To each his own ( I guess ) [Opinions of traveling in retirement]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Indianrock

To each his own ( I guess ) [Opinions of traveling in retirement]

Post by Indianrock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:09 am

I'm interested in how others view travel, particularly in retirement. We've seen a lot of scenery over the decades, mostly in the U.S.. At this point my wife is really only interested in travel that includes kids and grandkids. We do have a trip planned to Washington D.C. with kids/grandkids to see the Smithsonian etc. We also go to Alaska every other year to see my older son's family.
Call us uncultured but neither of us seem to have much interest in Europe. Same probably goes for Asia. I wouldn't mind taking the Canadian rail trip from B.C. to the Banff area. Or re-visiting some things in the Southwest that fascinated me as a child ( Carlsbad Caverns etc ).

Are we nuts?
If I was king: once a stock is purchased, you hold it for 30 days.

livesoft

Re: To each his own ( I guess )

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 am

Why do you ask?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:16 am

to each his own
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:22 am

Have either of you already been to Europe or Asia? After visiting there I view travel to there differently. Before I would have said just staying home is fine with me, but now I'd jump at the chance to go to either.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 am

You do not really travel so much as visit family. I would not call you uncultured, but incurious fits the bill.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:26 am

Whatever makes you happy, it's your life.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:28 am

Happy you want to vacation with grandkids, also happy that you're not taking them to Europe.

Everyone has different goals when it comes to travel. I love spending time in Europe but I also like taking short trips to Las Vegas, Mexico, NYC, etc. Each place offers something totally different. It's also naive to say "I don't like going to Europe". Do you realize the difference between places like Spain and Denmark? I've spent time in places in France that you would swear are the rural parts of America, while I've spent time in other parts of France that are 100% different than you can see anywhere in the U.S..

Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:32 am

There are many in Europe and Asia uninterested in travelling to the States. I hear it all the time, usually following a discussion about what it is like to go through US passport control just to vacation in the States. I tell such people, "to each his own". And then feel a little sorry for them.

It's funny to read you post because at this very moment, my husband is grumbling and fighting with the Esta website to renew his.

My opinion is that it's worth the inconvenience to see the world. Travel is the greatest teacher of understanding, as many have said before me.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 am

Indianrock wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:09 am
I'm interested in how others view travel, particularly in retirement. We've seen a lot of scenery...
It's less about simply seeing stuff and more about DOING things.
Have you hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon (and back up)?

My most recent retirement trip, a month ago, was back to Bonaire for a long week of shore diving.

For some of us, a successful trip somewhere breeds on itself and creates ideas for follow up trips.
It's possible that some people never developed a travel/exploration itch at a younger age and therefore, at age 60+, it's unreasonably late to start learning new tricks.
Whatever, no need for people to do similar things in retirement...
Attempted new signature...

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:40 am

Indianrock wrote:
I'm interested in how others view travel, particularly in retirement. We've seen a lot of scenery over the decades, mostly in the U.S.. At this point my wife is really only interested in travel that includes kids and grandkids. We do have a trip planned to Washington D.C. with kids/grandkids to see the Smithsonian etc. We also go to Alaska every other year to see my older son's family.
Call us uncultured but neither of us seem to have much interest in Europe. Same probably goes for Asia. I wouldn't mind taking the Canadian rail trip from B.C. to the Banff area. Or re-visiting some things in the Southwest that fascinated me as a child ( Carlsbad Caverns etc ).

Are we nuts?
Enjoy your travel around the USA! We have one of the most varied and beautiful landscapes of any country in the world; from glaciers to rainforests, deep canyons and high mountains, some of the coldest and hottest places on earth, access to some of the greatest beaches in the world, freshwater and saltwater activities, and home to some of man’s greatest architectural achievements.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am

May be plan something for yourselves than visiting families or with family.
I see there are three generations. Difficult to have a plan / schedule to account for all generation needs / wishes.
All may be unhappy.

As we age, we do need to change, may be you may like to travel in company with same interests, of your generation or such.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 am

Indianrock wrote:

Are we nuts?
You are not nuts.
You are just not curious.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am

I know quite a few retirees who limit traveling, whether with RV or not, to within the USA for many reasons. IE: time restriction, health (duration), expense, convenience, perceived or real ease of including kids and grandkids, ability to consolidate with visiting relatives and family in other states, etc.

Actionably:

1. Consider posting a followup thread on: which RV to travel in the USA with children and grandkids: Winnebago Travato VS Roadtrek VS . . . :D

2. Whatever lifestyle expenditures fit your IPS will likely find great support here. :D

JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:16 am

Indianrock wrote:
I'm interested in how others view travel, particularly in retirement.
There's so much of the US we haven't seen yet. I personally have no desire to travel internationally at this time. Maybe later on.

Washington D.C. is one of my favorite places. I've been there several times but there's a lot more to see and do. We'll probably go back at some point in the not too distant future. And I'd love to take the grandkids when they are old enough.

We are lucky enough to see our son, daughter-in-law, and grandkids almost every week. But our other son lives on the opposite coast, so we try to get out there at least once each year. It makes for a great vacation.

One of the nicest things about retirement is that you get to do what makes you happy. There's no need to do something just because others do it. Travel isn't a competition. Life is too short to waste it going places that don't excite you. Ignore those who feel the need to justify their own travel by calling you "incurious".
Are we nuts?
Maybe. But not because of your travel preferences.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:23 am

Indianrock wrote:

Are we nuts?
It's your life and your curiosity, or lack thereof, and I say that respectfully. If you don't have any interest in seeing Europe or Asia then you shouldn't waste your time and money doing that. OTOH, restricting you travels to a country (USA) that has a very limited history and narrow scope of cultural diversity is not what we are doing, since you asked about other retirees. We leave in less than 2 weeks for a three week cruise that starts in San Juan, PR and ends back there after going quite a ways up the Amazon River to Manassas, Brazil and back through French Guiana, Barbados and several other small Island destinations. I took two three week each trips touring China and would go back in a heartbeat. ..... the Great Wall at 5200 miles long is almost beyond comprehension as are many other things in Asia from Ankor Wat and it's surrounding Temples .... I could go on having taken 9 or 10 trips to Asia..... We spent three weeks river cruising from Amsterdam to Budapest 2 years ago and are going back this coming June. It will be Portugal in April and after that and next summer we will move on to the Mediterranean. Don't get me wrong.. we have toured the US and cruised the Snake and Columbia Rivers, done a full Mississippi crossing from Minneapolis to New Orleans, coastal Maine, Carolinas, Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion and so forth.... 43 states so far too. If you are ever in the mood to take a little sampler of some of these countries feel free to try my website, everything is annotated with what and where.... www.martindareff.com Happy travels where ever they may be.
Last edited by midareff on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 am

As long as you and your spouse are happy on your travels, that is all that matters. As mentioned before, there are so many great and varied sites to visit in the U.S.

I would go back to Carlsbad, I remember, as a child, seeing the swarm of bats leave the cave around dusk. Amazing. Nothing wrong with revisiting some of your favorite spots, you can always find something new to see.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am

It doesn't matter what other people think. If you two are happy and content with your life, that's all that matters.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future. I invest in Vanguard Total World Stock Index.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am

Some hate rap and rock and roll, but others, instead, love classical music, opera and dance. The latter is me.
Some want one domestic partner for life, while others want forever a variety. The former is me.
Some love to do gardening and landscaping themselves and never hire anyone, while others hate it and hire it out. The former is me
Some want to see the world over and over while some want to stay home and not go anywhere. The former was me at one time, now I am the latter.
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. We are not the same and that's a good thing. :sharebeer
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:48 am

My wife and I like to take cruises.

We don't have children, but we do have nieces and nephews to visit. We've been to Europe several times on land tours, and there are places we'd return to.

But mostly, we like the shipboard experience of cruising. It's basically a floating hotel that moves from city to city, country to country. You can choose itineraries that interest you, see interesting sights, and still get the resort hotel experience at the same time. We've cruised parts of the Caribbean, the northern Mediterranean, and Alaska so far.

You can choose the price point that satisfies you, and get the extra commensurate benefits that go along with it, like stateroom size, premier dining, reserved lounges, etc.

-B

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 am

Indianrock wrote:

Are we nuts?
We travel the world in retirement but that doesn't make us any different than you. You're enjoying life. Everybody has a different opinion on traveling, whatever works.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:50 am

Everyone is different. If you dont particularly enjoy or want to have other travel experiences, do what's right for you. In retirement, we travel for the usual reasons along with providing us with a way to have a source of continuing education. No matter where we go we always learn something new each time.

Enjoy what you like.

Topic Author
Indianrock

Post by Indianrock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:07 am

Wow, lots of responses. More than most I've posted in the financial forums :-) Personally I've been to Asia and Europe in the military. We both took a Caribbean cruise plus numerous trips to Alaska and Hawaii -- so not complete homebodies. It might very well be my wife just isn't interested in "more scenery" with yours truly. But realistically our 3 granddaughters will soon be moving into those ages where grandpa and grandma may not be all that exciting. :-) Two twin girls, 7 years of age, who live next door with my younger son's family. The other granddaughter, 10 years old, who is with my older son's family in Alaska.
We had considered a trip to Disneyland with kids/grandkids but decided the upsides just didn't justify the higher prices. Plenty of similar trips to plan in our own state of Washington.

Different strokes for different folks, as the old song says.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am

The Wizard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 am
Indianrock wrote:
I'm interested in how others view travel, particularly in retirement. We've seen a lot of scenery...

My most recent retirement trip, a month ago, was back to Bonaire for a long week of shore diving.

For some of us, a successful trip somewhere breeds on itself and creates ideas for follow up trips.
It's possible that some people never developed a travel/exploration itch at a younger age and therefore, at age 60+, it's unreasonably late to start learning new tricks.
I kind of disagree with your first line. Sometimes just sitting back and watching the scenery is just as satisfying as participating in some activity there. Some prefer observing over active participation..to each their own.

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 am

To each his own ( I guess )
As long as you and your spouse agree that is fine. If your spouse wants to go to someplace else though you should consider giving some other places a try, assuming you can afford it.

It is hard to believe but the average American has only been to 12 states so you may actually be a well above average traveler.

https://livability.com/topics/business/ ... an-visited

As I recall before passports were required to go to Canada and Mexico only about 10% of Americans even had a passport.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:07 am

Sheepdog wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:43 am
Some hate rap and rock and roll, but others, instead, love classical music, opera and dance. The latter is me.
Some want one domestic partner for life, while others want forever a variety. The former is me.
Some love to do gardening and landscaping themselves and never hire anyone, while others hate it and hire it out. The former is me
Some want to see the world over and over while some want to stay home and not go anywhere. The former was me at one time, now I am the latter.
Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. We are not the same and that's a good thing. :sharebeer
I agree with Sheepdog. Don’t compare yourself to others. If you are happy with your life, then all is well.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:11 am

You aren't nuts.
Some folks like Beach-Vacations - the last thing I can do is spend all day sitting on the beach baking in the sun - I don't get it. I've been called "nuts" for not wanting to spend a week roasting on the beach. Some folks simply go back to the same beach every year. I like to read and relax - but find better places to do so.
I like European vacations - enjoy the history, culture, food, etc. But certainly understand that others do not (and it is a lot of expense and hassle if you don't enjoy). I've been to Asia a few times but for a variety of reasons enjoy Europe more - so no need to visit and learn about Asia any further for me.

