Pixel 3 early adopters: any feedback?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sidney

Pixel 3 early adopters: any feedback?

Post by Sidney » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:35 pm

I'm interested in feedback from anyone who has been using the Google Pixel 3 (not the XL) since it came out.

Thanks in advance.

Sid
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

FoolishJumper

Re: Pixel 3 early adopters: any feedback?

Post by FoolishJumper » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm

Love it. Seems smaller than my pixel 2, even though it's not - I think because the screen is larger for the exact same size phone.

One problem I came upon is most tempered glass screen protectors don't fit properly, since Google has now gotten rid of the edges of the screen (it's now a 5.5" instead of 5" for the pixel in the same sized phone), so the old 2-3mm border on the side that was outside of the lit screen is now part of the screen, so there are reviews of the current generation of screen protectors being right on the edge where the q and p are on the keyboard. That meant I got the old kind of screen protector that is flexible and installed with water instead of the newer kind of tempered glass, which I prefer. Not a big issue but a bit annoying when I discovered after having ordered the phone. That said, I'm pretty protector and case picky as I can then be pretty careless with my phone. I probably drop it weekly and my pixel 2 doesn't have a single scratch after 13 months.

Any specific questions? Of course the camera is great and noticeably better than my GF's iPhone X.

c1over8

Post by c1over8 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:02 pm

FoolishJumper wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm
Love it. Seems smaller than my pixel 2, even though it's not - I think because the screen is larger for the exact same size phone.

One problem I came upon is most tempered glass screen protectors don't fit properly, since Google has now gotten rid of the edges of the screen (it's now a 5.5" instead of 5" for the pixel in the same sized phone), so the old 2-3mm border on the side that was outside of the lit screen is now part of the screen, so there are reviews of the current generation of screen protectors being right on the edge where the q and p are on the keyboard. That meant I got the old kind of screen protector that is flexible and installed with water instead of the newer kind of tempered glass, which I prefer. Not a big issue but a bit annoying when I discovered after having ordered the phone. That said, I'm pretty protector and case picky as I can then be pretty careless with my phone. I probably drop it weekly and my pixel 2 doesn't have a single scratch after 13 months.

Any specific questions? Of course the camera is great and noticeably better than my GF's iPhone X.
I just got the pixel 3 and have this problem with my case and hadn't had a chance to look into whether it was a faulty case. Now it makes sense, thanks. I often type a 9 when trying to hit the 0. I guess I'll get used to it.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:26 pm

My wife ordered her's Thanksgiving, I hope we get it in a week.
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:48 pm

I got my Pixel 3 128 GB last week. No problems with it. I am using Google Fi and upgraded from a Pixel (1).

Afty

Post by Afty » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:33 pm

FoolishJumper wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:48 pm
I just upgraded from a Pixel 1 (small one, 5" screen) to a Pixel 3 on Friday. I had that *exact* experience when I applied a tempered glass screen protector. I'm also very picky about my phone, so I'll suffer through some annoyance to avoid scratches on the screen.

Other than that minor complaint, I'm super happy. The screen is the same width as my old Pixel but quite a bit taller. It's also more vibrant. The camera is amazing. I'm especially enjoying portrait mode, which blurs the background like a DSLR. I also used the wide angle selfie lens today to take a pic of my kids and me in front of our Christmas tree.

wcshaff

Post by wcshaff » Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:56 pm

We've had our two Pixel 3 units for about 3 weeks. Used the promo to switch from Verizon to Google Fi. Very pleased so far, both with the phones and the new service. It has been the case that it is tough to get support from Google (for example, getting an issue resolved on Google Maps). However, support from the Google Store (we bought direct) and Google Fi has been very good. WE had an issue porting one number and the Google Fi person hung on until it was resolved. The issue was more our Google Voice phone setup. The other phone came up, copied all data from my previous phone (Samsung Galaxy) and came up in about 10 minutes. My two high-tech sons were impressed and both had Pixel 3s on order.

