best way to find flights

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
28fe6

best way to find flights

Post by 28fe6 »

I have an upcoming business trip to Germany for a certain week in December. I am flexible on the departure date, return date, flight times, even airlines, but I need business class.

I'm finding that most online fare websites do not allow you to search by a range of dates, even though it's clear that choosing different dates can make a big price difference.

How do other flexible travelers find the best flights?
Vulpinus

Re: best way to find flights

Post by Vulpinus »

Pizza_and_Beer

Post by Pizza_and_Beer »

I recommend Google Flights.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
28fe6

Post by 28fe6 »

Google flights seems pretty good; at first I couldn't figure out how to get it to show only business class.

But it still makes you choose an exact date and doesn't let you enter a range for departure/return dates.
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

28fe6 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm But it still makes you choose an exact date and doesn't let you enter a range for departure/return dates.
Try to use the calendar feature in Google flights
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Google flights/Matrix work well and we always book directly on the airlines website, never third party.
jminv

Post by jminv »

Kayak allows flexible date searches. I normally use kayak for all my flights (although sometimes I complete booking on airlines website) but I also always compare. Normally, kayak is the same or cheaper than alternatives.

Have used google flights in the past as well.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

ft2010 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:20 am
28fe6 wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:59 pm But it still makes you choose an exact date and doesn't let you enter a range for departure/return dates.
Try to use the calendar feature in Google flights
The calendar function in Google Flights only works for economy, and OP wants a better class. I too prefer ITA Matrix -- which does allow that type of search, and also variable trip lengths.
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Google owns matrix.itasoftware.com so it is really the same search engine, just a different user interface. I used to prefer matrix, but Google flights has gotten much better and faster. There are plenty options to set/avoid airlines, airports, trip durations, etc. It now has the same power as matrix but a better interface.

You can also set flight alerts to be notified of fare drops. That worked out awesome for me recently - I set an alert for a trip to Europe that was averaging $1000+. Got an e-mail one morning that it had dropped to $498 and was able to book it. Next day it was back up to $1200.
John Z

Post by John Z »

Orbitz has a "my dates are flexible" box that you can check and the search results give you a matrix of flight and return dates along with the lowest fares. I believe you can search on business class.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

Pizza_and_Beer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 pm I recommend Google Flights.
+1
averagedude

Post by averagedude »

This may not help you, but check out Clark Howard's website. He has a travel guide with various strategys to get cheap flights. He use to own a travel agency, is very interested in travel, and is one of the top personal finance gurus on the radio. I really like the fact that he doesnt let advertisers influence the advice he gives. I will caution you though, i doubt he would ever pay for business class.
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

helloeveryone wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:12 pm
Pizza_and_Beer wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:44 pm I recommend Google Flights.
+1
Another cool feature is it allows one to select multiple airports for the search. I happen to live in the proximity of four international airports and have found substantial domestic and international fare differences between them.