Worx 20v battery leaf blower

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
BashDash

Worx 20v battery leaf blower

Post by BashDash » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi all BH!
I am looking to buy this for some light leaf work on patio and grass clippings after mowing. I have been happy with my worx weed wacker but just like running this by the very trusted bogleheads :). I understand I need to buy new batteries over the course of time. Pretty good deal with a 20% off to get it for 80$. Thanks!

daheld

Re: Worx 20v battery leaf blower

Post by daheld » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm

BashDash wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:38 pm
Hi all BH!
I am looking to buy this for some light leaf work on patio and grass clippings after mowing. I have been happy with my worx weed wacker but just like running this by the very trusted bogleheads :). I understand I need to buy new batteries over the course of time. Pretty good deal with a 20% off to get it for 80$. Thanks!
I have a Worx 20V weed eater and Worx 20v leaf blower. They're junk and I cannot wait for them to die so I can justify buying something better.

I mean they both do what they're labeled as doing--cut down grass and blow stuff--but neither of them do it particularly well, the battery life isn't great, and they're both really under-powered. They're fine if you just want the leaf blower for blowing a few (and I mean A FEW) grass clippings here and there. Anything more than blowing grass off a patio and I would say to get something with more power.

gtaylor

Post by gtaylor » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:51 pm

I have a few worx 20V things. It is convenient to have several and therefore the several batteries from them all.

The leaf blower is indeed not very good, I mostly use it to sweep the garage and driveway (for which it is actually perfect). The standard battery lasts about five minutes on high. Low can't blow anything much, you have to use high. And high can't really blow leaves out of grass. It's not worth buying the double-size battery they sell, twice the runtime doing nothing is still nothing.

The weed eater is OK, it sounds like that matches your experience.

The hedge trimmer is also fine. It is not appreciably weak or anything on the hedges I have to trim, it lasts long enough to do them all. Some thick rhododendron branches give it pause, but we're talking branches that don't really fit in between the teeth so that's to be expected.

I may buy their toy chainsaw on a stick when my old battery chainsaw dies. It would be a step up for me, since it has an oiler.

All of the things are too plasticy IMHO. None of it has broken, but there's not a lot of metal and there is a lot of flimsy feel to all the ones I have.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:01 pm

Thanks for the replies! I'm just looking to blow grass clippings off of the road and patio when I am done mowing. Would these be sufficient for that? Not looking to blow leaves...

RDB

Post by RDB » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:40 pm

Had a 20v and it was pretty brutal, no power, limited battery life. This fall I bought the corded Worx and it is great, not even comparable to the battery version. My neighbor has all the nicest gas stuff which is great, but I do not take care of that type of stuff well enough to not screw up the engine.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:42 pm

I kept meaning to check to see what brand ours was but kept forgetting. It is indeed a Worx. It is lightweight and easy to use for light jobs--grass clippings and leaf cover if small and dry. Most jobs for us require at least two batteries.

We used it (with an extension) this afternoon to blow accumulated leaves off the gutter guards of our one-story 2500 sq ft house. It was not up to the task of blowing the wet deeper piles of some areas off, so we had to scrape those off with a rake prior to blowing what was left. We used two batteries but still had enough battery left to blow the leaves off our French drain grates, a small patio, and a large porch.

We like it for small jobs, which is about all we want to do with a leaf blower. If you want to blow a 2 acre yard ankle-deep in fallen leaves into piles so you can burn them like our neighbor, you need a blower with a George Jetson backpack like he has :annoyed

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:53 pm

I have a $30 corded black and decker blower that blows about 10x better than the cordless model I have that cost 4x more money.

Some cordless tools are great. But I've yet to see a blower that will get the job done like a simple cheap corded model. I think AC power motors are just a whole lot more efficient for that kind of thing compared to DC powered battery driven ones.

If you don't mind dragging the cords around, the corded models are still the way to go I think. But I haven't tried any of the new high-end battery models like the Egos from Home Depot.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm

i have a Milwaukee m18 leaf blower, to go along with all of my other battery powered tools. so i have a lot of batteries to use.

i have a tendency to pick it up for light use, over my 2cycle one, unless i need to do a lot of blowing, then the backpack blower wins every time.

jadedfalcons

Post by jadedfalcons » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:40 pm

Just get a Stihl BR800 and be done with it.

Or a Stihl BGA56. $199.99, sure, it's more than a Worx, but more powerful and a 20 minute run time (and your dealer will probably let you upgrade the AK20 battery to an AK30 battery,) and better built.

Pigeye Brewster

Post by Pigeye Brewster » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:53 pm

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm
i have a Milwaukee m18 leaf blower, to go along with all of my other battery powered tools. so i have a lot of batteries to use.

i have a tendency to pick it up for light use, over my 2cycle one, unless i need to do a lot of blowing, then the backpack blower wins every time.
I've been very pleased with my Milwaukee M18, :beer

daytona084

Post by daytona084 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 pm

The EGO 56V (530 CFM) blower is awesome! Very happy with it.

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:21 am

Presently using Green Works 80V garden tools. The hand held blower has sufficient run time and power for the average home owner and the battery recharges quickly.

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:29 am

daytona084 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:02 pm
The EGO 56V (530 CFM) blower is awesome! Very happy with it.
Ditto...very happy with my Ego 56V Blower and Mower.