Buying used car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Moore02

Buying used car

Post by Moore02 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm

Hi, I am doing a little research in trying to buy a new (used) van for our family. We have found a van we LOVE, a 2015 Honda Odyssey. My concern is that it has 74k miles on it. I know these vans are supposed to last a long time, but that much mileage is making me nervous. It has a great carfax report, and seems to be kept in great condition. I have no on hand dealing with these vans, so If anyone has any suggestions, please comment. Thank you!

manuvns

Re: Buying used car

Post by manuvns » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:55 pm

i won't buy a used honda i am a toyota fan

abonder

Post by abonder » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:01 pm

Hard to tell you more without details. The most recent consumer reports rated 3 year old odyssey as above average reliability but less reliable than Toyota Sienna. Lots of threads on Bogleheads about the Honda Odyssey - including many threads on new vs. used. I think most people regard the odyssey as overall reliable although there are some known issues.

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 pm

They are a very good vehicle overall. Honda builds some of the best engines. Transmissions, however, in the last 20 years have been questionable. Do some reasearch on the transmission failure rate of the 2015 Honda Vans. I have a Honda SUV I drive daily that's on its third transmission.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Don't place too much trust in carfax. Often, the accidents and damages are never reported to their network. Have the vehicle inspected for mechanical and prior cosmetic damage and pay special attention to the service records. Was the transmission serviced? If not, it's due (make sure parts are Honda and fluid MUST be Honda brand).

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 pm

Even if the minivan went into service in Fall 2014, that is nearly 20,000 miles per year.

I’d pass unless the price was really good.

monkey_business

Post by monkey_business » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:17 am

manuvns wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:55 pm
i won't buy a used honda i am a toyota fan
Cool.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 am

delamer wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:55 pm
Even if the minivan went into service in Fall 2014, that is nearly 20,000 miles per year.

This is the entire premise of buying a used car.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:33 am

Does it have the service records?

The one knock on the Odyssey’s are the transmissions (as mentioned above). I’d make sure that the transmission oil was changed at the manuafacturer's recommended mileage or, even better, more frequently.

Otherwise, 74,000 miles on a Honda is not much. Edit: Really, 74,000 miles on most cars is not much nowadays.

JT

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:39 am

Moore02 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm
I have no on hand dealing with these vans, so If anyone has any suggestions, please comment. Thank you!
It all depends on the price.

It may very well last a long time but you can't really count on it so I would use 150k miles as a target for how long it might last without needing major work.

As a back of the envelope calculation I would not even consider it unless you could get it for well less than 50% of what it cost to buy a new one. I suspect that is unlikely with a Honda.

In addition to having a mechanic look at it you should also consider these possible costs;

1) How new are the tires? If they will need to be replaced soon then that could be another thousand dollars.

2) Some cars need a new timing belt at about 90k miles and that can be expensive.

3) Check the features on the 2015 compared to a new van. A 2019 may have a lot of new advanced safety features and a sound system that works well with your cell phone. Consider how much that is worth to you.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:40 am

Also use the Car FAX report to determine how many owners it has had. Ideally try and find a single owner vehicle with maintenance records reported, where it has been registered in your local area.

I agree with others seems like too many miles per year, could be a lot of highway miles, or perhaps it was used as an uber / taxi.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

What is the asking price and trim level of the van? We have a 2014 Odyssey EX that has been great, but we are only at about 40k mileage. My first impression is that the mileage on the one you are looking at is too high. I would probably pass unless the price is great and you don’t plan to put a lot of additional miles on it.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:25 am
delamer wrote:

20k/yr isnt really that crazy of mileage. You would expect another 75k of prettty low cost and another 75k with one or two decent sized repairs on most cars these days.

Used cars are all about price. If that 30k out the door van is selling for like 15k, that is pretty appealing. 25k? not so much.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:04 am

randomguy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am

20k/yr isnt really that crazy of mileage. You would expect another 75k of prettty low cost and another 75k with one or two decent sized repairs on most cars these days.

Used cars are all about price. If that 30k out the door van is selling for like 15k, that is pretty appealing. 25k? not so much.
Agreed, it's really just a mental hump for some that either can't get over it or have no desire to get over it. If Hondas and Toyotas go 200,000 miles that most BH proclaim with virtually no major problems, then getting a car at 75,000 miles with the savings you get is a slam dunk over the course of a lifetime of driving in financial terms.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:42 am

I've got a 2014 EX-L with 51,000 miles on it. I was prompted to have the transmission fluid changed at around 30,000 miles, which I thought at the time was a bit early for a tranny fluid change, but have otherwise had no issues with the transmission. Perhaps you should look for evidence of that early fluid change in the maintenance records of the car you are considering.

