Buying a WSJ on Ebay

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
diyinvestor

Buying a WSJ on Ebay

Post by diyinvestor »

I know there's been a couple of recent threads on buying the Wall Street Journal through EBay, but I've got a couple of questions that haven't been covered. The subscription price for the WSJ is these days -- $450! -- is outrageous, so I've been looking at alternatives, but don't want to go down a rabbit hole.

1) Who are the sellers on Ebay, actually? How do they get the subscriptions to sell?

2) Have most folks had a good experience buying WSJ subscriptions this way? Any problems with buying a WSJ subscription on EBay, or things that I should look out for?

Thanks.
gwrvmd

Re: Buying a WSJ on Ebay

Post by gwrvmd »

I have been buying the WSJ through E bay for about 5 years. Cost of about $2.00 a week, about a year at a time
Finished my last one about 3 weeks ago
Just bought the one that is on Ebay now at $65.99 for 7 months, it began 3 days ago, I have never been cheated, its there every day at 6.30 am

I don't know who the sellers are, I don't think I have never bought from the same one twice. Maybe I have been lucky but I have not had a bad experience......Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

+1.
Except my last subscription ended in early November and cost me $85.39 for one year.
msi

Post by msi »

I've done it twice, and no problems either time.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

My local library.

My library also has an electronic online version that one can use at home.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I pay $89 on eBay for 2 years digital only. Works great.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

I purchased a renewal on eBay for a one year print/digital subscription for $75 back in mid-October. Haven't missed an issue yet. For me, it was a no brainer compared to what WSJ was asking.
Kenny911

Post by Kenny911 »

Wow thanks. I just bought a 2 year WSJ digital from Ebay for $68.

Anyone have a good source for NY times digital subscription?
Restless

Post by Restless »

I saw a one-year print and digital deal on eBay for $91. As I was about to pull the trigger, I see delivery of the print edition is via the postal service. Does anyone know how each day’s paper would arrive early that morning via the postal service? All daily newspaper deliveries i’ve known have been via dedicated carriers. Thanks.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

Restless wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:25 pm I saw a one-year print and digital deal on eBay for $91. As I was about to pull the trigger, I see delivery of the print edition is via the postal service. Does anyone know how each day’s paper would arrive early that morning via the postal service? All daily newspaper deliveries i’ve known have been via dedicated carriers. Thanks.
The one I saw was USPS by request. Default is before 7A by normal carrier.

I do have an WSJ sub through WSJ direct. Right now it's about half their full asking price so it's costing me $22 monthly (they reduced it when I asked them to cancel my trial sub). I wasn't aware of the EBAY deals, although I probably need to look into that since I can cancel at any time.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I have used Ebay for subscriptions to the WSJ. As others have posted for their experiences, my experience was great, no issues at all, I am considering a digital subscription to the WSJ or a print edition to The Economist, once my $12 for 12 weeks print and digital subscription to the WSJ runs out.

Search for other threads about magazine subscriptions, there are other places besides Ebay that might suit you better.

I am not sure how exactly an Ebay seller gets the subscriptions to sell, but they do and the subscription is legit.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
Restless

Post by Restless »

I looked around a bit for other deals and didn't see anything better than the $91 deal on eBay. The number of subscriptions available were down to just a couple as business seemed to be brisk. I pull the trigger on this deal, but included a note to the seller about expecting each day's paper to be delivered early that morning, or no deal. I'll see what happens.
Broken Man 1999

Restless wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 pm I looked around a bit for other deals and didn't see anything better than the $91 deal on eBay. The number of subscriptions available were down to just a couple as business seemed to be brisk. I pull the trigger on this deal, but included a note to the seller about expecting each day's paper to be delivered early that morning, or no deal. I'll see what happens.
In my neck of the woods, the WSJ is delivered by the same paper carrier as our local newspaper. The Ebay seller has no control when, or who delivers the WSJ. The delivery is totally up to WSJ local partner. My WSJ is delivered early in the morning, along with the local newspaper.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

Mine is delivered by the USPS.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Broken Man 1999 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm
Restless wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:58 pm I looked around a bit for other deals and didn't see anything better than the $91 deal on eBay. The number of subscriptions available were down to just a couple as business seemed to be brisk. I pull the trigger on this deal, but included a note to the seller about expecting each day's paper to be delivered early that morning, or no deal. I'll see what happens.
In my neck of the woods, the WSJ is delivered by the same paper carrier as our local newspaper. The Ebay seller has no control when, or who delivers the WSJ. The delivery is totally up to WSJ local partner. My WSJ is delivered early in the morning, along with the local newspaper.

Broken Man 1999
Same here.
Restless

Post by Restless »

veggivet wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm Mine is delivered by the USPS.
Do you get each day's paper early that morning?
cu_

Post by cu_ »

2pedals wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:47 pm My local library.

How does this work? rbdigital or WSJ app?
IMhooked

Post by IMhooked »

This!!

runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I wish mine did, but can only search for old articles.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

cu_ wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Uses ProQuest which is a very basic database search application. It contains a database of newspaper articles in full text. You can easily retrieve all of today's articles by selecting today's date after you login to the WSJ online database. Advanced search methods are available as well.

