Management companies for landlords, pricing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
masonstone

Management companies for landlords, pricing?

Post by masonstone » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am

How much do management companies typically charge for managing a rental for a landlord?

Jack FFR1846

Re: Management companies for landlords, pricing?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:58 am

When I rented my house out back in the late 80's, they charged me 5% of rent.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

euroswiss

Post by euroswiss » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:14 am

masonstone wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:56 am
How much do management companies typically charge for managing a rental for a landlord?
This varies by local standards, quality of property,etc but a good ballpark number is 8-10% of rent plus, typically, up to a full month’s rent as lease-up fee (for finding, vetting, placing the tenant).
Some also take a cut (usually 10%) of any repair and maintenance work that they coordinate.
Most, or all of these number may be negotiable and will also depend on your portfolio size (if you bring 25 rental properties to the deal you will likely get more breaks than with just one or two).

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:37 pm

The company in The Villages, Florida, gets top dollar for the rentals, but they charge 20%. They help coordinate repairs, etc., for no additional charge. They also charge $50 for any complete month in which the house is vacant. They monitor the home and go through it flushing toilets, running water, monitoring the heat and air, etc., during any month when the house is not rented or used by the owners.

gasdoc