There were big transmission problems in the second generation of Odyssey vans (circa 1999-2006), but I've not heard of any tranny problems affecting large numbers of vans in the latest generation. Be careful about the on-line reviews where just a handful of people are complaining. You never know if those folks were towing with their vans, etc.

All that said, the van you are considering does have higher than average mileage for its age. You should get a steep discount for that or pass.

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
delamer wrote:

I don’t understand your comment.

While used cars are priced lower than a new model of the same car, that doesn’t mean that any given used car is a good deal.

It is just as possible to overpay for a used car as it is to overpay for a new one.

I bought my current car used. It was 2.5 years old with 18,000 miles on it. So 75,000 miles in 3 years is too much for me.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am

Thank you everyone. I should have put more info, I am sorry for that. The van we are looking at is the ex-l package. Leather seats, back up camera, Bluetooth, navigation... all the bells and whistles. It is a one owner car. I will do more research on the maintenance of the vehicle before any major decisions, as well as make sure to check on the transmission maintenance! Thank you to all who have kindly responded! we are looking to get this van for about 17k.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 am

delamer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am
deltaneutral83 wrote:
delamer wrote:

While used cars are priced lower than a new model of the same car, that doesn’t mean that any given used car is a good deal.

It is just as possible to overpay for a used car as it is to overpay for a new one.

I bought my current car used. It was 2.5 years old with 18,000 miles on it. So 75,000 miles in 3 years is too much for me.
I guess I don't understand either. All things equal, anybody would be baking in a discount for buying used vs new using their own sliding scale, the comment you made seemed to be a "water is wet/the sky is blue" kind of statement and I didn't know if there was other context I was missing. Perhaps you were emphasizing that this car the OP is referencing is "really used" vs. "used" as it has more miles than you expected for the age?? Either way the same sliding scale for price offered is the same.

No one stated that "Any given used car is a good deal." That one word you used blows the context completely out of the water. What is understood, all things equal, is that used cars, the majority of the time, are more financially prudent. To the other point, 75,000 miles in three years is simply a personal decision. I typically bounce things off my mechanic in that situation as I know zero about cars. I do know that highway vs city miles makes a huge difference where we haven't really been informed one way or the other on that.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 am

Moore02 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:54 am
Thank you everyone. I should have put more info, I am sorry for that. The van we are looking at is the ex-l package. Leather seats, back up camera, Bluetooth, navigation... all the bells and whistles. It is a one owner car. I will do more research on the maintenance of the vehicle before any major decisions, as well as make sure to check on the transmission maintenance! Thank you to all who have kindly responded! we are looking to get this van for about 17k.
Sounds like a nice car if you can get it for a good price.
Good luck. :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

delamer

Post by delamer » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:08 am

deltaneutral83 wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:56 am
delamer wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:45 am
deltaneutral83 wrote:
delamer wrote:

I guess I don't understand either. All things equal, anybody would be baking in a discount for buying used vs new using their own sliding scale, the comment you made seemed to be a "water is wet/the sky is blue" kind of statement and I didn't know if there was other context I was missing. Perhaps you were emphasizing that this car the OP is referencing is "really used" vs. "used" as it has more miles than you expected for the age?? Either way the same sliding scale for price offered is the same.

No one stated that "Any given used car is a good deal." That one word you used blows the context completely out of the water. What is understood, all things equal, is that used cars, the majority of the time, are more financially prudent. To the other point, 75,000 miles in three years is simply a personal decision. I typically bounce things off my mechanic in that situation as I know zero about cars. I do know that highway vs city miles makes a huge difference where we haven't really been informed one way or the other on that.
I said “I’d pass unless the price was really good.”

You said “This is the entire premise of buying of a used car.”

But it isn’t for me. I’ve bought used cars that were well priced for their age and condition because they met my needs. They didn’t necessarily have really good prices, just fair prices.

So I disagreed with your premise.

EDIT: I agree that buying used is more financially prudent than buying new. My point was that not all used cars are sold for “really good prices.”
Last edited by delamer on Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:11 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:57 am
Moore02 wrote:
Sounds like a nice car if you can get it for a good price.
Good luck. :D

Thank you. It really is everything we want, and I think that’s a decent price. Been sitting on it for about two weeks. I think if we don’t get it soon, someone else will. Still a little more research to do (maintenance) before anything though!

