International car rental fine: ignore?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
coalcracker

International car rental fine: ignore?

Post by coalcracker » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:16 am

I rented a car in Europe at the end of September. Today I received a letter from the (US based) rental car company that I was fined 25 Euros for an unspecified traffic violation on one of the dates we were there in September. My guess based on the date is that I missed or otherwise screwed up a toll booth, but that is beside the point. The letter informed me that the fine would be charged to the credit card of record. That would have been OK by me.

However, I now realize that a few weeks ago I had declined what I thought was a 25 Euro fraudulent charge from Europe after receiving an alert from my cc company. This was obviously an attempt to assess the fine. I received no electronic notification of this fine before the letter yesterday.

Had I known that charge was for a traffic fine, I would have just paid and been done with it. The letter-only partially translated into broken English-states something to the effect that the credit card would be charged AND the local authorities would send some kind of ticket to me in the mail. I'm inclined to just wait and see what other notifications I receive rather than attempt to send money to a foreign police station.

What would you do at this point?

(Anecdotally, in a different foreign car rental snafu a few years back, my windshield was cracked by a rock and I was informed they would charge my credit card for the repair. But nothing was ever charged and I never heard back from them again.)

Silk McCue

Re: International car rental fine: ignore?

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:31 am

You just received the letter saying they would charge your card of record. They will either do that now or they won't. They will either send you another communication or they won't. You did nothing wrong in declining a charge you honestly thought was fraudulent weeks ago.

From what you shared I would do nothing for now.

Cheers

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:44 am

Safest option is to pay by contacting them. Cheapest option may be to wait and see if it goes away. There is risk in that case they they add penalties and that you never get notified then get a big surprise the next Time you visit Europe.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:50 am

I’d ignore for now. The government has been paid and the rental agency is the one billing you in order to get reimbursed, so you won’t be arrested at immigration or detained in a Polish jail. Wait till they contact you again and then settle up.

steve50

Post by steve50 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am

The rental company charges of 25 Euro fee (on the CC you used for rental) to provide local police your information (name, address etc). You will then receive actual ticket fine letter in mail after several weeks directly from them. The letter will have bank name and account information where you can pay via bank or online transfer (to local police dept and not the rental car agency).

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:58 pm

steve50 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am
The rental company charges of 25 Euro fee (on the CC you used for rental) to provide local police your information (name, address etc). You will then receive actual ticket fine letter in mail after several weeks directly from them. The letter will have bank name and account information where you can pay via bank or online transfer (to local police dept and not the rental car agency).
Correct. That is how it usually works (I know it all too well...). So, unfortunately, the potentially bigger shoe has yet to drop...
Last edited by euroswiss on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:01 pm

euroswiss wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:58 pm
steve50 wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:49 am
Correct. That is how it usually works (I know it all too well...). So, unfortunately, the potentially bigger show has yet to drop...
... forgot to add that usually, these are red-light or speed trap cameras that get you busted without you even noticing. While these are not legal in most of the United States, they are a major part of law enforcement (and revenue generation) in many European countries.