For example if i was looking for this WSJ article
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-foun ... _lead_pos4

I can retrieve it in full text from "my library today" at home or anyplace I have internet access.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

2pedals wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm Uses ProQuest which is a very basic database search application. It contains a database of newspaper articles in full text. You can easily retrieve all of today's articles by selecting today's date after you login to the WSJ online database. Advanced search methods are available as well.

I can retrieve it in full text from "my library today" at home or anyplace I have internet access.
Thanks for posting this, it's a great tip.

I prefer a conventional printed paper and a comfy chair, and this is pure text only (no graphics). But still it's a great bargain and all the articles seem to be there.
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

MisterMister wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:12 pm
2pedals wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm Uses ProQuest which is a very basic database search application. It contains a database of newspaper articles in full text. You can easily retrieve all of today's articles by selecting today's date after you login to the WSJ online database. Advanced search methods are available as well.

Thanks for posting this, it's a great tip.

I prefer a conventional printed paper and a comfy chair, and this is pure text only (no graphics). But still it's a great bargain and all the articles seem to be there.
I agree with you 100%. For some the real deal is worth the subscription. The other thing to keep in mind, my e-library access contains so much more (over 10,000+, newspapers and magazines). I like to read the WSJ and the Boston Globe occasionally (but not worth the subscription to me). Researching articles for hobbies and interests can be fun. For example, DW and I are planning a trip to so we can get ideas on what to do from Arizona Highways Magazine is available for download from RBdigital (contains graphics). Maybe you will find something you like so much that subscription might be worth it.
Last edited by 2pedals on Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Broken Man 1999

Restless wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:05 pm
veggivet wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:59 pm Mine is delivered by the USPS.
Do you get each day's paper early that morning?
My first print subscription to the WSJ was delivered via USPS with my normal mail. My mail was typically delivered in early afternoon. Not sure early morning delivery was even an option at that time, I can't imagine a separate early delivery at a residence for WSJ as surely the costs would have been substantial.

It could be that WSJ uses USPS delivery unless they have enough subscriptions in a to particular zip-code to justify using the local newspaper delivery routes.

Broken Man 1999
veggivet

Post by veggivet »

If I had a post office box, I could pick up the paper anytime after 9AM. My mail is delivered to my house usually by 3PM.
cu_

Post by cu_ »

2pedals wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:16 pm
cu_ wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:21 pm

Uses ProQuest which is a very basic database search application. It contains a database of newspaper articles in full text. You can easily retrieve all of today's articles by selecting today's date after you login to the WSJ online database. Advanced search methods are available as well.

Awesome. Thank you. I looked at the list of databases, but ProQuest is not to be found in our local library. It has 60 other databases though. But, what a good idea. TY for sharing. Glad I asked.
flossmoor

Post by flossmoor »

I bought a 5-year sub to WSJ on eBay. "Online-only, all devices, region-free."

$37.50. Not sure how he does it, but I got the login and password instantly and it has worked for a week. I am unfamiliar with "regularly purchased" WSJ online, and I suspect I might have some stripped-down version, as it does not seem to have all the content, but maybe I am missing something. Still, for 2 cents a day, it's hard to quibble. And he has virtually perfect feedback.
Broken Man 1999

flossmoor wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:14 am I bought a 5-year sub to WSJ on eBay. "Online-only, all devices, region-free."

$37.50. Not sure how he does it, but I got the login and password instantly and it has worked for a week. I am unfamiliar with "regularly purchased" WSJ online, and I suspect I might have some stripped-down version, as it does not seem to have all the content, but maybe I am missing something. Still, for 2 cents a day, it's hard to quibble. And he has virtually perfect feedback.
Five years for $37.50 is a good deal. Right now I use a link from another site, and I can read articles from the NYT and WSJ. When I can no longer read through my current link I'll probably pay for an online subscription for the WSJ. I don't feel the NYT is worth a paid subscription, but I'll read until it is no longer free.

Broken Man 1999
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I normally do a new subscriber promo for $1 or whatever, purchased on a virtual gift card. Then rather than deal with the hassle of talking to a human to cancel, and having their well trained and commissioned salesperson try to negotiate that I stay, I just drain the remaining value of the virtual gift card so they can't charge me more. They eventually figure out that the relationship has ended and stop bothering me.
greggybud

Post by greggybud »

diyinvestor wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:20 pm I know there's been a couple of recent threads on buying the Wall Street Journal through EBay, but I've got a couple of questions that haven't been covered. The subscription price for the WSJ is these days -- $450! -- is outrageous, so I've been looking at alternatives, but don't want to go down a rabbit hole.

1) Who are the sellers on Ebay, actually? How do they get the subscriptions to sell?

2) Have most folks had a good experience buying WSJ subscriptions this way? Any problems with buying a WSJ subscription on EBay, or things that I should look out for?

Thanks.
Just a warning:

December 2018 I purchased a WSJ 1-year news print edition for 91.50 (great deal) which is delivered to my door and delivered by the local newspaper person. The Ebay seller is or was...blueridgemagazines with positive feedback...until recently anyway.

