Spotify or Amazon Music?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tc101

Spotify or Amazon Music?

Post by tc101 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 pm

I want to put music on my phone and listen to it in my car by connecting to blue tooth speakers. Reading reviews online I see that I can do this with either Spotify or Amazon Music for about the same price (I have amazon prime). I am not in the Apple system so don't want to use them.

One thing I am not clear on is what music will be stored on the phone and what will stream. With podcasts they load on my phone when I am at home connected to wifi, so I am not doing phone streaming while I drive. Do both Spotify and Amazon Music do this?

Unless someone tells me otherwise I will probably go with Amazon since I already have an Amazon account.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

edgeway

Re: Spotify or Amazon Music?

Post by edgeway » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:26 pm

Assuming you’re talking about the paid/premium subscriptions of each (I.e., an apples to apples comparison) then you can’t really go wrong with either. However, be aware that once you get used to one user interface it becomes quite hard to switch. Part of that is also due to the fact that once you start saving your music to one application you can’t transfer that catalogue to another provider (I’ve tried and it’s messy). So while I now user Spotify exclusively, my wife uses amazon music and both of us find it impossible to switch for the reasons I’ve stated (and it would be cheaper for us to just be on one or the other so we could get the family subscription).

1TheGame

Post by 1TheGame » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:28 pm

I subscribe to Amazon Music for $8 a month (don't know anything about Spotify). With AM you can play music by either streaming it or by downloading it. There is an "Offline Music Mode" in the app that can be toggled "on" to only allow music that has been downloaded to play. I leave this mode "on" except for when I am downloading music (at home over wifi).

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:40 pm

I've tried Spotify, Amazon and Google Play Music. If I were starting now I'd probably go Spotify since I like their curating better. I wasn't happy with Amazon and how its linkage to Echo/Alexa works; I returned my Echo. I use Google Play Music, in part because I uploaded a thousand or more CDs years ago as a free service, then a family member included me in a family plan for streaming, and finally because I've got several Home or Home mini devices that work well with it, but also will work with Spotify if a premium Spotify subscription.

Your phone should have a setting to play only downloaded music.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm

FYI, there's a deal for Spotify Premium until year's end for new subscribers or who haven't had it recently.

$9.99 for 3 months

https://www.spotify.com/us/checkout/pre ... country=US

Try it?

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 pm

or if you've never subscribed, here's a 3 month trial of Premium for $0.99 total.

I used this in past years.

https://www.spotify.com/us/premium/?checkout=false

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:04 pm

I had Amazon music (free version with 2 million songs vs. 50 million unlimited) for a a couple months on my iPhone. It worked great in the car via bluetooth connection. I downloaded all the songs I wanted to my phone so it did not stream and burn data. I recently switched back to Apple music since all my hardware is Apple and it is just simpler for me and my wife. I too was not able to convert my Amazon playlists to Apple music, had to download one song at a time to Apple music - a pain for a few hundred songs. Never should have switched in the first place. I'm firmly in the grasp of Apple. :oops:
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

How about you not use your phone while driving. I see so many cagers flipping through their phones at redlights and other times.

I use YouTube premium. All the music plus YouTube is ad free.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:24 pm

Spotify seems to have the best software/playlists. I still like iTunes the best for having a file of my favorite songs.
I am a fan of Kindle for books, Amazon Video for movies, and Steam for games.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Cycle wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm
How about you not use your phone while driving. I see so many cagers flipping through their phones at redlights and other times.

Today I learned a new word. And I are one. And my phone is always streaming music downloaded from Spotify when I am in my car.

My only experience with Amazon music was when it was introduced. It was new and very clunky, so not much of a basis for comparison. DW & I are quite happy with Spotify.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:45 pm

It’s not worth it if you are only using it in your car, but if you intend to do critical listening, I recommend TIDAL. Guarantee at least CD quality, and an ever expanding list of Master Quality selections. Software is clunky, but the sound is sweet.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 pm

Cycle wrote:

People on their phones while driving is one of my major pet peeves, but how is using Spotify in the car different than the radio? Should radios not be available in cars anymore? I use Spotify in the car, hit play as I am turning the key in my driveway and never look at the phone again. If, by chance, I want to skip a song, that's what steering wheel controls are for.

