Men's crew neck t-shirts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
pkay
Posts: 120
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:04 am

Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by pkay » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm

hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.

User avatar
whodidntante
Posts: 7104
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:11 pm
Location: outside the echo chamber

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by whodidntante » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:11 pm

I wear the Hanes shirts, purchased from hanes.com. I stock up when they are running a special, and it's cheaper than buying at a discount store like Kohl's. No complaints.

nicad2000
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by nicad2000 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm

Brooks Brothers are my favorite.

User avatar
joe8d
Posts: 4395
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:27 pm
Location: Buffalo,NY

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by joe8d » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:23 pm

Jockey "Life" are very good. Got them at WalMart last time.
All the Best, | Joe

InvisibleAerobar
Posts: 357
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:33 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by InvisibleAerobar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:26 pm

Uniqlo is the nicest i’ve worn. The cotton is relatively thick and holds up well

Rodethe600
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:43 am

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Rodethe600 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:28 pm

Jockey are great value in my opinion. Worn them for many years.

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by criticalmass » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm

pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.

stan1
Posts: 7985
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by stan1 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:38 pm

I use Underfit V-neck shirts (they also have crew necks). It's not what everyone will want because they aren't cheap and wouldn't really work as a T-Shirt but I like the extended length, tighter fit, and modal/lycra fabric that are comfortable and stay tucked in. They also hold up very well. I would not be able to go back to cotton under shirts.

User avatar
Tyrobi
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Tyrobi » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm

Another vote for Uniqlo, simple and comfortable undershirt.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

bowest
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:19 pm
Location: New York

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by bowest » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm
pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.
+1 for Costco's Kirkland t-shirts

brennok
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by brennok » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:47 pm

I really like the Jockey shirts straight from Jockey. Amazon also sells them. I found the ones from Walmart and Target werent as nice even when they were Jockey brand.

gretah
Posts: 226
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by gretah » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Gildan brand is my favorite.

Great prices at
https://www.dharmatrading.com/clothing/ ... g_men.html

stimulacra
Posts: 636
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:50 pm
Location: Houston

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by stimulacra » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:55 pm

nicad2000 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:19 pm
Brooks Brothers are my favorite.
Huge fan of Brooks Brothers in general but I suspect their supima cotton T-shirts (at $49) are a bit out of step for workday undershirts.

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Supima®- ... lt,pd.html

Drovor
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Drovor » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 am

bowest wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm
pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.
+1 for Costco's Kirkland t-shirts
Another vote for Kirkland.

mewantcookiez
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:29 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by mewantcookiez » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:35 am

Uniqlo Airism. Nothing beats them.

Strayshot
Posts: 607
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Strayshot » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 am

Drovor wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 am
bowest wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm
pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.
+1 for Costco's Kirkland t-shirts
Another vote for Kirkland.
Put me in as a many-year member of this club too, depending on what you look for in an undershirt you might think the Kirkland are on the “thick” side but that is why I like them. And they are cheap enough that I can turn the old set into rags or <insert dirty job here> shirts and just buy new ones every couple of months as the armpits get disgusting from antiperspirant deodorant.

stupidkid
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by stupidkid » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am

I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.

canderson
Posts: 325
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by canderson » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am

RibbedTee. You’re welcome.

themesrob
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by themesrob » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:07 am

Hanes or Jockey all the way. I tried the Kirkland Costco brand -- for me, they were WAY too thick. I'm not sure I've ever owned any t-shirt that thick before. If you're in a warm climate, you might like them, but they're very noticeable under a dress shirt. And for Florida, they were completely useless.

johan851
Posts: 154
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by johan851 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am

stupidkid wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am
I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.
Where do you buy them from? I've been interested in wool shirts as well.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9439
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:59 am

johan851 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am
stupidkid wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am
I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.
Where do you buy them from? I've been interested in wool shirts as well.
You can try some sport/backpacking type companies, for both wool and silk (surprisingly warm, given the very light weight).
They'll also have long-sleeved and long john types, too, but every place I've seen them, there are also the classic short-sleeved "T" type as well.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

mptfan
Posts: 5713
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by mptfan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 pm

Hanes Tagless ComfortSoft undershirts. If you are tall like me I recommend the tall man version, the standard size is too short for me, they don't stay tucked in.

TerryDMillerMBA
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:32 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by TerryDMillerMBA » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:49 pm

I've always gone "commando" under my dress shirts.

