vacation in Maine, New Hampshire

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
indexonlyplease

vacation in Maine, New Hampshire

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:18 am

Wife and I are looking to travel to Maine for snowmobiling, ice fishing, dog sleding in January or February. Dates flexable.

Questions:
what area of north Maine
where do you fly into and how far drive after
would like to rent snowmobile and keep at cabin each night

Thanks,

Also, New Hampshire or Vermont is also good with us.

Keepcalm

Re: vacation in Maine, New Hampshire

Post by Keepcalm » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 am

Pittsburg, NH hands down.

Most northern town in NH, borders Canada. Snowmobile trail heaven, multiple lakes, a very scenic river, moose and deer among all kinds of other wild life.

Plenty of cabins to stay in up there. If you stay in NH you avoid sales tax.

However, there is one place in Maine that is 12 miles down a logging road and is right on the Aziscohos lake. You feel like your in the middle of nowhere, and the snowmobile trails are right there. However obviously going in and out of town is a PITA as you trek down the 12 mile logging road every time. However I will say, the feeling of being away from civilization was amazing.

The place is called BoseBuck Cabins...atleast check them out online.

Topic Author
indexonlyplease

Post by indexonlyplease » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:34 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:22 am
Pittsburg, NH hands down.

Most northern town in NH, borders Canada. Snowmobile trail heaven, multiple lakes, a very scenic river, moose and deer among all kinds of other wild life.

Plenty of cabins to stay in up there. If you stay in NH you avoid sales tax.

However, there is one place in Maine that is 12 miles down a logging road and is right on the Aziscohos lake. You feel like your in the middle of nowhere, and the snowmobile trails are right there. However obviously going in and out of town is a PITA as you trek down the 12 mile logging road every time. However I will say, the feeling of being away from civilization was amazing.

The place is called BoseBuck Cabins...atleast check them out online.
I will check both. thanks
If you fly into Boston how far of a car drive to Pittsburg NH Or is there another airport to use?

scone

Post by scone » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 am

I like Manchester airport, it’s much easier than Logan, much less traffic. BTW, cellular service can be iffy back up in the hills, so I always carry paper maps as a backup. Along with all the stuff you need if there is a power outage, obviously.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:05 am

I second flying into Manchester. Much easier airport to deal with. Between driving time and the stuff you have to do at the airport, you’ll save a couple of hours each direction.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:17 am

Indeed, Manchester is closer. The key is to first figure out where you're going to get the snowmobiles from and arrange that. I used to snowmobile in Groveton and Pittsburg. Pittsburg is about 4 hours drive from Manchester more or less. Another hour from Boston. If the snow is good, Lincoln, NH is great for trails and being not too far from stuff. We stayed many times at Indian Head Hotel which sits on the crossroads of several well marked NH trails. Back then, there was a rental place 100 yards from the hotel. One exit south on 93 were 2 other rental places.

On the other end of the Kancamagus from Lincoln are Conway and surrounding towns which also have several rental places. I've never snowmobiled there but a friend from work rented sleds and stays there for winter vacations.

A very snowmobile centric area in Maine is Rangeley, Maine. Tons of trails and you can get in the middle of nowhere pretty easily. I found the Maine trails to be far more difficult to figure out. NH has it down with very well marked trails and available maps.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

abonder

Post by abonder » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:00 pm

I’ve only been to ranglely, Maine in the warmer months but I can attest to the fact that it’s a top snowmobile and winter sports destination. It’s a little further than the options mentioned in northern NH but not enough to make it undoable. It’s also at 1500 feet elevation and gets snow more reliably than other areas. There’s also a local (but allegedly decent) downhill ski option and you’re about an hour to sugarloaf, which is regarded as one of the better New England ski options. Rangeley has a snow mobile culture - trains are widespread, lead to many restaurants and bars etc. with any of the options, definitely be prepared for cold weather!

DarthSage

Post by DarthSage » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:20 pm

Keep in mind--although NH has no sales tax, there is a tax on restaurant meals and lodging. It's actually pretty high. I have no idea if that makes NH worse than Maine, cost-wise. Manchester Airport is still your best bet, it's "Logan (Boston) Light". Plenty of decent flight in and out, and easy to navigate.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:29 am

scone wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:57 am
I like Manchester airport, it’s much easier than Logan, much less traffic. BTW, cellular service can be iffy back up in the hills, so I always carry paper maps as a backup. Along with all the stuff you need if there is a power outage, obviously.
They put a cell tower up this spring in Pittsburg, so the cell service is much improved. I'm not into snowmobiling, but go up there to fly fish. I'm lucky to live an hour from there. I second the idea of flying into Manchester Airport, it's about 3.5 hours from Pittsburg. I use a Garmin handheld GPS with the northeast mapping chip for navigating trails, plus a set of fresh batteries.

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:33 am

Here is the webcam at Treats and Treasures in Pittsburg, NH as you can see there's already plenty of snow!
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-w ... =KNHPITTS3