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

We bought 2 as part of the BOGO50%off promotion

1 is fine

1 is subject to the fatal camera error which essentially shuts down the camera anytime you try to bring it up in a 3rd party app (e.g. social media when taking photos, banking apps when trying mobile deposit, video chat apps)

We ended up returning both. The camera was excellent but that kind of bugginess is unacceptable for such an expensive phone

FoolishJumper

Post by FoolishJumper » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:53 pm

darrvao777 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

1 is fine

1 is subject to the fatal camera error which essentially shuts down the camera anytime you try to bring it up in a 3rd party app (e.g. social media when taking photos, banking apps when trying mobile deposit, video chat apps)

We ended up returning both. The camera was excellent but that kind of bugginess is unacceptable for such an expensive phone
Interesting. Did you try contacting Google to RMA it for a new or just not interested given the issue? One thing I've loved about having Project Fi and Pixel phones is that they are super responsive to isses. I contacted them 2 days before my 1 year warranty was up on the original Pixel as it started having battery issues (I tend to super over use my batteey, so it was probably just extremely tired of dealing with me). They immediately sent me a new one (I could send my existing one within 60 days). This is one of the reasons that I happily stay with Google phones (I had a Nexus 4, 5X, Pixel, Pixel 2, and Pixel 3....I might be a Google phone fanboy though).

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:20 am

Have it and love it. Big upgrade over our other phones. Even went google fi with it and enjoying the service.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am

I had 4 google phones in a row. I was on a Pixel XL and the battery was starting to go fast and I needed to find a replacement. Went with the OnePlus 6t and have been very happy with the purchase. I feel like the Pixel 3 has become a little to much like iphones, they expect you to pay a premium for a inferior product. I would have purchased the Pixel 3 XL if it was $500. The only thing I think the Pixel 3 could have done better than the OP6t is the camera software and I can somewhat get that with some workarounds. Battery life and performance are better on the OP.

H-Dog

Post by H-Dog » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am

Which screen protector does everyone use? I need to order one. I just ordered a new Pixel 3 and it should arrive this week.

I have used Nexus 5 and Nexus 5x in the past. I like the clean Android look and feel in the Nexus/Pixel devices. It's nice to get 3 years of security updates from Google. Stock Android feels snapper after a few years than comparable competitors like Samsung vs my Nexus devices.

Edit: typo

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

H-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:46 am
Which screen protector does everyone use? I need to order one. I just ordered a new Pixel 3 and it should arrive this week.
I haven’t used a screen protector since the days of my Palm Pilot :)

Looking at my old Pixel (two years old) I don’t see any blemishes/scratches.

TASK123

Post by TASK123 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:09 pm

Upgraded to Pixel 3 from Pixel XL(1). It felt small compared to XL for first few days but now I got used to it.Overall, I like it! we got with pre-order promotion of buy 2 Pixel 3 to get $799 Fi credit.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:15 pm

Great phone. I jumped on the deal where you purchased a pixel 3 from google fi for $799 and in return you'll get a travel gift card for $799, good for southwest, delta, airbnb and hotels.com. Plan on taking a trip in May so essentially the phone is free since ill be spending a lot more than $799 for travel during that period.

Also...why do people put screen protectors on their device? It alters the quality of the display. I dont care how good you think the tempered glass is...the phone isnt as crisp with those protectors. Throw a case on it and call it a day.

keystone

Post by keystone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:47 pm

My wife and I both have the Pixel 3 after taking advantage of the $799 fi promotional credit.

Overall we're very pleased with the phones. As others have mentioned, the camera is fantastic and we both particularly enjoy the portrait mode. The battery life is not great, but it's good enough and the phone charges very quickly.

My wife was complaining about poor cellular phone connections (dropped calls, poor sound quality). I googled some troubleshooting tips and followed each of them and she said it's now working great. For some reason this was only an issue on her phone. I really like the coverage of the fi network and all of my calls have been crystal clear.

The only issue that I'm dealing with has to do with the amount of taxes that are being collected by google. On my first bill, the taxes amounted to 53% of the total bill! I've been having a very tough time getting the answers that I need through their customer support, but what I have been able to figure out is that they are charging me a local tax based on having 3 lines, even though we only have 2. I'm trying to get an explanation as to why this is happening, but they keep saying I need to contact my county.

FoolishJumper

Post by FoolishJumper » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm

H-Dog wrote:
I use the 'IQ Shield LiQuidSkin Full Coverage Screen Protector for Google Pixel 3' from Amazon and have been very happy with it. The only issue is that it isn't tempered glass - it is a flexible protector that you apply with a water-based solution. Some people have issues with lots of bubbles - I haven't had that issue and can't even notice that it's there. This is what I used to get for all my phones before they recently have gone for tempered glass.

To the people asking why protector - I regularly drop my phone. I would have broken the screen many times over without a screen protector. I broke my tempered glass protector 3 times on my pixel 2. I will also not have anything past a thin clear case on my phone (I always carry it in my pocket and smaller size is important), so no chance of putting it in an OtterBox or some such. Also I'm bad about tossing keys and phone in my pocket at once. So.....only option is screen protector.

velillen

Post by velillen » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:36 pm

H-Dog wrote:

I have used Nexus 5 and Nexus 5x in the past. I like the clean Android look and feel in the Nexus/Pixel devices. It's nice to get 3 years of security updates from Google. Stock Android feels snapper after a few years than comparable competitors like Samsung vs my Nexus devices.

Edit: typo
Its not tempered glass but the only ones we found to fit right are the Supershieldz brand ones (on amazon). We tried few different ones and none were cut right for the phone. They were annoying to install though compared to other Supershieldz ones I have used (nintendo switch, tablets, pixel 2).

As for the Pixel 3...both the gf and I have been happy with them. But both of us are upgrading from old phones (HTC M8 and an iphone 5) so anything is an improvement. For us the battery life is great but we arent heavy users either. But we get 2 days or so out of the battery. We went with Google Fi and have been happy as well. Great customer service and switching from verizon (me) and att (gf) to Fi was simple and quick.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm

FoolishJumper wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:17 pm
To the people asking why protector - I regularly drop my phone. I would have broken the screen many times over without a screen protector. I broke my tempered glass protector 3 times on my pixel 2. I will also not have anything past a thin clear case on my phone (I always carry it in my pocket and smaller size is important), so no chance of putting it in an OtterBox or some such. Also I'm bad about tossing keys and phone in my pocket at once. So.....only option is screen protector.
I kept my Pixel in a thin clear case (without screen protection) and dropped it a few times over the years, but never broke anything. Put my Pixel 3 into a similar cheap case ($8 on Amazon). My keys go into my right front pocket, and my phone goes into my left front pocket. Everything has its place. :)
Last edited by TravelGeek on Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sleepysurf

Post by sleepysurf » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:35 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:00 pm

I haven’t used a screen protector since the days of my Palm Pilot :)

Looking at my old Pixel (two years old) I don’t see any blemishes/scratches.
I never used a screen protector on my Pixel 1, just a thin outer case, and have no scratches whatsoever. Corning's "Gorilla Glass" is indeed quite durable, as long as you don't put keys or spare change in the same pocket. I now have a Pixel 3 on order, and will again pass on the screen protector.

I too, had the original Palm Pilot, and all subsequent iterations. Side note... I sold my original Palm Pilot 1000 to a nice young lady ~19 years ago, and eventually married her!

