Volkswagen Reliability

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
monkey_business

Volkswagen Reliability

Post by monkey_business »

For those with first hand experience with newer (2010+) Volkswagens, what has your experience been in regards to reliability? I am considering a new Golf GTI and my only reservation is whether it can serve me well for ~10 years or so.
bryanm

Re: Volkswagen Reliability

Post by bryanm »

So obviously it's too early to know the 10 year reliability of 2010+ model cars. That said, we had 2 different 2013 TDI's, both sold back this year due to the scandal. Different engine than the GTIs, but otherwise many of the same components. Both performed great, no issues to speak of. Friends with a 2011 GTI and a 2011 TDI report similar things. I would have purchased a 2018 e-Golf but for them not being sold in my state.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Volkswagen is trash. 1st hand and 2nd hand experience. That 2.0T engine is especially trash. Although they do come with a 6 year warranty so if you want to keep it for 5 years or so you can protect yourself from repair costs and still sell it to someone under warranty. Expect to be in the shop a lot.
Last edited by Jags4186 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emoore

Post by emoore »

I have a 2011 GTI and just hit 90k miles. Had one thing replaced under warranty (High pressure fuel pump). Nothing since except routine maintenance. One of the most reliable cars I've owned.
Topic Author
monkey_business

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 pm Volkswagen is trash. 1st hand and 2nd hand experience. That 2.0T engine is especially trash. Although they do come with a 6 year warranty so if you want to keep it for 5 years or so you can protect yourself from repair costs and still sell it to someone under warranty. Expect to be in the shop a lot.
Would you mind elaborating on what happened?
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

I'll just say that VW's 6 year / 72,000 mile warranty on new cars is why I bought my GTI. Even if something does go bad, I'm not going to have to worry about it for a long time.

Also, you're always going to find stuff wrong with even "reliable" brands. See the oil/gas dilution issue on Honda CRV's or the problems people have with Subarus burning oil. And yet nobody would consider those brands "unreliable". In general, all cars are more reliable now than in the past. The question is what is the company going to do about it when there's an issue and for how long.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

monkey_business wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 pm Volkswagen is trash. 1st hand and 2nd hand experience. That 2.0T engine is especially trash. Although they do come with a 6 year warranty so if you want to keep it for 5 years or so you can protect yourself from repair costs and still sell it to someone under warranty. Expect to be in the shop a lot.
I can give you my laundry list:

In 5 years and 80,000 miles of ownership on a 2012 GLI:
4 high pressure fuel pumps
10 tires that had bubbles in them from hitting what I wouldn’t even consider a “pot hole”—if you’re not familiar with low profile tires definitely buy the tire insurance (fortunately I had that)
Complete engine rebuild—timing chain broke and pistons fell into the engine (car in the shop for 2 weeks)
Cord which is attached to the latch to adjust the seat broke—required a new drivers seat
Serious electrical gremlins—engine fans would not turn off once shutting car off. Car would always be dead in the morning. First time this happened I was told I needed a new battery. Then this new battery was fried by the alternator. Then the alternator needed to be replaced. Car still exhibited these issues.
Car would randomly not start towards the end of ownership
Air conditioner wouldn’t get cold once I got to around 70k miles if the car wasn’t in motion.
Awful squeal when coming off the clutch near the end as well
Of course many of these things could never be duplicated when bringing into the dealership...required multiple visits.
Nearly all of these things were fixed under warranty but I probably had the car in the shop for a month a year. Completely unacceptable.
The only thing this car did for me was when I finally sold it it behaved during the test drive.

