11/28 Today Only, buy a phone on Google FI and get travel gift card of same value

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
harrychan

11/28 Today Only, buy a phone on Google FI and get travel gift card of same value

Post by harrychan » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Today only.

Great deal for those looking for a new Android phone and travel a lot. You can sign up for Google Fi and purchase a phone and get the equivalent value of gift card for Delta, hotels.com, Southwest, or Airbnb. Terms apply such as the number must be existing from Aug. 2018 and you must keep Google Fi for 120 days. Google voice numbers work as well.

https://fi.google.com/about/phones/
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

Pizza_and_Beer

Re: 11/28 Today Only, buy a phone on Google FI and get travel gift card of same value

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm

I took advantage of the Project Fi (now Google Fi apparently) Black Friday deal for a Pixel 3 ($200 off the phone, and $200 Project Fi credit). Now I'm seeing this better deal. I get why they're doing this to create some buzz for the rebranding to Google Fi. But come on Google, not fair!

go140point6

Re: 11/28 Today Only, buy a phone on Google FI and get travel gift card of same value

Post by go140point6 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:55 pm

Yesterday the Moto G6 was $99... today back to $199 with this deal. The Moto X4 was $149, now back to $249. The porting your number immediately is a deal breaker for me. My wife and I plan to switch to Fi but only after we get one phone and activate with a new number so we can test it out in our house. I was planning on waiting for the Moto G7 to arrive before deciding on the phone.

Has anyone switch multiple numbers (family plan) to Fi? I'm concerned about the order of operations, with me being the primary and my wife secondary on my current plan. I don't want to risk losing one or both numbers. If we make the switch, I plan on my wife porting first to Fi and breaking off my current plan. Then me going to Fi once she is in the clear and my current plan can close. Once on Fi, I'll add her to my plan so it's back to me primary and her secondary (required for my work to pay stipend).

BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:05 pm

Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:53 pm
I took advantage of the Project Fi (now Google Fi apparently) Black Friday deal for a Pixel 3 ($200 off the phone, and $200 Project Fi credit). Now I'm seeing this better deal. I get why they're doing this to create some buzz for the rebranding to Google Fi. But come on Google, not fair!
Saw this on another forum, might be worth a phone call.
I just got off the line with FI support. There is an email list they are putting people on who call in TODAY ONLY that had purchased phones during the Black Friday. There will be an ADDITIONAL CREDIT (currently undisclosed amount) applied to accounts above the original $200 service credit offer on BF. Those who call in and get on this list are supposed to check our emails for one from the team handling this additional promotion.

Worth calling in IMO even if it does turn out to not be true. At best, we get the difference between the original BF promo and this travel credit promo in service credits! That seems like an even better deal to me.

Minderbinder

Post by Minderbinder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:10 pm

I don't understand the T&C:

"Limited time offer applies to any customer new to Fi who signs up for Google Fi between 11/28/18 8:00 AM PT through 11/28/18 11:59 PM PT, activates their compatible device that was not purchased at fi.google.com or store.google.com by 12/28/18 11:59 PM PT and remains active for 30 consecutive days"

So you can't buy it from google?

Minderbinder

Post by Minderbinder » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:14 pm

Nevermind, the link is wrong that I got that from.

The correct T&C is above it.

This is badass, I am doing this ASAP for me and my wife.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 pm

Does anyone know if you can get this promotion by using a GV number? My guess is no, but I cannot transfer my current number (paid for a year of service). I want to get the Fi service for 120 days to get the promotion. I don't really need the Fi service, but figure a $900 gift card for a $900 phone and a $80 phone bill is a good deal.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 pm
Does anyone know if you can get this promotion by using a GV number? My guess is no, but I cannot transfer my current number (paid for a year of service). I want to get the Fi service for 120 days to get the promotion. I don't really need the Fi service, but figure a $900 gift card for a $900 phone and a $80 phone bill is a good deal.
Yes you can. You can use either a GV number, a new number or your current number.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm

Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Google Fi / Project Fi? Seeing as this is new and not sure how this compares to a traditional network, I'm not sure I want to take the leap.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:15 pm

crossbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:09 pm
michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:59 pm
Yes you can. You can use either a GV number, a new number or your current number.
It almost seems to good to be true (assuming you can use the giftcards). I can always use an AirBnb gift card though. Is my math right? Basically $900 (Pixel 3 XL) for the phone (plus sales tax obviously), I get a $900 gift card. I have to spend $80 minimum (120 days, $20/mo) + data (which I won't use, or very little as I already have a plan) +taxes.