BTW, the Chinese manufacturer TCL now owns the "Palm" brand, and just released a tiny Android smartphone branded as such... https://www.cnet.com/reviews/palm-preview/#
Retired 2018 | ~50/45/5 (partially sliced and diced)

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm
My keys go into my right front pocket, and my phone goes into my left front pocket. Everything has its place. :)
I'm going to have to correct you there. Keys in the left front pocket, phone in the right front pocket. There, all better now. :wink:

On a more serious note, this is the best way I've found of making sure the screen on my phone doesn't get scratched. Reserve a pocket for it. Put all the other crap in other available pockets. I used screen protectors until I realized they hadn't done anything for me a couple of years ago. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 pm
On a more serious note, this is the best way I've found of making sure the screen on my phone doesn't get scratched. Reserve a pocket for it. Put all the other crap in other available pockets. I used screen protectors until I realized they hadn't done anything for me a couple of years ago. Haven't had a problem yet (knock on wood).
Yes; when I had to get a warranty replacement for my LG, I didn't put anything back on the screen.

Thanks to all for replies. Mainly curious about early reliability. I typically wait a while for a model to be out so that engineering and manufacturing can work out the bugs.
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Sidney wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm
Mainly curious about early reliability. I typically wait a while for a model to be out so that engineering and manufacturing can work out the bugs.
Apparently the Dec update is going to fix some issues alluded to upthread with the camera and memory management (that I haven't personally experienced, as far as I know). See

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/03/googl ... ity-patch/

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm
Sidney wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm
Mainly curious about early reliability. I typically wait a while for a model to be out so that engineering and manufacturing can work out the bugs.
Apparently the Dec update is going to fix some issues alluded to upthread with the camera and memory management (that I haven't personally experienced, as far as I know). See

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/03/googl ... ity-patch/
Have seen some reports after the update RAM usage has gone down about 30% after the update.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm

Generator515 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Have seen some reports after the update RAM usage has gone down about 30% after the update.
Last I checked my Pixel doesn’t see the update yet.

Generator515

Post by Generator515 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:05 pm
Generator515 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:52 pm
Last I checked my Pixel doesn’t see the update yet.
Move did not come automatically. I went to settings and had it search for updates and then it popped up.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:45 pm

Generator515 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:21 pm
Move did not come automatically. I went to settings and had it search for updates and then it popped up.
That is what I meant -- that's where it didn't show up for me yet this afternoon when I posted about the update. I am not in a rush to fix something that isn't broken, so no biggie (and yes, I realize the update includes more...)

kramer

Post by kramer » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:18 pm

deskjockey wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:53 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:05 pm
My keys go into my right front pocket, and my phone goes into my left front pocket. Everything has its place. :)
I'm going to have to correct you there. Keys in the left front pocket, phone in the right front pocket. There, all better now. :wink:

As far as I know (and according to some YouTube videos), it is not even possible to scratch your phone screen with keys. What can scratch it is sand, which is harder than the phone surface. That is the only thing I am cautious about with respect to my phone screen (and my phone is always in a case). I have not used a screen protector since I switched to modern smart phones and as far as I know they are mostly unnecessary.

H-Dog

Post by H-Dog » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 pm

I also got in on the travel gift card deal and I'm really excited to get the phone.

In regards to a screen protector. I find it odd for people not to spend $10 for a screen protector or $20 for a case for a device that is several hundred dollars. I have coworkers who never have screen protectors or cases and I quite often see their screens are shattered. It would cost quite a bit more to pay for a new screen than a screen protector + case. It is just cheap insurance I guess. I like to keep my devices as long as possible and I will keep the Pixel 3 for at least 3 years since that is when the security updates end.

I do always keep my phone in my left pocket and keys on the right side but I also use my phone all the time: when I work out, when I go hiking l, when I do diy repairs/maintenance/improvements for the car/house. I think there are lots of opportunities to break the phone.

