The biggest / best web development technologies

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
ThankYouJack
Posts: 2279
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:08 pm

My background is ASP.net web forms but looking to learn something more current. I'm considering ASP.net MVC with Entity, or using some sort of PHP, mySQL, and maybe Bootstrap for UI.

Any recommendations?

shariq1989
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:36 am

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by shariq1989 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Something more current would be Angular or React front end communicating over a REST API with a Java/Spring or Python/Flask backend. You can find countless courses for these stacks on Udemy or YouTube.

ThankYouJack
Posts: 2279
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm

^ thanks for the response. Will look into those. Was just looking on Wappalyzer too for some of the most popular.

https://www.wappalyzer.com/categories/j ... frameworks
https://www.wappalyzer.com/categories/p ... -languages
https://www.wappalyzer.com/categories/web-frameworks

KyleAAA
Posts: 6799
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by KyleAAA » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Angular7 with a .net core backend might be up your alley. You can use anything you want to serve up your APIs but since you already know .net it will be an easy transition.

eugenem
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:54 am
Location: NJ

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by eugenem » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:43 pm

Another vote for Angular. jQuery still comes up frequently in my line of work (IT architect for a Property & Casualty insurance carrier), but I'm also seeing Vue.js on projects now.

React, Polymer, Backbone, Closure are also on the hot list.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 66
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Today’s biggest / best web development technologies

Post by Bogle7 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:14 pm

Whatever you pick will be passé in short order.

User avatar
Kenkat
Posts: 4428
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:18 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by Kenkat » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm

shariq1989 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:24 pm
Something more current would be Angular or React front end communicating over a REST API with a Java/Spring or Python/Flask backend. You can find countless courses for these stacks on Udemy or YouTube.
+1; bonus points if you run this on Docker containers

quantAndHold
Posts: 2015
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm

Learning computer science fundamentals will take you farther than any particular piece of soon to be outdated technology.

123
Posts: 3890
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by 123 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Learning computer science fundamentals will take you farther than any particular piece of soon to be outdated technology.
+1 The "tools" of programming are in constant flux. The problem with some "Coding" schools is that they teach "monkey see, monkey do". Now that might be fine to use the tool they are teaching but it tends to minimize the transferable knowledge of what's really happening under the hood so you'll be better prepared for the next tool that come along.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

drk
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:33 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by drk » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Angular7 with a .net core backend might be up your alley. You can use anything you want to serve up your APIs but since you already know .net it will be an easy transition.
^ It seems like going serverless would be an additional interesting twist for OP, and I see that Azure functions support C# (not sure how much overlap there is with .NET).

Oh, and think about giving a functional language a try. 8-)

ThankYouJack
Posts: 2279
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2014 7:27 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks all. Makes sense about tech becoming outdated quickly and learning great fundamentals is key. I download Visual Studio 2017 and was playing around with ASP.NET Core. Setting up a Web app with razor pages in MVVM seems most at home with my background in web forms. But I may set up an MVC environment to get more used to using controllers.

For the front end, I'll plan to use jquery, bootstrap and maybe a javascript framework that was recommended, especially if I set up an API for the backend.

KyleAAA
Posts: 6799
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:10 pm

drk wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:03 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Angular7 with a .net core backend might be up your alley. You can use anything you want to serve up your APIs but since you already know .net it will be an easy transition.
^ It seems like going serverless would be an additional interesting twist for OP, and I see that Azure functions support C# (not sure how much overlap there is with .NET).

Oh, and think about giving a functional language a try. 8-)
Scala is fun.

srt7
Posts: 290
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by srt7 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:30 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:42 pm
Angular7 with a .net core backend might be up your alley. You can use anything you want to serve up your APIs but since you already know .net it will be an easy transition.
I second this combination.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

Dottie57
Posts: 4773
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: The biggest / best web development technologies

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:00 pm

123 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:55 pm
quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:46 pm
Learning computer science fundamentals will take you farther than any particular piece of soon to be outdated technology.
+1 The "tools" of programming are in constant flux. The problem with some "Coding" schools is that they teach "monkey see, monkey do". Now that might be fine to use the tool they are teaching but it tends to minimize the transferable knowledge of what's really happening under the hood so you'll be better prepared for the next tool that come along.
+1

Post Reply