Calico

Post by Calico » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am

I think slick advertising campaigns by financial companies have most of us convinced that the "normal" thing to do in retirement is travel. A common trope in these commercials or in Financial brochures is explaining saving and finances while showing couples traveling the word or sitting on an exotic beach. Travel isn't for everyone different people enjoy different things. Do what's fun for you in retirement, not what society (or TV commercials) tells you what you should do.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:14 am

theplayer11 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:19 am
The Wizard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:37 am
Indianrock wrote:

I kind of disagree with your first line. Sometimes just sitting back and watching the scenery is just as satisfying as participating in some activity there. Some prefer observing over active participation..to each their own.
+1. Some may enjoy a hike to the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Others may be terrified of heights and prefer comfortably enjoying the views at a comfortable distance from the edge of the Canyon (or simply have no interest in a long strenuous hike).
There are no rule books - and if one person enjoys an experience - they shouldn't assume others would likewise enjoy it.

Some folks don't enjoy travel at all - prefer to just stay home and drive to some local parks, museums, attractions. That's fine too.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:16 am

I get it that you do not like to travel. But what about your kids and grand kids? One of the best things I did with my kids was travel and talk to them about the world. We did long car trips to Yosemite and Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon when they were young. Then when they got to be teenagers we took them on long bus trips to Europe. They saw the Pope and the Vatican and Rome and Paris and the Eiffel Tower and London and Germany and Switzerland and tons of other stuff. They were 14 and 19, so old enough to appreciate the different cultures and sights and enjoy the trip.

I am looking forward to doing things like this with my grand kids when they are older. The last two years I took them to the Indianapolis 500 car race. Three years ago they came to Tahoe for a winter ski vacation. I am talking to their Dad now about where to travel next year.

Good Luck.

RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 am

Indianrock wrote:
Are we nuts?
I hope not. I'm retired, too. And, I've traveled some in the US and overseas a little bit, and plan to do some more. However, the older I get the more I've come to realize that there are entire continents I'm no longer interested in seeing.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

No interest in travel outside of the USA. One of our keys to financial success has been refusing and/or avoiding international travel.

10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 am

I may be inferring something that is not there, but it sounds like maybe you would prefer to travel a bit more, just nowhere exotic and without grandkids/kids? If that is correct, why not take a trip or two on your own, or with friends? If that is not the case, and you are both content with your current travel goals, whatever they may be, good for you.

Personally, I wish I were more content to not travel. We travel as a family of four 2-3 times a year (sometimes out of the country, not always), and I also travel a fair amount for work, but I would still prefer to travel more or at least stay for longer periods of time. I enjoy almost everything about travel, including flying. Due to work and kids, we cannot do more travel than we do today, so I will likely have a hefty backlog when I finally retire. But who knows, by the time I reach retirement, maybe I won't feel this way any longer? If so, and I am content, so be it.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:00 pm

RollTide31457 wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am
No interest in travel outside of the USA. One of our keys to financial success has been refusing and/or avoiding international travel.
Can be free with playing the credit card sign up bonus game...

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:03 pm

A friend of mine always gives me a hard time about going to Europe because of $$$. A few months ago I went for 2 weeks to France and the Netherlands. That trip cost us about $3,500 all in. Last week he ordered a 4 day bowl package to the Alamo Bowl for him and his wife, which costs close to $4,500. :oops:

Topic Author
Indianrock

Post by Indianrock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Things may change as the granddaughters move into their teens... I'm definitely not ruling out more travel beyond the United States in the future although I'm not going to put myself in the poor house doing it .
The advantage today is that you can go online and get so much more information which enables you to narrow down what you really want to see --perhaps spend two weeks in and around a particular city rather than 6 hours in each of eight different countries

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:09 pm

RadAudit wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:20 am
Indianrock wrote:
Are we nuts?
I hope not. I'm retired, too. And, I've traveled some in the US and overseas a little bit, and plan to do some more. However, the older I get the more I've come to realize that there are entire continents I'm no longer interested in seeing.
Nowhere near retirement, but we (wife and I) have very little interest in traveling. We both do quite a bit of it for our careers and it is a chore. For me, the hassle of getting to and from destinations tends to cancel out the enjoyment of actually being there. We tend to do 2-3 day hiking/camping trips with our kids as opposed to "traveling". We have identified a few places we'd like to see at some point in our lives, but otherwise our retirement vision does not include a whole lot of traveling.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Why would it matter what internet strangers think of your travel preferences? It's your retirement, not ours.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:44 pm

Theres a couple people I know who travel overseas just so they can brag to their friends at starbucks about it.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:55 pm

Indianrock wrote:

Are we nuts?
I traveled extensively before retiring, both for work and for pleasure. My wife and I love National Parks and have been to most of them at least once. Europe was OK but not a huge draw for me now. My wife still likes to travel. Now, retired, I find it a MAJOR pain in the tush; I am probably rationalizing, but I think it was because of all the work travel I did flying around the US and some to Europe for the 10 years prior to retirement. Going to the airport on a crowded interstate highway, getting through security, rude people, bad food, and cramped airplane accomodations are now my personal idea of hell. I try to avoid at all costs and just buy plane tickets for my kids to come see us. They still think travel is fun. YMMV
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:33 pm

My wife and I face the same issues. We are retired, have terminal degrees in our fields, are in good health and have discretionary income. We have no interest in traveling overseas at all, minor interest in continental travel at times. Our children love to travel and do not see why we do not. We consider taking one trip to see if it would be enjoyable but reactions by friends who travel overseas are not encouraging. ?To each his own is appropriate.

Tim

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 pm

Indianrock wrote:
Call us uncultured....
Uncultured! Sorry to do that, but you asked.

It's your (you and wifey) damn money do with it as you please. Editorially, it says something very positive about you, your wife, kids, and grand kids that you are able to and find joy in traveling together. It is a real blessing, congratulations. Travel and live in good health.

Topic Author
Indianrock

Post by Indianrock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:50 pm

I do appreciate all the different perspectives on this. I think it's been helpful... like some I think I got tired of travel even in my late teens and early twenties in the military. Being the only bachelor in my group at the time I got sent on temporary duty assignments a lot showing up at some strange base in the middle of the night, walking into a guest barracks and sleeping next to a guy that snored like a freight train
Also like some others these days now that I'm 70 I appreciate the comfort and cleanliness of most places in the United States and Canada, and of course nothing beats home for the best food the best bed , cleanest bathroom at cetera

My wife and I are very responsible and have excellent driving records but for their own reasons our grown kids want to be the ones behind the steering wheel if the grandkids are in the car so that obviously puts a limit on some types of travel.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:24 pm

Shallowpockets wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:24 am
You do not really travel so much as visit family. I would not call you uncultured, but incurious fits the bill.
Why? I have never been hunting. Am I incurious because I choose not to undertake an activity that I don't think I will enjoy? Not liking traveling means you don't like traveling. Now there may be correlations in traits between liking some activities and not others (there have been a lot of papers lately on how conservatives and liberals view the world) that are linked to not want to travel but it is a stretch to draw a lot of conclusions.

Replace the word travel with golf, cooking, theatre, dancing, driving,... and nobody would blink an eye about not liking an activity. Travel is just another way to spend time and money. You have to figure out if it maximizes your life by doing it or not.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:42 pm

ponyboy wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:44 pm
Theres a couple people I know who travel overseas just so they can brag to their friends at starbucks about it.
Even Worse:
I read that higher than 50% of millennials are booking vacations based upon where they can post the best Instagram pictures from.

celia

Post by celia » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:54 pm

OP, Even if you are not interested in different destinations than you usually go to, do you take different routes to get to those places (especially locally)? This helps exercise the brain--seeing something different (even if it is only a traffic jam or bumpy road or a construction site), reading different signs, solving different "problems" in routing or parking? This is one of the many ways to exercise your brain and help stave off Alzheimers.

DH and I like to travel to different places, unless visiting relatives. I don't even mind getting lost any more (although DH hates that). I look at it as seeing something I never would have experienced otherwise, whether it is chickens at the side of the road, a road closure, talking to someone new, or a hidden cemetery (a "gem" for genealogists like me). The best unexpected surprise was when my Polish cousin was driving us towards Krakow, when he saw a sign and said "The turn-off for Wadowice is coming up. I've never been there." I asked, "What is there?" "That's where Pope John Paul II was born". "Let's go see it!". So we got off, I looked at the map and saw it was very close to Auschwitz, so I suggested we see that too. Just think, when we got up that morning, we were just going to commute to a large city, but ended up seeing two unexpected sites in the same day!

marielake

Post by marielake » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:23 pm

I never had much desire to travel beyond the Caribbean until I went to Paris and French Riveria. It changed my whole travel outlook. Until you do it, you don't know what you are missing. Prior to retiring, I took about 3 big trips a year. I retired last year and went to Southeast Asia for a month. Looking at going to Australia and New Zealand next year.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:34 pm

Keep in mind that as we get older we seem to get lazier. Getting up and out becomes a wee bit harder. Not always physically, but mentally. We like it warm and cozy and easy. We like our circle small, manageable. Stay in the neighborhood.
Easier to not do, than to do. We create all kinds of excuses. We lack motivation. We want it, but are not about to go through the trouble of getting it.
Someone mentioned that travel was so that their friend could talk about it at Starbucks. I guess that is some motivation there. No one cares about your talking about grand kids, your cats, your aches and pains. But, if that's all you have. When you talk about that you talk about it wih others who talk about the same thing. You buddy up on the same same life.
At the Xmas party or get together everyone is over there listening to uncle Joe. He just got back from Africa. Your cats and garden don't stand a chance.
We all have a lot of Walter Mitty in us. The difference is in how comfy and easy you want it to be.
To each his own, true, but sometimes you got to go deeper and see what is it you really want to be your own.

pejp

Post by pejp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:50 pm

Is it that you've traveled and just don't enjoy it? Or that it just doesn't appeal to you? I've known people before who have had the latter attitude, gone to Europe, Asia, or Africa, and have come back with a completely changed perspective, because it was their first time seeing thousand year old buildings, public squares, a different culture, and even something as simple as experiencing mass transit! I used to work with a college grad who took his first international trip, to London, and as I'm from London originally he had lots of questions for me, and I was shocked at how he had basically been conditioned to think that the US was the most advanced place in the world in every regard. He was asking me if the food was safe to eat, if we had public transport, if it was safe to walk around at night, what kind of cars we have etc. It was like he thought the rest of the world was some barren wasteland. Of course, the US is a fantastic country with enough to keep anyone occupied, and I can understand if one has traveled and found it just isn't for them, or they don't enjoy flying etc but I do really struggle to understand the lack of desire to see the world when it's based on the idea that it must be inferior to the US, or that it's pointless because the US has everything. Unfortunately, this is an attitude that I've seen quite a lot, and I do find it quite sad. Although, I'd agree with most of the other posters on here....just do whatever makes you happy. There is no objective 'right' answer here.
Last edited by pejp on Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vitaflo

Re: To each his own ( I guess ) [Opinions of traveling in retirement]

Post by vitaflo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Indianrock wrote:

Are we nuts?
I think you need to figure out what kind of vacationer you are. I did Europe to try it out but found it mostly annoying because my idea of vacation is not the typical vacation. I don't like big cities, nor do I find much interest in history or old buildings. I liked road tripping the French countryside but that's because I like nature and getting away from people. But I'm not sure I want to go through all the hoopla of getting out to Europe just to do that.

My wife and I are "stop and smell the roses" types. We like nature and are less destination focused than observing the world around us. Where most people will hike a trail to see a waterfall and get there as fast as possible to take photos, we take our time and stop to see mushrooms growing on the ground, moss on the trees, birds flying around, wildflowers sprouting in the field, wind blowing the leaves, etc. So much so that many times we don't make it to the "destination". But the tourist destination was never the point really.

Some people need big important places to see and experience to feel fulfilled and feel like they got something out of their trip. I can see why people like that stuff, but I find it a bit draining. If you know what kind of traveler you are, and what tickles your fancy, you'll have a better idea of what and where you want to go. I think this is an important part of getting the most out of travel.

onthecusp

Re: To each his own ( I guess ) [Opinions of traveling in retirement]

Post by onthecusp » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 pm

Take the grandkids to Carlsbad. Or other caves. Just about every state has one or two worth visiting.