Afty

Post by Afty » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:10 am

I got micro scratches on the screen of the last phone I used without a screen protector, an IPhone 4s from 2011-2013. I also previously had a refurb Pixel which had micro scratches from the previous owner, so this does seem to be a problem even with modern Gorilla Glass. I see no downside to protecting the screen with a tempered glass protector.
Last edited by Afty on Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deskjockey

Post by deskjockey » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 am

dsmclone wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am
I had 4 google phones in a row. I was on a Pixel XL and the battery was starting to go fast and I needed to find a replacement. Went with the OnePlus 6t and have been very happy with the purchase. I feel like the Pixel 3 has become a little to much like iphones, they expect you to pay a premium for a inferior product. I would have purchased the Pixel 3 XL if it was $500. The only thing I think the Pixel 3 could have done better than the OP6t is the camera software and I can somewhat get that with some workarounds. Battery life and performance are better on the OP.
What workarounds are you using on the Oneplus for the camera? I just bought a 6T and was wondering how to improve the camera performance. I know there is an unofficial port of the Pixel camera app but I'm not sure if it works with the 6T. Is this what you're using?

kramer

Post by kramer » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:52 am

H-Dog wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:30 pm
I also got in on the travel gift card deal and I'm really excited to get the phone.

In regards to a screen protector. I find it odd for people not to spend $10 for a screen protector or $20 for a case for a device that is several hundred dollars. I have coworkers who never have screen protectors or cases and I quite often see their screens are shattered. It would cost quite a bit more to pay for a new screen than a screen protector + case. It is just cheap insurance I guess. I like to keep my devices as long as possible and I will keep the Pixel 3 for at least 3 years since that is when the security updates end.

I do always keep my phone in my left pocket and keys on the right side but I also use my phone all the time: when I work out, when I go hiking l, when I do diy repairs/maintenance/improvements for the car/house. I think there are lots of opportunities to break the phone.
here is an article on screen protectors, it's just the top hit on google: https://www.howtogeek.com/190107/does-y ... protector/
(basically, the answer is no, they are not needed)
I think a screen protector has little to do with protecting your screen from breakage, that is what the phone case is for ... with almost any case the screen cannot actually touch the ground. I think a lot of the ideas people have about screen protectors are from older smartphones. They also reduce the touch sensitivity of the screen and can bubble up and they also scratch more easily. Anyway, just answering your question of why someone would not use one ...

darrvao777

Post by darrvao777 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:43 am

FoolishJumper wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:53 pm
darrvao777 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:45 pm

1 is fine

Interesting. Did you try contacting Google to RMA it for a new or just not interested given the issue? One thing I've loved about having Project Fi and Pixel phones is that they are super responsive to isses. I contacted them 2 days before my 1 year warranty was up on the original Pixel as it started having battery issues (I tend to super over use my batteey, so it was probably just extremely tired of dealing with me). They immediately sent me a new one (I could send my existing one within 60 days). This is one of the reasons that I happily stay with Google phones (I had a Nexus 4, 5X, Pixel, Pixel 2, and Pixel 3....I might be a Google phone fanboy though).
No I just asked for my money back

Their support was excellent in that regard

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:34 am

I have an otter case, but no screen protector. The screen protectors I wanted did not fit the phone (multiple reviews) so I decided to wait until they make the product fit.

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:19 am

deskjockey wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:45 am
dsmclone wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:10 am
What workarounds are you using on the Oneplus for the camera? I just bought a 6T and was wondering how to improve the camera performance. I know there is an unofficial port of the Pixel camera app but I'm not sure if it works with the 6T. Is this what you're using?

Yes, camera port

https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplu ... t-t3862849

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am

I have the 3 XL and DW has the 3. We both love them. Awesome cameras.

I think the December update either fixed or greatly improved the ram management issue.

I have not had time to test the video audio recording issue to see if it was improved with the new update. Someone on reddit said it was improved but still not as good as other phones for audio on videos.

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm

Gadget wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am

I think the December update either fixed or greatly improved the ram management issue.

I have not had time to test the video audio recording issue to see if it was improved with the new update. Someone on reddit said it was improved but still not as good as other phones for audio on videos.
What do you think of the 3 XL notch? I currently have an original Pixel XL and considering an upgrade to either the 3 or 3 XL. The Pixel 3's display is about the same size as the Pixel XL, but in an overall smaller package due to the smaller bezels. I might wait a year for the 4 XL to see if they can improve the overall design.

megabad

Post by megabad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 pm

My coworker let me fiddle with his 3 last week and I thought it was awesome. It was a lot faster than my old Nexus 5X (last android I had) and the pictures were awesome. Just talked to him again today and he said that he loves it, but he had a problem with a couple apps crashing (every day) that he hopes the latest bug fixes will fix. I really like the Pixel 3, but I don't buy super premium phones (Apple XS/XR, Samsung 9, Google Pixel 3) because I don't find the value in them vs the price (ie. I am cheap). Especially when it comes to Android phones with very limited shelf life with respect to updates.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:03 pm

Ketawa wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:57 pm
Gadget wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:52 am

What do you think of the 3 XL notch? I currently have an original Pixel XL and considering an upgrade to either the 3 or 3 XL. The Pixel 3's display is about the same size as the Pixel XL, but in an overall smaller package due to the smaller bezels. I might wait a year for the 4 XL to see if they can improve the overall design.
The notch doesn't bother me at all in real use. I don't notice it. On dark screens that I use it blends right in. It basically is just an option to shove the status bar icons into the area next to the notch up top. Think of a pixel 1 or 2 XL, but with the status icons shoved up on the sides higher to make the usable screen bigger. When watching videos or taking pictures or something, it just blacks out the top bar and you can't see the notch anyway. Would it look better if there was no notch? Yes. Do other phones have a prettier notch? Yes. Personally it's a non issue to me though.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm

By the way, anyone else get the wireless charging stand? I had used a 3rd party Qi charger with my old Nexus back in the day and loved it, but it was a bit unreliable (sometimes it wouldn't start charging and required a slight bit of repositioning to get it going, so I had to always pay attention). The wireless stand seems to work flawlessly so far and while the USB-C port is a lot nicer than the Nexus micro USB port, it's a bit of a "luxury" add on that I will enjoy using.

viperguy56

Post by viperguy56 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:02 pm

Just bought a Pixel 3 for myself and girlfriend during their black Friday deals (went with the BOGO 50% off as we both use ATT so the Verizon deals and Google Fi weren't applicable to us). I've only been playing around on it for a few days but I absolutely love it. My single favorite feature so far is the screen call function. As I get an absurd amount of spam calls each week, this one feature made the $625 purchase well worth it. Came from an Iphone 6S (girlfriend from Galaxy 7) so this was a big upgrade for me. Love that all videos and pictures automatically back up to google drive and is unlimited storage unlike apple where you have to pay for more then the standard 2GB. Highly recommend this phone, but look for one of their deals, all of which have been very aggressive considering this phone only came out in October this year.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:49 am

I just got a 3 XL. Maybe it is me, but this being something like my 10th Android phone, and just about every time I "upgrade" I am somewhat disappointed. The screen qualities do vary, but I've never had a phone that had a horrible screen. Some are a little more sluggish than others (particularly cheap Android phones). The biggest difference that I notice is the camera. I use a home screen launcher (Nova), so the phone interface is pretty irrelevant to me. I can tell you the camera on the Pixel 3 is better than any other phone I've had.

Negatives would be price, no microSD slot, and the notch.

velillen

Post by velillen » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:47 am

TravelGeek wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:15 pm
By the way, anyone else get the wireless charging stand? I had used a 3rd party Qi charger with my old Nexus back in the day and loved it, but it was a bit unreliable (sometimes it wouldn't start charging and required a slight bit of repositioning to get it going, so I had to always pay attention). The wireless stand seems to work flawlessly so far and while the USB-C port is a lot nicer than the Nexus micro USB port, it's a bit of a "luxury" add on that I will enjoy using.
The gf and I use the monoprice wireless chargers and like them. We couldnt justify paying the $40 bucks or whatever they want. We only really use them overnight so not worried about fast charging or anything. The monoprice one is nice cause it has a color indicator. Blue for when its just powered one. It turns green when its charging the phone which makes it nice to ensure you put it on the stand right. It turns back to blue when its fully charged which is nice too.