Beta Vanguard APP

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jhfenton

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by jhfenton » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:25 pm

The email is legitimate. I've been beta-testing the iOS beta app for a couple of months, and I received the same email offer for Android today. I have no Android devices, so it is not really relevant to me.

Independent George

Post by Independent George » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:53 pm

Why would they send it by email instead of a private message through your Vanguard account? I make a point of never clicking through links unless I expected that specific email.

StandingRock

Post by StandingRock » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:56 pm

I don't know, I just deleted it. Not really interested in participating anyway.

Topic Author
retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:57 pm

op this has been discussed before, I have it on my phone

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264108&hilit=vanguard+app

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:24 pm

^^^ Thanks! I merged ParlayBogle's thread into the on-going discussion. The combined thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (app).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:31 pm

Is the actual download from Vanguard??

:!: You should only download apps from the "official" sources, which are:

- Android Apps on Google Play
- App Store - Apple

Why? Because the app must be validated to ensure it complies with your cellphone's OS, especially for security.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Topic Author
retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:10 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:31 pm
Is the actual download from Vanguard??

:!: You should only download apps from the "official" sources, which are:

- Android Apps on Google Play
- App Store - Apple

Why? Because the app must be validated to ensure it complies with your cellphone's OS, especially for security.
yes the app is legitimate it is downloaded from "testflight" from Apple store which is Apple certified beta app.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm
You'll just need an iPhone and at least one brokerage account with one or more holdings.[/i]
Interesting... mine said Android. Probably because I have used their Android app (once) to access Vanguard, even though I use an iPhone now.

(I don't plan to participate. Not for security reasons. I just have no use for accessing brokerage apps from a phone unless it were an emergency.)
Trade the news and you will lose.

Topic Author
retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:24 pm

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:22 pm

Interesting... mine said Android. Probably because I have used their Android app (once) to access Vanguard, even though I use an iPhone now.

(I don't plan to participate. Not for security reasons. I just have no use for accessing brokerage apps from a phone unless it were an emergency.)
Apparently they are rolling out Android versions of it now, ISO were first beta testers.

ThereAreNoGurus

Post by ThereAreNoGurus » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:29 pm

I see, thanks.

Just noticed the date of original post. :oops:

I usually don't miss that, but since I got the email today, I incorrectly assumed.
Trade the news and you will lose.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 am
When we get those calls from the "fraud dept" of a charge card, they usually tell us the amount (or approx), and ask if we did indeed just make such a charge. More and more, those come in as a text message, asking us to reply that it is a valid charge - or not.
When WE have just processed a charge, and someone claiming to be "our charge card company" (or VISA/etc.) quickly then calls us, and does not ask for any other personal info, that seems fine. (At least, I can't quite see how it could go badly wrong, given they aren't asking for any security codes or such...?)
If you get a text from your credit card company and it shows the last 4 digits of your account number and some transactions, it is presumably because you authorized text alerts. So I wouldn't worry about the alert per se. But I would call them to follow up if it was a fraudulent transaction and not just click NO on the text message.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:43 am

cherijoh wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:00 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 am
When we get those calls from the "fraud dept" of a charge card, they usually tell us the amount (or approx), and ask if we did indeed just make such a charge. More and more, those come in as a text message, asking us to reply that it is a valid charge - or not.
When WE have just processed a charge, and someone claiming to be "our charge card company" (or VISA/etc.) quickly then calls us, and does not ask for any other personal info, that seems fine. (At least, I can't quite see how it could go badly wrong, given they aren't asking for any security codes or such...?)
If you get a text from your credit card company and it shows the last 4 digits of your account number and some transactions, it is presumably because you authorized text alerts. So I wouldn't worry about the alert per se. But I would call them to follow up if it was a fraudulent transaction and not just click NO on the text message.
Oh, we'd deal with it FAST if it weren't "us" making the transaction!
As that car ad used to say, "Zoom, zoom" :wink:

I was more commenting on how there could be some sort of funny business by replying "OK" to an "incoming" call or text about a transaction that we DID just make.

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.