A coworker of mine had a Volkswagen CC with the same engine and experienced similar issues—he had a broken timing chain that required an engine replacement. He also began having serious electrical issues around 80,000 miles.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

bryanm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm So obviously it's too early to know the 10 year reliability of 2010+ model cars. That said, we had 2 different 2013 TDI's, both sold back this year due to the scandal. Different engine than the GTIs, but otherwise many of the same components. Both performed great, no issues to speak of. Friends with a 2011 GTI and a 2011 TDI report similar things. I would have purchased a 2018 e-Golf but for them not being sold in my state.
Huh. I bought my 2015 TDI Passat this year because of the scandal. Nice boilerplate warranty. Love the car so far. 40+ MPG average ain't bad either.
bryanm

Post by bryanm »

oldlongbeard wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pm
bryanm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:22 pm So obviously it's too early to know the 10 year reliability of 2010+ model cars. That said, we had 2 different 2013 TDI's, both sold back this year due to the scandal. Different engine than the GTIs, but otherwise many of the same components. Both performed great, no issues to speak of. Friends with a 2011 GTI and a 2011 TDI report similar things. I would have purchased a 2018 e-Golf but for them not being sold in my state.
Huh. I bought my 2015 TDI Passat this year because of the scandal. Nice boilerplate warranty. Love the car so far. 40+ MPG average ain't bad either.
We sold for financial, rather than moral, reasons. Because of our relatively low mileage habits, we got the list price for a 0 mile vehicle as of 2015 (way higher than true market value). We also got the fraud settlement, but would have got that either way. Seems like everyone won, except maybe VW.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

I originally owned a 2008 VW Passat station wagon and in 2010 gave it to my daughter when someone ran into her and totaled her 2001.5 VW Passat wagon. The 2008 now has a bit over 100K miles on it and she has had all sorts of problems with it such that she is ready to get rid of it. I never had such problems with my 2001.5. I personally can no longer recommend VW products and have eliminated VW from my search for a new vehicle for myself. :annoyed
Tom D.
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

bryanm wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:22 pm
oldlongbeard wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:15 pm
We sold for financial, rather than moral, reasons. Because of our relatively low mileage habits, we got the list price for a 0 mile vehicle as of 2015 (way higher than true market value). We also got the fraud settlement, but would have got that either way. Seems like everyone won, except maybe VW.
Yup... For folks like yourself, it was an I. Q. test. My results long term are as yet unknown. I will say a friend just lunched a timing chain tensioner on his GTI 2.0T....to the tune of about $4800.
fortfun

Post by fortfun »

I'm a Toyota guy but my brother had two VWs, one was a Golf, both were in the shop way more than my Toyotas. The engine blew in the Golf at 150k. I like to see 200k before any major problems. He moved on to Subaru.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Turbo29

Post by Turbo29 »

I have owned both a 2004 TDI Jetta and a 2009 TDI Jetta (2009 bought back for the emissions settlement). Both were great cars for me with no issues.

Both models had serious problems that some owners experienced. 2004 models were prone to premature cam wear. 2009 and later models were prone to high pressure fuel pump failure; many owners had to fight VW to get this $10K repair covered. (Entire fuel system had to be replaced if this happend.) Finally VW caved and extended the warranty.

Also the diesel particulate filter was prone to plug up at about 120K miles.

Although I thoroughly enjoyed the performance and economy of the 2009, I always felt I was driving a ticking time bomb. When the chance came to sell it back to them, I didn't hesitate.

I also know people who have had gas models. It seems every VW model has some weakness, which results in an expensive and uncovered (usually until the uproar gets too great and VW caves) repair.

No Thanks.
Last edited by Turbo29 on Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them. --M. Twain
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

VW ranks in the bottom half of JD Power dependability and reliability studies. What good are anecdotal notes from a handful of Internet strangers?
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

I owned a 2012 Passat SE TDI and drove it for 120k miles before selling it back to VW post-dieselgate scandal.

For the most part it was reliable. Specific issues I remembered owning it:

1) Some temp sensor that got fried when the DPF regen failed to kick in: $900
2) Transmission went out at 120k. Quote was $2,500 to fix it but ended up selling it to VW under the EPA settlement agreement which was pretty generous.

Going forward I would consider Honda, Subaru, and Mazda as viable alternatives to VW.
jumppilot

Post by jumppilot »

A 2005 Jetta I used to drive had the transmission fail at 40,000 miles. Junked it for a Honda.