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm

Strayshot wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:22 am
Drovor wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:27 am
bowest wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:40 pm
criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm
pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.
+1 for Costco's Kirkland t-shirts
Another vote for Kirkland.
Put me in as a many-year member of this club too, depending on what you look for in an undershirt you might think the Kirkland are on the “thick” side but that is why I like them. And they are cheap enough that I can turn the old set into rags or <insert dirty job here> shirts and just buy new ones every couple of months as the armpits get disgusting from antiperspirant deodorant.
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?

(I do not use fabric softener and have no desire to put that gunk in my washer).

anoop
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:33 am

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by anoop » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm

If you're looking for luxury you could try Zimmerli or Hanro.
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?
What kind of detergent are you using? I have found in the past that certain detergents (seventh generation and ecover come to mind) left a residue on my clothes that would build up over time. Once I switched the detergent, I had less issues. I think it's a combination of detergent + water temp + volume of water used that determines how well the detergent will rinse out.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9439
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 pm

anoop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm
If you're looking for luxury you could try Zimmerli or Hanro.
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?
What kind of detergent are you using? I have found in the past that certain detergents (seventh generation and ecover come to mind) left a residue on my clothes that would build up over time. Once I switched the detergent, I had less issues. I think it's a combination of detergent + water temp + volume of water used that determines how well the detergent will rinse out.
We found this same problem with nice cotton towels in our rental cabins.
Turned out the housekeeping staff were adding too much detergent (too easy to do with front loaders these days).
After I re-washed towels with NO detergent... they were much softer again.
It made a huge difference, quickly.

I don't think that accounts for all of the problem, as we seem to have the same problem at home, but to a much lesser extent.
I've always wondered if the hardness of the water, or something else similar, played a role in this problem.

But for starters, try running the "clean" t-shirts through extra wash cycles with nothing added... just the water as an extra and double (wash and rinse cycles) rinse.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:29 pm

anoop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm
If you're looking for luxury you could try Zimmerli or Hanro.
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?
What kind of detergent are you using? I have found in the past that certain detergents (seventh generation and ecover come to mind) left a residue on my clothes that would build up over time. Once I switched the detergent, I had less issues. I think it's a combination of detergent + water temp + volume of water used that determines how well the detergent will rinse out.
At the moment, I am using Persil, which generally does a great job. Sometimes I use arm and hammer dye/fragrance free and Wisk (now discontinued).

criticalmass
Posts: 1402
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by criticalmass » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 pm
anoop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm
If you're looking for luxury you could try Zimmerli or Hanro.
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?
What kind of detergent are you using? I have found in the past that certain detergents (seventh generation and ecover come to mind) left a residue on my clothes that would build up over time. Once I switched the detergent, I had less issues. I think it's a combination of detergent + water temp + volume of water used that determines how well the detergent will rinse out.
We found this same problem with nice cotton towels in our rental cabins.
Turned out the housekeeping staff were adding too much detergent (too easy to do with front loaders these days).
After I re-washed towels with NO detergent... they were much softer again.
It made a huge difference, quickly.

I don't think that accounts for all of the problem, as we seem to have the same problem at home, but to a much lesser extent.
I've always wondered if the hardness of the water, or something else similar, played a role in this problem.

But for starters, try running the "clean" t-shirts through extra wash cycles with nothing added... just the water as an extra and double (wash and rinse cycles) rinse.

RM
I’ll try the extra rinse and cutting detergent in half. Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect any detergent will work well (maybe better) even with reduced amounts and always use the minimum suggested, but I will cut even further.

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9439
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by ResearchMed » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:35 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:32 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:27 pm
anoop wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:18 pm
If you're looking for luxury you could try Zimmerli or Hanro.
criticalmass wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 pm
I've noticed that over time the very soft cotton fabric (when new) becomes stiff, regardless of the washing technique. I've always been curious about that--is calcium or other minerals in the water building up in the cotton fabric, or is something else happening?
What kind of detergent are you using? I have found in the past that certain detergents (seventh generation and ecover come to mind) left a residue on my clothes that would build up over time. Once I switched the detergent, I had less issues. I think it's a combination of detergent + water temp + volume of water used that determines how well the detergent will rinse out.
We found this same problem with nice cotton towels in our rental cabins.
Turned out the housekeeping staff were adding too much detergent (too easy to do with front loaders these days).
After I re-washed towels with NO detergent... they were much softer again.
It made a huge difference, quickly.

I don't think that accounts for all of the problem, as we seem to have the same problem at home, but to a much lesser extent.
I've always wondered if the hardness of the water, or something else similar, played a role in this problem.

But for starters, try running the "clean" t-shirts through extra wash cycles with nothing added... just the water as an extra and double (wash and rinse cycles) rinse.

RM
I’ll try the extra rinse and cutting detergent in half. Thanks for the suggestion. I suspect any detergent will work well (maybe better) even with reduced amounts and always use the minimum suggested, but I will cut even further.
Do try it once with *no* detergent... with still-clean t-shirts, so they don't "need" laundering for cleaning. (This wasn't meant as a replacement for a regular "washing of used t-shirts...!)
Then dry, and see if you can feel the difference.
IF there is an effect of left-over soap, you should be able to feel it after that double extra rinse.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

roadking2615
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:40 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by roadking2615 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:39 pm

Stafford T-shirts from JC Penney

tommy85
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by tommy85 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 pm

criticalmass wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm
pkay wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:07 pm
hi there BHs,
Anyone has recommendations for comfortable (soft) crew neck t-shirts? I'm looking for some white crew neck t-shirts as undershirts for dress shirts. I am wearing Fruit of the Loom brand, but it's just ok. Thanks all.
Try Costco Kirkland brand.
1+ for Costco Kirkland

NextMil
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by NextMil » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:41 am

Jockey (find an outlet), but go v neck if you ever go open collar with or without a tie. The sight of the crew neck collar when your shirt is open makes you look like an amateur. I resisted for years, but have recently seen the light. It’s an UNDERshirt. No one wants to see your underwear.

Jb526
Posts: 28
Joined: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:07 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Jb526 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:14 am

Kmart's Basic Editions brand. Pack of 7 v-neck t-shirts for $13.00, beating Costco's and even Walmart's prices. Plus if you time your purchase during a decent "cash back in points" promotion, you can use those points to purchase additional shirts for free and without sales tax, further beating the prices of other competitors by a long shot. I've found the durability of the Basic Editions brand to be just as good as Fruit of the Loom but for a much better price. They're t-shirts, and in my opinion, not worth spending more than necessary.

rapishad
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:19 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by rapishad » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:43 am

I use BJ’s Wholesale’s brand - Berkeley and Jensen

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 2395
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by tennisplyr » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:41 am

I like Hanes products....inexpensive and comfortable.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

stupidkid
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:11 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by stupidkid » Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 pm

johan851 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am
stupidkid wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am
I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.
Where do you buy them from? I've been interested in wool shirts as well.
Backcountry usually, I like ibex or icebreaker brands. And I wait for a 30-40% off sale. I've had some luck with Amazon sales too. I've been thinking to try out wool & prince, clothes look nice but I'd like a sale.

It's important to be careful with your washing. I bought some wool laundry detergent, wash on gentle, and hang dry. Some shirts last longer than others. I prefer my shirt with a little elastic/spandex so it's fitting though I have loose v necks as well. Those in a dark grey go well with jeans on their own.

JBTX
Posts: 5717
Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by JBTX » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:19 pm

roadking2615 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:39 pm
Stafford T-shirts from JC Penney
These are what I have used for years. Most brands shrink, especially sleeves. Staffords seem to hold up better.

The last batch I bought a couple of years ago weren't quite as good, but still better than most other brands that quickly shrink.

rgs92
Posts: 2440
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by rgs92 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:33 pm

I use LL Beans. I have for years.
I also use (very cheap) Hanes imperfect white ones (crew-neck and V-neck) as undershirts under dress shirts.
All of these I have always purchased online for many years now.

Bmac
Posts: 335
Joined: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:58 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Bmac » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Amazon Essentials 6-pack cotton crew neck undershirts for $16.

krafty81
Posts: 250
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:01 pm
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by krafty81 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:10 pm

+1 for Uniqlo. V-necks nice too. The silk or cotton are both very thin and nice.

carguyny
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:56 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by carguyny » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:44 pm

canderson wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:01 am
RibbedTee. You’re welcome.
+1 - I'm a huge fan of their EVO Tencel Tan V-Necks, won't buy anything else now.

Before that I wore Merino for years and regular cotton for 10+ years. RibbedTee only these days, unless I'm heading to say Calgary in the middle of winter, then I throw on a Merino one instead.

User avatar
c.coyle
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:10 pm
Location: Eastern Pa.

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by c.coyle » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:41 am

Don't rule out polyester, which has come a long way since the days of plastic feel and stinkiness. Nike Dri-Fit is more expensive than cotton, but very soft and stays very soft and comfortable after lots of washing. You can find Dri-Fit tees in salt and pepper gray, which is fine under a white dress shirt. If you are going to sweat, polyester wicks moisture from your skin and drys much faster than cotton. This is a plus in both cold and hot weather.

For travel, polyester is less bulky when packed, and you can wash them in the hotel sink and they'll dry way faster than cotton.

IMO, polyester also beats cotton for briefs and jockeys, for the same reasons.
VTSAX - 50%, VBTLX - 50%

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1560
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by TxAg » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:51 am

stupidkid wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am
I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.
I love my Woolly shirts (buy from Amazon).

I have 3 and wear them for hunting/hiking/working out. Merino wool is soooo much better than cotton.

jlawrence01
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:34 am
Location: Southern AZ

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:12 am

mptfan wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:12 pm
Hanes Tagless ComfortSoft undershirts. If you are tall like me I recommend the tall man version, the standard size is too short for me, they don't stay tucked in.
Agreed.

User avatar
Socrates
Posts: 425
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 10:27 pm
Location: Margaritaville

90% cotton 10% spandex

Post by Socrates » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:18 pm

is the way to go, IMHO

They are light weight, breathable and fitted, but not constricted and they allow for stretch. Also, I get them without tags.

Costco sold packs, of both white or black, made by Nautica last year, but I can't seems to find them anymore. That said, anything with some spandex is nice.
“Don't waste your time looking back. You're not going that way.” ― Ragnar Lothbrok.

Beck49
Posts: 156
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by Beck49 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:01 pm

stupidkid wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 pm
johan851 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:42 am
stupidkid wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:43 am
I wear Merino wool undershirts under my dress shirts. I buy light gray as it blends well under various dress shirt colors. It's much better than cotton. More expensive but I travel for work and I can wear them on the plane, in different climates, and honestly one shirt can get me through a week and not smell. I try to bring two but sometimes I forget. I buy them on sale, usually $30. A big premium over Hanes and the like but worth it for me.
Where do you buy them from? I've been interested in wool shirts as well.
Backcountry usually, I like ibex or icebreaker brands. And I wait for a 30-40% off sale. I've had some luck with Amazon sales too. I've been thinking to try out wool & prince, clothes look nice but I'd like a sale.

It's important to be careful with your washing. I bought some wool laundry detergent, wash on gentle, and hang dry. Some shirts last longer than others. I prefer my shirt with a little elastic/spandex so it's fitting though I have loose v necks as well. Those in a dark grey go well with jeans on their own.
Another +1 for Merino underwear. I too would recommend Icebreaker for shirts. Note, that when I say underwear I mean both undershirts and shorts. The Merino shorts I like are Tommy John. I got into these when researching best travel choices. You won't get the odor problem you find with cotton. I agree to wait for a sale, but they do come along regularly. And no, for Bogleheads who really like that 3 pack of Hanes for $17.50, this is not something you would want to explore further. Good luck.

zero sum guy
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by zero sum guy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:17 pm

I subscribe to Hanes.com and get periodic emails from them on their sales. Just last week, I took them up on their offer and bought a pair of fleece sweat pants for 16 bucks, and they gave me a free pair of sweat pants. Also, they threw in six free pairs of grey, white or black sweat socks and of course, free shipping. Not bad for 16 dollars.
Sometimes they sell eight vee neck under shirts or eight pairs of white men's briefs for 10 bucks and free shipping. I like their IQ brand of underwear which are more smell resistant.
I like their Hoodies too.
i prefer Hanes over Fruit of the Loom. I like their quality better.

stan1
Posts: 7985
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Men's crew neck t-shirts

Post by stan1 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:16 pm

stupidkid wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 4:25 pm

It's important to be careful with your washing. I bought some wool laundry detergent, wash on gentle, and hang dry. Some shirts last longer than others. I prefer my shirt with a little elastic/spandex so it's fitting though I have loose v necks as well. Those in a dark grey go well with jeans on their own.
Extra care in washing, premature pilling, and itching of wool t-shirts drove me to stay with a modal/lycra blend (rayon), (at least for undershirts). Very soft, and although at first the idea of a T-shirt that hugs your body sounds strange it actually works out great with tailored clothes. The slight stretch keeps it tucked in and there's no bagging underneath the dress shirt. I'm a big fan. As I posted above I use the Underfit brand but I expect the more expensive RibbedTee product will be similar since it uses Tencel and spandex (Tencel is another variety of rayon).

Post Reply