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:13 am

randomguy wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:41 am
deltaneutral83 wrote:
delamer wrote:

Yes, I agree. It is all about price. This van is the EX-L trim for about 17k. I think if I can get it for about 16k, we might got for it, as long as maintenance records show it’s been well taken care of.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:19 am

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 pm
They are a very good vehicle overall. Honda builds some of the best engines. Transmissions, however, in the last 20 years have been questionable. Do some reasearch on the transmission failure rate of the 2015 Honda Vans. I have a Honda SUV I drive daily that's on its third transmission.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Don't place too much trust in carfax. Often, the accidents and damages are never reported to their network. Have the vehicle inspected for mechanical and prior cosmetic damage and pay special attention to the service records. Was the transmission serviced? If not, it's due (make sure parts are Honda and fluid MUST be Honda brand).

Thank you SOO much for the info! It’s very much appreciated!

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:24 am

Someone mentioned this above, but I'm not sure you noticed it. Honda V6 vans have a timing belt, not a timing chain. So that van is going to be due for a timing belt change soon, which is an expensive repair (approximately $800-1000 or so, I think). That may be one reason why the seller is unloading the van now.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:26 am

Rupert wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:24 am
Someone mentioned this above, but I'm not sure you noticed it. Honda V6 vans have a timing belt, not a timing chain. So that van is going to be due for a timing belt change soon, which is an expensive repair (approximately $800-1000 or so, I think). That may be one reason why the seller is unloading the van now.

Thank you for replying! I am looking into this as well! 🙂

Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:35 pm

I bought a 2011 Odyssey EX-L (same body style as 2015) with roughly that mileage last year, so I'd say that's pretty high for a 2015. It's easily my favorite car I've owned, though, and I've had much 'cooler' cars. Absolutely love the thing.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 pm

Moore02 wrote:

I would guess that it is about half of what it would cost new, but I could be mistaken.

The way that I would compare it to buying a new car is like this.

Assumptions;
1) Whichever car you get you will keep until it had 150k miles.
2) You will then sell it for $2,000.
3) you drive the average of 12,000 miles per year.
4) The used car would cost $17,000, a new car would cost $34,000

For this car it means;
1) 150,000 - 74,000 = 76,000 miles. Divided by 12,000 is so you would keep it for 6.3 years.
2) When you sell it for $2,000 it will have cost you $15,000 in depreciation.
3) 15000/6.3= $2,381 in depreciation per year.

For a new car;
1) 150,000/12,000 = 12.5 years that you would keep it.
2) When you sell it for $2,000 it will have cost you $32,000 in depreciation.
3) $32,000/12.5 = $2,560 a year in depreciation.

There are other factors like;
1) The non routine maintenance can be expected to be about same for either car when it has between 74,000 and 150,000 miles on it.

2) For a new car you can expect it to have very low or zero non-routine maintenance costs for the first 74,000 miles, unless you get unlucky.

3) It might be running good when it gets to 150,000 miles and you might keep it longer, but that would be true for either a new or used car.

4) If you need to get a car loan then there will be interest costs. If you pay cash for a new car then you will not be able to have the extra money invested and may lose out on some investment income.

You can crunch the numbers with more realistic assumptions for your specific situation but to me it sort of looks like a tossup with buying a new car since you would need about two used cars like that to last as long as new car would last. There is also a non-zero chance that there is a problem with the car that a mechanic will not find when they inspect it.

One situation where it might make more sense is if you drive less than most people, for example if you only drive 6,000 miles a year then each year the van would have closer to average miles.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm

Watty wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:25 pm
Moore02 wrote:

I would guess that it is about half of what it would cost new, but I could be mistaken.

The way that I would compare it to buying a new car is like this.

Assumptions;
3) you drive the average of 12,000 miles per year.
4) The used car would cost $17,000, a new car would cost $34,000

For this car it means;
1) 150,000 - 74,000 = 76,000 miles. Divided by 12,000 is so you would keep it for 6.3 years.
2) When you sell it for $2,000 it will have cost you $15,000 in depreciation.
3) 15000/6.3= $2,381 in depreciation per year.

For a new car;
1) 150,000/12,000 = 12.5 years that you would keep it.
2) When you sell it for $2,000 it will have cost you $32,000 in depreciation.
3) $32,000/12.5 = $2,560 a year in depreciation.

