Why do rental car companies give you all keys?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gort

Why do rental car companies give you all keys?

Post by Gort » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:51 pm

Friends,
Just wondering, frequently when I get a rental car the rental car company gives me all the keys to the car. Usually 2 main keys and sometimes a valet key all hooked together on a single wire loop. Why do they do that? You can't seperate the keys so it seems silly to have them all. If I lose the keys it seems like it would be a big hassle (and expensive to me) not only to replace the keys but also how would I get the car back to the rental car site (towed I guess, again expensive to me). Why don't they just give me one key and they keep the second in case a situation like this happens? I would still be on the hook for replacing the one lost key but it certainly would be easier and cheaper than replacing all of them!!!
Gort

jjbiv

Re: Why do rental car companies give you all keys?

Post by jjbiv » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:55 pm

Keeping track of the other keys would be a significant pain for the rental car company as vehicles travel around their network of branches. If you lose the key, they charge you (they don’t eat the cost).

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Not all rental car companies give you two keys. Quite a few still give only one.

Those that give two are some of the larger ones which allow one-way rentals (different drop off location) in which case it is way better to have all the keys with the car when it arrives in a new location.

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:33 pm

I just rented a car, one key.

Enzo IX

Post by Enzo IX » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Got a rental car for a long maintenance service. I received two keys also.

Goal33

Post by Goal33 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:46 pm

I find it rather annoying that enterprise is inconsistent. Sometimes one key, sometimes two. I am typically a one way rental car user. Literally every single time I’ve gotten one key, the drop off location protests and acts like I lost a key. I have to fight each time.
A man with one watch always knows what time it is; a man with two watches is never sure.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:02 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not actionable, below acceptable threshold, getting contentious). See: Personal Consumer Issues
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.