I will never purchase a VW in the future.
fundus

Post by fundus »

I had a 2010 VW GTI I sold earlier this year with 110K miles. It had a couple of issues:

Just after the factory warranty expired (maybe 40K miles), the airbag light came on. It was a non-serviceable part, and the entire airbag had to be replaced.
Within one week of the airbag being fixed, the check engine light came on. Turns out the intake manifold was sticking/broken, and VW covered it under warranty which they extended to 120K miles for that particular problem. Apparently, that became a well known, recurrent issue for that generation of GTIs. I had the same intake manifold failure at about 80K miles that was also covered under warranty.

Outside of that, it was a great car. Fun, relatively good gas mileage, and a good daily driver. I've actually been looking to replace it with something a little larger and safer, but I cannot find the fun factor without buying a luxury brand.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Not all VW's are created equal. I had new 2006 GTI and it was nice and reliable. My wife has a 2018 Tiguan SEL and there is no way I'd buy it again. Tons of recalls and underpowered.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Another anecdote: born in Mexico GTI 2008, 5k per year now 52k miles.
Did the timing chain tensioner repair prophylactically and paid $1600 out of pocket - there is a VW settlement now and waiting to see what funds come back. Apparently a known defect that if not fixed = catastrophic engine failure. Kind of miffed VW didn't do a massive recall.
That said, the GTI is a great daily commuting car, great compromise of fun/sporty/practical. Was $20k total and took advantage of VW's 5 year 0% financing for it.
Would do it again, but with DSG and 5-door - plan for a new car in next 5 years, curious about Leaf/Bolt/what else electric shows up.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

arsenalfan wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:26 am Another anecdote: born in Mexico GTI 2008, 5k per year now 52k miles.
Did the timing chain tensioner repair prophylactically and paid $1600 out of pocket - there is a VW settlement now and waiting to see what funds come back. Apparently a known defect that if not fixed = catastrophic engine failure. Kind of miffed VW didn't do a massive recall.
That said, the GTI is a great daily commuting car, great compromise of fun/sporty/practical. Was $20k total and took advantage of VW's 5 year 0% financing for it.
Would do it again, but with DSG and 5-door - plan for a new car in next 5 years, curious about Leaf/Bolt/what else electric shows up.
Yeah, that timing chain thing is a bear. Happened to a co-worker's Tiguan and my sister-in-law's Audi (same engine). Both were able to get them repaired under the settlement (after much consternation).

The stereotypes for German cars surely apply with VW: 1. Preventive maintenance is key. 2. They don't break down often, but... 3. When they do break down, it's time for a 2nd mortgage on the house
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

baconavocado wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:55 pm So you're OK buying a car from a company that plead guilty to violating the US Clean Air Act and paid more $4B in fines? Why, because you like the "style" of the car?

I'd think about supporting companies that are innovative, build high quality products, and know how to obey the law. It's all about ethics and good management. Good companies are out there, but they're not VW.
.... well, if you have ever purchased ANYTHING made in China, you may wanna hop off your high horse, and get down here in the gutter with the rest of us.
PS- I bought the car used. I can promise you VW will not make a penny on ANY Of these TDI cars that are resold. Take a look at the warranty paperwork. It's a COURT ORDER, not a VW choice, whether to cover any given repair. $4B gonna be a drop in the bucket over time.

Just my opinion,
Greg in West Mitten
oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard »

stimulacra wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am I owned a 2012 Passat SE TDI and drove it for 120k miles before selling it back to VW post-dieselgate scandal.

2) Transmission went out at 120k. Quote was $2,500 to fix it but ended up selling it to VW under the EPA settlement agreement which was pretty generous.

