[Anyone drop cable for YouTube TV?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jags4186

Re: [Anyone drop cable for YouTube TV?]

Post by Jags4186 »

We pay $50/mo for internet from Verizon Flos. I own my own modem. It will go up to $65 after a year, which is when I’ll either threaten to quit to keep the price, downgrade speed, or move to Altice. The issue of switching isn’t that big of a deal, but they wised up and now they all charge $100 for installation. I have $600 of Verizon Flos credit from taking advantage of AMEX offers...so 12 months free internet isn’t bad. We also pay $41 for the cheapest DirecTV Now package.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

I would love to switch, but I have two main concerns:

1) I have found streaming sports to vary on quality. I understand there are alot of parts here that could be the cause - my tv, my internet speed, the provider.

2) I want to get MSG and as far as I know it is not available with YTTV or on it's own.

I am currently with Optimum and pay $100 for basic cable+100mgb internet+phone. I don't care about the phone. Plus I pay $20 for Sling. Going to YTTV will cost $40+internet. Optimum told me it would be around $70 fpr 100mgb speed. So total savings from my current setup is only $10. I also currently don't have a DVR, so that would be a plus too (use the free on demand a but now).

Having said that, I just signed up for the free 2 week trial.
Mark
jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 »

markcoop wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:22 pm I would love to switch, but I have two main concerns:

1) I have found streaming sports to vary on quality. I understand there are alot of parts here that could be the cause - my tv, my internet speed, the provider.

2) I want to get MSG and as far as I know it is not available with YTTV or on it's own.

I am currently with Optimum and pay $100 for basic cable+100mgb internet+phone. I don't care about the phone. Plus I pay $20 for Sling. Going to YTTV will cost $40+internet. Optimum told me it would be around $70 fpr 100mgb speed. So total savings from my current setup is only $10. I also currently don't have a DVR, so that would be a plus too (use the free on demand a but now).

Having said that, I just signed up for the free 2 week trial.
100/100 speed is overkill. I have 50/50 with three TV's in the house using Hulu's sports package plus periodic use of five laptops/ipads at the same time and rarely have buffering. You are being upsold on the speed.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

So I'm sitting at home with my 4K TV looking at NBA TV on YTTV. In the studio where the hosts are just chatting, everything looks sharp. When they showed some bball clips, it wasn't horrible but I think I notice a difference to cable. It's just not as smooth. I'm open to upgrading something (faster internet, better wireless router) if it would help.
Mark
HMdocinPA

Post by HMdocinPA »

I pay for YouTubeTV through an iTunes subscription using discounted gift cards for the iTunes Store that I buy from amazon or Sams club, this past week I got 2x $100 gift cards for $80 each, nice savings there.
ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 »

Does anyone know a site where I can input the stations I need and it spits out the best providers (YTTV, Sling, etc) to go with?
TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 »

markcoop wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:11 pm So I'm sitting at home with my 4K TV looking at NBA TV on YTTV. In the studio where the hosts are just chatting, everything looks sharp. When they showed some bball clips, it wasn't horrible but I think I notice a difference to cable. It's just not as smooth. I'm open to upgrading something (faster internet, better wireless router) if it would help.
Do a bandwidth test http://www.speedtest.net/

See what your speeds are and how they compare to what you are paying for. It should be close. If it’s not, then I would first suggest a new modem, and then possibly a better WiFi system. I upgraded to a nice modem and the google WiFi system, it’s took my internet speeds from around 25mbps to over 100 immediately. The other thing that could be wrong is whatever you’re using to stream the video. Just because you have a smart TV doesn’t mean that it has a good processor for running the streaming apps well. The Roku 4K stick is pretty cheap and works perfectly.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

sksbog wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 pm Bought a $35 antenna. Now I get 60 channels ( nbc,CBS,fox, etc) for free. +
$15 Netflix.

All set😁
How much for Internet + bandwidth up/down?
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
Socrates

Not worth saving $75 a month

Post by Socrates »

I make $200,000 a year and I like access to sports channels like DirectTV Sunday Ticket, DVR shows, multiple receivers and the ability to FF through stuff.

I get Netflix for free through family and Prime through my Amazon Prime.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

ddurrett896 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:10 pm Does anyone know a site where I can input the stations I need and it spits out the best providers (YTTV, Sling, etc) to go with?
https://www.suppose.tv is probably the best one.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

TylerS7 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 pm
markcoop wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:11 pm So I'm sitting at home with my 4K TV looking at NBA TV on YTTV. In the studio where the hosts are just chatting, everything looks sharp. When they showed some bball clips, it wasn't horrible but I think I notice a difference to cable. It's just not as smooth. I'm open to upgrading something (faster internet, better wireless router) if it would help.