I am one of those people who very likely wouldn't have a phone at all unless it was absolutely necessary for my job and they paid for it (and I am a millenial). Other than email and Spotify, I'm pretty sure I've never been on the internet with it; 95%+ of its use is streaming music.

I vote for Spotify, very user friendly interface. Even a luddite like myself can use it.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:41 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:17 pm
Cycle wrote:

People on their phones while driving is one of my major pet peeves, but how is using Spotify in the car different than the radio? Should radios not be available in cars anymore? I use Spotify in the car, hit play as I am turning the key in my driveway and never look at the phone again. If, by chance, I want to skip a song, that's what steering wheel controls are for.

I am one of those people who very likely wouldn't have a phone at all unless it was absolutely necessary for my job and they paid for it (and I am a millenial). Other than email and Spotify, I'm pretty sure I've never been on the internet with it; 95%+ of its use is streaming music.

I vote for Spotify, very user friendly interface. Even a luddite like myself can use it.
The laws vary by state. In my state one will get ticketed for accessing data, so you have to do as you describe... Hit play before you start driving and use hands free from that point forward.

Frankly I do think there should be a lockbox for phones with cars, bc I can't resist flipping through to find a new podcast after my playlist is over. Maybe after I run over my neighborhoods child I might change my ways.

I feel like the windshield mounted phone holder is a safer way to hit next than looking down at the phone in ones hand, I have one of those similar to what Uber drivers have.

Spotify has the best app and user interface, followed by Amazon, followed by Google play. YouTube is so much better without ads, which is the only reason I opt for that over Spotify.... Like I think it's a better value.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Toons

Post by Toons » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:18 pm

Spotify.
I have both Amazon Prime music
tried their unlimited for 3 months.
For me it cannot compare to the algorithms that are used by Spotify
I pay 9.99 a month.
They have the service perfected,,playing what I like.
Listen most of the day,,,home ,car,etc.
I stream through the bluetooth in the car via phone
55.00 a month for unlimited data.
Haven't listened to terrestrial radio in years.
Just sayin.
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 am

How about tech support at Spotify and Amazon? I'm a slow learner with tech and may need someone on the phone to help me when I am first setting it up.
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:26 am

heartwood wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:54 pm
FYI, there's a deal for Spotify Premium until year's end for new subscribers or who haven't had it recently.

$9.99 for 3 months

Try it?

+1

I jumped on this.

Lately Spotify has a few promotions similar to this a few times a year. I just jump on the promotional pricing and then cancel.
VTWAX and chill.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:58 am

I've subscribed to Apple Music, Amazon Music Unlimited, and Spotify at times over the past couple of years. I currently subscribe to AMU. I have not tried Google Play - yet.

They are all good, with similar catalogs of music, overall. I mainly listen to albums on these services. If you're into curation of playlists, I agree with earlier comments that Spotify seems to do a better job than Amazon. I'm listening to Spotify's web player and free service to listen to a playlist right now. :happy In general, for curated streaming at work or home (on Wi-Fi), I'm still partial to Pandora's free, ad-supported offering - basically it's just what I'm used to. I've discovered many artists on Pandora and then gone to Amazon - or Spotify or Apple, if that's what I'm subscribing to at the time on a premium basis - to listen to and download more of their music.

I have an iPhone with 128GB of storage, and I love the ability to download songs to it using the Amazon Music app. The sound quality is good, at least to my ears, and I can create my own playlists. Amazon doesn't limit the number of songs you can listen to for offline listening, and Spotify recently increased its limit to 10,000 songs. Amazon's app is much better than when I first experimented with it a couple of years ago.

Amazon had a four months for $0.99 promotion last month, but I think it expired. As you know, this service is for Prime members.

Compared to what we had available a decade ago, the range of music available from these services for ten bucks or so a month (and of course much less with smart use of promotions) is really pretty amazing. :thumbsup I heard a 20-year-old song on a movie soundtrack a couple of days ago that gave me an earworm - I was able to grab it on AMU with a couple of clicks and get it out of my system after a while. :happy
tc101 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 pm
I want to put music on my phone and listen to it in my car by connecting to blue tooth speakers. Reading reviews online I see that I can do this with either Spotify or Amazon Music for about the same price (I have amazon prime). I am not in the Apple system so don't want to use them.

One thing I am not clear on is what music will be stored on the phone and what will stream. With podcasts they load on my phone when I am at home connected to wifi, so I am not doing phone streaming while I drive. Do both Spotify and Amazon Music do this?

Unless someone tells me otherwise I will probably go with Amazon since I already have an Amazon account.

Socrates

Post by Socrates » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:24 pm

I love Spotify.....can stream or download. Stream through my car, home stereo and in my gym. Large selection of music and easy to make playlists. Try it on trial and see if you like.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:22 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:23 am
How about tech support at Spotify and Amazon? I'm a slow learner with tech and may need someone on the phone to help me when I am first setting it up.
If you have bluetooth in car
Go to settings ,add phone
make sure bluetooth is turned on for phone.
Car should find the phone
may need to accept a code.
Once connected,
Open the spotify or bluetooth app on your phone
Play music
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Dont have experience with Spotify but have been happy with Amazon Music. I've also downloaded songs on my wife's phone to save data. I see the paid version being advertised at 99 cents for 3 months. I dont really have a need for the paid version but seems like a good deal if you want to try it out.

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:05 pm

Prior to switching from Alexa to HomePod, I tried spotify and amazon music paid and non-paid. To be honest, the paid is obviously a lot better, but the free versions are not terrible, if you are ok listening to an add on spotify and having less of a library with free amazon music.

I actually liked the amazon music app better. Sometimes I miss the amazon music app with apple.

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:45 pm

With the free versions can you download play lists to your phone so you are not streaming in your car?

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:45 pm
With the free versions can you download play lists to your phone so you are not streaming in your car?
Not with Spotify, that I know. I don't know what Amazon allows.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:51 pm

Happy long time Pandora user here in both car and home. About $5/ month.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:02 pm

I find I use TuneIn Radio much more than Spotify, but I have both.
TuneIn Premium allows commercial free radio, audio news (MSNBC, Bloomberg, Fox) but I use it to listen to favorite radio stations (KSBR, MVY Radio, French Jazz and Lounge, etc). Streaming never goes beyond my monthly limits so there's no cost to stream and I get exposure to new music. At work, I listen to Jazz and have an hourly news break which adds some rhythm to the day.
To answer your question,m I prefer Spotify to Amazon, but I would choose TuneIn Radio over Spotify if I could only have one service.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Drovor

Post by Drovor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:18 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:47 pm
tc101 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:45 pm
Not with Spotify, that I know. I don't know what Amazon allows.
Amazon you can download with the free version.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am

heartwood wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:57 pm
or if you've never subscribed, here's a 3 month trial of Premium for $0.99 total.

Excellent, thanks!

I've been a FLAC (lossless) music hoarder for far too long and as a result I've got over 500 GB on one of my hard drives. It's just too much to listen to, let alone trying to find time to discover new artists. Increasingly I find myself only enjoying a few songs per album. The last time I remember listening to a new album start to finish and actually enjoying every song was in 2012.

I just don't have time for managing the catalog anymore. It's going to be a pain to get set up on Spotify but I need the simplicity, and a chance to go through everything and pare it down. Surprisingly Spotify has everything that I listen to (except for a few artists who are anti-streaming), including obscure folk metal bands that most people have never heard of. The playlists also seem quite good; much better than Pandora which seems to play the same 30 songs on repeat. I never thought younger me would say this, but one man simply does not need a music collection with a length measured in months.

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 am

I really enjoy Spotify.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 am

Amazon Music (Free Version) through Amazon Prime...After retirement, I became a professional musician and have a rehearsal studio at home. We have an Amazon Dot connected to the studio sound system which works very well...

Also use Amazon Music in our whole house Sonos system...Very satisfied...

Summit
“Got my mind on my money, and my money on my mind!” Snoop Dog

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:21 am

Love Spotify - we have had Amazon, Pandora, and Spotify for years. Spotify gets the most love and is the one I keep (the others I drop from time to time).

Easy to use, lots of good curated playlists plus easy to build your own. Good selection.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

JEC

Post by JEC » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am

tea_pirate wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am
heartwood wrote:

Excellent, thanks!

I've been a FLAC (lossless) music hoarder for far too long and as a result I've got over 500 GB on one of my hard drives. It's just too much to listen to, let alone trying to find time to discover new artists. Increasingly I find myself only enjoying a few songs per album. The last time I remember listening to a new album start to finish and actually enjoying every song was in 2012.

I just don't have time for managing the catalog anymore. It's going to be a pain to get set up on Spotify but I need the simplicity, and a chance to go through everything and pare it down. Surprisingly Spotify has everything that I listen to (except for a few artists who are anti-streaming), including obscure folk metal bands that most people have never heard of. The playlists also seem quite good; much better than Pandora which seems to play the same 30 songs on repeat. I never thought younger me would say this, but one man simply does not need a music collection with a length measured in months.
tea_pirate, I was in a very similar situation with tens of thousands of songs (albeit with 320kbps MP3s and not FLAC music) and ended up switching to Spotify. Definitely try it out and never go back. I can't believe I stubbornly held on to managing a local library for so long when there are so few benefits to doing so.

Some recommendations/random thoughts:
1) It's not a pain to get set up on Spotify. Don't try to add everything from your library to Spotify and then pare it down. Start from scratch and just add the music you absolutely love. Spotify will fill in the rest. The beauty of streaming is that even if you don't "add" it to your library, it's still there and can be accessed any time. So that eliminates the need to hold onto music "just in case."

2) Don't worry about Spotify not being FLAC. Can you really hear the difference? If I'm being honest, I can't, and I have the equipment that would be able to reveal the difference. 99.9% of people can blind A/B and tell the difference. And that negligible difference wouldn't significantly increase the amount of enjoyment you get from music anyway, IMO.

3) Their playlists really are great. Plus you can start a radio station based on any song, artist, or any playlist and not have to choose your music. This is one perk I never would have imagined. I love not having to pick out what to listen to. It's just one less decision to make.

All in all, Spotify has been great. You're going to love the simplicity it brings and the liberation from not having to manage a library (and then store a back-up). And the library exists independently so you can access it from any device and switch seamlessly between. Stop managing the library and start enjoying the music :beer

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:32 am

I used Spotify Premium for about 2 years in grad school, and I used Amazon Music for the past 6 months. I believe I was able to find a lot more interesting music through Spotify and their recommendations, which was really cool. I found dozens of new bands that I had no idea existed. Amazon Music tries to do some recommendations, but it wasn't nearly as good as Spotify in my opinion. However, Amazon did have pretty much everything (at least for me) that Spotify had, so if you know what you like and aren't really interested in having stuff recommended to you, then $8 for AM vs $10 for Spotify might be a good deal.

tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:44 am

JEC wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:41 am
tea_pirate wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:13 am
heartwood wrote:

Excellent, thanks!

tea_pirate, I was in a very similar situation with tens of thousands of songs (albeit with 320kbps MP3s and not FLAC music) and ended up switching to Spotify. Definitely try it out and never go back. I can't believe I stubbornly held on to managing a local library for so long when there are so few benefits to doing so.

Some recommendations/random thoughts:
1) It's not a pain to get set up on Spotify. Don't try to add everything from your library to Spotify and then pare it down. Start from scratch and just add the music you absolutely love. Spotify will fill in the rest. The beauty of streaming is that even if you don't "add" it to your library, it's still there and can be accessed any time. So that eliminates the need to hold onto music "just in case."