Going forward I would consider Honda, Subaru, and Mazda as viable alternatives to VW.
VW must reimburse you for the $900 bill mentioned above, if you are interested. :sharebeer
dcb

Post by dcb »

2004 Jetta TDI, 2009 Jetta TDI, 2013 Passat TDI, and now a 2016 Passat SE gasser. No problems with any of them, but do miss the performance and mileage of the TDI's.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

monkey_business wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm For those with first hand experience with newer (2010+) Volkswagens, what has your experience been in regards to reliability? I am considering a new Golf GTI and my only reservation is whether it can serve me well for ~10 years or so.
You are asking a small group of people on a forum. Absolutely insignificant statistically.

What you want to do is go read the Consumer Reports Car Issue (typically in April of every year) from your library. That's based on feedback from thousands of owners. That would be what I call an informed decision.

Hint: VW is typically worse even than the American brands, and expensive to repair. THEY couldn't pay ME enough to own one of their cars. Lying POS.
RIP, Mr. Bogle.
azanon

Post by azanon »

monkey_business wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 pm For those with first hand experience with newer (2010+) Volkswagens, what has your experience been in regards to reliability? I am considering a new Golf GTI and my only reservation is whether it can serve me well for ~10 years or so.
I have a 2012 GTI Autobahn I bought new. Nothing has gone wrong with it - not even something small. The only potential * is that it was assembled in Wolfsburg, Germany, and I believe the current ones (except the R) are assembled in Mexico.
stimulacra

Post by stimulacra »

oldlongbeard wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:10 am
stimulacra wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am I owned a 2012 Passat SE TDI and drove it for 120k miles before selling it back to VW post-dieselgate scandal.

VW must reimburse you for the $900 bill mentioned above, if you are interested. :sharebeer
I sold the TDI over two years ago and am not entirely sure if I kept all of the maintenance and repair paperwork with me but definitely will look into it. Thanks for the tip.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

I had a 2014 Golf TDI. I drove that car HARD on terrible NYC/Long Island roads every day for two years. I got ~50 mpg, and it was bulletproof. I sold it back in the diesel settlement because the payout was too much to ignore, and have missed it ever since.

We now have two other VWs, a 2017 Tiguan and a 2016 Jetta. Haven't had any issues in terms of reliability so far, though the Tiguan engine is a little finicky when it's cold (and, as someone else mentioned, is underpowered). Personally, I love the Jetta though.

I'd note that we didn't buy more VWs because we love the company so much -- rather, the prices/incentives to buy VWs right now (given VW's obvious PR problems, and their efforts to reestablish themselves) made them by far the best carbuying value proposition when I ran the numbers. We got each of our current cars used, both with ~20k miles, for $25k combined.

I'd also note two things for the benefit of anyone concerned about VW's morality, for lack of a better word: (1) as a participant in the diesel settlement, I can say without hesitation that they fully compensated the car owners, and (2) VW was far from the only carmaker using defeat devices (Fiat Chrysler, Mercedes, etc etc). They were just the wrongdoer that got the most press attention.

OP - if you're getting a good deal on the GTI (and I bet you can find some awesome deals on lightly used models, if you're open to not buying new), I'd say go for it.
Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 »

Love my Golf. Completely reliable for 12 years now. I'd buy another in a heartbeat. Perfect urban car for me.
But then again I don't drive much and I don't drive hard. It is carefully maintained and garage kept.
ILnative

Post by ILnative »

2009 CC 4 speed manual transmission. Fun to drive but more problems than I care to even take the time to list (both engine related and things like the door locks not working,etc.) . Dumped it after just 2 years (we bought it used in 2012).
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

Went to the VW dealer in 1979 for a diesel Rabbit. Ordered a base beige one, and was placed 37th on the waiting list for next available. After a month the dealer called with a deluxe model, I said that's not what I ordered and he said if you don't want it that's ok! This is long before I knew how to buy a car. :D This car was made in Germany, the quality versus those from Pennsylvania was clear.
Driving off the lot noticed the fuel gauge was in the red. :o After some panic went to a truck stop on the freeway. :D The guy inside kept watching me at the pump, it clicked off at 9 gallons the previous customer had taken over a 100. :D Back then diesel was less than gasoline and with the 49mpg I would go 4 weeks of driving to work plus a 260 mile trip to visit my parents without needing fuel. It was bizarre, the savings on fuel nearly paid for the car! Father said I'd freeze in the winter, but the heater was so warm it would chase you out! Great fun inexpensive car to drive, enjoyed it very much. After 4 years the muffler broke, but other than that I had no problems with the car and never should have sold it when i did. :oops:

My friend back then drove Fords, now he's totally a German car buyer. Bought his wife a GTI and himself a new 70k Mercedes and likes Audi too.
I'd rather be retired than buy a 70k Mercedes. :beer

Good luck.
dlrkw9mu

Post by dlrkw9mu »

Purchased a new 2011 Jetta TDI in March 2011.
Issues:
Horn became quiet in cold weather (replaced myself, ~$20)
Driver side door speaker went out (~$30)
Battery died, required replacement (~$100)
Sold back to volkswagen as part of TDI scandal in November 2016 (90k miles), after a hit & run incident while car was parked on the street. Car ran great at time of buyback.

Purchased a 2014 Jetta SE in November 2016 (50k miles).
Issues: Battery died in early 2018.
Currently has 70k miles & runs great.

I follow the recommended maintenance schedule to the T. (Oil changes every 10k miles using OEM filter & VW approved oil, filter changes, etc).
I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

baconavocado wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:55 pm So you're OK buying a car from a company that plead guilty to violating the US Clean Air Act and paid more $4B in fines? Why, because you like the "style" of the car?

I'd think about supporting companies that are innovative, build high quality products, and know how to obey the law. It's all about ethics and good management. Good companies are out there, but they're not VW.
+1

Oh, and don't forget now they are being investigated for illegally selling pre-production vehicle to unsuspecting customers. As much as I like cars like the GTI, I'm not going to buy a product from a company which has no qualms about breaking environmental laws and taking advantage of their customers by selling them unroadworthy products which should have been sent to the crusher.

See Jalopnik article: https://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-is-in-h ... 1831012179

There are alternatives to the GTI from companies which are more consumer friendly and more reliable. The Mazda 3 is a worthy contender, or you could consider going more upscale to a Mercedes or BMW if you're after more refinement
Topic Author
monkey_business

ssquared87 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:14 pm

+1

Oh, and don't forget now they are being investigated for illegally selling pre-production vehicle to unsuspecting customers. As much as I like cars like the GTI, I'm not going to buy a product from a company which has no qualms about breaking environmental laws and taking advantage of their customers by selling them unroadworthy products which should have been sent to the crusher.

There are alternatives to the GTI from companies which are more consumer friendly and more reliable. The Mazda 3 is a worthy contender, or you could consider going more upscale to a Mercedes or BMW if you're after more refinement
Mercedes? They also cheated:

http://fortune.com/2018/06/13/germany-m ... -software/

BMW? Also, cheated:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/20/busi ... sions.html

Mazda? ...Yep:

http://www.thedrive.com/news/22739/mazd ... my-testing

Hmm... Well, the Boglehead favorite Toyota surely must be ethical! ...Oops:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/iihs ... 08813.html

Toyota cheats on crash tests... That's even worse than cheating on emissions! Bummer...

I guess I will stick to a homemade bicycle or something. :oops:
RobLyons

Post by RobLyons »

Volkswagen reliability is so-so and repairs are reportedly more expensive than the industry average. For reliability I would stick with
Toyota
Lexus
Honda
"Great parenting sets the foundation for a better world"
multiham

Post by multiham »

2016 VW R - 26,000 miles nothing but regular maintenance. Most fun car I have ever owned (including BMW Z4)
2008 Toyota Highlander - Had to donate to charity at 125,000 miles as they car just died and was going to cost over $7,000 to "Possibly fix". This car was seen by multiple Toyota dealers and 1 independent shop.
2004 Toyota Sienna - Multiple Electric Issues, transmission problems, heated seats stopped working, rear windows wouldn't go down.

