Fax without a telephone line

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
edvest

Fax without a telephone line

Post by edvest » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:41 am

Is it possible to use my multi function wireless fax machine without a telephone line? Is there a device that can plug into the MFM and transmit directly to a recipient's phone number?

Tu

Pixafari

Re: Fax without a telephone line

Post by Pixafari » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am

We don’t have a traditional landline either, but rather VOIP service via Ooma. Our fax machine works fine through Ooma over our internet service.

graeme

Post by graeme » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:10 am

There are online services that let you upload a document and have it be faxed to a specific phone number. Many of these let you send a few each month for free.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:46 am

As someone else mentioned, online services. I have been using FaxZero for years with no issues for shorter faxes.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Pixafari wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:49 am
We don’t have a traditional landline either, but rather VOIP service via Ooma. Our fax machine works fine through Ooma over our internet service.
interesting...will this work w/ a windows PC?

Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:52 pm

OP,

I googled "ooma monthly" cost and got the following:

"While Ooma has no direct monthly fee, there are taxes due every month that amount to about $3.50 per month."

You can go to Amazon and read the reviewers comments for all this info you want.

You may also want to consider a Obihai (called Obi) 202-2 port device. After you pay for device and number porting (if applicable) there is no tax; however, it does not have 911 feature and if you add it, there is a small fee.

Amazon lists it as:

OBi202 2-Port VoIP Phone Adapter with Google Voice and Fax Support for Home and SOHO Phone Service

Cost is around $50 and if you want you want to port a number you can do this for a $20 cost using google voice. If you don't port a number, I believe google voice will assign you one. Not sure of cost. Here are the instructions for porting a number:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial

I just finished setting up my device and love it. Plus I love that it is totally free now (at least as long as Google Voice is free).

For both the Ooma and OBI devices you will find lots of important info on UTube.

Good luck!

Vulcan

Post by Vulcan » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:25 pm

You can get a phone number from callcentric for $1/mo and receive unlimited faxes that will be e-mailed to you as PDFs.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:01 pm

If you are going to regularly fax documents, then, by all means, look at all these alternatives in order to do that.

However, if this is just a one shot deal, you might want to consider just taking the document to UPS and using their fax service.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:02 pm

Beatle Boots wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:52 pm
OP,

I googled "ooma monthly" cost and got the following:

"While Ooma has no direct monthly fee, there are taxes due every month that amount to about $3.50 per month."

You can go to Amazon and read the reviewers comments for all this info you want.

You may also want to consider a Obihai (called Obi) 202-2 port device. After you pay for device and number porting (if applicable) there is no tax; however, it does not have 911 feature and if you add it, there is a small fee.

Amazon lists it as:

OBi202 2-Port VoIP Phone Adapter with Google Voice and Fax Support for Home and SOHO Phone Service

Cost is around $50 and if you want you want to port a number you can do this for a $20 cost using google voice. If you don't port a number, I believe google voice will assign you one. Not sure of cost. Here are the instructions for porting a number:

https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial

I just finished setting up my device and love it. Plus I love that it is totally free now (at least as long as Google Voice is free).

For both the Ooma and OBI devices you will find lots of important info on UTube.

Good luck!
+1
I use the Obihai 200 device along with a Google voice phone number and the Windows 10 program Fax and Scan to fax documents over the internet. Works great

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 pm

These days you can scan and email a PDF for just about any purpose you would have needed to Fax in the olden days.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:44 pm
These days you can scan and email a PDF for just about any purpose you would have needed to Fax in the olden days.
Yes but there are companies and institutions that insist on FAX, perhaps believing that they are "secure."

Or maybe just because the nineties were a happy time.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 pm

adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 pm
aristotelian wrote:
Yes but there are companies and institutions that insist on FAX, perhaps believing that they are "secure."

yes. There are business that require fax submissions. One large national homebuilder based in Texas with the initials DRH required trades to fax in lien releases. Well we might have 50 at a crack. So I would spread them out on the Fax zero site. Staying under the pay wall. As a sign of my displeasure I always made sure I included a blank cover page. Every once in a while I had to use a Postal Connection to fax them at $1/page

I always wondered how that worked on their end. Was there really a fax machine? Did some intern have to collect all the fax's from thousands of small trade contractors all across the country and match them to the payments? Seemed an odd way of doing business. I just enjoyed my mind's eye image of an intern sorting through the 50 faxes from me and throwing away a blank cover page :sharebeer
Last edited by Scrapr on Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

jbuzolich

Post by jbuzolich » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:01 pm

It is hard to believe but yes I'll echo the groups that are stuck forever on physical fax sending and receiving. I'm in local government so of course we're years slow in many things, but I can't believe many of the medical offices we interact with require fax. Not even a discussion whether to consider encrypted email or Direct messaging within a health record platform.

