, Harmon Kardon, NAD, Yamaha, Marantz stereo off Ebay, Craigslist, etc. for about $50-$300 depending on your price range. I purchased an older Marantz integrated amplified (no radio tuner) that originally retailed for $1000 for a $175.

I have a Denon stereo receiver in my garage/gym I purchased for $40 that is also very nice and was made in Japan, not china. You can even use the bluetooth adapter on Bose radios. I have one in my living room as my fiancee doesn't like stereo equipment everywhere. No need to purchase a bluetooth stereo receiver which can be costly, and IMHO, newer stereos are cheaply built.

Make sure you purchase a stereo receiver and not a home theater receiver and you should focus on 50 watts or higher for power rating. It doesn't mean you need to crank it up, but you have that reserve power to ensure clean rich sound-especially for classical music.

Good luck!
I was going to look at a very nice Pioneer 1980 receiver on Craigslist. However it is over 500$. Looking at prices for used gear, the price is actually a bargain. Is this a solid state item or are there tubes?
BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am
Socrates28 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:30 am you can buy a bluetooth adapter for any older stereo as long as it has RCA inputs (the red white input on the back).

Good luck!
I was going to look at a very nice Pioneer 1980 receiver on Craigslist. However it is over 500$. Looking at prices for used gear, the price is actually a bargain. Is this a solid state item or are there tubes?
The SX-1980 is SS monster.

But since it's vintage it won't have network capability.

Used receivers or amps can be a vg value; lower risk of problems w/ no moving parts like turntables, CD players, etc. Kudos to you for looking.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

BBQ Nut wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:09 am
Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am

Good luck!
The SX-1980 is SS monster.

But since it's vintage it won't have network capability.

Used receivers or amps can be a vg value; lower risk of problems w/ no moving parts like turntables, CD players, etc. Kudos to you for looking.
Google has found some devices which can add WiFi to a receiver. I’ll look further to see what is available.
Socrates

Here is the Bluetooth adapter I use

Post by Socrates »

“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Re: Here is the Bluetooth adapter I use

Post by Dottie57 »

Bluetooth compresses whereas WiFi can do lossless music if desired.
Socrates

very subtle

Post by Socrates »

Bluetooth compresses whereas WiFi can do lossless music if desired.
I really think his speaker choice and perhaps listening environment would influence the sound more than the very subtle difference with wireless vs bluetooth related to compression.
Northern Flicker

Yes. The Apple TV, phone and small klipsch speakers will be the limiting factors of audio quality if any reasonable audio amp is selected. I doubt Bluetooth will compress the sound anywhere near as much as the speakers will.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

a used, entry level Yamaha aventage would be nice.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 0&_sacat=0

1040's are about $300.
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

I’m sure folks have good intentions but you can’t connect an Apple TV with anything but HDMi. Bluetooth is not required with an iPhone and Apple TV.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jalbert wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:20 pm
My budget would be about $300. Used or new. I would like a tuner since the local classical station is excellent.
How powerful is the station? If it is a public radio station with a fairly weak transmitter you may need a fairly good quality tuner to get noise-free reception. The tuner section of a $300 receiver is probably no better than a standalone digital tuner you can buy on Craigslist for about $10.
One of the reasons I am looking at some vintage receivers is because the tuners for radio are so much better than today’s models.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Audioarc

Post by Audioarc »

A stereo receiver will not work with this setup.
If you have Apple TV you have 2 options
1. Apple TV to AV receiver through HDMI to TV HDMI
2 Apple TV to TV HDMI out TV Opical Digital Out to AV receiver or any receiver with Optical Digital input.
Analog will not work. There are no 3.5mm or Digital outputs on the 4th gen Apple TV.
Analog out of a TV for sound will not work if your source (cable box, etc) is connected with HDMI.
You could connect your phone by 3.5mm into a receiver but not AppleTV.
Also with Apple Airplay you can keep your phone with you and not have to have it tethered by wire to a receiver.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

jalbert wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:05 pm
It should work fine with all TV’s I’ve seen, which is admittedly a small sample. AppleTV or blue ray or whatever to TV over HDMI and stereo audio out from TV to stereo amp. Perhaps not all flat screen TV’s have analog audio out.
Yes, this was the setup I was thinking also. However, our most recent TV does not have the RCA style analog outputs, so maybe an AV receiver is a better choice for future proofing. Really just about any AV receiver in the budgeted price range from a name brand will suffice.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Yamaha RXV385
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V385-5 ... B07BNXXJKB

Bluetooth input/output, USB, 4 HDMI Input, 1 HDMI out to TV, AM/FM, Various other connections, 5.1 surround options. Also highly recommend Chromecast Audio and Google Home Mini for voice control.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Alexa9 wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:23 pm Yamaha RXV385
https://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V385-5 ... B07BNXXJKB

Bluetooth input/output, USB, 4 HDMI Input, 1 HDMI out to TV, AM/FM, Various other connections, 5.1 surround options.
I have a predecessor model to this one (RX-V381) and it’s been a great purchase.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

BBQ Nut wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:14 pm [

Thank you! I love how people automatically throw out recommendations for 100w and 200w amplifiers :oops: without even asking for the sensitivity spec,the listening room layout or what kind of music/levels are desired.

Ive got 86dB/watt speakers and I drive them with a 40watt (rms) tube amp and those things will make my ears bleed. People go way overboard on wattage specs......
Last edited by jharkin on Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

Dottie57 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:43 am I was going to look at a very nice Pioneer 1980 receiver on Craigslist. However it is over 500$. Looking at prices for used gear, the price is actually a bargain. Is this a solid state item or are there tubes?
1980 Pioneer will be SS. Anything past the early 70s is likely SS unless its McIntosh or one of the audiophile tube gear brands like Conrad-Johnson.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

If your requirements are iPhone OR Apple TV, as opposed to iPhone AND Apple TV, I'd personally go a little off the beaten path, pairing a Monoprice 50 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth & Line Output with a Standalone HD Radio Tuner. No HDMI input (hence no Apple TV), but should have an amazing warm sound thanks to the tube preamp, and the coolness factor is undeniable.

There's also a significantly less expensive 25W model, which is probably more than enough given that you have pretty sensitive speakers.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

lazydavid wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:06 pm If your requirements are iPhone OR Apple TV, as opposed to iPhone AND Apple TV, I'd personally go a little off the beaten path, pairing a Monoprice 50 Watt Stereo Hybrid Tube Amplifier with Bluetooth & Line Output with a Standalone HD Radio Tuner. No HDMI input (hence no Apple TV), but should have an amazing warm sound thanks to the tube preamp, and the coolness factor is undeniable.

There's also a significantly less expensive 25W model, which is probably more than enough given that you have pretty sensitive speakers.
This looks very interesting indeed.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jalbert wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:27 pm Tubes can be fairly sensitive to type of speaker— the sound rendition of the particular type of tube used and the frequency response of the speakers can be synergistic or antagonistic. Definitely try the speakers with the amp before purchase or be able to return the amp if it is not a good match. I would not want to run a TV through tubes— the wear and replacement cost of the tubes would not be worth it, although preamp tubes would be cheaper.
Monoprice will take returns.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jalbert wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:18 pm
Solid state and the SX-1980 was an excellent receiver but is 270 watts RMS per channel, which is way overspec’d for your speakers, and causes the receiver to be a 78 lb behemoth. The 80 series Pioneer receivers had the best amps among their vintage receivers, but something like an SX-680, SX-780 or SX-980 would be a better match to your speakers. A number of vintage Kenwood, Sansui, and Sony receivers had above-average tuners.
I meant the receiver was from 1980. Not the mdel number. My mstake. The. Model is SX D7000. It has 120 watts per channel.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

jalbert wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Kenkat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm
It should work fine with all TV’s I’ve seen, which is admittedly a small sample. AppleTV or blue ray or whatever to TV over HDMI and stereo audio out from TV to stereo amp. Perhaps not all flat screen TV’s have analog audio out.
Yes, this was the setup I was thinking also. However, our most recent TV does not have the RCA style analog outputs, so maybe an AV receiver is a better choice for future proofing. Really just about any AV receiver in the budgeted price range from a name brand will suffice.
This device would solve the potential future problem of a TV with no analog outputs, so no reason to spend an extra pile of $ now on an AV receiver that is overspec’d to the current requirements.
Monoprice has such interesting items in it. Great find!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

jalbert wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:00 pm
Kenkat wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:22 pm
This device would solve the potential future problem of a TV with no analog outputs, so no reason to spend an extra pile of $ now on an AV receiver that is overspec’d to the current requirements.
That would work but it’s starting to seem like we are going down a Rube Goldberg path. I’m not sure about pairing output from an iPhone headphone out jack through a vintage or tube audio receiver and then through a pair of good quality but smallish bookshelf speakers. It’s like an audiophile sandwich with consumer grade bread. I’d just pick out a decent entry level AV receiver I liked and be done with it for this particular scenario. But - there’s lots of ways to put something together so I will leave it up to the OP.
Topic Author
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Thanks to all who have replied.
Northern Flicker

deleted
Last edited by Northern Flicker on Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.