Quality Kitchen Faucet Recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
URSnshn

Quality Kitchen Faucet Recommendations?

Post by URSnshn » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi! Have to replace my current kitchen faucet ( Moen, single handle, with a spray on side - not a pull-out). While the old faucet lasted a long time (damaged), I now need a replacement. I'm looking for a brass, or stainless steel faucet, non-pull out and probably with a ceramic cartridge, and a low profile with appropriate water quality certifications. I am looking for a quality, long lasting faucet.

I have searched this site, but there hasn't been a recent thread on this topic. Your recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated.

02nz

Re: Quality Kitchen Faucet Recommendations?

Post by 02nz » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm

Several Moen faucets are discounted right now on Amazon, as part of their holiday "12 days of deals."

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:34 pm

URSnshn wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:14 pm
Hi! Have to replace my current kitchen faucet ( Moen, single handle, with a spray on side - not a pull-out). While the old faucet lasted a long time (damaged), I now need a replacement. I'm looking for a brass, or stainless steel faucet, non-pull out and probably with a ceramic cartridge, and a low profile with appropriate water quality certifications. I am looking for a quality, long lasting faucet.

I have searched this site, but there hasn't been a recent thread on this topic. Your recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated.
Delta has a lifetime warranty on parts and the faucet. If any part breaks, they will send you a brand new one. If that doesn't fix the problem, they'll send you a new faucet. After 12 years, my old faucet wore out and they sent me a brand new one. I guess most people don't take them up on the warranty.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:16 pm

I guess this might not be "low profile", but I had this kitchen faucet installed several months ago and have been very happy with it.

It is nice looking, easy to use, high quality, not high price, and easy to install. It's a pleasure to use which is important considering how much time a person spends at the kitchen sink.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014K ... UTF8&psc=1

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:46 pm

02nz wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:28 pm
Several Moen faucets are discounted right now on Amazon, as part of their holiday "12 days of deals."
Moen has lifetime warranty. Easy to deal with.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 pm

Both Moen and Delta have lifetime warranties. I agree it is crazy how few people know this, they buy parts instead if getting them free.

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:41 pm

When we built our house the plumber suggested anything that is grohe. Go the website and see which design you like. We used grohe everywhere and have not had an issue.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 pm

According to some pros:
Delta faucets;
Moen Cartridges (therefore faucets);
Kohler toilets/sinks;

SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:21 pm

RickBoglehead wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:27 pm
Both Moen and Delta have lifetime warranties. I agree it is crazy how few people know this, they buy parts instead if getting them free.
+1

Easy to deal with and will overnight parts to you, if requested.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 pm

Mown or Delta.

Use build.com and you can see a ton of ratings

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 pm

I bought the Hansgrohe single handle kitchen faucet at Costco. It was about $249, definitely high quality. Has worked well.Sometimes there is a $50 off coupon at Costco,but I needed it so paid full price, still a bargain.Made in USA, German engineered.

Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:19 pm

Huge fan of Danze.
Not a fan of Grohe because of failures and prices.
Spending $250+ is a good filter when searching online sites such as eFaucets.com

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 pm

I had a 40 year old Moen bathroom faucet start leaking on me. The replacement cartridge was still available.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:45 am

When I redid the kitchen two years ago, I got the Delta Leland. Great quality, not expensive, and an up to date look.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:45 am

Home Depot > Moen

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:03 am

I have Moen faucets and shower fixtures.

After about 5 years the shower fixtures started to leak. We bought replacement cartridges at Home Depot which lasted a couple years. We then emailed Moen. They sent us cartridges free of charge.

The ones sold at Home Depot (Moen branded) were mostly plastic. The ones sent direct from Moen were brass. The Moen rep said that the brass ones were for commercial (high use) installations.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:33 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:55 pm
I bought the Hansgrohe single handle kitchen faucet at Costco. It was about $249, definitely high quality. Has worked well.Sometimes there is a $50 off coupon at Costco,but I needed it so paid full price, still a bargain.Made in USA, German engineered.
I bought the same one and thought the same thing, until it failed last month and flooded my cabinet. There was a leak in the mixing chamber (not the valve), which is cast into the body of the faucet. Any time the water was on, it leaked down inside the body and dripped into the cabinet.

We replaced it with a motion-sensing Kohler.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:41 pm

URSnshn wrote:
Your recommendations and thoughts would be appreciated.
Rather than brand suggestions, I would advice you to find a dedicated plumbing supply company and skip buying them at big box stores. Moen and Delta both make cheap faucets that they sell exclusively to big box stores. I'm not saying you can't find something that won't meet your needs, but there is a lot of junk out there that still has Moen and Delta stamped on it.

Dedicated plumbing supply stores tend to carry the entire line of products and will have a lot more high end stuff to choose from. Although not always the case, with faucets price often signals quality. It isn't just the look but also the quality of the cartridges, seals and other internal parts.

straws46

Post by straws46 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:49 pm

I recommend Newport Brass from Brasstech.com. Very happy with ours.

c1over8

Post by c1over8 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:52 pm

following

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm

mtmingus wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 pm
According to some pros:
Delta faucets;
Kohler toilets/sinks;
This is probably right, but I’d go Grohe on kitchen sink if budget allows.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:10 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:41 pm
URSnshn wrote:
Rather than brand suggestions, I would advice you to find a dedicated plumbing supply company and skip buying them at big box stores. Moen and Delta both make cheap faucets that they sell exclusively to big box stores. I'm not saying you can't find something that won't meet your needs, but there is a lot of junk out there that still has Moen and Delta stamped on it.

Dedicated plumbing supply stores tend to carry the entire line of products and will have a lot more high end stuff to choose from. Although not always the case, with faucets price often signals quality. It isn't just the look but also the quality of the cartridges, seals and other internal parts.
This really is no longer true. You might have to buy online from Big Bo, but they have the same products.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:14 pm

Everything I have is Hansgrohe. You can find them even at Costco nowadays.
Some of the HD stuff have too much plastic.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:20 pm

I asked several remodeling contractor friends for their advice regarding kitchen faucets. They all said spend the money and that $200-300 dollar faucets don't cut it anymore. I replaced the faucet with a $700+ Grohe K7 model. It seemed ridiculous at the time but three years we love the faucet and consider it money well spent.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:53 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:09 pm
mtmingus wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:42 pm
According to some pros:
Delta faucets;
Kohler toilets/sinks;
This is probably right, but I’d go Grohe on kitchen sink if budget allows.
That's what we do most of the time (Delta, Moen and Kohler). But recently we had a fancy looking 10-in deep 33 in wide Kraus kitchen sink. I wish we stayed with the Kohler line instead. The water stain is a pain. It looks great if you keep it dry. We have water stain resist bathroom sink faucets from Delta - big difference!

URSnshn

Post by URSnshn » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 pm

Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Very helpful.

Regarding:

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

lthenderson wrote: ↑

URSnshn wrote: ↑

Bacchus01 wrote: This really is no longer true. You might have to buy online from Big Bo, but they have the same products.

Bacchus01, Why do you say this is no longer true? I have also heard the story that plumbers get a better faucet when they make the purchase rather than I would as a retail customer. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do believe there is a difference between commercial grade and retail. I was thinking it might make sense for me to - depending on circumstances - to check out commercial grade faucets.

[url]

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:20 pm shmidds wrote:
I asked several remodeling contractor friends for their advice regarding kitchen faucets. They all said spend the money and that $200-300 dollar faucets don't cut it anymore. I replaced the faucet with a $700+ Grohe K7 model. It seemed ridiculous at the time but three years we love the faucet and consider it money well spent.[/url]

shmidds, I've also read that to get a decent faucet I'd have to spend $100 - $300 and that if I spent more than that it was overkill and not necessary. So your comment is interesting especially in light of the faucet my plumber is recommending, which if they have already marked it up may be below $100. One website I came across - that speaks to price and a lot of other things:

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sour ... cets1h.htm

Edited to add a word for clarification.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:01 pm

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:28 pm

Delta, because
1. Their terrific warranty as mentioned above - house full of Delta and no issues for 20+ years except the shower used daily - I've replaced the cartridge once and the rubber seats and springs once, all with free parts from Delta.
2. If you ever had a need to fix something immediately and not wait for the replacement part to come in the mail, you can buy the parts at the big orange and blue stores.
3. There are third parties who make replacement handles, etc for Delta. So if you get tired of the look of the shower faucet, you can just change out the trim with either Delta or third party handles & escutcheon.

meebers

Post by meebers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm

We are currently using (builder supplied) Moen. Yes, free parts and I have had Moen send me plenty of stuff over the 18 years that we have been in this house. (5 bathroom faucets, 3 shower contol valves and 1 kitchen faucet) and a most ordered and troublesome soap dispenser.

The kitchen faucet is in the Que now because the handle is hard to move and sounds like a squeaky barn door when you move it. Once the sprayer hose broke off the end of the faucet and the hose propelled itself down the tube under full pressure to the cabinet below just spraying water over everything. :|

A problem with kitchen faucets in general, is the handle on the right side (used to control hot/cold and on/off) This handle is usually used with wet hands and thus causes water to run down the handle and on to the mounting surface. Water there, usually against a back splash, causes mold. Wife keeps a sponge under it to absorb the water and is constantly squeezing the water out. Besides the touch less type, there apparently is no solution?? The touch less type, in addition to normal cartridge problems and others, now presents you with a solid state device that enters the possible maintenance problems, but even so, still has a handle on the right side. :shock:

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 am

URSnshn wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:40 pm
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! Very helpful.

Regarding:

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:10 pm

lthenderson wrote: ↑

URSnshn wrote: ↑

Bacchus01 wrote: This really is no longer true. You might have to buy online from Big Bo, but they have the same products.

Bacchus01, Why do you say this is no longer true? I have also heard the story that plumbers get a better faucet when they make the purchase rather than I would as a retail customer. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but I do believe there is a difference between commercial grade and retail. I was thinking it might make sense for me to - depending on circumstances - to check out commercial grade faucets.

[url]

Post Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:20 pm shmidds wrote:
I asked several remodeling contractor friends for their advice regarding kitchen faucets. They all said spend the money and that $200-300 dollar faucets don't cut it anymore. I replaced the faucet with a $700+ Grohe K7 model. It seemed ridiculous at the time but three years we love the faucet and consider it money well spent.[/url]

shmidds, I've also read that to get a decent faucet I'd have to spend $100 - $300 and that if I spent more than that it was overkill and not necessary. So your comment is interesting especially in light of the faucet my plumber is recommending, which if they have already marked it up may be below $100. One website I came across - that speaks to price and a lot of other things:

http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/sour ... cets1h.htm

Edited to add a word for clarification.
I’d tou want to buy a different model, you can likely buy the same model through the big box than through an independent. The plumber is getting the discount because he does a lot of business with the independent. But they all have access to the same product

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:53 am

Waterstone. Made in US, quality with great design. Rather pricey though.

MisterMister

Post by MisterMister » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:33 am

Ged wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:31 pm
I had a 40 year old Moen bathroom faucet start leaking on me. The replacement cartridge was still available.
I had the same issue. I bought this tool which turned out to be a lifesaver when replacing the cartridge. It's superior to the alternative pullers because it can lock into a stuck cartridge shell and pop it out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000I ... UTF8&psc=1

Anyway, with the new cartridge the faucet both looks and functions as new. I like Moen, and as others point out I was able to get the cartridge free from them.

latesaver

Post by latesaver » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:02 pm

URSnshn wrote:

we got the delta "touchless" faucet a few months ago. highly recommended from a hygienic and aesthetic POV.

renue74

Post by renue74 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:07 pm

I just did a whole renovation on an Airbnb property we own.

We installed Moen in the kitchen and one bathroom. The 2nd bathroom, my wife chose some Delta faucets.

I will say the Moen units seem more "substantial." I installed them and connected to the supply lines. They are heavier and their installation hardware seemed better than the delta.

These days, integrated supply lines in the faucet body is super nice to deal with.

I'm happy with Moen units.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:02 pm

wilked wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:39 pm
Mown or Delta.

Use build.com and you can see a ton of ratings
2nd Build.com
Home stores have plastic parts. Build has supply house grade items.

geno974

Post by geno974 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:10 pm

My favorite is Kohler.
Kohler is a quality product with strong support.
May cost a little more, but worth it.
G

barreg

Post by barreg » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:29 pm

Not a fan of Delta. Our Delta Ashton faucet looks great and worked great at first, but within a few months, it gets to the point where there is only a single spot you can put the handle or else it drips and the spray always comes on regardless of if you pushed the spray button or not. Delta provides a new free cartridge and spray head, but it gets old going through this cycle repeatedly.