All service for all cars was done on time and at dealership. I have had luck with other Toyota's, Hondas and Lexus. Any car company can have a few isolated problems.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

monkey_business wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:00 pm

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

Toyota cheats on crash tests... That's even worse than cheating on emissions! Bummer...

Regulators found the BMW issue to be a mistake, not intentional fraud plus a cover up as in the other scandals you mention. None of the companies you mentioned intentionally sold pre-production cars to the public.

VW has intentionally screwed over their customers time and time again. I'd love to buy a Porsche, but knowing they are owned by VAG gives me pause. One of my friends is an executive at VAG and says the Porsche guys are the toughest to work with because they don't want to have any association with VW or Audi and they prefer to be independent. Perhaps they care more about their customers and putting out a quality product than their parent company prefers.
Topic Author
monkey_business

ssquared87 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:57 pm

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

Regulators found the BMW issue to be a mistake, not intentional fraud plus a cover up as in the other scandals you mention. None of the companies you mentioned intentionally sold pre-production cars to the public.

VW has intentionally screwed over their customers time and time again. I'd love to buy a Porsche, but knowing they are owned by VAG gives me pause. One of my friends is an executive at VAG and says the Porsche guys are the toughest to work with because they don't want to have any association with VW or Audi and they prefer to be independent. Perhaps they care more about their customers and putting out a quality product than their parent company prefers.
Where is the outrage that Toyota deliberately only added proper safety to the driver side of some of its vehicles, knowing the passenger side would not be hit during crash tests? What if someone's loved one was killed due to a small overlap collision because Toyota cares more about saving costs and cheating, than engineering safety symmetrically? I don't recall anyone here jumping into a Toyota/Lexus thread proclaiming how awful it would be to support such a company.

So, please, let's get off the moral high horses in regards to VW, and get back on topic. Thank you.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

monkey_business wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:35 pm

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

Where is the outrage that Toyota deliberately only added proper safety to the driver side of some of its vehicles, knowing the passenger side would not be hit during crash tests? What if someone's loved one was killed due to a small overlap collision because Toyota cares more about saving costs and cheating, than engineering safety symmetrically? I don't recall anyone here jumping into a Toyota/Lexus thread proclaiming how awful it would be to support such a company.

So, please, let's get off the moral high horses in regards to VW, and get back on topic. Thank you.
It is on topic. OP is asking about VW reliability and risks associated with VW ownership. Based on VWs track record, how can OP trust that the vehicle they are buying is designed the way VW claims it to be, and if there is a problem (which there probably will be based on VWs below average long term reliability according to consumer reports), how will VW handle the situation. Given their track record, they don't seem all that customer friendly.

I hate to defend Toyota, but they did follow regulations. They never claimed that they had reinforced the passenger side, and it wasn't part of the safety testing. It was underhanded, misleading and unethical but completely legal. I don't like It one bit, and I actually have brought this up in Toyota threads and suggested that posters consider other cars for this reason. But Toyota seems to be much more consumer friendly overall.

VW made a conscious decision to break the law in multiple countries, had teams engineering devices to cover their tracks, and then lied to the world. Even after Dieselgate, they continued to sell pre-production cars to the public (also illegal) up until the last few months when they got caught with their pants down again.

A company whose corporate culture is based on defrauding people with no regard for their own customers or the environment is not the norm. Sure, other auto makers cut corners here and there, none are perfect, but none seem to be as cavalier about lying to the public and screwing their customers as VW.
Topic Author
monkey_business

ssquared87 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:27 pm

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

It is on topic. OP is asking about VW reliability and risks associated with VW ownership. Based on VWs track record, how can OP trust that the vehicle they are buying is designed the way VW claims it to be, and if there is a problem (which there probably will be based on VWs below average long term reliability according to consumer reports), how will VW handle the situation. Given their track record, they don't seem all that customer friendly.

I hate to defend Toyota, but they did follow regulations. They never claimed that they had reinforced the passenger side, and it wasn't part of the safety testing. It was underhanded, misleading and unethical but completely legal. I don't like It one bit, and I actually have brought this up in Toyota threads and suggested that posters consider other cars for this reason. But Toyota seems to be much more consumer friendly overall.

VW made a conscious decision to break the law in multiple countries, had teams engineering devices to cover their tracks, and then lied to the world. Even after Dieselgate, they continued to sell pre-production cars to the public (also illegal) up until the last few months when they got caught with their pants down again.

A company whose corporate culture is based on defrauding people with no regard for their own customers or the environment is not the norm. Sure, other auto makers cut corners here and there, none are perfect, but none seem to be as cavalier about lying to the public and screwing their customers as VW.
Cool.

Can we now go back to talking about people's first hand experience with the cars?
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

Shame on Toyota. So the 2015 Toyota RAV4 is one cheater, do you know the other Toyota/Lexus models? Note that other automakers also had problems with the passenger-side overlap test but the Toyota RAV4 was the worst.

Was it a fluke? Or were there more models? Toyota should definitely be held accountable, and the Administration and Congress should definitely open an investigation.

This result shows that the IIHS tests are really important since automakers appear to build to whatever their standard is. So the IIHS needs to avoid letting their tests be easily cheated, since automakers appear willing to cheat.

But two wrongs do not make a right. And air pollution kills people, just in a more subtle way. So it’s not always easy to say which one causes more death.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

This. The reality is that the use of defeat devices was (is) widespread. Dieselgate was the equivalent of everyone speeding on the highway, and the police pulling over one car out of the pack. (I say this as a member of that class action.) Singling out VW is misguided (especially given how few good corporate citizens there are among auto manufacturers) and not at all on topic.
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

2011 VW with 2.0T engine, almost 200k miles now. Very very few problems, the major repairs were:

2 x intake manifolds, 1 under warranty
2 x carbon cleaning for intake valves with carbon build up, 1 under warranty

Everything else has been solid and I’ve just done regular maintenance by the book. Contrasting this with my last car and it’s been a dream...

IMO, you can’t compare German cars to Asian (or American) cars, to *me* they feel very cheap by comparison to the solid German build quality. They feel like cars designed by accountants vs car designers, that said, I don’t doubt the mechanical reliability, just the feel and design.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I put 130kmiles on to VW's, a CC and a Passat. Nothing major but it does cost more to maintain them (maybe 1-2k for 100k miles? it's just a guess).
While the maintenance costs more than a Toyota or Honda the difference in quality and pleasure to drive is gigantic and way larger than the cost of ownership. I don't think anybody who drives a German car can return to Japanese cars in the same category. The German cars are realty MUCH better in interior, quality build, handling, and the slightly higher cost seems like very well spend money.

I am still trying to figure out why the German cars are considered everywhere else in the world as very reliable except in US.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 pm Volkswagen is trash. 1st hand and 2nd hand experience. That 2.0T engine is especially trash.
I have 2 of them and a friend with another one.
While the highest mileage on any of these 3 is 80k, so they are kind of young, my friend's car is tuned to ~360HP. No major problems on any of them. Older do engines need to be "decarboned" for ~700$, I hope this is not an issue anymore.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

Jags4186 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:44 pm
monkey_business wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:30 pm
I can give you my laundry list:

In 5 years and 80,000 miles of ownership on a 2012 GLI:
4 high pressure fuel pumps
10 tires that had bubbles in them from hitting what I wouldn’t even consider a “pot hole”—if you’re not familiar with low profile tires definitely buy the tire insurance (fortunately I had that)
Complete engine rebuild—timing chain broke and pistons fell into the engine (car in the shop for 2 weeks)
Cord which is attached to the latch to adjust the seat broke—required a new drivers seat
Serious electrical gremlins—engine fans would not turn off once shutting car off. Car would always be dead in the morning. First time this happened I was told I needed a new battery. Then this new battery was fried by the alternator. Then the alternator needed to be replaced. Car still exhibited these issues.
Car would randomly not start towards the end of ownership
Air conditioner wouldn’t get cold once I got to around 70k miles if the car wasn’t in motion.
Awful squeal when coming off the clutch near the end as well
Of course many of these things could never be duplicated when bringing into the dealership...required multiple visits.
Nearly all of these things were fixed under warranty but I probably had the car in the shop for a month a year. Completely unacceptable.
The only thing this car did for me was when I finally sold it it behaved during the test drive.