After about 7 months the paper was no longer delivered. I called the WSJ, and the "first level" person was totally helpless, seemingly making up excuses such as "your credit card was declined." "Your student subscription ended." etc. I finally told her this was a transaction through Ebay. She immediately transferred me to the next level, and then I was told that my subscription is "unauthorized" and WSJ is not bound in any way to honor it. The guy said this situation is pretty common.

I called Ebay and was told I'm hosed because it's past their 1 month deadline. I called PayPal and was told the same thing except I guess with PayPal it's 6 months. I emphasized to both companies this was a Ebay sale for a daily subscription, and that a portion of the subscription, 5 months, had not been delivered since I have until December 2019.

I always ask for employee I.D.s and take notes for later documentation purposes and follow-up.

My contention is that if Ebay can't monitor their own subscription sales listing, then they shouldn't allow these potentially fraudulent listings. I'm sure they keep better watch with guns. I'm confident the seller paid WSJ for 6 months, knowing after 6 months PayPal won't do anything, and now of course he won't reply to my requests.

So if anything this is a huge reason why when paying via PayPal you need to use your credit card instead of allowing PayPal to suck it in from your personal checking or savings account. I contacted my credit card company, and they will do the dispute fraud "investigation" thing however for this little amount, I bet they will just write it off.

Really, I think I should open a case with State of Oregon Department of Justice against Ebay/PayPal and let them investigate. In this state it's amazing the things they achieve by simply sending letters to the proper departments.
jbzgt1

Post by jbzgt1 »

flossmoor wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:14 am I bought a 5-year sub to WSJ on eBay. "Online-only, all devices, region-free."

How has this been working out? Just saw the same listing on eBay and might bite myself.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

jbzgt1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:49 am

How has this been working out? Just saw the same listing on eBay and might bite myself.
I did it. They sent me a primary & backup login. A little suspicious since the primary stopped working after a week, but the backup is still working a couple of months later.
duckman3307

Post by duckman3307 »

After being a faithful WSJ subscriber $39.96 per month for the print version we finally cancelled since it seemed too expensive. Looked around and bought 1 year through Ebay. It was only 86 bucks and I thought I was so smart...The seller was "globalwsj" and didn't have stellar ratings (84%) at the time.
In the beginning when the paper didn't come- 9 missed delivery days in the first 6 months- the seller actually responded to my complaint. He simply said that the WSJ has delivery issues and they will resume after a couple of days. I guess it's something the carriers do without being faulted. Then after the 90 days passed ( Ebay's return window to get a refund) the seller didn't respond to me any longer. Now the paper doesn't come at all so my 1 year subscription was really 7 1/2 months. My husband wants to go back to WSJ legit and pay the full price- I'm more inclined to take my chances with Ebay again and expect it to be 6 months I'm paying for instead of the 1 year that's in the item description of terms.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

bluebolt wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:18 pm
jbzgt1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:49 am

I did it. They sent me a primary & backup login. A little suspicious since the primary stopped working after a week, but the backup is still working a couple of months later.
If it's too good to be true it probably is.

The guy is scamming WSJ. He's probably buying 1 subscription and selling dozens of these logins to users.

No reputable company sends you credentials like this.

Oh and the print versions on the cheap are probably scams on them selling you these $1/week for 12 weeks deals then reupping again with a different name. You're none the wiser until they get caught and shut down the sub.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Funny, I had subscribed to this topic and saw the posts today. Went to read my eBay purchased online sub... Dead after 3 months.

Looks like the seller bailed.

Will be disputing with PayPal and my Credit Card.

Feedback in the last few days indicates it was all accounts this guy sold.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Have been a WSJ subscriber for 25+ years. Most of those years we used air miles and had to setup new accounts every year.....it was kind of a PITA....but we made it work.

Since retirement, I did subscribe to an ebay account 2 years ago. I think the cost was $119/year. We live in a rural area in Wisconsin so consistent delivery was a problem....and continues to be.

I am no longer connected to the ebay account and now in direct contact with the customer service with WSJ. I am now paying $19.49 per month direct to WSJ......so far so good. Delivery is still an issue.....but I do have both print and online so.....still have access to this wonderful newspaper.

As noted above......I've been a subscriber to the WSJ for 25+ years.....IMHO.....I can't think of a better way to spend my spare time reading the WSJ.......although fishing and golfing does play an important role in my recreational activities....... :sharebeer
Horton

Post by Horton »

If you knew you were purchasing login credentials to the WSJ via a seller on eBay who was violating WSJ’s terms and conditions, would you still do it?
80% global equities (faith-based tilt) + 20% TIPS (LDI)
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

Horton wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:57 pm If you knew you were purchasing login credentials to the WSJ via a seller on eBay who was violating WSJ’s terms and conditions, would you still do it?
Yes.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

For anyone still following, you can grab the digital sub for $48 over the next year, here (direct from WSJ) - $4 per month.

https://store.wsj.com/shop/us/us/wsjuel ... 1=APCc9OU1