See what your speeds are and how they compare to what you are paying for. It should be close. If it’s not, then I would first suggest a new modem, and then possibly a better WiFi system. I upgraded to a nice modem and the google WiFi system, it’s took my internet speeds from around 25mbps to over 100 immediately. The other thing that could be wrong is whatever you’re using to stream the video. Just because you have a smart TV doesn’t mean that it has a good processor for running the streaming apps well. The Roku 4K stick is pretty cheap and works perfectly.
I got a download speed of 116.00 and upload speed of 37.12. Is that good? I assume I care more about the download speed.
Mark
donaldfair71

Post by donaldfair71 »

ponyboy wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:17 pm No history channel, discovery or food network. Count me out.
One common thing in the cord-cutting community is to use YTTV and Philo, another streaming app that does have those channels (along with unlimited cloud DVR). It is another $16/month. But for many people, me included, that total of $56 + $60 for internet is still about 40% less than the comparable cable package.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Wish Philo would integrate with Chromecast
Don't do something, just stand there!
Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf »

I agree with others--YTTV is a great service. I do find that just flipping through a guide to see what's on is not as easy, but they do tend to show you the shows you might be most interested in that are on live which is cool.

I love that I can just plug my favorite sports team in once and it will record every game they play from now to eternity.

My TV was too old to integrate with YTTV directly, but I got a Cyber Monday deal on a Roku streaming stick for $30.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

TylerS7 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm
I've had this service for the last 9 months and this is not the case, I don't remember it ever being an issue for me actually. I think if you search for shows and watch them on demand some channels will force you to watch commercials but I don't remember ever being forced to view commercials with stuff I actually recorded on the DVR. Maybe there are some channels that had this policy that I didn't use so I never experienced it.
Google will replace shows that you tape with on demand ones for certain channels/programs. It is a well known issue. Here is an article about it https://stopthecap.com/2018/05/01/some- ... e-fed-ads/ . They backed off a bit this fall but it is still am issue for many people. Count yourself lucky that you are not one of them
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

markcoop wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:24 am

I got a download speed of 116.00 and upload speed of 37.12. Is that good? I assume I care more about the download speed.
If that’s the download speed you’re getting while you’re watching TV, your problem isn’t download speed. That speed, makes me think it’s the device you’re using. What are you using? Smart TV? Roku? FireTV? Apple TV?
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
RightGuard

Post by RightGuard »

Haven't had cable... well ever.

I'm one of those weirdos that still likes to listen to the radio. Even for 'visual' sports like basketball and football. Theater of the mind and all that.

For other things the quality of the content being put out on YouTube blows all broadcast media out of the water. For the odd show that gets rave reviews there is Netflix or Prime.

All my media cost comes in under the most basic of cable packages as well.
markcoop

Post by markcoop »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:58 pm

If that’s the download speed you’re getting while you’re watching TV, your problem isn’t download speed. That speed, makes me think it’s the device you’re using. What are you using? Smart TV? Roku? FireTV? Apple TV?
I have a Samsung smart TV
Mark
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Just discovered you cannot cast the DVR recordings on DTVN. That's a deal breaker.
Don't do something, just stand there!
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

dmk395 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:34 am Anyone like this and stop using cable? Really tempting at $40 per month
Yeah, we did. It’s really nice to have the cloud DVR. Having access to sports was really nice. The surprise was seeing how many movies were available as part of the cloud DVR service on demand. Really nice interface. Could make the fast forward on commercials a little easier, but I can understand the business challenges of doing so.
samsmith

Post by samsmith »

I have YTTV (and cable) and I have the exact same issue. Hosts chatting in studio look great and sharp, but fast moving sports look fuzzy. This is almost certainly not a modem issue, not a download speed issue (OP has 116; I have ~150), it is not a device your using issue. Rather it is a YTTV issue related to Frames Per Second (FPS). Basically the number of pictures per second. As you can imagine, when there is no fast motion (studio hosts) the number of FPS does not matter. But fast motions, think pass play in football, your eye can pick up the lack of detail with a lower frame rate. So this is an issue for sports watching more so than other TV shows. Apparently, at this time, YTTV offers some sports channels at 60 FPS, but still has a lot at only 30 FPS. And this is one of the reasons that I have not totally ditched cable.

Google "youtube tv frames per second" for better information than I can provide and some Reddit forums on this issue.
MiddleOfTheRoad

Post by MiddleOfTheRoad »

samsmith wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:59 am

I have YTTV (and cable) and I have the exact same issue. Hosts chatting in studio look great and sharp, but fast moving sports look fuzzy. This is almost certainly not a modem issue, not a download speed issue (OP has 116; I have ~150), it is not a device your using issue. Rather it is a YTTV issue related to Frames Per Second (FPS). Basically the number of pictures per second. As you can imagine, when there is no fast motion (studio hosts) the number of FPS does not matter. But fast motions, think pass play in football, your eye can pick up the lack of detail with a lower frame rate. So this is an issue for sports watching more so than other TV shows. Apparently, at this time, YTTV offers some sports channels at 60 FPS, but still has a lot at only 30 FPS. And this is one of the reasons that I have not totally ditched cable.