If I use the phone with another SIM (non-Fi) during the 120 days, will they know?

I assume the Pixel 3 is unlocked (I believe all the phones they sell for Fi are unlocked).

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm

it's in their FAQ:

If I use Google Voice, can I use my number with Google Fi?
Yes, you can use your Google Voice number as your Google Fi number, but you cannot have your Google Voice number and a separate Google Fi number on the same phone. For additional information on bringing your Google Voice number to Fi, please visit our help center.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 pm

cutehumor wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm
it's in their FAQ:

Yes, you can use your Google Voice number as your Google Fi number, but you cannot have your Google Voice number and a separate Google Fi number on the same phone. For additional information on bringing your Google Voice number to Fi, please visit our help center.
I know you can use a GV number with Fi. That doesn't mean you can get the promotion though:

"The number being transferred must be currently active and have been active with the previous carrier and the customer since 8/28/18 12:00 AM PT."

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

This sucks. I went through the process of buying a new phone with service. When I went to transfer my cell number, I got this message:

Give up your Google Voice number?
You're choosing to give up your Google Voice number. Once you activate service on your phone, you'll permanently lose your Google Voice number: +XXXXXXXXXXXX
Google Fi will still keep a few things from your Google Voice account, including your voicemail greeting, voicemails, texts, and history. However, some features won't be available — regardless of the choice you make here. This includes the Google Voice website and apps, calling with an Obihai device, call screening, spam filtering, and other features.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 pm

crossbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm
Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about Google Fi / Project Fi? Seeing as this is new and not sure how this compares to a traditional network, I'm not sure I want to take the leap.
I've used it for years in San Francisco with no regrets. My phone bill is lower and when I travel international I just turn my phone on upon landing. No games.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 pm

cutehumor wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm
This sucks. I went through the process of buying a new phone with service. When I went to transfer my cell number, I got this message:

You're choosing to give up your Google Voice number. Once you activate service on your phone, you'll permanently lose your Google Voice number: +XXXXXXXXXXXX
Google Fi will still keep a few things from your Google Voice account, including your voicemail greeting, voicemails, texts, and history. However, some features won't be available — regardless of the choice you make here. This includes the Google Voice website and apps, calling with an Obihai device, call screening, spam filtering, and other features.
Can you create another Google account and transfer that GV number over first, so you don't lose it?

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:44 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:31 pm
cutehumor wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:22 pm
it's in their FAQ:

I know you can use a GV number with Fi. That doesn't mean you can get the promotion though:

"The number being transferred must be currently active and have been active with the previous carrier and the customer since 8/28/18 12:00 AM PT."
According to this thread on Reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/co ... ded_has_a/), GV porting is eligible for the promotion. Apparently someone asked Google 2 times. I hope it is true. There is no way I would buy this $900 phone if I am not eligible!

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:50 pm

BusterMcTaco wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:37 pm
cutehumor wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:36 pm

Can you create another Google account and transfer that GV number over first, so you don't lose it?
I could, but I wouldn't get the gift card promotion, since you have to have active number since 8/2018 :(

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 pm

I think that's just for porting your old phone number from another company, isn't it?
New Google Fi users must transfer (port-in) their current personal number over to Google Fi during sign up. The number being transferred must be currently active and have been active with the previous carrier and the user since 8/28/18 12:00 AM PT.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
Same here. Wonder if I can pack up the just activated phone and return it and then order a new one. Or at least threaten it when talking to Google.

jucor

Post by jucor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:09 pm

crossbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 pm
I switched from t-mobile to Project Fi about a year ago -- I've been really happy -- the coverage is much better. Traveling in the U.S. I've had decent reception everywhere I've been -- the three networks seamless switching is likely the cause. I also used it for a month in Europe this summer and was really impressed. Super easy, and same data prices.

Based on my experience my wife switched a couple of months ago, and so far she's pleased as well.

FWIW, we live in the midwest and have used my/our Fi phones in the midwest, upper midwest, east coast, southern Appalachia, and northwest as well as in Europe.

ragnathor

Post by ragnathor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Been on Fi for 18 months in Houston and Detroit. Very pleased with it - was on Tmobile and I do think overall reception is better. I had some issues with switching between wifi and cellular signal (for example, would not place calls with poor signal but full wifi). After a call to support they adjusted a setting to favor wifi somehow and has been better. I'vebeen on an older phone - the nexus 5x, and hoping the wifi switching improves with the Pixel 3 today.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 pm

BackOfTheNet wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:05 pm
Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
I just got off the line with FI support. There is an email list they are putting people on who call in TODAY ONLY that had purchased phones during the Black Friday. There will be an ADDITIONAL CREDIT (currently undisclosed amount) applied to accounts above the original $200 service credit offer on BF. Those who call in and get on this list are supposed to check our emails for one from the team handling this additional promotion.

Worth calling in IMO even if it does turn out to not be true. At best, we get the difference between the original BF promo and this travel credit promo in service credits! That seems like an even better deal to me.
See the official thread/FAQ:

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/643233?hl=en
I just purchased a device during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. Do I need to return my device to take advantage of this offer?

You can contact support today to see if your Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchase is eligible for price protection. Note: there is no price protection for orders that were placed before Black Friday.
There's apparently effectively no way to reach them by phone, and chat support is down, so I sent them an email asking about price protection.

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 pm

BusterMcTaco wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 pm
I think that's just for porting your old phone number from another company, isn't it?
New Google Fi users must transfer (port-in) their current personal number over to Google Fi during sign up. The number being transferred must be currently active and have been active with the previous carrier and the user since 8/28/18 12:00 AM PT.
I got pixel3 XL ordered. I was glad to get this deal. I signed up for a new google email account and used my cell phone number to port.
I didn't want to loose my google voice, I use it for my obihai phone adapter at home. My cell phone is five years old and I was thinking of updating due to some apps not working anymore due to old software. Thanks to the Bogleheads :sharebeer

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:23 pm
BackOfTheNet wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:05 pm
Pizza_and_Beer wrote:

See the official thread/FAQ:

https://support.google.com/fi/thread/643233?hl=en
I just purchased a device during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday sale. Do I need to return my device to take advantage of this offer?

You can contact support today to see if your Black Friday/Cyber Monday purchase is eligible for price protection. Note: there is no price protection for orders that were placed before Black Friday.
There's apparently effectively no way to reach them by phone, and chat support is down, so I sent them an email asking about price protection.
Thanks!

I tried calling Google Fi Customer Service to try to get the price protection. After waiting on the phone for 20 minutes, I got kicked out of the cue and hanged up on. :oops:

I guess I'll be sending an e-mail too instead.

I just wish I went with a 128 Gb model instead. Would have had Google subsidizing the extra cost too!
Last edited by Pizza_and_Beer on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 pm

may want to check the coverage map before running w/ this. I recall looking at this before and passing for that reason....same issue now. Maybe down the road!

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:19 pm

F150HD wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:04 pm
may want to check the coverage map before running w/ this. I recall looking at this before and passing for that reason....same issue now. Maybe down the road!
It should basically be an overlay of Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular, with automatic switching between networks. (not sure, though, how it does the selection -- does it only switch from, say, T-Mobile, to Sprint if there is no service at all for T-Mobile, or is it smart enough to pick the best network for a given location?)

I have had Fi for about a month, and it's worked well so far. I am not much of a voice guy, so data service is the more important part for me, and specifically international data service. Used it in two European countries recently without issues.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:21 pm

Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:59 pm
I tried calling Google Fi Customer Service to try to get the price protection. After waiting on the phone for 20 minutes, I got kicked out of the cue and hanged up on. :oops:

I guess I'll be sending an e-mail too instead.

I just wish I went with a 128 Gb model instead. Would have had Google subsidizing the extra cost too!
Yeah, I don't think anyone's really getting through to customer service via the phone and call-backs aren't working either according to what I see reported on that page I linked to. Lots of angry people on that thread :shock:

I did buy a 128GB model.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:25 pm

cutehumor wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:48 pm
BusterMcTaco wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:01 pm
I got pixel3 XL ordered. I was glad to get this deal. I signed up for a new google email account and used my cell phone number to port.
I didn't want to loose my google voice, I use it for my obihai phone adapter at home. My cell phone is five years old and I was thinking of updating due to some apps not working anymore due to old software. Thanks to the Bogleheads :sharebeer
I ordered the same. I ported an old GV number tied to an alternate email that I never use. I plan on cancelling after 120 days. I already have 10 months remaining on a prepaid plan so Fi really doesn't benefit me at this time (unless I travel internationally in the 120 days).

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:26 pm

Google Fi *is* smart enough to pick the best carrier signal if multiple ones are available and wi-fi isn't. I have a Pixel 2 XL and love the service. Been on it two years. See other threads on Bogleheads if you need more info, for example: viewtopic.php?t=259959

Waiting for likely Black Friday 2019 deal on Pixel 4 (?!) and will port my wife's AT&T service and upgrade her iPhone to a Pixel 4 and put her on a family plan with me for an additional $15 voice + $10 data (or whatever it costs in 2019).
Last edited by TimeRunner on Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Man assumes more intelligence than dolphins because he achieves so much, while dolphins just have a good time. Dolphins believe they're more intelligent than man - for precisely the same reason. (HGG)

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm

Deal appears to be dead (out of stock).

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:19 pm

This deal has been a disaster!!

It was on the website when I went to order a few hours ago. I spent twenty minutes or so in the cart researching options. I ordered. $850. Confirmation that it went through my credit card. No confirmation about the travel promotion at all.

Then I find out Google sent a tweet that the deal was gone. My order confirmation was 9:59 EST and the tweet was two minutes later. But no indication at all whether I got the deal or not. Tons of people are in the same boat. Tons of people had orders freeze in their carts.

Google is going with the "while supplies last" canard. But any logical person would assume that supplies means phones in the store, not electronic gift cards (e.g., cash).

I'll call and report back later. But this has made me very wary of any online deal that's not just straight cash off the purchase price...

Marylander1

Post by Marylander1 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:27 pm
Many phones still show in stock for me, including all 3 colors of Pixel 3 with 64GB. It appears the sale continues until midnight PST.

Thanks for this thread. I was busy at work and saw but didn't really notice the announcements elsewhere. I trust this forum for unvarnished info, looked into it, and bought one for my existing Fi account tonight.

Marylander1

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:37 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm
TravelGeek wrote:
Many phones still show in stock for me, including all 3 colors of Pixel 3 with 64GB. It appears the sale continues until midnight PST.

Thanks for this thread. I was busy at work and saw but didn't really notice the announcements elsewhere. I trust this forum for unvarnished info, looked into it, and bought one for my existing Fi account tonight.

Marylander1
I would advise you contact them tomorrow to make sure you got the deal. Google tweeted (very official) that the deal is over but are still allowing orders from the website. Very misleading.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:38 pm

Marylander1 wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:25 pm
TravelGeek wrote:

Marylander1
It's the gift cards that are out of stock.

I was in the middle of purchasing two new phones when the deal expired. I had put in credit card information and everything. I happened to notice that the deal checked off wasn't the same one as the link I clicked on to purchase (the gift card promotion). This has been a very disappointing experience for me and leaves me with a bad impression of Google Fi.

You should check to make sure you purchased before 10:30 PM EST. Again, like I said, it was not pointed out to me as I was going through the purchasing process that the deal was no longer valid and I could have easily bought the phones had I not been fully paying attention.

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 pm

I placed an order earlier and these are the numbers from my order confirmation. Thanks for the heads up harrychan and good luck to everyone else.

Subtotal:$799.00
Discount:-$799.00
Estimated Tax:$71.91
Shipping:$0.00
Total:$71.91

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 am

Uh, I ordered this morning and my email confirmation has nothing about the discount. Just it total price. Did I screw up? I didn't see a promo code or anything.

blinx77

Post by blinx77 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:21 am

BusterMcTaco wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:05 am
Uh, I ordered this morning and my email confirmation has nothing about the discount. Just it total price. Did I screw up? I didn't see a promo code or anything.
No. Per reddit, a lot of people who ordered early saw nothing. Then people who ordered later in the day starting seeing things in their cart. But not everybody. Then google suddenly took the deal off their website and sent a tweet saying it was over but still allowed you to buy phones.

They also briefly had a $200 off deal then that disappeared too. And stories of people seeing one price and then clicking onto the next order screen and getting a different one.

So some people will end up with a screaming good deal, but in terms of rollout it was really just a mess all around.

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:34 am

blinx77 wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:21 am
BusterMcTaco wrote:
No. Per reddit, a lot of people who ordered early saw nothing. Then people who ordered later in the day starting seeing things in their cart. But not everybody. Then google suddenly took the deal off their website and sent a tweet saying it was over but still allowed you to buy phones.

They also briefly had a $200 off deal then that disappeared too. And stories of people seeing one price and then clicking onto the next order screen and getting a different one.

So some people will end up with a screaming good deal, but in terms of rollout it was really just a mess all around.
I can confirm this.

I saw the gift card promotion on one screen (where I entered billing information) and then a $200 off deal on another (where I entered shipping information). The link I originally clicked on was for the gift card promotion but it must have run out while I was in the middle of ordering. Fortunately I was paying enough attention to notice this otherwise I may have accidentally ordered.

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:40 am

What a fiasco! :oops:

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 am

crossbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 pm
I placed an order earlier and these are the numbers from my order confirmation. Thanks for the heads up harrychan and good luck to everyone else.

Can you check your credit card online? I am billed for the entire phone price pending shipment. My order went through at 844pm central time

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 am

blinx77 wrote:
BusterMcTaco wrote:

How can we confirm we got the gift card deal? When I ordered the $899 (see terms) was hyperlink to gift card terms on how to not disqualify losing gift card deal

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:30 am

cutehumor wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:02 am
blinx77 wrote:
BusterMcTaco wrote:

How can we confirm we got the gift card deal? When I ordered the $899 (see terms) was hyperlink to gift card terms on how to not disqualify losing gift card deal

The promotion showed on the checkout page for me. However it doesn't show in the confirmation or order details online (I should have taken a screen shot of it). :oops:

I did see, and it was well before the deadline, the Pixel 3 xl switched to $200 off and a $100 service credit when I checked later.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:57 am

Now that people got the offer (well, hopefully), what are you going to do in terms of gift cards? I don't fly on Delta so I am between the Hotels.com or the AirBnb. I could use either, however I have been put off lately with the addition of so many extra charges/fees on AirBnb that seems to negate a lot of places vs. hotels.

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:13 am

These were "offer no longer available" when I checked at 10pm yesterday.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

crossbow

Post by crossbow » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:17 am

cutehumor wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:51 am
crossbow wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:44 pm

Can you check your credit card online? I am billed for the entire phone price pending shipment. My order went through at 844pm central time
Ha, interesting. Just checked. I've only been billed for $71.91 (still under pending transactions). I wonder what my situation is. I would have thought I'll get billed the full $799+tax, and then get a gift card in 3 months time. If I simply got a cash discount of $799 upfront, can't say I'm gonna call them up to ask for a gift card instead.

BusterMcTaco

Post by BusterMcTaco » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 am

Hey, I finally got my callback from Google... At 1:30 AM!!! :annoyed

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am

Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
I don't think it's a better deal, you have to spend money to get the benefit of those travel credits and comply with the terms of each company. I rather get the straight $400 (200 off the phone and 200 off the Fi bill).

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 pm

mptfan wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am
Pizza_and_Beer wrote:
I don't think it's a better deal, you have to spend money to get the benefit of those travel credits and comply with the terms of each company. I rather get the straight $400 (200 off the phone and 200 off the Fi bill).
To each their own, I guess. I wouldn’t have problems using the Delta travel credit. I buy Delta gift cards with my Amex credit card travel allowance anyway.

By the way, what is that $200 Project Fi credit for? The BF deal was, as far as I recall, $150 off a Pixel 3 and $200 off a Pixel 3XL.

cutehumor

Post by cutehumor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm

I've been reading google forums and doctor of credit. There are several posts of people saying google customer service will honor the gift card promotion, if the online order was done before 7pm pacific standard time. I beat it by 16 minutes. There is no official announcement by google yet. There are alot of posts of angry people who bought google pixels on black friday and cyber monday and want the travel gift card promotion instead, they want the price protection of their purchases. alot of people are saying if they don't get it, they will return their phones they bought on black friday/cyber monday. So, it's probably why they pulled the travel gift card offers.

Minderbinder

Post by Minderbinder » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

cutehumor wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:55 pm
I've been reading google forums and doctor of credit. There are several posts of people saying google customer service will honor the gift card promotion, if the online order was done before 7pm pacific standard time. I beat it by 16 minutes. There is no official announcement by google yet. There are alot of posts of angry people who bought google pixels on black friday and cyber monday and want the travel gift card promotion instead, they want the price protection of their purchases. alot of people are saying if they don't get it, they will return their phones they bought on black friday/cyber monday. So, it's probably why they pulled the travel gift card offers.
FWIW, I waited around online in chat for like 3 hours this morning and they confirmed my order is eligible.

I ordered it about 3 minutes before you did.

I'd still feel way better if I had an email receipt saying that the travel promotion was applied. i don't like just blind trusting to the process.

OP, I owe you a beer. This was an epic deal.