‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am

Hi bogleheads,
So my 2001 Honda Odyssey won’t start and I was told needs $2700 worth of repairs, new catalytic converters, ect sensors, and timing belt.

It’s relatively low mileage at 120k. Should I repair it or junk it?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.

barnaclebob
Posts: 4004
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 am

Whats specifically causing it to not start? Was this a dealer quote?

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7357
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by HueyLD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:58 am

$2,700 isn't that bad because the timing belt alone costs in excess of $1,200.

If your car is reliable and the mileage is low, why not keep it?

What is the estimated values with and without repairs? What is the cost of a new replacement?

bloom2708
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 am

Which of the listed problems are preventing it from starting?

A plugged Cat Converter would throw an engine code, but the car should start unless it is completely plugged.

Timing belt replacement is a maintenance item. Did the belt slip or break? Likely not as that would cause engine damage.

The ECT sensor may disable traction control, but the car should start

Was this a Honda dealer or a small local type shop?

I would peel back the onion and first figure out what it would take to get the vehicle running. Next is to clear check engine codes and issues.

How is the body? Rust? How is the interior? Clean? 120k on an Odyssey isn't all that many miles, but if other parts are falling apart it may not be worth fixing.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 am
Whats specifically causing it to not start? Was this a dealer quote?
I think they said the catalytic converter was clogged. And the ect sensors need to be replAced and the vehicle was “out of time “- ie timing belt had been damaged i guess by the clogged catalytic converter?

And yes it’s at the dealer right now
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 10815
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am
Location: 26 miles, 385 yards west of Copley Square

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 pm

With an option of junking it, let me recommend kludges.....

The first question is why doesn't it start. I mean....if the cats are completely blocked, cut them off and replace them with pipes. It'll cost all of $20 diy or a local garage might do it if you tell them you're going to junk it in 6 months. They're worth $75 each at any junkyard of scrapyard.

Timing belt.....again.....if you plan to junk it as the alternate option, ignore it. If it snaps, then.....well....you junk it. But as someone else mentioned....has the timing belt skipped teeth, which is preventing starting? If so, then your engine is possibly toast anyways, so the junking option is pretty viable.

Has the alternator been replaced? Honda alternators die right about at this mileage. There's a couple hundred more dollars you'll need to spend soon.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

User avatar
djpeteski
Posts: 899
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:07 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by djpeteski » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm
I think they said the catalytic converter was clogged. And the ect sensors need to be replAced and the vehicle was “out of time “- ie timing belt had been damaged i guess by the clogged catalytic converter?

And yes it’s at the dealer right now
That sounds like a bunch of baloney. Plus a 2700 fix at a dealer will likely cost less than 1500 at a reputable mechanic. Heck you might be out the door for about $500 once the actual problems are diagnosed. The dealers are so darn crooked.

The key question in all of this is how much money do you have to purchase a different car?

Lets assume you have 4k. I would opt to fix the van.

Lets assume you have 20K, I would probably buy something used, but late model. You can probably get something that meets your needs for something around that.

It all depends on how much cash you have.

Rupert
Posts: 4122
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Why in the world would you have a 17-year-old car repaired at a dealership? You can significantly reduce the cost of those repairs at an independent mechanic. That said, I would never ever put $2000+ into a 17-year-old car, no matter how many miles were on it. With today's cars, age is really more important than miles. Everything made of soft materials (hoses, gaskets, etc.) is going to start disintegrating in a car that old. So it's going to be one repair after another.
Last edited by Rupert on Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neilpilot
Posts: 2917
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by neilpilot » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm

Assuming no information other than the OP's postings and a vehicle in decent condition, I'd op to have it towed from the dealer to a competent indy mechanic for evaluation prior to the scrap or repair decision.

alfaspider
Posts: 2244
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by alfaspider » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:24 pm

If the timing belt snapped, just junk it. It's not worth repairing unless you have a spare motor just sitting there and will do all the work yourself. If it's just the catalytic converter, you can buy those from rockauto for generally $100-200 for most vehicles. Have a muffler shop install it and be out no more than $300 or so.

