Toyota Dealer Lost My New Car's Key

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JW-Retired

Toyota Dealer Lost My New Car's Key

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:12 pm

My Toyota dealer got my new car in a rush from another area dealer to get us exactly what we wanted. Those other guys delivered it to our dealer with only one electronic key instead of two. So the 2nd key was lost or stolen at that other dealer. My dealer has been trying to get them to track it down but it's been a week. They are still looking, but they plan to just make me a new 2nd key from the present one's key code if they have no luck.

I don't like that plan since it leaves another working key out there somewhere, possibly in some crook’s pocket. It's just basic security to re-key everything so the "stolen" one won't work. I'm going to insist on that.

Anybody have anything like this problem? How did it resolve?
thanks,
JW
Retired at Last

fortfun

Re: Toyota Dealer Lost My New Car's Key

Post by fortfun » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:12 pm
My Toyota dealer got my new car in a rush from another area dealer to get us exactly what we wanted. Those other guys delivered it to our dealer with only one electronic key instead of two. So the 2nd key was lost or stolen at that other dealer. My dealer has been trying to get them to track it down but it's been a week. They are still looking, but they plan to just make me a new 2nd key from the present one's key code if they have no luck.

I don't like that plan since it leaves another working key out there somewhere, possibly in some crook’s pocket. It's just basic security to re-key everything so the "stolen" one won't work. I'm going to insist on that.

Anybody have anything like this problem? How did it resolve?
thanks,
JW
If the missing key includes the VIN # (which it probably does), that could be a real problem as the owner (you) can be looked up by VIN. In that case, I'd insist on having the vehicle re-keyed physically and electronically.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:28 pm

You didn't say what model you have but it is almost certain that the car needs to be programed to recognize the key. When the new key is programed they should remove the old key from the list. Once that is done the old key may still open the door but it won't start the engine. When getting an extra key I have had this happen by accident and I have had to take the car back to the dealership to get it reset.

I don't think that there is really a lot of risk since the old key will no longer start the car once they reprogram the car.

You might ask the dealership to make a couple of extra keys when they are making the spare since it can be pretty expensive to get them made later on.

If you my any chance lose all your keys then I have heard with some cars it can be extremely expensive to have a new key made so be sure to keep one key in a very safe place.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:14 pm

It's a 2018 RAV4.
JW
Retired at Last

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:41 pm

So I have to assume 3 things.

1) You don't carry theft insurance for the car.
2) You park your car on the street.
3) You live in the sketchiest part of town.

Yes, I'm being facetious. But really.......rekey the whole car? Let them make you a new key and get on with your life.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Watty wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:28 pm
You didn't say what model you have but it is almost certain that the car needs to be programed to recognize the key. When the new key is programed they should remove the old key from the list. Once that is done the old key may still open the door but it won't start the engine.
Thanks Watty. That sounds pretty OK.......... but dear dealer didn't say anything at all about removing the old key from the car's list. They talked like they are just going to hand me another key. Hopefully it's just failure to communicate! :oops:
JW
Retired at Last

GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:01 pm

It's not just the key, it's the electronics in the key fob. I was under the impression that it is almost impossible for them to get a duplicate of the fob.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:05 pm

Never had that problem - but I would not worry about the "lost" key being a risk to you.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:06 pm

GrowthSeeker wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 4:01 pm
It's not just the key, it's the electronics in the key fob. I was under the impression that it is almost impossible for them to get a duplicate of the fob.
Keys, including the keys with electronic fobs, get lost all the time.

AFAIK, and in our one experience with a lost key & fob, it was just costly, relatively speaking (compared with "the old days", when you just had another key "cut to match", etc.).
They had to get another key/fob and re-program everything.

And then we were back with the original number (2 key/fobs plus a valet key).

We didn't worry about whether the lost key/fob could be used for any mischief, because we knew where/how we lost it, and no one else was going to find it.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:31 pm

Of things to worry about this would be way down on my list. The car is in your town, the missing key is in another. What are the odds of (A) someone finding the key. (B) That person finding the key being a criminal and (C) The criminal somehow having the thought of and the ability to, track this single key to your specific car that exists in an entirely different town.

Get a new key and don't lose sleep about it.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 pm

Toyota can use their in house OEM TechStream maintenance application to programmatically remove the lost key from the car's internal key registry and then add the new replacement key. Ask them to do so and to show you a printout confirming the lost key has been programmatically removed from the car's ECU and Security systems. The lost fob if it has a blade metal cut key in it would still be able to mechanically open the door, but it could no longer start engine or operate the key fob remote commands.

JW-Retired

Post by JW-Retired » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:03 pm
Toyota can use their in house OEM TechStream maintenance application to programmatically remove the lost key from the car's internal key registry and then add the new replacement key. Ask them to do so and to show you a printout confirming the lost key has been programmatically removed from the car's ECU and Security systems. The lost fob if it has a blade metal cut key in it would still be able to mechanically open the door, but it could no longer start engine or operate the key fob remote commands.
Thanks, this is what I understand they can and should do if necessary, but now they may not need to. My dealer is now telling me the other dealer has found the wayward key and we expect to get it in another 2 or 3 days. I'm still bothered it should take that long, as this other dealer is only 30-something miles away. :confused
JW
Retired at Last

jumppilot

Post by jumppilot » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:45 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
Thanks, this is what I understand they can and should do if necessary, but now they may not need to. My dealer is now telling me the other dealer has found the wayward key and we expect to get it in another 2 or 3 days. I'm still bothered it should take that long, as this other dealer is only 30-something miles away. :confused
JW

I’m willing to bet they mailed the key, hence the couple day delay. I wouldn’t worry about it.

depressed

Post by depressed » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 pm

JW-Retired wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:02 pm
jabberwockOG wrote:
JW
Being the paranoid depressive that I am: The 2-3 days may mean that they didn't find the lost key; they are making a new one and just wanted your complaints to go away, so they told you what you wanted to hear.

samtex

Post by samtex » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:11 am

I wouldn't worry about the old key. There is probably a better chance that a crook could hack your new car than someone locating it that has the missing key.

Samtex