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 am

I used myfax.com for many years.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm

I use an OBI-202 with Callcentric for the rare occasions I need fax. It's VOIP with support for T.38 fax friendly protocol. But to be honest, fax over VOIP is not very reliable even slowed down to the lowest transmission/reception speed. Fax just does not like VOIP if there is too much jitter, lag, or packet loss with the internet connection.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Beatle Boots

Post by Beatle Boots » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Try googling the following keywords"

best free fax service

You will find many articles (some unbiased and some probably biased) that will help you identify free paths forward!

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:06 pm

smackboy1 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:34 pm
I use an OBI-202 with Callcentric for the rare occasions I need fax. It's VOIP with support for T.38 fax friendly protocol. But to be honest, fax over VOIP is not very reliable even slowed down to the lowest transmission/reception speed. Fax just does not like VOIP if there is too much jitter, lag, or packet loss with the internet connection.
Callcentric's free DIDs end on 2/28/19. They will cost $1 per month per DID. I have 3, and I'm not paying $36 a year, so I'm looking for other options.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:13 pm

It's truly amazing to me how many businesses still use fax and refuse to receive scan and email documents. We are nearly to the year 2020. We are less than a decade away from autonomous vehicles becoming commonplace.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:13 pm
It's truly amazing to me how many businesses still use fax and refuse to receive scan and email documents. We are nearly to the year 2020. We are less than a decade away from autonomous vehicles becoming commonplace.
There are two reasons for faxing that I think are valid, although have issues.

1) Confidentiality - I don't want to scan or photograph a form with SSN on it for example, then attach it to an email, and email it to someone who may open it or store it in a non-secure setting. Of course, even if I fax it, it's possible that their "fax" is actually an online program that then views and stores the fax in a non-secure environment.

2) Compliance with regulations - both HIPAA and PCI (credit card) compliance. For example, if you fax an order to a company with your credit card number on it, PCI compliance requires it be received in a secure environment, by properly trained personnel, and stored in a secure environment.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Maybe faxes are making a comeback...like vinyl. :twisted:

Post by 2015 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:57 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
+1
The best place for a fax machine is in some kind of antiques museum. Before I give anyone my business where extensive documentation is involved I inform them that I do not have the capability to send or receive faxes. Depending on their answer, I'll give them my business. No one has ever insisted on communicating via fax.

OnTrack

Post by OnTrack » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:29 am

RickBoglehead wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:38 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
There are two reasons for faxing that I think are valid, although have issues.

1) Confidentiality - I don't want to scan or photograph a form with SSN on it for example, then attach it to an email, and email it to someone who may open it or store it in a non-secure setting. Of course, even if I fax it, it's possible that their "fax" is actually an online program that then views and stores the fax in a non-secure environment.

2) Compliance with regulations - both HIPAA and PCI (credit card) compliance. For example, if you fax an order to a company with your credit card number on it, PCI compliance requires it be received in a secure environment, by properly trained personnel, and stored in a secure environment.
Furthermore, the email itself may not be secure in transit. I would avoid putting SSNs, account numbers, etc in email unless I was highly confident that there was strong end to end encryption.

Topic Author
edvest

Post by edvest » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:21 am

Thinking about it, I average about two pages every two years.
The UPS/other fax locations does make the most sense.

Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:07 am

Scrapr wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:32 pm
adamthesmythe wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:21 pm
aristotelian wrote:

yes. There are business that require fax submissions. One large national homebuilder based in Texas with the initials DRH required trades to fax in lien releases. Well we might have 50 at a crack. So I would spread them out on the Fax zero site. Staying under the pay wall. As a sign of my displeasure I always made sure I included a blank cover page. Every once in a while I had to use a Postal Connection to fax them at $1/page
so who can access and read documents uploaded to Faxzero? Seems like its willingly and intentionally uploading documents w/ client data to a 3rd party server. (?)

I have used it for personal non-financial items (no personal data) but from a business perspective would never use it and compromise client data and risk being sued as a result.

At that one has to trust that Faxzero isn't hacked leaking the documents one uploads there to illicit hands.

Even if they say they get 'deleted' after some point in time that really isn't true. Deleting typically just removes the pointer, not the actual data, its still on the drive.