There are other factors like;
1) The non routine maintenance can be expected to be about same for either car when it has between 74,000 and 150,000 miles on it.

2) For a new car you can expect it to have very low or zero non-routine maintenance costs for the first 74,000 miles, unless you get unlucky.

3) It might be running good when it gets to 150,000 miles and you might keep it longer, but that would be true for either a new or used car.

4) If you need to get a car loan then there will be interest costs. If you pay cash for a new car then you will not be able to have the extra money invested and may lose out on some investment income.

You can crunch the numbers with more realistic assumptions for your specific situation but to me it sort of looks like a tossup with buying a new car since you would need about two used cars like that to last as long as new car would last. There is also a non-zero chance that there is a problem with the car that a mechanic will not find when they inspect it.

One situation where it might make more sense is if you drive less than most people, for example if you only drive 6,000 miles a year then each year the van would have closer to average miles.

Thank you so much for this useful information!!! The only problem is buyin a new car is not in our budget right now as we are a one income family. If we could afford new, or even lower miles, we would definitely do that! The thing is, these vans are known to last. We could get a newer 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan with less miles for the same price, but they aren’t as reliable.
We haven’t purchased a van yet. We went and test drove the Honda Odyssey, and loved it, but we just weren’t ready to commit because they would not budge on price.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Moore02 wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:16 pm
The only problem is buying a new car is not in our budget right now as we are a one income family.
Been there, done that. :D

It don't recall if you said if you would be paying cash for the van or financing it. If you need to finance it you could end up with an expensive car repair while you are still making car payments. I wouldn't want to finance a car with that many miles since it could have a lot of miles on it by the time the loan is paid off.

If you can pay cash then buying it would be less risky since a large car repair would be easier to handle.

I would modify that statement some though, I bought a new 2018 Corolla in January for a bit more than $15K and about $2K in local tax so that would be in the same price range. It sounds like you could afford a new car, just not a new van.
Moore02 wrote:
We could get a newer 2017 Dodge Grand Caravan with less miles for the same price, but they aren’t as reliable.
If it has reasonable miles it should have a lot of the powertrain warranty left.

Moore02 wrote:
The thing is, these vans are known to last.
I would be cautious about assuming how long the van would last. It looks like only about 2.4% of Odysseys will last 200K miles.

https://clark.com/cars/10-best-reliable ... 018-study/

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:23 pm

Watty wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:29 pm

I would be cautious about assuming how long the van would last. It looks like only about 2.4% of Odysseys will last 200K miles.

https://clark.com/cars/10-best-reliable ... 018-study/
That isn't what that study says at all. It says that of all the odysseys sold in 2017, 2.4% had 200k miles. That isn't remotely the same as saying 2.4% of odysseys make it to 200k miles.

Topic Author
Moore02

Post by Moore02 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:18 am

So they just lowered the price online to the deal they were going to give me... 17.9k. Now would be a good time to offer a little lower then? I’m bad at negotiating lol I always get too nervous.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:40 am

Go in on Dec 31 with your check book, 1 hour before they close, and see what they say. If they say no, there's always tomorrow.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:58 am

We have had two of them, and my wife loves them so much due to reliability, mileage and convenience that she recently purchased a new one rather than a sedan even though we are empty nesters. A relative has also had two, one of which had a transmission issue. Though reliable, there is always the possibility an individual one will be faulty, an important reason to find out as much as possible when purchasing a used automobile. They are typically used by families, of course, so may have many local miles. I would definitely have tires and brake linings checked. The first one we had was sold to a relative at 65,000. She recently replaced it at approximately 140,000 miles, not because it had problems but because they wanted a newer one. Just our experience.

Tim

aluminum

Post by aluminum » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm

Watty wrote:

Assumptions;
Let's at least start with a realistic figure for the sale price so that we don't stack the deck towards a 'desired' outcome. Go try to find a 150k mile Odyssey listed for 2k.

High mileage for the age isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you are comparing apples to apples when deciding (equal miles, not equal model years). It's a logical assumption that a car with high mileage per year was primarily used for highway driving, where one with low miles would have had more city/local miles. Considering highway miles are much less harsh on the vehicle than city driving, that would potentially be a plus over the same mileage vehicle a couple years older.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:47 pm

aluminum wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm
Watty wrote:

Assumptions;
Let's at least start with a realistic figure for the sale price so that we don't stack the deck towards a 'desired' outcome. Go try to find a 150k mile Odyssey listed for 2k.

High mileage for the age isn't necessarily a bad thing as long as you are comparing apples to apples when deciding (equal miles, not equal model years). It's a logical assumption that a car with high mileage per year was primarily used for highway driving, where one with low miles would have had more city/local miles. Considering highway miles are much less harsh on the vehicle than city driving, that would potentially be a plus over the same mileage vehicle a couple years older.
Plenty of 2k odysseys.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/deta ... /overview/
and so on.

To some extent something like 1.5k trade in, 3k private sale, 4k dealer is probably closer to the market. Either way a 1000 bucks doesn't radically change the results.

The problem with assumptions is that they are often false. That miles could be a result of driving 60 miles on a highway every day for an hour of driving. Or maybe I am using it for Uber and spending 8 hours a day driving on surface streets at low speeds. You sort of have to figure out which is which which can be almost impossible to verify. With a high mileage/year accord, I would say that is person with a long commute on the highway. With a high mileage minivan, I am thinking someone who is making tons of short trips with the kids all day long with the occasional high mileage family vacation. But I also realize those are only stereotypes that might not apply to the car I am looking at. And it is very hard to figure out what story is true in most cases.

Unless of course someone is driving 1 million miles in under 6 years: https://jalopnik.com/woman-becomes-high ... 1831217446
then we know they are driving on the highways and putting in a ton of hours:)

You might want to price out a 90k-100k model that has had the timing belt changed. That is something like 1000-1500 (belt, water pump, and I forget the rest) maintenance item. Might as well have someone else pay for it.:)

ram

Post by ram » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Consider a clean carfax report as a necessary but not sufficient condition to buy a used car.
My Odyssey 2006 has 113 K miles and runs fine.
Ram

aluminum

Post by aluminum » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:38 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:47 pm
aluminum wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm
Watty wrote:

Assumptions;

Plenty of 2k odysseys.

and so on.

To some extent something like 1.5k trade in, 3k private sale, 4k dealer is probably closer to the market. Either way a 1000 bucks doesn't radically change the results.
Okay, fair point if we don't cap the year. The links you posted are all for ~18 year old vehicles. The one in question is a 2015 model with around 75k miles. The national average for annual miles driven is 13500. So, you're looking at 5.5 years for the average person to hit 150k. That means you'll be looking at getting rid of it in 2024, when it's 9 years old. Looking at 9-10yr old, 150k or more mile Odysseys, I'm seeing:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal ... pe=listing

The problem with assumptions is that they are often false. That miles could be a result of driving 60 miles on a highway every day for an hour of driving. Or maybe I am using it for Uber and spending 8 hours a day driving on surface streets at low speeds. You sort of have to figure out which is which which can be almost impossible to verify. With a high mileage/year accord, I would say that is person with a long commute on the highway. With a high mileage minivan, I am thinking someone who is making tons of short trips with the kids all day long with the occasional high mileage family vacation. But I also realize those are only stereotypes that might not apply to the car I am looking at. And it is very hard to figure out what story is true in most cases.
That's all well and good, but as you said, you've got no way to verify. My point was not to say you should run out and buy higher mileage cars over lower mileage ones, but instead to counter those that stated high miles/year suggests an abusive lifestyle, because the statistics disagree. That is to say, if you're looking at 75000 mile cars (which there's nothing wrong with - last Honda I bought had 100k at purchase, and that was 76k trouble free miles ago), don't discount a younger car, because miles per year is somewhere between irrelevant, and a possible benefit.

I would argue that it's still possible to gauge it somewhat - 75k miles of kids or Uber passengers getting in and out all day long is going to show more interior wear and tear than mom dropping off the kids to daycare first thing in the am, then commuting 40 miles for work, but I'm sure the OP is looking for clues like that already.

usnaron

Post by usnaron » Fri Dec 21, 2018 1:29 am

Moore02 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:06 pm
Hi, I am doing a little research in trying to buy a new (used) van for our family. We have found a van we LOVE, a 2015 Honda Odyssey. My concern is that it has 74k miles on it. I know these vans are supposed to last a long time, but that much mileage is making me nervous. It has a great carfax report, and seems to be kept in great condition. I have no on hand dealing with these vans, so If anyone has any suggestions, please comment. Thank you!
Before you buy, read about the known VCM (variable cylinder management) issues with these vans. After mine had issues and got fixed under warranty (65k miles) I installed a VCMuzzler which prevents the car from turning off cylinders, haven't had any issues since. If I had to do it again, I'd buy a Sienna.