[Anyone drop cable for YouTube TV?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dmk395

[Anyone drop cable for YouTube TV?]

Post by dmk395 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:34 am

Anyone like this and stop using cable? Really tempting at $40 per month

donaldfair71

Re: YOUTUBE TV

Post by donaldfair71 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:35 am

Yep. Love it. Won't be going back to cable in the foreseeable future.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 am

Yes. Been on YouTube TV for about 6 months, and cut the cable. Saving almost $100 per month, because my local cable company required set boxes for each TV set.

YouTube TV gets all the local channels (at least in my area), and all of the cable news and sports channels that I care about. It also has unlimited space for recording.

About the only thing that we're missing with YouTube TV is A&E. And I don't care about that.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 am

I'm considering it, but if you have a spouse/SO consider their viewing habits.

If you're a channel surfer (like me) then having a cable box is very convenient. If you cut the cord, then you usually watch a show/movie, as opposed to surfing to find something.

Also consider if you have data caps on your internet. Very few can actually cut the cord totally.

check out the /r/cordcutters subreddit.

rterickson

Re: [Anyone drop cable for YouTube TV?]

Post by rterickson » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:01 pm

I quit DirecTV for YouTube TV this summer and save $60 per month.

The only thing I miss at all is the History Channel. YTTV comes with Smithsonian, which is actually better.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:10 pm

Yup. Far better than the cable box ever was. Simple UI. Watch on any device from anywhere. Every user can have their own profile with favorites, recommendations, etc. Makes cable tv look positively antiquated.

No problem ‘surfing’ FWIW. Still has the standard channel guide, although we find we hardly ever need to use it. Google generally knows what we are looking for and offers it to us directly. :o

Edward Joseph

Post by Edward Joseph » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:49 pm

Literally signed up two weeks ago and love it so far. Cancelled my cable and turned in all my hardware last week. It unfortunately not available in every market though so be aware. I'm still learning and navigating the DVR services on it. I'm streaming it on a couple Roku streaming stick+ devices.

It's nice not having cables and DVR boxes everywhere, plus $40 per month is the perfect price-point for the small amount of time I spend watching tv.

bh7785

Post by bh7785 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:20 am

Yes, it is excellent. Far better than standard settop boxes. I've tried all the other paid streaming services and found YouTube TV to be the best by a fair margin. Pretty sure you can still get a free trial before signing up, plus you can cancel at any time. No contracts.

Doug E. Dee

Post by Doug E. Dee » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:30 am

I'm wondering if your rate for internet only goes way up compared to a package price?

So $40 for YT TV plus $xx for internet.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:37 am

We dropped Comcast and for YTV we saved about $90+/month. We also share our YTV with 5 other family members so they save money too. DW does missed a channel or two, but she's fine since the saving is so much better.

staustin

Post by staustin » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:39 am

We chose psvue watched on roku. it's been great.

neoptolemus412

Post by neoptolemus412 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am

I've tested most of the options out there with trials. First, one needs a solid internet connection/wifi. 100 mbps is more than sufficient to stream multiple devices and should run a family $30-$50/month depending upon the provider. As internet is an essential part of most people's lives, the cable companies have smartened up and are becoming much more strict about 2 year contracts to lock in the best rates. However, negotiation should keep you around that $50/month range.

Second, one needs a Smart TV or, if that's not an option, an Amazon Firestick is viable as well. I prefer the Firestick due to Amazon Prime. One does not need Amazon Prime, but for $120 you get tons of video options, 2 day shipping, music, deals, etc. It's an ok deal, but one that makes a lot sense for people that shop online. Chromecast is nice, but Google does not offer anywhere near the value along with the purchase/use of their device. SlingTV or DirectTV offer options as well, but, again, they cannot offer the same value. Here's my rundown of the best options.

Hulu TV is my favorite. $40/month for 50 channels. DVR/On Demand come with it. NBC & ABC/FOX technically own it, so the on demand library is vast.
Youtube TV is good. $40/month (was $35 earlier this year) for most of the cable channels one would watch regularly. $40 month for 48 channels. DVR/On Demand come with it. Library is good, but not great.
Direct TV, Sling, and Playstation Vue also offer alternatives, but each essentially requires a topbox device vs. a smart TV for full optionality.
Amazon does not have a cable offering. Amazon only offers apps that can be utilized with a cable tv subscription.

Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:37 pm

neoptolemus412 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:40 am

Direct TV, Sling, and Playstation Vue also offer alternatives, but each essentially requires a topbox device vs. a smart TV for full optionality.
Just a minor note, but Sling does not require a box or anything, it's a SmartTV/Roku app. For $25/month you get ~32 channels. You can also add additional packages like Sports (to get prettymuch every local sports channel nationwide e.g. Fox Sports South, SEC network, etc.) for an additional $5 month.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Could someone give me the quick-sketch on replacing cable?

Right now, I have of course local channels, plus a number of cable channels. I set up series recordings for things I'm interested in, and those show up when new episodes are shown. There's a guide that I use to look for shows that I hear about, including searching. I watch everything off the DVR, and fast-forward over commercials. Occasionally I use the On-Demand if I miss something due to conflict, programming delay, or outage.

What service or combination would replace that? I'm not really interested in expanding my program list much, so originals on various services aren't really what I'm looking at right now.

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 pm

Anyone had any experience using the WatchESPN app with your Youtube TV subscription? Being able to watch every college basketball game of my favorite team is the only thing that's kept me from cutting the cord thus far, but I should be able to access the WatchESPN app via YoutubeTV subscription. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if it worked well.

Thanks.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:46 pm

Right now, I have of course local channels, plus a number of cable channels. I set up series recordings for things I'm interested in, and those show up when new episodes are shown. There's a guide that I use to look for shows that I hear about, including searching. I watch everything off the DVR, and fast-forward over commercials. Occasionally I use the On-Demand if I miss something due to conflict, programming delay, or outage.

What service or combination would replace that? I'm not really interested in expanding my program list much, so originals on various services aren't really what I'm looking at right now.
You should explore You Tube TV. First, see if local channels are availabile in your area (many, but not all, areas have local on YTTV). Then, see if the cable channels you want are on YTTV.

If you pass both those screens, I think you should be good. YTTV allows series recordings with unlimited storage and long retention periods, search functions, etc.

Other services may give the same. But YTTV is good enough for me.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm

Stinky wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:

You should explore You Tube TV. First, see if local channels are availabile in your area (many, but not all, areas have local on YTTV). Then, see if the cable channels you want are on YTTV.

If you pass both those screens, I think you should be good. YTTV allows series recordings with unlimited storage and long retention periods, search functions, etc.

I gave up on youtubetv when the shows I wanted to watch wouldnt let me fast forward through commercials. Saving a few bucks isnt worth that amount of suffering. I know google is working to allow this on more channels but it is something to be aware of when switchimg from traditional cable./dvrs. Use the free trials and decide gk ow much it bothers you.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:26 pm

daheld wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:59 pm
Anyone had any experience using the WatchESPN app with your Youtube TV subscription? Being able to watch every college basketball game of my favorite team is the only thing that's kept me from cutting the cord thus far, but I should be able to access the WatchESPN app via YoutubeTV subscription. Just wondering if anyone has experience with this and if it worked well.

Thanks.
I have YTTV and I tried ESPN+ (I think that's the new name of ESPN3 or WatchESPN). Those 2 are separate services and don't have to have one to get the other.

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 pm

soccerdad12 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:26 pm
daheld wrote:

Thanks.
I have YTTV and I tried ESPN+ (I think that's the new name of ESPN3 or WatchESPN). Those 2 are separate services and don't have to have one to get the other.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. In order to watch content on the WatchESPN app/ESPN+, you have to have TV service through a qualifying provider. Right now, I access WatchESPN/ESPN+ via my DirecTV account. I'd like to do the same using a subscription to YoutubeTV in the future and I'm just asking if anyone has experience with this and how it was.

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:31 pm

You get access to ESPN3 and the channels you have access to on YTTV in the ESPN app with YTTV.

ESPN+ is a separate subscription directly with ESPN. It is $5 a month or $50 a year.

onourway

Post by onourway » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:31 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:

IMO YTTV is way better than the traditional cable box for DVR. You have unlimited storage space. You simply click the + button on any program and it will automatically record all episodes for you. Over time, we end up with pretty much the entire run of many series from these recordings, organized in an easy to navigate way, season by season. When you first open the YTTV app it will offer you up recommendations that are usually spot-on for what you are coming to watch. Way less navigation through clunky menus.