It almost never makes sense to take an older vehicle to the dealer. I would only use a dealer for warranty repairs. They don't actually want to fix your vehicle, they want you to buy a new Honda. Take it to an independent mechanic who wants the work if you are thinking about fixing it.

The fix vs scrap calculus may be dependent on the overall condition of the vehicle. If it's an immaculate cream puff that you just LOVE, it may make sense spending some money on it. If it's rustbucket you are embarrassed to drive, just move on- it's lived a good long life.

Texanbybirth
Posts: 1271
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:07 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Texanbybirth » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:25 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm
Assuming no information other than the OP's postings and a vehicle in decent condition, I'd op to have it towed from the dealer to a competent indy mechanic for evaluation prior to the scrap or repair decision.
+1
Old Tom Bombadil is a merry fellow, | Bright blue his jacket is, and his boots are yellow. | None has ever caught him yet, for Tom, he is the master: | His songs are stronger songs, and his feet are faster.

bungalow10
Posts: 2270
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am
Location: Chicago North Shore

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by bungalow10 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:25 pm

How close are you to the end of your minivan years? If you only have a couple years of needing a minivan left, fix it. If you think you have more than a few years left, and have the money, consider a newer replacement van.

I'm a huge fan of minivans, but for me there is a definite period of time in life where one is required. The van we have now will hopefully be the last one we buy :sharebeer
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:48 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:56 am
Whats specifically causing it to not start? Was this a dealer quote?
Thanks. See my 2nd post above
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:49 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:58 am
$2,700 isn't that bad because the timing belt alone costs in excess of $1,200.

If your car is reliable and the mileage is low, why not keep it?

What is the estimated values with and without repairs? What is the cost of a new replacement?
I tried looking up the market value. Seems like it is around $1500-$2700
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:52 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 am
Which of the listed problems are preventing it from starting?

A plugged Cat Converter would throw an engine code, but the car should start unless it is completely plugged.

Timing belt replacement is a maintenance item. Did the belt slip or break? Likely not as that would cause engine damage.

The ECT sensor may disable traction control, but the car should start

Was this a Honda dealer or a small local type shop?

I would peel back the onion and first figure out what it would take to get the vehicle running. Next is to clear check engine codes and issues.

How is the body? Rust? How is the interior? Clean? 120k on an Odyssey isn't all that many miles, but if other parts are falling apart it may not be worth fixing.
This link suggests a bad cat converter can keep it from starting

https://medium.com/@kevishhook/5-signs- ... 76a6b6945f
RIP Mr. Bogle.

bloom2708
Posts: 7104
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 pm

I would lean toward letting it go.

If the timing belt slipped, the $2,700 could be $2,700 + we'll see what we find when we take the engine apart.

If you do the timing belt, you should replace the water pump and tensioner/bearings at the same time. It usually comes in a kit.

No mechanic can guarantee they won't find "something else" once things are taken apart. I don't know how they know if the engine is OK unless they already have it apart.

Proceed with caution.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:06 pm
With an option of junking it, let me recommend kludges.....

The first question is why doesn't it start. I mean....if the cats are completely blocked, cut them off and replace them with pipes. It'll cost all of $20 diy or a local garage might do it if you tell them you're going to junk it in 6 months. They're worth $75 each at any junkyard of scrapyard.

Timing belt.....again.....if you plan to junk it as the alternate option, ignore it. If it snaps, then.....well....you junk it. But as someone else mentioned....has the timing belt skipped teeth, which is preventing starting? If so, then your engine is possibly toast anyways, so the junking option is pretty viable.

Has the alternator been replaced? Honda alternators die right about at this mileage. There's a couple hundred more dollars you'll need to spend soon.
Thanks. I guess i’ll Ask about skipped teeth and any signs of engine damage.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:54 pm

djpeteski wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:15 pm
grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm
I think they said the catalytic converter was clogged. And the ect sensors need to be replAced and the vehicle was “out of time “- ie timing belt had been damaged i guess by the clogged catalytic converter?

And yes it’s at the dealer right now
That sounds like a bunch of baloney. Plus a 2700 fix at a dealer will likely cost less than 1500 at a reputable mechanic. Heck you might be out the door for about $500 once the actual problems are diagnosed. The dealers are so darn crooked.

The key question in all of this is how much money do you have to purchase a different car?

Lets assume you have 4k. I would opt to fix the van.

Lets assume you have 20K, I would probably buy something used, but late model. You can probably get something that meets your needs for something around that.

It all depends on how much cash you have.
Thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:55 pm

alfaspider wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:24 pm
If the timing belt snapped, just junk it. It's not worth repairing unless you have a spare motor just sitting there and will do all the work yourself. If it's just the catalytic converter, you can buy those from rockauto for generally $100-200 for most vehicles. Have a muffler shop install it and be out no more than $300 or so.

It almost never makes sense to take an older vehicle to the dealer. I would only use a dealer for warranty repairs. They don't actually want to fix your vehicle, they want you to buy a new Honda. Take it to an independent mechanic who wants the work if you are thinking about fixing it.

The fix vs scrap calculus may be dependent on the overall condition of the vehicle. If it's an immaculate cream puff that you just LOVE, it may make sense spending some money on it. If it's rustbucket you are embarrassed to drive, just move on- it's lived a good long life.
Thanks. Definitely not a cream puff. It’s old but i’m Used to it
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:57 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:25 pm
How close are you to the end of your minivan years? If you only have a couple years of needing a minivan left, fix it. If you think you have more than a few years left, and have the money, consider a newer replacement van.

I'm a huge fan of minivans, but for me there is a definite period of time in life where one is required. The van we have now will hopefully be the last one we buy :sharebeer
I like minivans but as you say that time is passing. 4 wheel drive vehicles are more our thing now
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:58 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 pm
I would lean toward letting it go.

If the timing belt slipped, the $2,700 could be $2,700 + we'll see what we find when we take the engine apart.

If you do the timing belt, you should replace the water pump and tensioner/bearings at the same time. It usually comes in a kit.

No mechanic can guarantee they won't find "something else" once things are taken apart. I don't know how they know if the engine is OK unless they already have it apart.

Proceed with caution.
Thanks, that’s very helpful.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

researcher
Posts: 1186
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by researcher » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:59 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 pm
I think they said the catalytic converter was clogged. And the ect sensors need to be replAced and the vehicle was “out of time “- ie timing belt had been damaged i guess by the clogged catalytic converter?

And yes it’s at the dealer right now
First off, you need to have a clear understanding of why the car won't start.
You need to eliminate all of the "I think" and "I guess" statements.
It is not possible to provide meaningful recommendations until you know exactly what is wrong with the car.

Secondly, as others have suggested, get your vehicle out of the dealership immediately.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7357
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by HueyLD » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm

It appears that it may be time to part with your beloved Honda. I think the cost-benefit analysis skews toward not fixing it.

Very best of luck to you.

Glockenspiel
Posts: 970
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:20 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Glockenspiel » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm

I'd junk it and buy a new (to you) 1 or 2-year old vehicle.

User avatar
Cyclesafe
Posts: 1016
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Cyclesafe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm

Not even close.

Junk it.

I'm looking at the same sort of decision: a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 90k miles worth KBB $4,000 (private party) facing $2,000 in maintenance/repairs. I'm pulling the plug because I just don't know what else they will find...…

Still looks good and runs well, so hoping to sell it (with full disclosures) for something less than KBB.
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” - Dwight Eisenhower

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:29 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:58 pm
Not even close.

Junk it.

I'm looking at the same sort of decision: a 2000 Lexus RX300 with 90k miles worth KBB $4,000 (private party) facing $2,000 in maintenance/repairs. I'm pulling the plug because I just don't know what else they will find...…

Still looks good and runs well, so hoping to sell it (with full disclosures) for something less than KBB.
Thanks
I’ve never junked a car before. How do I do that exactly?
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm

Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm
I'd junk it and buy a new (to you) 1 or 2-year old vehicle.
Thanks. I’ve never junked a car before. Don’t need to replace it right away so can’t do a trade in. How do I junk it exactly?
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:31 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm
It appears that it may be time to part with your beloved Honda. I think the cost-benefit analysis skews toward not fixing it.

Very best of luck to you.
Thanks. I’m coming around to this view.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

corysold
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by corysold » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:33 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm
I'd junk it and buy a new (to you) 1 or 2-year old vehicle.
Thanks. I’ve never junked a car before. Don’t need to replace it right away so can’t do a trade in. How do I junk it exactly?
I've used Peddle.com in the past. They give you an online quote and send out a local shop to pick it up from your driveway. I was pleasantly surprised as what I was offered for a 2005 Prius with 220,000+ miles and many cosmetic issues.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:55 pm

corysold wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:33 pm
grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm
I'd junk it and buy a new (to you) 1 or 2-year old vehicle.
Thanks. I’ve never junked a car before. Don’t need to replace it right away so can’t do a trade in. How do I junk it exactly?
I've used Peddle.com in the past. They give you an online quote and send out a local shop to pick it up from your driveway. I was pleasantly surprised as what I was offered for a 2005 Prius with 220,000+ miles and many cosmetic issues.
Thanks
How long did it take them to come pick it up?
RIP Mr. Bogle.

helloeveryone
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by helloeveryone » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am
Hi bogleheads,
So my 2001 Honda Odyssey won’t start and I was told needs $2700 worth of repairs, new catalytic converters, ect sensors, and timing belt.

It’s relatively low mileage at 120k. Should I repair it or junk it?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Grok


i would advocate take your quote to a local reliable mechanic. It will be much cheaper. (if you don’t have one ask friends who may have reliable one).

The $2700 will go down significantly then pay $ to tow it there and it will help keep your odyssey running for many more miles/years. Cheaper than upgrading to new or even used odyssey.

We just sold our 2010 odyssey with 160,000 miles to family and it was running great. I had a thread of fox bs repair and the forum recommended repair and it was a great recommendation as we had no further issues w it and was reliable enough to sell to family as we were ready for a 2018. (which just got recalled for door opening at highway speeds)

corysold
Posts: 822
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by corysold » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:07 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:55 pm
corysold wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:33 pm
grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:30 pm
Glockenspiel wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:01 pm
I'd junk it and buy a new (to you) 1 or 2-year old vehicle.
Thanks. I’ve never junked a car before. Don’t need to replace it right away so can’t do a trade in. How do I junk it exactly?
I've used Peddle.com in the past. They give you an online quote and send out a local shop to pick it up from your driveway. I was pleasantly surprised as what I was offered for a 2005 Prius with 220,000+ miles and many cosmetic issues.
Thanks
How long did it take them to come pick it up?
It was within a few days. If I remember correctly, I think I gave a window I was available and they called with a specific time.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:13 pm

helloeveryone wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:02 pm
grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am
Hi bogleheads,
So my 2001 Honda Odyssey won’t start and I was told needs $2700 worth of repairs, new catalytic converters, ect sensors, and timing belt.

It’s relatively low mileage at 120k. Should I repair it or junk it?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Grok


i would advocate take your quote to a local reliable mechanic. It will be much cheaper. (if you don’t have one ask friends who may have reliable one).

The $2700 will go down significantly then pay $ to tow it there and it will help keep your odyssey running for many more miles/years. Cheaper than upgrading to new or even used odyssey.

We just sold our 2010 odyssey with 160,000 miles to family and it was running great. I had a thread of fox bs repair and the forum recommended repair and it was a great recommendation as we had no further issues w it and was reliable enough to sell to family as we were ready for a 2018. (which just got recalled for door opening at highway speeds)
Thanks very much for your response. If I had a 2010 Odyssey I would likely follow your advice. But I have a 2001 Odyssey and i’m Thinking it’s going to have more and more issues. So i’m Leaning the other way.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

User avatar
bottlecap
Posts: 6252
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:21 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by bottlecap » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:25 pm

You took it to a dealer. You got the typical dealer response.

Dealers charge high prices and tell you need things you don’t.

Have an independent mechanic do it for half the price.

JT

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:40 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:25 pm
You took it to a dealer. You got the typical dealer response.

Dealers charge high prices and tell you need things you don’t.

Have an independent mechanic do it for half the price.

JT
thanks
RIP Mr. Bogle.

helloeveryone
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:16 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by helloeveryone » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:24 pm

[/quote]
Thanks very much for your response. If I had a 2010 Odyssey I would likely follow your advice. But I have a 2001 Odyssey and i’m Thinking it’s going to have more and more issues. So i’m Leaning the other way.
[/quote]

Yes looking back and doing the math a 17 year old odyssey requiring $1000-2000 in repairs is a big chunk of change as the cost to repair even at independent mechanic is essentially more than the car might be worth.
Nice job holding on to the car for so long! (and pretty low mileage for 17 yrs)

megabad
Posts: 2565
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by megabad » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm

grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am
Hi bogleheads,
So my 2001 Honda Odyssey won’t start and I was told needs $2700 worth of repairs, new catalytic converters, ect sensors, and timing belt.

It’s relatively low mileage at 120k. Should I repair it or junk it?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Grok
Gosh, I have never heard of a cat dying on a Honda or a Toyota unless you burn it up due to a failed O2 sensor. Was the van driven far with a failed sensor? My last Toyota went to about ~200k with no cat problems. My accord went to 240k about the same vintage.

If you don't care about continuing to drive an old van, I would take it to a local independent and ask for a 2nd opinion. You might get away with just replacing the sensors indicated in OBD computer and resetting the codes (maybe a couple hundred bucks at a non-dealer shop). But if you search your heart and want a new vehicle, than I would just trade it in and go for it. 17 year old car is plenty frugal, imo.

wrongfunds
Posts: 2208
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:34 pm

If the dealer's lips are moving, then he is lying. How in the world do you go from a running car to not starting car and come up with diagnosis of clogged converter? They don't clog instantly.

If you have been driving with flashing check engine light for months and were noticing vehicle slowly loosing power for months until one day it just stopped running, then yes that is possible. But a person who takes 17 year old vehicle to the dealer is NOT the type who would be abusing their own vehicle like that.

So, which one is the truth?

We are still driving 1999 Odyssey with 265K miles on it daily.

ifish100
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:23 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by ifish100 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Assuming the car is in otherwise good shape, has been garage kept etc. I would do what some others recommended take it to an independent shop to get another opinion.

Having just traded vans, they are very expensive, and a Honda van that you know and is in great shape otherwise could be worth repairing.
I drive a 98 vehicle everyday, and to replace what it provides me would cost much more than the "book value". I think your van will be similar, you may be able to put $1500 into it and it could provide you 3 or 4 more years of good service. You will likely find any 3 or 4 year van will cost you $18 to $25K.

HIinvestor
Posts: 1833
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:23 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:30 pm

We are “trading in” our 2000 Toyota van with just under 120,000 miles in conjunction with getting a new car. We are only getting $600. It still runs, including the A/C, interior is decent, but we are ready to be done with it. Yeah, we likely could get more if we sold it independently but really don’t feel like it. We did spend some money on the tie rods so it continues to be safe to drive brfore we turn it in. The independent mechanic agreed that it’s time to get a new or newer vehicle. I’m done with vans fir now.

Reubin
Posts: 383
Joined: Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:39 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Reubin » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 pm

neilpilot wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm
Assuming no information other than the OP's postings and a vehicle in decent condition, I'd op to have it towed from the dealer to a competent indy mechanic for evaluation prior to the scrap or repair decision.
Speak to a private mechanic about it and see what he says. If he sounds encouraging tow it over to him.
Some of these dealers should probably be in jail.
I've got an '01 Odyssey and we absolutely love it. It's got 170,000 miles on it and is going strong.

User avatar
Random Musings
Posts: 5580
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:24 pm
Location: Pennsylvania

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by Random Musings » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Grok,

Get a second opinion on your vehicle and then come back with your findings.

Regards,

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2826
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by wander » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:06 pm

There are a few dozen of reasons why a car won't start. Just throw the money at it does not fix it. A good mechanic would tell you what is wrong with the car and why he needs to replace those items. You should find another mechanic (like others have mentioned). But maybe it's about time for a new car. :D

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:20 pm

megabad wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:26 pm
grok87 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:53 am
Hi bogleheads,
So my 2001 Honda Odyssey won’t start and I was told needs $2700 worth of repairs, new catalytic converters, ect sensors, and timing belt.