2) Don't worry about Spotify not being FLAC. Can you really hear the difference? If I'm being honest, I can't, and I have the equipment that would be able to reveal the difference. 99.9% of people can blind A/B and tell the difference. And that negligible difference wouldn't significantly increase the amount of enjoyment you get from music anyway, IMO.

3) Their playlists really are great. Plus you can start a radio station based on any song, artist, or any playlist and not have to choose your music. This is one perk I never would have imagined. I love not having to pick out what to listen to. It's just one less decision to make.

All in all, Spotify has been great. You're going to love the simplicity it brings and the liberation from not having to manage a library (and then store a back-up). And the library exists independently so you can access it from any device and switch seamlessly between. Stop managing the library and start enjoying the music :beer
Good tips, thanks. Yes I do find myself holding onto files "just in case" and that seems to be a core contributor to my library being too large.

I can easily tell the difference between 320 kbps mp3 and FLAC by listening for the cymbals, but it's more of a trick in that I really have to look for it and it doesn't affect my enjoyment. 90% of my listening these days is in at work, in the car, or somewhere else where lossless just doesn't matter due to the environment or equipment I have at hand.

I'm planning on signing up tonight, I'm sure in a couple days I'll be wondering why I didn't make the switch years ago.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 pm

heartwood wrote:

Amazon Prime offers the 3-month trial for $0.99 too:

Http://amazon.com/trynow

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:58 pm

I went to sign up for Spotify but got a message saying "Spotify is currently not available in your country. I am in the USA. I tried it on two different computers. What is going on?

Topic Author
tc101

Post by tc101 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:05 pm

I just learned about a big difference between Spotify and Amazon music. If I had a problem on Amazon there would be an easy to find phone number to call tech support. That does not exist on Spotify.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:33 pm

tc101 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:05 pm
I just learned about a big difference between Spotify and Amazon music. If I had a problem on Amazon there would be an easy to find phone number to call tech support. That does not exist on Spotify.
Since you are an Amazon Prime member, have you tried Amazon Prime Music, the free service? In my experience, it is the same process/same app as the paid service. The paid service, Amazon Music unlimited, obviously has vastly more songs.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:15 pm

heartwood wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:40 pm
I've tried Spotify, Amazon and Google Play Music. If I were starting now I'd probably go Spotify since I like their curating better.
Your phone should have a setting to play only downloaded music.
Curating?

I like Google Play music because it has the best radio mixes, and I can discover new music that way.
Ad-free youtube is a great bonus.
Spotify has been very underwhelming, and even listening to mostly "underground" music, doesn't have any better selection that Google Play.

IMO there's no difference in interface, and Google Play's integration with android auto is better than Spotify (not that surprising).

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:18 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 pm
heartwood wrote:

Amazon Prime offers the 3-month trial for $0.99 too:

Http://amazon.com/trynow
the Spotify one comes w/ a free google home mini; for new accounts only:
https://slickdeals.net/f/12280186-new-s ... =frontpage

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:38 pm

tc101 wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:13 pm
You can use Apple Music on an Android phone. Just download the Apple Music app for your Android and you're set. :beer
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:24 pm

This thread reminded me of how I get a kick out of playing my own music (part-time musician) on Spotify. So I was fully prepared to recommend that service for admittedly selfish reasons...but before doing that, I felt it was incumbent upon me to review what respective rates the different services paid to artists.

Turns out both Apple and Amazon pay artists over twice what Spotify pays. So...if artist reimbursement means anything to you, there y'go :beer
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm

heartwood wrote:

$9.99 for 3 months

Try it?
Does it have commercials?

mikeyzito22

Post by mikeyzito22 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:32 pm

Cycle wrote:

YouTube premium doesn't have "All the music," in fact it has much much less than either Spotify or Amazon music. Spotify has the most songs for any subscription-based streaming service as of Sunday December, 16.

NickNack

Post by NickNack » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Spotify or Apple Music. If already integrated into the apple landscape then Apple Music would be my preference otherwise Spotify.

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:34 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:31 pm
heartwood wrote:

$9.99 for 3 months

Try it?
Does it have commercials?
It does not.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai