water drips from bathroom vent

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
go_mets

water drips from bathroom vent

Post by go_mets »

Water started drip from the main bathroom's vent.
The ceiling around the vent already shows water "damage".

Reading on the internet, the cause is either condensation in the duct or clogged damper on the roof.

How do I narrow it down to one or the other?

I can't see the back part of the roof because the backyard depth is about 25 feet and then it is woods.
PFInterest

Re: water drips from bathroom vent

Post by PFInterest »

take apart the vent or get above into the attic/crawl space would be first step. no other pipes running there?
dalbright

Post by dalbright »

Is this the highest bathroom vent in your house? If so its common to have the highest open "hole" collect a small amount of moisture in the winter as the heat rises out (in addition to whatever you get from the steam in the shower/bath). Would also depend on your climate and recent snow/precipitation as could easily be a flashing issue at roof as well depending on how the piping is run and how constant the drip is unless yours vents out a side wall.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

I removed the cover and I can see that the water is coming from a the vent pipe hole.
I will need to remove the fan to be sure.

I don't have a ladder that can get me into the attic.

There is a second bath on the same floor also with the same type of vent.
Topic Author
go_mets

Post by go_mets »

Clogged vent opening on the roof.

Because it is late fall, I was able to walk into the woods and use binoculars to see it.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

The cause for any leak or drip needs to be determined and you need to fix the problem. Water problems, left unfixed, can cause very expensive damage for homeowners. I speak of experience (2 times)
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

You might have a vent pipe that's open to the sky-I did. I got an angled one on and it stopped. You should get onto the roof to see.
WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli »

Not sure where you live but it is not wise to have a bathroom vent which vents up through the roof and out as the longer the run the more likely hood of this happening. Try to vent out the side. Think about it in cold weather: You are taking very hot and extremely humid air and inducing into an aluminum vent which could be 50 degrees cooler.. "Voila" you get condensation and then it drips down.

In Michigan, this type of vent is against code not just for the water damage but the water is now dripping into an electrical component.. another hazard.

Be careful of this on dryers as well.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Is the other bathroom directly above this bathroom?
j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
pfrank

Post by pfrank »

Sounds like condensation.

First, insulate the duct or replace it with insulated flex duct. If you use insulated flex duct, make sure you don’t have any sags in it. Tom Silva did this on an episode on this on Ask This Old House. The flex duct will also cut down on vibration noise. Also put insulation around the outside of the fan housing.

Second, make sure you leave the fan on for at least 5-10 minutes after you finish showering. This will help remove any condensation inside the bathroom and inside the duct.

Third, you can always replace the fan motor to boost the air flow.

Good luck!
Lafder

Post by Lafder »

Sounds like a roof leak where the vent pipe exits the roof. I would hire a roofer to take a look at all roof penetrations and seal them.

If it was just condensation, it should have happened before and would be on the inside of the piping, not the ceiling around the vent.

lafder