Where have the turtleneck base layer shirts gone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
black jack

Where have the turtleneck base layer shirts gone?

Post by black jack » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 am

Many years ago I picked up a couple of Duotherm polyester ("thermastat") turtleneck shirts for a ski trip; these became my all-time favorite winter shirts. They're form-fitting yet comfortable, stretchy, are perfect alone or as a base layer for cold-weather activities (especially biking), and the double layer of cloth around my throat feels comforting in the cold.

But nothing lasts forever, and the fabric in the neck has lost its resiliency, leaving my neck open to cold air. So I've gone in search of a replacement, without success. It seems that turtleneck shirts for active wear (i.e., not made of cotton) have fallen out of fashion. All I see are 1/4 zip mock turtlenecks. I want the real thing.

Can anyone best Google on this, and point me to a good turtleneck technical shirt? Or must I trade in turtles(necks) for (neck) gaiters?
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

Elena

Re: Where have the turtleneck base layer shirts gone?

Post by Elena » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:31 am

In case you want to give it a try, Icebreaker makes very good wool models. I have long switched to wool for the first layer, even during the summer (I wear cotton as well). My wool winter layers are almost ten years old, and I have only had to mend one long john's small hole.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:57 am

No experience with it but I think this is what you want: https://www.amazon.com/Under-Armour-Col ... B00029BMDI

goaties

Post by goaties » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:17 am

I have a couple "polypro" turtlenecks I got from Cabela's years ago and nothing beats them. I had no idea they were becoming an endangered species. Maybe I'll have to buy a couple this weekend myself!

Whenever something I want appears to have lost mainstream appeal, I tend to find it on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Helly-Hansen-L ... rk:33:pf:0

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:51 am

People use buffs now instead. Sold everywhere. More useful. www.buffusa.com
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

bryansmile

Post by bryansmile » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:00 am

black jack wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:03 am
Can anyone best Google on this, and point me to a good turtleneck technical shirt? Or must I trade in turtles(necks) for (neck) gaiters?
Here you go...
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/fitte ... pid1320807

cruzbay

Post by cruzbay » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:11 am

Uniqlo offers great technical layer pieces in their HeatTech collection. They are lightweight and warm. Here is a link to the Men's turtleneck:
https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-heatte ... collection

I have worn their layers (leggings, tanks and long-sleeves) for years and they wash and wear like iron, especially for the very reasonable price. They also pack like a dream. I can roll them and stuff them into shoes, etc. Also, for the warmer weather, they have a collection called AIRism.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:17 am

Lands End and LL Bean both have thermaskin turtleneck offerings.

You can also try silk or wool.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

batpot

Post by batpot » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:27 pm

I much prefer the quarter zip variants for inside/outside or active/not active temperature regulation.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:26 pm

This might not qualify as a turtleneck, but it is a good piece of clothing as described below.

I bought an Under Armor Cold Gear fitted long sleeve shirt at Dicks Sporting Goods about a month ago for $50. This is the first time I have owned anything like this, and I am ready to buy a second one. I wear it for working in the yard on cold days and hiking on cold days. I wore it once for running when it was 38 degrees. I had a sweatshirt on also. After about a mile, I was so warm that I took the sweatshirt off.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:28 pm

Where they really went is Out-of-Style :) That's why they are now harder to find.

Feb29

Post by Feb29 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:12 pm

I'm a big fan of Smartwool neck gaiters. They give me a lot more flexibility than a turtleneck.

coupleofcents

Post by coupleofcents » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:15 pm

This is what I imagine with turtle necks.
Last edited by coupleofcents on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:28 pm

C9 (Champion) from Target. Cheap, compression base layer. Not a full turtleneck, but a higher regular neck. Very form fitting.

Its what I always wear while biking when the temperature is cold (Socal, mid 50's :happy ). I add a wind breaker if the temp is in the 40's -- not very often, even in the dead of winter.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago