So that's why 2-day shipping isn't what I expected!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
student5

So that's why 2-day shipping isn't what I expected!

Post by student5 »

muddgirl

Re: So that's why 2-day shipping isn't what I expected!

Post by muddgirl »

So if Amazon uses their own Amazon Logistics service for shipping, then the two day delivery clock starts when the driver leaves the truck?

I only ever had a problem with late "two day deliveries" after Amazon started relying on their logistics service, so I find it hard to believe that it is an order processing issue.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Nothing new here. Always been this way with EVERY company.

And clock starts when item leaves the company, not the company personnel driving through truck... :oops:
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, PHEV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
g2morrow

Post by g2morrow »

this is why I canceled 'Prime' - why would I pay for two day shipping if i'm not getting two day shipping??
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm surprised people are surprised by this. That's the way it's always been.

They provide an estimated or guaranteed delivery date before you check out.

However, a Amazon has grown the "fullfilled by" service, this has become much more obvious.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

g2morrow wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am this is why I canceled 'Prime' - why would I pay for two day shipping if i'm not getting two day shipping??
I'd say we get 95% of our stuff within the two days (e.g. order on Sunday, arrive Tuesday). Prime shipping has absolutely been great.

As others note, two-day SHIPPING means it takes ..... two days for the transit part of the order.
student

Post by student »

I go by the delivery date before I check out. If the order does not arrive on time, I may complain to them to get compensation (about $5).
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

g2morrow wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:59 am this is why I canceled 'Prime' - why would I pay for two day shipping if i'm not getting two day shipping??
We are not renewing in January. I couldn't tell you the last time we received a package within 3 days, the last one took 8 days. The only thing that kept me on this year was the 5% cash back with the Prime CC, but we don't order enough to make up for the rising costs.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

When Amazon says “Get this item by 8pm Wednesday” and I order it using that option, then they don’t then get to claim additional processing time. If it doesn’t arrive by 8 pm Wednesday, I get a refund of shipping or, if shipping was free, some other type of credit. If they want to give themselves an out with “processing time” then they shouldn’t make explicit delivery promises on the catalog page to induce a purchase.
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Most of these people are probably shopping for xmas. It is November 27th, why the anger that it takes another day?
rob

Post by rob »

The shipping makes sense but what annoys me is "guaranteed delivery date" - It just keep changing, so "guaranteed" needs to be replaced with expected or some other word that does not mean guaranteed.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Amazon tells you what the expected delivery date is before you place the order. For Prime items, it is almost always 2 days or less, and we get 98% on-time delivery.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

No problem with amazon shipments here.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I've had numerous Amazon packages fail to arrive by their projected delivery time. I've also had a number of Amazon packages arrive in poor shape. One even appeared to have been used.

Between that, and Bezos's need to monopolize everything and own the world, I'm done with Amazon. If you look around a little, you can usually find better prices elsewhere anyway.
goodlifer

Post by goodlifer »

caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am I've had numerous Amazon packages fail to arrive by their projected delivery time. I've also had a number of Amazon packages arrive in poor shape. One even appeared to have been used.

Between that, and Bezos's need to monopolize everything and own the world, I'm done with Amazon. If you look around a little, you can usually find better prices elsewhere anyway.
I have had several used items directly from Amazon that were sold as new. I even received a seat cushion that had visible stains and glowed like it was radioactive under a black light. I have also had a lot of shipping problems and there are 2 shipping facilities within a few miles of my house. The last problem caused a huge problem and I received nothing but a "So sorry" from Amazon. I've never received a credit or free months of Prime. As you say, I usually find better prices elsewhere. Walmart has been killing it lately. The only time I buy from Amazon now is if the prices are the same or cheaper and I go through Smile so an animal shelter gets a small donation.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

I can not remember a time when we didn't get something within 2 (or maaaybe 3) days if it was being sold directly by Amazon.
daytona084

Post by daytona084 »

It says two-day shipping. That means that the shipping takes two days. Shipping starts when the order is shipped. Seems obvious to me.
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

greg24 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 am Most of these people are probably shopping for xmas. It is November 27th, why the anger that it takes another day?
Last year, I ordered a Prime-eligible item on December 4th with a "guaranteed delivery date" of December 6th. I needed the item by the 16th to include in the presents for a Giving Tree. After a few days, I noticed that the "arriving by" date in the order status page kept creeping forward (with no record of the original guaranteed date other than a screenshot I had taken immediately after ordering). I had multiple online chats with Amazon customer support for the item, all of them promising some sort of escalation and none of them delivering. The item didn't arrive until after the 20th. I eventually got a $5 credit that could only be used on items sold and shipped by Amazon.com LLC (a small fraction of Prime-eligible items, and an even tinier fraction of the whole universe of items on Amazon), a far cry from the free month of Prime they used to give you for failing to meet a delivery deadline. This wasn't the first time Amazon had missed a guaranteed delivery date for a Prime item and given me practically no compensation, but it was the last straw - I cancelled Prime after that. No use giving them money up-front in exchange for fast delivery if they weren't going to keep up their end of the deal.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:18 am
We are not renewing in January. I couldn't tell you the last time we received a package within 3 days, the last one took 8 days. The only thing that kept me on this year was the 5% cash back with the Prime CC, but we don't order enough to make up for the rising costs.
I've never had Prime and typically, deliveries take 7-8 days. But if I use a locker, they're often within 3-4 days, and sometimes that if delivered to my home. I usually just wait until I have enough to order that meets the minimum to get free shipping. A couple of times a year, I have a family member with prime order something - if I don't have enough to meet the $25 minimum, or if I want a quicker delivery. Or, I'll just purchase the item in a store I walk into.
tmcc

Post by tmcc »

Prime regularly breaks their guaranteed delivery dates measured by their initial estimate. If they say guaranteed by XX date, I don't give a hoot what happens between then and now as long as I have my widget in my hand by 8pm that day. As such, this which is why I will not be renewing. On top of that, they are not the low cost leader anymore. Make sure you price shop everything first... target, walmart, local. I'd rather pay a buck or two more locally for spite at this point. Certain household items are 50% less at home depot and the likes.
Silver Bullet

Post by Silver Bullet »

Happy Prime customer here. Sure, they occasionally miss delivery dates, but I get mobile alerts notifying me when the item ships (almost always the same day). I found it ironic that the article states "dozens of customers commented..." Dozens?!

I'm a heavy user of Prime and consider it a value added service (Prime Shipping, Music, Video, etc). As such, I'll continue my membership.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

I guess sarcasm is hard to convey over text.

I also cancelled Prime when the price increased, as last year several prime orders did not arrive by the "guaranteed" delivery date. I understood that 2-day shipping didn't include processing time, but their "guaranteed" delivery date should. It is cheaper to occasionally pay for shipping (or save up orders for free shipping) and somehow our packages don't arrive much later than they did with prime.
NYC_Guy

Post by NYC_Guy »

Most of my free two-day shipments arrive in one day. Prime is awesome.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

No problems here. Very happy Prime customer. Hundreds and hundreds of orders. Can't remember a single problem.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Another fan of Prime here. We would be inconvenienced without it. Well worth the price to us.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

We live in a rural area and for many items the internet is the only real source, and Amazon is the big gorilla of the internet.

Sure, we have our share of items which do not show up on time, but the vast majority do come as expected. We have Prime, and use it even if we can find a slightly lower price elsewhere from an unknown vendor. So far, Amazon has delivered everything, we have never lost money, and the few returns we have are handled promptly and fairly.

Because we spend a lot and have few returns, Amazon treats us well. I doubt anyone on the internet can do better.

Even if delivery were only 90% on time (and it is substantially higher) Prime would be well worth it in our situation.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Amazon's service is heads and shoulders above anything I've ever experienced. Few examples that stick in my mind

I had an order that was already shipped out but I saw that the price had dropped by $50. I spoke to an Amazon rep who said that he couldn't price match as Amazon's prices were changing constantly and if they price matched everything they could not do business. But he offered to direct the shipper to return the item mid-shipment at their own expense and cancel my order. This took place in 20 seconds. I placed a new order for the cheaper item and received a refund in one day.

Six months ago, I signed up for the free Prime trial and asked if an order I had placed before I had Prime could be upgraded to free two-day shipping. The customer rep agreed but Amazon's systems charged me for the upgraded shipping. I spoke to another customer rep and they apologized. They reversed the charge, and then upgraded it to next-day shipping at their own expense.

Another example. I was having trouble getting the $10 credit for $50 gift card credit to work. The rep just gave me a $10 credit like that.

My experience is actually that two-day shipping usually arrives even faster than two days. I have had an item that was supposed to be two-day shipping arrive the same evening that I ordered it, almost like getting Prime Now service.

Ebay's customer service is OK but very slow to get anything done. Everything goes through endless call-waiting before anything gets done.

My only beef with Amazon is the packaging wastage. They typically use far larger boxes than is necesssary to ship items. Sometimes when I ship multiple items out together, instead of combining them into a box they will ship them out in multiple boxes. So much wastage.
spectec

Post by spectec »

Our shipping experience with Prime has been fine. Not perfect, but very reliable. I'd say it is much better than most other online retail purchases, although ebay sellers also do very well.

Do others on this forum follow the practice of frequently putting online purchases in their shopping cart, filling in all the requested info, then not completing the purchase? By doing this, I find that many times I'll get a follow-up email offering an extra discount as an inducement to complete the order. Not always, but often enough to make it worthwhile unless the original pricing was already deeply discounted or if its a purchase I simply MUST have by a certain day.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers
rantk81

Post by rantk81 »

I live in downtown Chicago. I have Prime.
Over the past year, more than half of my amazon orders have missed their projected/"guaranteed" delivery date.
Some items, per amazon's own tracking, never even left the amazon warehouse until after the "guaranteed" delivery date has passed.

Not happy with Prime. If I want something fast, I look to other websites (Target/Jet/Walmart) instead of amazon.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've recently seen that Prime now adds options to slow down shipping and instead give you additional perks. I've saved up about $40 worth of credit for future book and electronics purchases in the last month by choosing the slower shipping option. I can still choose 2-day though if I really need it in a hurry.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

My Amazon orders almost always arrive by the projected date, and occasionally before. My main issue is that the Amazon drivers never ever under any circumstances ring the doorbell (and we have two!). Last week they left a rather expensive Christmas present for my son sitting in the rain when I was literally 3 feet away, and the only reason I knew to go get it before it was ruined was because I was tracking it in the app and heard a door slam in the street, so went to check it out.
Horsefly

Post by Horsefly »

We have been prime for a long time, and probably will keep it despite some problems we've had with delivery. Most have been to addresses other than our home. Here in the Denver area there is a pretty large fulfillment facility, and getting most things (if not drop-shipped from a manufacturer) get here very quick. On the other hand, if we were not prime I would guess they would get here quick anyway.

I don't know if they still do it, but a few times I have complained about late shipments and they have given me a free month of prime membership, essentially moving my renewal date out by a month. If I got more late stuff, I would push for that.

Consistent with Bezos' plan, we are pretty "pregnant" with Prime now. We have three echos in the house, and at least one is playing music (either prime music or pandora) all day long. We also have a fire TV, and watch a couple of series and a periodic movie. For the price, prime remains worth it to us.
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

Horsefly wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:15 am I don't know if they still do it, but a few times I have complained about late shipments and they have given me a free month of prime membership, essentially moving my renewal date out by a month. If I got more late stuff, I would push for that.
They stopped doing this more than a year ago.
keystone

Post by keystone »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am My Amazon orders almost always arrive by the projected date, and occasionally before. My main issue is that the Amazon drivers never ever under any circumstances ring the doorbell (and we have two!). Last week they left a rather expensive Christmas present for my son sitting in the rain when I was literally 3 feet away, and the only reason I knew to go get it before it was ruined was because I was tracking it in the app and heard a door slam in the street, so went to check it out.
Or you could setup delivery notifications so that you will know the exact moment it is delivered.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am My main issue is that the Amazon drivers never ever under any circumstances ring the doorbell (and we have two!).
I had an opposite experience. They rang the doorbell and waited, then called me while standing at my front door. I was watching them on my Ring Doorbell the whole time from my office (across town). I was rather annoyed. My dogs were obviously annoyed. I told her, "Please place the package in the corner of the porch, behind the bush."
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

keystone wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:40 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:38 am My Amazon orders almost always arrive by the projected date, and occasionally before. My main issue is that the Amazon drivers never ever under any circumstances ring the doorbell (and we have two!). Last week they left a rather expensive Christmas present for my son sitting in the rain when I was literally 3 feet away, and the only reason I knew to go get it before it was ruined was because I was tracking it in the app and heard a door slam in the street, so went to check it out.
Or you could setup delivery notifications so that you will know the exact moment it is delivered.
Just the other day, my Amazon Echo's ring was colored and after asking it why, it said that a delivery had arrived from Amazon. I could go into the settings to configure it to do it every time. First time it ever did that and definitely another option for knowing that a package has been delivered.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

keystone wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:40 am Or you could setup delivery notifications so that you will know the exact moment it is delivered.
That's a poor substitute, and should not be necessary. Most of the time when packages are delivered, I'm NOT home (just happened that I was for this one), but my Father-in-law is. So there would be two realistic ways that he could become aware that the packages are there.

1. I receive a notification, wait for a break in work, and call him to let him know something's outside.
2. Amazon rings the doorbell like every other delivery service ever, and he goes and grabs it immediately.

So assuming #1 worked (more on that in a moment), it's tremendously inefficient. That said, I DO have notifications enabled in the Android app, and get them sometimes. I did get them for this and one other package this week, but not for 3 or 4 others. Humorously enough, many of the notifications include a picture of the package on my porch. If it's a small box or envelope, often it is placed about 4 inches below my Ring doorbell (which reliably notifies me whether I'm home or not). :oops:
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

this is why I canceled 'Prime' - why would I pay for two day shipping if i'm not getting two day shipping??
Been using Prime for years, but it is extremely rare when something doesn't arrive in two days. We frequently receive stuff in next day, even tho it was scheduled for two days. Of course, we did not order over Black Friday weekend. And even if we did, I would not complain that it took 3 days...bad weather, and the holiday crush will do that to a delivery service.
muddgirl

Post by muddgirl »

I wonder if delivery is better in rural areas where Amazon relies on USPS. My negative delivery experiences have been entirely with Amazon Logistics out of white vans.

When orders were late, the only option I was offered was to return the item. Since I am now paying for deliveries per-order, if a guaranteed delivery date is missed, they will refund the cost of shipping.
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

muddgirl wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:16 pm I wonder if delivery is better in rural areas where Amazon relies on USPS. My negative delivery experiences have been entirely with Amazon Logistics out of white vans.

When orders were late, the only option I was offered was to return the item. Since I am now paying for deliveries per-order, if a guaranteed delivery date is missed, they will refund the cost of shipping.
Not around here. Most every late shipment I get come from the USPS.

Speaking of which, I was supposed to receive something yesterday (3 days after order). Now they're saying tomorrow.

Even though I am a Prime member, and received "free" shipping, I'm tempted to return it.

If enough people did that, maybe they would be more motivated to get their shipments back on track.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
GoldStar

Post by GoldStar »

I'm disappointed they haven't missed the 2 day for me in a while. I need some more free months.
SixAlpha

Post by SixAlpha »

I've had 3 in the past two weeks that were many days late.

The first was Amazon Logistics -I was supposed to have two packages but the Amazon driver acknowledged that package #2 had been mistakenly left behind at the warehouse. Delivered next day. $5 credit.

The second item got lost by Amazon Logistics two weeks ago. Received refund and ordered a replacement that was delivered on time. Just got an email this morning from Amazon stating that the "lost" item had finally been returned to their warehouse. $5 credit.

The third package was shipped on time with UPS using 2-day Air, but for some reason it sat in a trailer at the Amazon warehouse for 3 days before UPS picked up their trailer. $5 credit.

Easy $15 for a little bit of patience.