Travel now & work a bit longer, OR the other way around?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortfun

Travel now & work a bit longer, OR the other way around?

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm

We have big travel plans that could delay retirement a few years. Should we travel now when we know we are healthy, capable, and can enjoy time with the kids? Curious to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

I'm 45, DW is 47. Kids 10 & 12. Could have a modest retirement at 50. Travel plans could delay that to 52 or so. A few more years like today's stock market could delay it further ;)

Nutella Junkie

Re: Travel now & work a bit longer, OR the other way around?

Post by Nutella Junkie » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Travel now, within reason. Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:18 pm

Travel now.

kayakprof

Post by kayakprof » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm

I just had this conversation with my DW last night. We lean heavily toward travel now. Both age 45, two kids are under 10. Unlike the OP, however, we have little chance of retiring in the 50-52 range. More like the 58 - 62 range. Largely we feel we can't retire until we understand how college will be paid for. So we will be traveling as much as possible while funding a goal of retiring around age 60. This year our travel included a week in DC, a week in Philly, 8 weeks in Colorado (summer travel - we are teachers), a week in Boston/Maine, Thanksgiving in NC, and 10 days in the FL Keys. Much of this was travel to family. Our kids aren't ready for international travel yet - but possibly soon.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Are you planning a trip to the Moon on SpaceX?

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:50 pm

If you already have your travel plans then you must have spent a lot of time on it. Especially considering it may be a few years. So I think you answers your own question.
Now if this is just a thought and you really have no plans then there is no reason you can't mix travel with continuing work. That is the way most people do it.

ahnathan

Post by ahnathan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm

50 is still young. Kids are still young.

Work and take them on trips.

Never know if "a bit longer" will even happen.

I don't understand people who make hard sacrifices so they can retire early to enjoy life (not saying this is you). Why not just live reasonably and enjoy life the whole time?

bradpevans

Post by bradpevans » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:07 pm

fortfun wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:11 pm
We have big travel plans that could delay retirement a few years. Should we travel now when we know we are healthy, capable, and can enjoy time with the kids? Curious to hear others' thoughts on this matter.

I'm 45, DW is 47. Kids 10 & 12. Could have a modest retirement at 50. Travel plans could delay that to 52 or so. A few more years like today's stock market could delay it further ;)
I'd probably do the travel. Delaying a few years mean:
do the travel now
add to retirement two more years (assuming some sort of 401k)
delay spending retirement funds (at least) two more years.

celia

Post by celia » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm

Why don't you do both: travel now but make it reasonable cost and not that expensive. For example camping will build lots of memories.

Then you could probably travel and still retire about the same time you are currently planning.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:16 pm

kayakprof wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:31 pm
I just had this conversation with my DW last night. We lean heavily toward travel now. Both age 45, two kids are under 10. Unlike the OP, however, we have little chance of retiring in the 50-52 range. More like the 58 - 62 range. Largely we feel we can't retire until we understand how college will be paid for. So we will be traveling as much as possible while funding a goal of retiring around age 60. This year our travel included a week in DC, a week in Philly, 8 weeks in Colorado (summer travel - we are teachers), a week in Boston/Maine, Thanksgiving in NC, and 10 days in the FL Keys. Much of this was travel to family. Our kids aren't ready for international travel yet - but possibly soon.
Lucky you are both teachers! I'm the only teacher in my family :) Wish my wife had a pension too. PM me if you need any info about traveling in CO.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 pm

J G Bankerton wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:36 pm
No, just Galapagos, Safari, Katmai, etc. They seem almost as expensive :)
Last edited by fortfun on Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:19 pm

ahnathan wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:03 pm
50 is still young. Kids are still young.

Work and take them on trips.

Never know if "a bit longer" will even happen.

I don't understand people who make hard sacrifices so they can retire early to enjoy life (not saying this is you). Why not just live reasonably and enjoy life the whole time?
Thanks for the reminder ahnathan.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:22 pm

celia wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:11 pm
Why don't you do both: travel now but make it reasonable cost and not that expensive. For example camping will build lots of memories.

Then you could probably travel and still retire about the same time you are currently planning.
Thanks Celia. We've been doing that the past ten years. I've nearly killed my kids with road trips :) We've got 30 of the 60 national parks under our belts.

I think we are on to bigger and better trips now. But you are correct, we could do Eastern Europe instead of a Safari, for example. We are having that discussion at the moment.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 pm

If you were struggling to make independence by your mid-to-late 60's pencil out, I'd be concerned.

If you're on pace to be financially independent by age 50, I don't see anything wrong with changing your plans by a few years. We all have discretion to balance our near term goals and long term goals within reason.

I don't know if you're talking about a single, extended period of travel, or a series of nice vacation trips over the time between now and retirement. If the former, I think it prudent to consider whether there could be any difficulty returning to work after the long time off.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:25 pm

iamlucky13 wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:23 pm
If you were struggling to make independence by your mid-to-late 60's pencil out, I'd be concerned.

If you're on pace to be financially independent by age 50, I don't see anything wrong with changing your plans by a few years. We all have discretion to balance our near term goals and long term goals within reason.

I don't know if you're talking about a single, extended period of travel, or a series of nice vacation trips over the time between now and retirement. If the former, I think it prudent to consider whether there could be any difficulty returning to work after the long time off.
Mostly, 3-4 week summer vacations. Thanks!

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:16 pm

Travel now.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:29 pm

So glad i traveled in 20s, 30s, way more fun than later
So glad i blew the money
great times

Random Musings

Post by Random Musings » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:19 pm

Travel now and delay retirement by a little bit. Also, as people get older, physical limitations will limit the more strenuous undertakings (yes, there are always exceptions). So being the outdoors type, get those big trips in now!! The trade off makes sense. If you can trade for more "now" time, I would further delay retirement. More time with your kids while they are still kids.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Leverage travel reward credit card bonuses to maximize your travel while minimizing the cost. And continue to save aggressively.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:30 pm

fortfun wrote:

If you retire in 5 years, when you are 50 and your oldest child is 17, you will probably pay less for your children's college. Also, if you travel after your children go to college, you will not have to pay their travel costs.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

aprilcpa

Post by aprilcpa » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:40 am

Another vote for travel now. Our kids are 10 & 11 and we are taking every opportunity to travel with them. One of the best gifts my parents gave me was taking me places - and not Disney World every year!!!

I would feel better working until the second kid starts college before retiring.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:13 am

fortfun wrote:

Not saving is risky. You could wind up destitute during retirement.
Saving is also risky. You could be working your fingers to the bone and then die tomorrow, never enjoying the fruits of your labor.
The bottom line is, life is unpredictable, which makes it all the more interesting.

I traveled constantly when I was young, not worrying much about what tomorrow might bring. It (experience) was a major priority for me. Most of it was on a shoestring... .I didn't have family money and only started earning a decent wage and being "gainfully employed" when I was in my mid to late 30s. I didn't have children until I was almost 40. I would argue that traveling the way I did it ("on a shoestring"- for example, I hitchhiked a lot) made it more rewarding (and challenging).

I am now in my mid-sixties (retired at 55), and as a result, I don't have a bucket list. I had so many rich experiences when I was younger that I don't feel like there are things I have to do before I die. I've seen enough. I only go out of my way to travel now if my traveling has a purpose. I feel freer as a result- so many less things I have to do, and though I am healthy today who knows about tomorrow?

I now realize my choices in my youth came with risks - I did some things that some people would consider pretty crazy- and to a large extent I was lucky. That said, there is nothing wrong with taking risks. If I could do it over I would probably take more, not less. The "risk-reward" ratio that we all know from investing also applies to many other aspects of life, and may be one of the few absolute truths in the universe. And, since you can always die tomorrow, if I took a more proactive and conventional approach to life when I was young, that too would have come with risks that result from lack of life experience.

So IMHO there is no real clear answer to your question of whether or not to postpone joy. You need to decide on your own, and whatever you decide, it will come with risks.
Last edited by protagonist on Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 4 times in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:36 am

fortfun wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:17 pm
J G Bankerton wrote:
Do at least some of the travel last week :wink:
There are no guarantees about the future, whether you'll be here, or in a condition to do the same travel.

Especially... do the travel "sooner rather than later" that requires good health and physical condition, such as safaris, etc.

We waited too long, and regret it.
However, we are doing our very best to "catch up" and do both more "regular/relaxing" trips as well as some special ones.
And we are having the time of our lives!
(I am writing this from a view of the Caribbean, from on board a very lovely cruise ship. Yesterday, we chartered a large catamaran, shared with some fellow passengers, to sail around one of the islands all day.)
This is our "off season" R&R trip, including a very significant b-day for DH.
It's also much less expensive than the exact same cruise, but in January/etc.

Once a year now, we are taking a special trip, such as a multi-week private tour of Japan. (It was The.Most.Amazing.Trip - expensive, and we don't regret spending one cent, so many ultra-special experiences we'd not have discovered or been able to do "on our own".)

But we probably will not be able to get to that safari, or that trip to Antarctica, although we are discussing it (including discussions with some physicians... there's the rub... alas...).
And no matter what medical sign-offs we get, or special planning, there are just some active trips that we no longer can do.
I did some backpacking when in grad school (including "little trips" with very young children, whose backpacks included footed pj's, blankies, and a tiny stuffed animal, plus the requisite Sierra Cup dangling :happy - the adults each carried a tent and two sleeping bags, etc.), and now wish I had continued some of that much later... meaning prior to "too late"...
But keep in mind, you may not know

We used to take "vacations" that were little more than weekends before or after business/conference trips, and the "big ones" were before AND after business/conference trips. :(

You don't need to "do it all" while you are still younger, but don't "put it all off until later".

It sounds like you are well enough established that delaying retirement (an *early* retirement, don't forget) a bit won't derail things, so you enjoy life more throughout more years.

Read the post by protagonist here on BH, entitled "Priorities".
Yes, read it.

Enjoy those travels, throughout all the years!

ETA: I see protagonist chimed in while I was writing.
But do read that post entitled "Priorities". He had a heart attack en route to an overseas trip...

Rm
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:21 am

fortfun wrote:
J G Bankerton wrote:

Those trips are only trips. In other words they are limited overall in time. If you are thinking of two years of travel you will have to expand on those three by a huge margin. Even if you did a month each place, which is way more than most, you are still a long way from two years.
Two years of travel is more like some blogging backpacker. Not too many families, with 50 and over adults, will be traveling for two years.

Again, you can do all those probably while still maintaining your present life style. No need to drop years of employment. However, you could drop those two years of IRAs, ROTHs, 401 contributtions to fund those trips.
In other words, you can almost have it all.

wannabebogler

Post by wannabebogler » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:44 am

My body broke down at 40. I'm looking at trips I had thought about doing in retirement, and I don't think I could handle the travel even now due to my back. One man's opinion but I definitely regret saving more and foregoing trips when I was younger.

Ben Mathew

Post by Ben Mathew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:35 pm

One advantage of spreading your travel over your working years rather than doing a big chunk is that it has a bigger impact. 10 days in France this year and 10 days in Morocco next year will probably have more psychological impact than 10 days in France + 10 days in Morocco on the same trip. Of course, it's more expensive to take many small trips because of the fixed costs of airfare, both in time and money. But other expenses like hotel and food are per day, so the difference might work out to be tolerable.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Traveling doesn't have to be expensive if you plan it yourself, don't eat out every meal, and pick cheaper countries.

My wife and I travel very frequently offsetting any of my low carbon bike commuting and then some... But we travel very cheaply knowing the most memorable things are free.

If you want to eat at a michlin 5 star restaurant, just cook meals the previous few days at the airbnb. A $400 meal won't break the budget if you only eat out a handful of times on a trip.

I'm going to sound very FRUGAL here, but when we spent a week in Iceland we only ate out once and that was at the countries busiest restaurant, Ikea. We brought a suitcase full of food and camped or glamped every night but the last.

Often we tack a week onto business trips, which saves some airfare.

helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:24 pm

fortfun wrote:

Travel now. Your kids are at an age where these life experiences will help shape who they become.

If you wait till 50-52 to travel - kids will be 17/19yo. Will they be able to go? It might be harder to plan a long trip around college or whatever senior year high school things happen.

jpohio

Post by jpohio » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:54 pm

Go now. We went to Galapagos this year and Katmai in 2015, glad we did them and wish we had gone sooner. I am 67, DW is 66. Both trips are amazing, you will not regret going now.

AerialWombat

Post by AerialWombat » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:26 pm

Travel now. Life is short. YOLO.

I spent my mid-30’s traveling around the world, working little (online). I was perpetually broke, with zero retirement savings.

It was worth it all the way. Zero regrets.

I’ve caught up and will FIRE in a couple more years, at 43.

Watty

Post by Watty » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:00 pm

fortfun wrote:
J G Bankerton wrote:
Those are all very expensive destinations that would be difficult to do on a modest budget. There may be few other kids on the trips and some tour groups may not even allow kids as young as yours.

I would take a hard look at doing a lot of traveling now but to less expensive destinations. Except for airfare I have found that I can travel in most parts of Southern Europe for less than it costs to travel in the US especially outside the big cities. I can usually find very acceptable, or even very nice, hotels for less than $100 a night for a couple.

One of the great things about Europe is that if you look for them a budget hotel is likely a small family owned business that if nice even if it is not fancy. In the US a budget hotel is likely something like a Motel 6. Some other parts of the world are even less expensive.

There are other parts of the world that are even less expensive.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for the thoughtful and encouraging answers everyone! I thoroughly enjoyed reading them.
Many thanks,
Fort Fun

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 pm

Safari and Galapagos can be done very inexpensively.

Kruger is a public park and lodgings and safaris can be booked online, very economical. I recommend the hiking safaris, though a park ranger was killed by an elephant the day after we did one.

Galapagos islands are cheaper than the carribean, the flight there is just expensive. if you book a cruise in advance you'll get gringo rates, but booking in Puerto ayora day B4 departure will run u a fraction of the cost. You're paying for certainty, but if u plan a few extra days there you will certainly be able to get a last minute deal.

Traveling is expensive no doubt, but somehow people with very small budgets are able to do it for years at a time. Pretend you have a small budget.

kolea

Post by kolea » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:27 pm

Travel now.

DW and I had lots of travel plans queued up for retirement but since retiring, a good chunk of those plans had to be delayed due to medical issues. Strike while the iron is hot.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:55 pm

Put me in the travel now camp.

I will say, I did everything I could to max our 401k and/or other tax advantaged savings our whole life, but found ways to enjoy some great family trips. We took the kids to Italy with us three times during the tweens and teens plus some coast / Disneyworld trips.

We did cut back seriously when the kids entered college.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:05 am

Travel now. I'm in my 30's and know a few folks around my age who passed on in recent years. You never know what life may throw at you. I have a family member who worked a job they hated until pension age, saving hard and putting off travel, and have since traveled extensively the past decade or so. Sounds like a great retirement but they also got lucky with health and good fortune. I wouldn't put my eggs in one basket, keep a balance. Travel a little now, save a little now.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:48 am

fortfun wrote:
just Galapagos, Safari, Katmai, etc. They seem almost as expensive :)
I'm all for travel now too but unless you were considering a back-country backpacking at Katmai, all three of the trips you listed are really geared towards those who don't need to be physically in shape, i.e. they would be well suited for someone in their retirement years. Personally I would check all those vacation destination boxes that require some degree of physical fitness now and save the cream puff trips for later.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 am

Nutella Junkie wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:16 pm
Travel now, within reason. Tomorrow is not guaranteed to any of us.
+1. Travel now, responsibly. Meaning don't overspend your retirement funds, but travel now. Health is not a guarantee.
Humbling BH contest results: 2017: #516 of 647 | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:45 am

Both, travel now and later. Work an extra year or two. Most importantly, tell you children what a great job it looks like being a flight attendant or pilot for an airline that offers free travel benefits for parents so that you will have free air travel :D

Can't help you with Galapagos on the cheap, after studying the trip, I concluding that people shouldn't go there unless they are scientists.

Safari on the other hand, has modest priced options at South African National parks.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX