Lexus NX vs RX

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
wabbajack

Lexus NX vs RX

Post by wabbajack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 am

I'm exploring swapping my fast-ish sedan (2017 Cadillac ATS) for one of the above cars in the title (Lexus NX or RX). I am soliciting opinions on those models specifically, or comparable models of CUV/SUVs at similar values. Most dealer prices for used ~MY2015 (<60k miles) models vary between the $25k - $30k range. I'm looking for personal experience current of previous owners have with regards to my two main criteria:

1. Resistant to potholes. I've already lost one tire this year, and I'm currently riding on at least one bent rim. On my previous car, I had to fix five.
2. Too slow to get into trouble. I've contributed to the coffers of 3 different municipalities this year.

Bonus question specific to the NX/RX: How can I tell if they are equipped with adaptive cruise control?

PFInterest

Re: Lexus NX vs RX

Post by PFInterest » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 am

1- pothole avoidance is the key. do that.
2- any current car can easily go >100mph. dont be dangerous to those around you.
3- you read the spec sheet.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:41 am

PFInterest wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:58 am
1- pothole avoidance is the key. do that.
2- any current car can easily go >100mph. dont be dangerous to those around you.
3- you read the spec sheet.
These are accurate, not sure what more you are looking for.

Lexus RX 350 has 295 HP ... you can get plenty of speeding tickets with 295 HP if you don't know how to drive it properly. My father has one, and he lead-foots it all over town. Amazed he hasn't gotten a handful of tickets, although since I don't live with him, who knows, he could have a dozen.

Perhaps go the "boglehead way" and get a Corolla?
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

notinuse

Post by notinuse » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:47 am

For more pothole resistance, choose a model with smaller diameter wheels and taller side profile tires.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm

More pothole resistant: steel, smaller wheel, high-profile tire.

Less pothole resistant: aluminum, larger wheel, low-profile tire.

Have been next-vehicle shopping recently and wanting a 15" steel wheel running a high-profile tire---like what's currently on my '90 Montero. Never lost a wheel or tire to a pothole. (Knock wood.)

Long story short. Can NOT find 15" steel wheels, 16" seems to be current smallest. And steel wheels seem to only come on base models from some manufacturers on some models: Subaru (16" steel, if memory serves), Ford F150 (17" steel, if memory serves),... Otherwise larger aluminum wheels now seem to be more common.

But a salesman did suggest that I could buy better (more pothole resistant) wheels/tires after the sale. Silly me, I'm wanting to drive off the lot with them.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:27 pm

dratkinson wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:02 pm
More pothole resistant: steel, smaller wheel, high-profile tire.

Less pothole resistant: aluminum, larger wheel, low-profile tire.

based on his history of speeding and driving directly into potholes, perhaps the OP should consider an old Toyota Tacoma with big knobby tires on it or something along those lines... sub-200hp engine with steel wheels and thick tires .. if you still get speeding tickets, perhaps time to just call Uber every day :)
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:42 pm

If you want a slow car with small wheels you are basically looking for a cheap car.

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

Boy, what part of the country do you live in with potholes like that :shock: or do you have a special talent towards spottting them and going head on into them :?

Either way, both of these cars wouldn't help, as they are both soft riding cars meant for gentle handling on smoother roads. You may want to look for some off road vehicles, may be a Toyota Tacoma or Tundra will do, or a Lexus GX. I drive one and it's really smooth around potholes, although I don't go into too many.

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:53 pm

I lived and drove in the northeast for ages and never lost a tire from potholes.

Also managed to get a speeding ticket or two in a 4 cylinder Camry.

OP doesn't need a new car, he needs to think (and drive) different.

By the way, churning a very new high-depreciation car is a financially losing proposition. Tires and speeding tickets will be cheaper.

Topic Author
wabbajack

Post by wabbajack » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:49 pm

Feel like asking for advice was just inviting a bunch of sanctimonious comments.
I drove for 4 years in the city without getting any issues, but that was with a cheap car with tiny rims. I'm learning expensive lessons in driving nice cars that come with big rims as features. If you live in a part of the world where the city fixes the roads, good for you.

I will add offroad-ish trucks to my consideration.

sasquatch12

Post by sasquatch12 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:58 pm

You might also consider the Acura RDX it just had a redesign and looks really great. It is slightly cheaper than the NX. I drove an NX. It did not really like it, I like the RDX much better, plus it is larger, more cargo space.