2019-Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE /w JBL,Driver Assist - Negotiate

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sforce.anilg

2019-Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE /w JBL,Driver Assist - Negotiate

Post by sforce.anilg » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi,

I really wanted to know whether the price I have negotiated is fair or ripped. I have dealer asking MSRP: $38,284 for the following feature set of the car -
Trim: XLE
Upgrades: JBL Nav/Audio, Driver Assist, Moonroof (Dealer price these upgrades $4,600.

I have negotiated final OTD price: 38,952, which is about ~5% below MSRP. I see the forums specifying to negotiate price 6-10% below MSRP.

Are there any buyers that have paid less than what I have negotiated price? Is this fair price?

ssquared87

Re: 2019-Toyota Camry Hybrid XLE /w JBL,Driver Assist - Negotiate

Post by ssquared87 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 pm

Any price for a Camry is a rip off. Get an Accord or Mazda 6 instead

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 am

ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 pm
We test drove both the Accord and Camry. The Accord had the most uncomfortable seats I've been in in quite a long time. After 10 minutes of test driving I told my wife if she wanted the car, she was driving alone. Can't comment on the Mazda. I'm not a fan of sedans in general. The Camry is very low - I drove it today for a couple of hours and felt like I was driving a go-kart. But I have been driving a RAV4 for 10 years so I'm used to being up higher.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Misenplace

Post by Misenplace » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:38 am

Have you reviewed this post, including the replies and related links. Very useful- I used this strategy to ensure I was getting the best price possible at the time.

viewtopic.php?t=124638

Edited to add link.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:41 am

There are some very good threads in this forum regarding optimal negotiation strategies in buying a new car. I have used them quite successfully.

I suggest that you search for them , if you have not yet finalized your deal. They really worked for me.

And if you have finalized your deal, I wish you luck with your new car. Forget about whether you got a good deal or not- no use crying over spilled milk. Whatever you paid it was worth it to you, so forget it and have fun driving it.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:07 am

My eyes popped at that price, but it's largely because you're paying a $5000+ premium for the V6. The base four-cylinder is perfectly adequate and more efficient. If you cared about performance you probably wouldn't be looking at a Camry.

There's nothing "wrong" with the Camry, the problem with spending close to $40K is you could be driving a much nicer car. You could have an Audi A4 for the same price (or even much less, for an '18). There are any number of other cars I'd look at before spending that kind of money on a Camry.

Also, paying extra for navigation is a waste. I've used many factory navigation systems. Not a single one works remotely as well as Google Maps - which you can use for free on the Camry (the '19 model has Carplay).

researcher

Post by researcher » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:33 am

sforce.anilg wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:17 pm
I have dealer asking MSRP: $38,284 for the following feature set of the car -
I have negotiated final OTD price: 38,952, which is about ~5% below MSRP. I see the forums specifying to negotiate price 6-10% below MSRP.
Are there any buyers that have paid less than what I have negotiated price? Is this fair price?
Spending nearly $40,000 on a Toyota Camry is complete insanity in my opinion.

Notgreg

Post by Notgreg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am

Since you’re buying the hybrid, ignore the comment about the premium for the v6. That poster probably didn’t catch the “hybrid” part of the title. But if I were you I’d strongly consider the advice regarding the upgraded nav: probably not worth it IF you have an iPhone.

FWIW, we’ve just sealed a deal on a 2019 XLE hybrid without the integrated nav/driver assist upgrades for 32,400 out-the-door (and that’s including a 7% sales tax). Used the Internet sales inquiry technique you can find in other threads, and it worked well.

If you plan on driving it for a long time and like the styling of the Camry, go for it. I suspect in your case you might be overpaying twice—paying a bit too much for the packages you’ve selected, and paying for packages that might not be necessary for the performance you’re looking for. Have you driven and XLe hybrid without those packages to see firsthand whether they are worth having at that price?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:57 am

I configured your car on carsdirect.com to get an idea of pricing. This is a buying service so should represent a “good” price but you should be able to beat even this price with some negotiation. Here are the numbers:

MSRP PRICING:$38,215
INVOICE PRICING:$35,761
Target Price:$35,461

There may be some additional options on your car that make the price a little higher, but as a ballpark, you should be targeting getting at least $3k off the sticker price in my opinion. It looks like they are selling at below invoice (there is a $750 rebate).

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

sforce.anilg wrote:
Hi,

I really wanted to know whether the price I have negotiated is fair or ripped. I have dealer asking MSRP: $38,284 for the following feature set of the car -
Upgrades: JBL Nav/Audio, Driver Assist, Moonroof (Dealer price these upgrades $4,600.

I bought 2018 Camry XLE earlier in the year. Of the things you List, the only thing I don’t have is JBL stereo and nav. My price was 30k OTD. You must have some other things to bring it that high.