For a period many of the channels were forcing you to watch the commercials on the DVR'ed content, but I believe that has largely been reversed now.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm

daheld wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 pm
soccerdad12 wrote:
daheld wrote:

Thanks.
I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. In order to watch content on the WatchESPN app/ESPN+, you have to have TV service through a qualifying provider. Right now, I access WatchESPN/ESPN+ via my DirecTV account. I'd like to do the same using a subscription to YoutubeTV in the future and I'm just asking if anyone has experience with this and how it was.
Yes the WatchESPN app works the same as with YTTV or any of the other streaming services as long as you get ESPN, which is pretty much every single one. ESPN+ is different as it is its own streaming service that costs $5 per month separately. ESPN+ and access to WatchESPN are not the same thing, ESPN+ has the monthly subscription fee even if you have DirecTV.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:43 pm

I dropped DirecTV last year for YTTV and locked it in at the $35/month rate, and it's a much better product than traditional cable on top of being way less expensive. Make sure you have a good modem and good router. I invested in the most up to date modem and got Google Wifi and it's been amazing. I use a Roku 4k (I have the Ultra on living room TV and stick on another, they both have the same performance). I originally had the latest AppleTV 4k and that did not work well with YTTV, I recently saw an article that they supposedly fixed the bug that was causing resolution issues but it took 9 months so I won't go back to AppleTV.

If you're looking to switch, the nice thing about all of these services is there are no contracts and most if not all of them will have a 7 day free trial. So you can buy a cheap Roku Stick on amazon and try things out before you decide to make the switch. I would check out the channel lineup for your area for YoutubeTV, Playstation Vue, DirecTV Now, Hulu TV, Sling, and even Philo. When viewing channel packages you will notice that you need to make a decision whether or not sports will matter to you, if they don't you can find packages that are very cheap. You also need to put in your zip code to check if you will receive all of your major local channels.

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:47 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm
Stinky wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:20 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:

I gave up on youtubetv when the shows I wanted to watch wouldnt let me fast forward through commercials. Saving a few bucks isnt worth that amount of suffering. I know google is working to allow this on more channels but it is something to be aware of when switchimg from traditional cable./dvrs. Use the free trials and decide gk ow much it bothers you.
I've had this service for the last 9 months and this is not the case, I don't remember it ever being an issue for me actually. I think if you search for shows and watch them on demand some channels will force you to watch commercials but I don't remember ever being forced to view commercials with stuff I actually recorded on the DVR. Maybe there are some channels that had this policy that I didn't use so I never experienced it.

Mitchell777

Post by Mitchell777 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:15 pm

Are there businesses that will set this up for you once you've decided on YouTubeTV or another service? I know it seems simple to most people but I'm not in that group.

buccimane

Post by buccimane » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:17 pm

I dropped cable for Youtube Tv. I love it.. Very good for Sports channels.

You can also pick up where you left off if you stopped watch TV mid-show.
A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still

Triple digit golfer

Post by Triple digit golfer » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:20 pm

I currently use PlayStation Vue but would like to switch to YouTube TV. Does it support the Amazon Fire TV?

daheld

Post by daheld » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:12 pm

TylerS7 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:34 pm
daheld wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:29 pm
soccerdad12 wrote:
daheld wrote:

Thanks.
Yes the WatchESPN app works the same as with YTTV or any of the other streaming services as long as you get ESPN, which is pretty much every single one. ESPN+ is different as it is its own streaming service that costs $5 per month separately. ESPN+ and access to WatchESPN are not the same thing, ESPN+ has the monthly subscription fee even if you have DirecTV.
Thanks.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:39 pm

I just started a YouTube TV trial and probably will not continue it.

I have two Samsung SmartHub TVs. The YouTube TV app is not even available for our main TV, which is the older of my two Samsung SmartHub TVs. Although the YouTube TV app is available for the newer one, I have to navigate several steps to launch YouTube TV when I power the TV on because the app does not support the 'autolaunch last app'.

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 pm

Bought a $35 antenna. Now I get 60 channels ( nbc,CBS,fox, etc) for free. +
$15 Netflix.

All set😁

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:16 pm

mrmass wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 am
I'm considering it, but if you have a spouse/SO consider their viewing habits.

If you're a channel surfer (like me) then having a cable box is very convenient. If you cut the cord, then you usually watch a show/movie, as opposed to surfing to find something.

Also consider if you have data caps on your internet. Very few can actually cut the cord totally.

check out the /r/cordcutters subreddit.
:?:

Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:26 pm

I have it currently and really like it. I love college football and it has more games on then one can imagine including the SEC network.
For sports (if you're into that), it beats Sling, tho I have had that before. Sling now makes you 'choose' between orange and blue....you lose a little w/ either choice. :( Though when I did have that 2 years back the interface was pretty quick.

Tried PS Vue, it had a good channel selection too but the interface was pokey.

Will stick w/ Youtube TV for now. Also get all my local channels there, as when OTA barely comes in once all went 'digital'.

The DVR option is really, really nice and its unlimited. Set it to record this movie or that in your 'library' and its there to watch when you want it. Same for any 'series' that airs, it will record and store it all for you to watch later. Pretty cool. I have DVR'd all the Alabama football games this season!

Of all the streaming services I've tried, it is so far the best.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.

elcadarj

Post by elcadarj » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:42 pm

I have AT&T fiber to the house, 300 Mbs. U-Verse 200 pkg. $120/mo. I just started the Hulu Live trial. So far, it meets my needs as far as channel accesss; however, Hulu serves up their content at 720p. My main tv is a 40 in class and the difference between a 1080p and 720p signal is noticeable. Next trial is DirecTV Now. I’ll let you know the results.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:51 pm

sksbog wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:08 pm
Bought a $35 antenna. Now I get 60 channels ( nbc,CBS,fox, etc) for free. +
$15 Netflix.
Are you using a recording device of some sort? I can't go back to live TV, plus conflicts of course.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:53 pm

The biggest gap in YouTube TV I see is Discovery Channel. There are shows on that I follow. Also PBS, but I don't think any have that.

brokenrecord

Post by brokenrecord » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:58 pm

YouTube TV is not compatible with Amazon Firestick. We are with Hulu Live that is compatible. It also includes the Hulu originals and the shows they’ve contacted out with which is nice. $40

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:49 am

Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've been inspired by it to check on the availability of YTTV in my area. It is! (last time I checked, a few months ago, it wasn't)... I set up an account and am now checking out the free trial. So far so good. Looks like it's great for sports nuts like me...

I expect that I'll be cutting the cord. I just took a look at my cable bill, and they're charging me $45 for internet service and (when you include all the various fees) $95 for TV service. Yikes! That's criminal...
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am

catdude wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:49 am
Thanks OP for starting this thread. I've been inspired by it to check on the availability of YTTV in my area. It is! (last time I checked, a few months ago, it wasn't)... I set up an account and am now checking out the free trial. So far so good. Looks like it's great for sports nuts like me...

I expect that I'll be cutting the cord. I just took a look at my cable bill, and they're charging me $45 for internet service and (when you include all the various fees) $95 for TV service. Yikes! That's criminal...
I guess something to be concerned about is what the internet service will be without cable. Of course, given the different in base costs of the TV service, there's a lot of slack there.

catdude

Post by catdude » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:27 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:57 am
I guess something to be concerned about is what the internet service will be without cable. Of course, given the different in base costs of the TV service, there's a lot of slack there.
I think if you un-bundle services, stand-alone internet is $60 a month with a 500 GB monthly data cap. (There's no limit on data if you bundle internet + TV.)
catdude | | "I yield to the gentleman for a few feeble remarks." (Congressman Thaddeus Stevens)

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:07 am

Another vote for YTTV, asked Spectrum for a price break and was told no way. Love YTTV, I watch at gym on my phone amd use ROKUs at home. Received a special mailing from Spectrum offering $21.95 per month tv using their app. No set top boxes or dvr included.
No tks, I am good.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:58 am

Doing a bit of scouting, here's a comparison of streaming services:

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellit ... eals-2018/

With a channel lineup sub:

https://clark.com/technology/tvsatellit ... el-lineup/

Just on a channel lineup, Hulu Live is better for me as it has the Discovery family and A&E included. However, reading the reviews, the problem with that is the base cloud DVR. That's only 50 hours (not a huge problem) but doesn't allow fast-forward through commercials (that IS a problem). You'd have to spend $15 to upgrade the DVR quality. You do get the full Hulu original programming for those that are interested.

HappyWorkerBee

Post by HappyWorkerBee » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:03 pm

randomguy wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:47 pm
I gave up on youtubetv when the shows I wanted to watch wouldnt let me fast forward through commercials. Saving a few bucks isnt worth that amount of suffering.
This was my experience as well. At least for the instances where I observed it, it seemed to be because they don't truly include the local network TV stations in my area, they're included on a VOD-basis rather than a DVR-basis so you can't fast-forward through commercials. Advertising works, the less I'm exposed to it the better, so I don't mind paying to avoid it.

I use a TiVO, which makes fast forwarding through commercials about as pleasant as it can be.

corn18

Post by corn18 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:30 pm

I am in the middle of deciding to cut the cord. We have had DirecTV since 1996. We like it because it's what we know. I Pay $167 / mo for 5 TV's and no premium channels. Plus $67/mo for crappy internet. Barf.

We are moving to TX and I am getting AT&T fiber @ 100mbps for $40/mo. I have subscribed to Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YTTV and DirecTV Now. None are perfect. I liked DTVN the best for available channels. 20 hours of DVR might be an issue, but again, it was similar to what we have now with DTV.

Then I got a Google Home device and a Chromecast and all that has changed. YTTV is the winner by a mile. "Hey Google, turn on my TV and view CNN". "Hey Google, show ESPN" and who knows how many other things I can do now without touching a remote or clicking a button.

I also have an Echo Plus and it worked great with Amazon Prime, but I don't like Amazon Prime Video.

Nothing works well with DTVN (yet). I think I have to click literally a million times before I get to anything I want to watch on DTVN + Roku.

So, I am now going to try to convince my wife that we can drop DTV and go with Google Home + YTTV.
Don't do something, just stand there!

Hug401k

Post by Hug401k » Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm

Every time I look into this, the cost of internet only ends up being so high, it doesn't seem worth it. I go back to a triple play offer, and it's not that much higher. That being said, I only have one cable box so my cable expenses are a bit less and my channel selection is pretty basic. I'm interested to know how much people pay for internet only. Also, I've used an organization called BillShark to keep me at the introductory rates.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:17 pm

No history channel, discovery or food network. Count me out.

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Was using it at $35/month, using Chromecast to stream from computer to TV. Was mainly using it to watch the monologues on the late-night shows, but a few other network shows as well. Forced to watch commercials on some shows (e.g., Colbert) but not others (e.g., Kimmel). There was a week or two where they seemed to eliminate the commercials, but then they resumed.

Recently switched to Xfinity stream for about $18/month. Only channels provided that I watch are the three major networks and PBS, but that's good enough for me (in addition to Amazon Prime and Netflix). Able to fast forward through commercials just like a regular DVR. Only 20 hours of cloud DVR recording time, but good enough for me. So now paying about $55/month for 60 Mbps internet plus Xfinity stream; before renewing contract, was paying $40/month for just internet, so only paying $15 more for Xfinity stream.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)

linenfort

Post by linenfort » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:57 pm

This is tangential but I heard on the radio that Youtube Originals will become free.
Here's a link - https://techcrunch.com/2018/11/28/youtu ... d-by-2020/

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm

Hug401k wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm
Every time I look into this, the cost of internet only ends up being so high, it doesn't seem worth it. I go back to a triple play offer, and it's not that much higher. That being said, I only have one cable box so my cable expenses are a bit less and my channel selection is pretty basic. I'm interested to know how much people pay for internet only. Also, I've used an organization called BillShark to keep me at the introductory rates.
I'd be curious to find out if I'd lose my nice $15/month internet if I drop cable. It's not really bundled as far as I know, but I don't know.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:38 pm

As the two-week trial for YTTV is scheduled to end tomorrow (might extend who knows) I signed up to give it a go. I'll probably try some of the others as well.

daheld

Post by daheld » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:45 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:08 pm
Hug401k wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:54 pm
I'd be curious to find out if I'd lose my nice $15/month internet if I drop cable. It's not really bundled as far as I know, but I don't know.
Most likely, yes. I know our local providers, of which there are two, ALWAYS charge more for a single service than they would for that service if it were bundled.

Right now we're paying $92/month for DirecTV with a TON of channels (can't remember the exact channel package) plus internet. I've learned that's about as cheap as it gets. The issue is that the last year of our contract it'll go up to about $120/month. Once the contract expires in Feb 2020, I'm switching to YTTV. I figure I'll pay about $50/month just for internet, plus the $40/month for YTTV. If I can stay at $90/month I'll be satisfied.