Google "youtube tv frames per second" for better information than I can provide and some Reddit forums on this issue.
It may not be FPS. Play with the settings on your TV. Try “sport mode”. Sometimes “movie mode” works well. It is likely when you had a cable box it was handling this aspect.

As far as YTTV, it is great. It is even more awesome if you can share it with another household in the family.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I dropped cable TV when they raised my price again in August, so I switched to YTTV for $40/month flat (no other fees). Having access to Amazon Prime, Hulu and Netflix, I would never go back to Optimum who kept offering me $99/month for one year ($30 less than my last bill). My cable plus YTTV is $105/month for 100 mbps.
The beauty of YTTV for sports fans is that I used my smartphone, plus Snap VPN and Fake GPS apps to change my zip code for watching any NFL games. Can't beat that for $40/month.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

How exactly do you operate one of these services via Roku? I have a "dumb" TV and I haven't used any of those streaming devices, let alone with YTTV or Hulu. I can see how it works with computer or pad.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Ive never understood how one could "cut cable" or "cut cord" without losing fast broadband.

Maybe it's where I live. It's either Spectrum cable or Qwest DSL.

Streaming def runs better on cable.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:41 am Ive never understood how one could "cut cable" or "cut cord" without losing fast broadband.

Just because you don't have cable TV service doesn't mean that they won't provide internet by itself. I think most do, but they might charge more.
wander

Post by wander »

We dropped cable for OTA TV. Completely free.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

Similar direction, but use Sling, w an antenna for local.

Perversely, I kept my cable box w basic 13 channel, non-hd, cable. It was cheaper to have that bundled w internet than to have internet alone. Go figure :annoyed
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

wander wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 pm We dropped cable for OTA TV. Completely free.
What do you use for a DVR? How many simultaneous recordings can it do?
wander

Post by wander »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:59 pm
wander wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:46 pm We dropped cable for OTA TV. Completely free.
What do you use for a DVR? How many simultaneous recordings can it do?
This
arf30

Post by arf30 »

Do any of these streaming TV services allow you to watch in 2 places at once? My retired parents are paying $400/mo for the triple play between their main house and beach condo (which they visit a few times per month) - would be nice to set them up with something like this, except these services all seem to be locked to a "home area".
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 11:35 am
montanagirl wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:41 am Ive never understood how one could "cut cable" or "cut cord" without losing fast broadband.

Just because you don't have cable TV service doesn't mean that they won't provide internet by itself. I think most do, but they might charge more.
Yes but you're still using their cable. The unbundled charge goes way up.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

montanagirl wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Your question was about losing the internet service, not paying more. I mentioned that it might go up. You have to factor in all parts of the equation.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm
montanagirl wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:47 pm

Your question was about losing the internet service, not paying more. I mentioned that it might go up. You have to factor in all parts of the equation.
As a consumer, I view that as predatory pricing. r Rather than being perceived as “added value,” it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I will pay for a separate service to exercise my right of free choice for a better product/service.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

FoolStreet wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:05 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:56 pm Your question was about losing the internet service, not paying more. I mentioned that it might go up. You have to factor in all parts of the equation.
As a consumer, I view that as predatory pricing. r Rather than being perceived as “added value,” it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I will pay for a separate service to exercise my right of free choice for a better product/service.
I haven't even verified with Charter that my internet costs would change. Maybe, maybe not. You should probably find out for your particular situation before doing anything. Sometimes services are explicitly bundled, and then you know. In my case, I had TV then added the internet later.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Regarding YTTV vs other options (hulu live, sling and others), remember, this is not a major decision. You can literally switch once/month until you find which best meets your needs. Just need to time it right, and have multiple devices that support all these options. Fir instance, I have fire stick on one tv, xbox (from kids) on another. Both can support hulu live, sling and probably some others. If I like a service that did not run on xbox, another smart stick or roku stick is $40 or so, more if you want a higher end device, maybe $100 or so.

I highly recommend having different devices in different rooms, to keep options open, but for the tech challenged, mayne consistency would be better.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:53 am How exactly do you operate one of these services via Roku? I have a "dumb" TV and I haven't used any of those streaming devices, let alone with YTTV or Hulu. I can see how it works with computer or pad.
The Roku has wifi and a HDMI port. You plug it into the wall for power, then use an HDMI cable to plug into the back of the TV, just like if you're connecting up a DVD player or something. You control the Roku with the remote it comes with.

Then the Roku has "channels". Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YTTV, etc. Some channels are free. Most of the good ones, you have to have a subscription with the provider.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:02 pm The Roku has wifi and a HDMI port. You plug it into the wall for power, then use an HDMI cable to plug into the back of the TV, just like if you're connecting up a DVD player or something. You control the Roku with the remote it comes with.

Then the Roku has "channels". Netflix, Prime, Hulu, YTTV, etc. Some channels are free. Most of the good ones, you have to have a subscription with the provider.
So the Roku is aware of YTTV, and you can find it from its interface? It's one of the "channels" then. It looks like one compatible with older TVs are available from Walmart for $35. Might be worth looking into if I get serious (and I haven't bought a new TV).
onourway

Post by onourway »

Picture quality is nearly always better for us with YTTV than it ever was with Spectrum cable. Nearly all channels are 60fps now and even rapid action is very smooth. If yours isn’t I’d suspect a problem somewhere in your equipment chain - check the stats for nerds option while streaming to see what you are getting in real-time. Make sure your streaming device is compatible at 60fps with your tv, and so on.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I got the Roku for geezer TVs and set all that up. Works reasonably well with YTTV. The interface is a bit more clunky than working it on the computer, but not terribly so.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Hi all, I think I'm ready to drop Comcast for YouTube tv, any new news that I should be aware of. Heard lots of positives so far.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.
CalcHP12c

Post by CalcHP12c »

YouTube TV is now $50. Big price increase, but we still enjoy it compared to cable.
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

We just switched to YouTube TV from AT&T TVNow due to another price increase with no improvement in DVR performance. So far, we are quite pleased with YTTV - especially DVR performance. As a plus, two days ago YTTV announced the ability to FF through commercials on CBS shows recorded with the DVR. YTTV, to me, provides the closest DVR performance to my gold standard TIVO.
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm I currently use PlayStation Vue but would like to switch to YouTube TV. Does it support the Amazon Fire TV?
I also had Playstation Vue on a second generation Amazon Fire Box and switched to YouTube TV. The 2nd generation Amazon Fire Box supports YouTube TV. The first generation box does not support it. It will also be be compatible with the newer Amazon Cubes which replaced the Fire Boxes. As someone already posted, I don't believe it is compatible with the Amazon Fire sticks.

The audible commands using Alexa off the remote, however do not seem to work for changing channels or using fast forward or rewind on recorded content on my Fire Box remote. The audible commands to switch channels on Play Station Vue via Alexa on the Fire Box only worked sporadically for me as they would work one day and not the next.
Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer »

Copper John wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:49 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm I currently use PlayStation Vue but would like to switch to YouTube TV. Does it support the Amazon Fire TV?
I also had Playstation Vue on a second generation Amazon Fire Box and switched to YouTube TV. The 2nd generation Amazon Fire Box supports YouTube TV. The first generation box does not support it. It will also be be compatible with the newer Amazon Cubes which replaced the Fire Boxes. As someone already posted, I don't believe it is compatible with the Amazon Fire sticks.

The audible commands using Alexa off the remote, however do not seem to work for changing channels or using fast forward or rewind on recorded content on my Fire Box remote. The audible commands to switch channels on Play Station Vue via Alexa on the Fire Box only worked sporadically for me as they would work one day and not the next.
Funny seeing this a year later. I actually did make the switch a month ago because Playstation Vue is being discontinued I have the new Fire Stick 4k and it works great.
Dinosaur Dad

Post by Dinosaur Dad »

Have had PSVue but it's going out of business in January. I've heard that YouTube TV is the best alternative. Loved PSVue, worked well.
"Take calculated risks - that is quite different from being rash." | General George S. Patton
Copper John

Post by Copper John »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm

Funny seeing this a year later. I actually did make the switch a month ago because Playstation Vue is being discontinued I have the new Fire Stick 4k and it works great.
That is funny - I just noticed the December 12th date on your original post and missed that it was posted in 2018 and not 2019. Well it does clarify that the Youtube probably works on the new Fire Sticks and not the older ones.
Triple digit golfer

Dinosaur Dad wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:59 pm Have had PSVue but it's going out of business in January. I've heard that YouTube TV is the best alternative. Loved PSVue, worked well.
Same boat. YouTube TV is wonderful. Happier than with PS Vue. It is a better guide, just a cleaner interface in my opinion. Give it a shot.
Triple digit golfer

Copper John wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:13 pm
Triple digit golfer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:54 pm

That is funny - I just noticed the December 12th date on your original post and missed that it was posted in 2018 and not 2019. Well it does clarify that the Youtube probably works on the new Fire Sticks and not the older ones.
Oddly enough it works with our oldest Fire stick from like 3 years ago. We have that one for our upstairs TV. I know they say it won't work, but it does for us.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Looking like I'm going to try Youtube TV and Frontier for cable...bye bye comcast
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.