P.s. just reread the title. - Hybrid brings the price up 4or 5 thousand.

To me this sound a grand or two high. Does OTD price include everything?

sforce.anilg

Post by sforce.anilg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm

Dottie57 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am
sforce.anilg wrote:
Hi,

I bought 2018 Camry XLE earlier in the year. Of the things you List, the only thing I don’t have is JBL stereo and nav. My price was 30k OTD. You must have some other things to bring it that high.

Thank you for advice. I had feeling that something wrong with price. And yes, according to dealer, the OTD price includes all taxes, registration and doc fees.

I think I may have change of mind here on Camry. The reason I was purchasing was due to very long commute for the work.

sforce.anilg

Post by sforce.anilg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Notgreg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:48 am
Since you’re buying the hybrid, ignore the comment about the premium for the v6. That poster probably didn’t catch the “hybrid” part of the title. But if I were you I’d strongly consider the advice regarding the upgraded nav: probably not worth it IF you have an iPhone.

FWIW, we’ve just sealed a deal on a 2019 XLE hybrid without the integrated nav/driver assist upgrades for 32,400 out-the-door (and that’s including a 7% sales tax). Used the Internet sales inquiry technique you can find in other threads, and it worked well.

If you plan on driving it for a long time and like the styling of the Camry, go for it. I suspect in your case you might be overpaying twice—paying a bit too much for the packages you’ve selected, and paying for packages that might not be necessary for the performance you’re looking for. Have you driven and XLe hybrid without those packages to see firsthand whether they are worth having at that price?
Thanks for the info. I too, do not wanted Navigation but I liked Driver Assist Package. I need to restart :happy

Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:27 pm

sforce.anilg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
sforce.anilg wrote:
Hi,

Thank you for advice. I had feeling that something wrong with price. And yes, according to dealer, the OTD price includes all taxes, registration and doc fees.

I think I may have change of mind here on Camry. The reason I was purchasing was due to very long commute for the work.
I think that's a very nice car. However, if I was in the market, I'd shoot for $35k out the door.

Good luck in your continued search!

sforce.anilg

Post by sforce.anilg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:29 pm

jebmke wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:07 am
ssquared87 wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:25 pm
We test drove both the Accord and Camry. The Accord had the most uncomfortable seats I've been in in quite a long time. After 10 minutes of test driving I told my wife if she wanted the car, she was driving alone. Can't comment on the Mazda. I'm not a fan of sedans in general. The Camry is very low - I drove it today for a couple of hours and felt like I was driving a go-kart. But I have been driving a RAV4 for 10 years so I'm used to being up higher.
I did like 2018 Honda-Accord-Hybrid, I was negotiating with dealer and he didn't wanted to negotiate below $31,742 for Touring Model. OTD Price: 34k. Is that good price that everyone paid? I may start new thread for Honda-Accord-Hybrid Price.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:17 pm

sforce.anilg wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:20 pm
Dottie57 wrote:
sforce.anilg wrote:
Hi,

This is my 3rd Camry. My 2nd was a Hybrid.

I really love the NEW XLE. I just could not afford both XLE and Hybrid, so I went with XLE as retirement has more than halved my driving miles.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm

Camry sales were down a whopping 29% in November. Dealers should be willing to work to the bone to cut you a deal if you push.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm

I would make an offer to several dealers OTD well below that price and see who comes the closest.

William4u

Post by William4u » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Alexa9 wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:03 pm
I would make an offer to several dealers OTD well below that price and see who comes the closest.
This is what I did. When I just asked a dealer for their best price, it was $5k more than what I ended up paying after I did competitive OTD-price bidding from the 12 closest toyota dealers.

I pretty much used the "fighting chance" method discussed here...

viewtopic.php?t=228225

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:37 pm

Hardly anyone wants to buy sedans right now due to the CUV craze plus sales are mostly flat to slightly down for 2018 compared to 2017. I'd go 15% off MSRP then add the tax, etc. back on. Tax, registration, and other fees are all set by the state and aren't negotiated where I live so out the door pricing doesn't do much. The days when dealers could command above list for a loaded Camry or Accord are no longer with us.

I didn't go through all the process of emailing multiple dealers when I bought an Accord in September. I used the above strategy and when the sales guy started to stammer I just said I noticed he had 100 cars on the lot and there were likewise hundreds more Accords at other dealers. I'd be willing to go up a little to avoid the hassle, but I'd also go play the game if he wanted me to. I ended up giving him $500 more but was done within 2 hours. Maybe I could have kept $100 or $200 more but I value my free time at about $50/hour (conservatively) and I didn't have to set up burner email accounts and cell phone numbers or make this the focus of my life for a few weeks.

sforce.anilg

Post by sforce.anilg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:31 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:47 pm
Camry sales were down a whopping 29% in November. Dealers should be willing to work to the bone to cut you a deal if you push.
Good Point