It’s relatively low mileage at 120k. Should I repair it or junk it?

Thanks for any advice.
Cheers
Grok
Gosh, I have never heard of a cat dying on a Honda or a Toyota unless you burn it up due to a failed O2 sensor. Was the van driven far with a failed sensor? My last Toyota went to about ~200k with no cat problems. My accord went to 240k about the same vintage.

If you don't care about continuing to drive an old van, I would take it to a local independent and ask for a 2nd opinion. You might get away with just replacing the sensors indicated in OBD computer and resetting the codes (maybe a couple hundred bucks at a non-dealer shop). But if you search your heart and want a new vehicle, than I would just trade it in and go for it. 17 year old car is plenty frugal, imo.
thanks.
that's an interesting question. would a failed oxygen sensor have made the check engine light come on? the check engine light had come on at one point a while ageo but then it went away. it's not like we were driving it with the check engine light on or anything.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:34 pm
If the dealer's lips are moving, then he is lying. How in the world do you go from a running car to not starting car and come up with diagnosis of clogged converter? They don't clog instantly.

If you have been driving with flashing check engine light for months and were noticing vehicle slowly loosing power for months until one day it just stopped running, then yes that is possible. But a person who takes 17 year old vehicle to the dealer is NOT the type who would be abusing their own vehicle like that.

So, which one is the truth?

We are still driving 1999 Odyssey with 265K miles on it daily.
thanks. that's very encouraging. no we weren't driving it with the check engine light on. it did come on at one point a while ago but then it went off and stayed off.
if you are willing to share, i'd be curious what if any major repairs you have had to have done over the years. we had to replace the transmission about 4 years ago (apparently its a known issue with some honda odysseys). i've been warned that the alternator may go at some point...
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:29 pm

ifish100 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:11 pm

Having just traded vans, they are very expensive, and a Honda van that you know and is in great shape otherwise could be worth repairing.
I drive a 98 vehicle everyday, and to replace what it provides me would cost much more than the "book value". I think your van will be similar, you may be able to put $1500 into it and it could provide you 3 or 4 more years of good service. You will likely find any 3 or 4 year van will cost you $18 to $25K.
thanks. that's an interesting way to look at it.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

pdavi21
Posts: 1296
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by pdavi21 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 pm

I buy my parts and go to a mechanic who will install them for me (most won't). Saves about 30-50 percent. Buy Chinese knockoff junk, thing is old anyway.

If you can get below 1500 and thing is reliable, I'd consider keeping it. A newer used car will have unexpected repairs too.
"We spend a great deal of time studying history, which, let's face it, is mostly the history of stupidity." -Stephen Hawking

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:38 pm

Reubin wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:27 pm
neilpilot wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:18 pm
Assuming no information other than the OP's postings and a vehicle in decent condition, I'd op to have it towed from the dealer to a competent indy mechanic for evaluation prior to the scrap or repair decision.
Speak to a private mechanic about it and see what he says. If he sounds encouraging tow it over to him.
Some of these dealers should probably be in jail.
I've got an '01 Odyssey and we absolutely love it. It's got 170,000 miles on it and is going strong.
thanks that's encouraging. any major repairs you've had to have done over the years? we had to replace the transmission about 4 years ago...
RIP Mr. Bogle.

Topic Author
grok87
Posts: 8920
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:00 pm

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by grok87 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:39 pm

pdavi21 wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:33 pm
I buy my parts and go to a mechanic who will install them for me (most won't). Saves about 30-50 percent. Buy Chinese knockoff junk, thing is old anyway.

If you can get below 1500 and thing is reliable, I'd consider keeping it. A newer used car will have unexpected repairs too.
thanks. yeah that's a good point about the newer used car.
RIP Mr. Bogle.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 7357
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: ‘01 Honda Odyssey: won’t start, needs $2700 repair. Junk it or fix?

Post by HueyLD » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:43 pm

It's time for a new(er) car, my friend. You deserve it. Life is too short as they say.

Just take the money out of your TIPS portfolios. :-)

Post Reply