A coworker of mine had a Volkswagen CC with the same engine and experienced similar issues—he had a broken timing chain that required an engine replacement. He also began having serious electrical issues around 80,000 miles.
No some issues seems serious (injector issue is known), but really, tires? How is that VW's fault? I have 18" wheels and never ever had any problems. I drive in California, roads are pretty bad, sometimes very bad.
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I find very funny that VW was blamed for pollution in a country where everybody and their dog drives in a V8 empty truck or some huge SUV. I mean the country polluting the most per capita in the world by a huge margin WHILE exporting most of it's pollution to China.
Do you really believe that VW Golfs added in anyway to the pollution? It's just hilarious...
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

Starfish wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 am

I find very funny that VW was blamed for pollution in a country where everybody and their dog drives in a V8 empty truck or some huge SUV. I mean the country polluting the most per capita in the world by a huge margin WHILE exporting most of it's pollution to China.
Do you really believe that VW Golfs added in anyway to the pollution? It's just hilarious...
+1 ... and to the point where the domestic car makers have literally given up on cars and pay lip service to electric cars so they can sell more SUVs. Gee I wonder how they nearly all went bankrupt ten years ago? Hmmm
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

finite_difference wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:09 pm

+1

BMW? Also, cheated:

Mazda? ...Yep:

Shame on Toyota. So the 2015 Toyota RAV4 is one cheater, do you know the other Toyota/Lexus models? Note that other automakers also had problems with the passenger-side overlap test but the Toyota RAV4 was the worst.

Was it a fluke? Or were there more models? Toyota should definitely be held accountable, and the Administration and Congress should definitely open an investigation.

This result shows that the IIHS tests are really important since automakers appear to build to whatever their standard is. So the IIHS needs to avoid letting their tests be easily cheated, since automakers appear willing to cheat.

But two wrongs do not make a right. And air pollution kills people, just in a more subtle way. So it’s not always easy to say which one causes more death.
Yes, Toyota had a few models that did poorly on the passenger side crash, most recently the Sienna scored a marginal rating vs. the Honda Odyssey and the Chrysler Pacifica which were good. The worst offenders for 2018 are the Ford Escape & Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, and Toyota RAV4...they all scored poor. A bunch others including the Subaru Forester and VW Passat scored marginal which is better than poor but still not good.
mrspock wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:58 am
Starfish wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:48 am

+1 ... and to the point where the domestic car makers have literally given up on cars and pay lip service to electric cars so they can sell more SUVs. Gee I wonder how they nearly all went bankrupt ten years ago? Hmmm
Two things pushed the domestic brands to do this.
1. SUVs are higher profit - self explanatory
2. EPA Regulations - Ironically government regulations for efficiency are less restrictive for larger vehicles, so instead of trying to make small vehicles more efficient, manufacturers just make them larger so they're not subject to the more restrictive regulations.
Smoke

Post by Smoke »

I cannot attest to the Reliability of my 2017 VW 4-motion Sportwagon as it's only one year old and I have only put 4k on it.
Yes I know, I don't drive much anymore.
However I do like the car very much compared to all the Chevy's I had throughout the years. Impressive actually.
And the trunk/storage space is really very large. Holds more than the 1996 Caprice trunk I sold when I bought the VW.
Already changed the oil and filter at 6 months, coming due for another, it's so easy with the filter on top of the engine, and using a topsider to suck out the oil thru the dipstick tube. It gets all of the oil out, unlike my chevy which leaves half a qt.
Arguing for the sake of arguing is something I am not going to engage in.