Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Lynx310650
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Lynx310650 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm

Needed a new winter blanket. Purchased a cheap down alternative comforter (says 100% polyester fill and cover). It's machine washable.

Do I need to get a separate cover for this thing? I've seen what basically look like pillowcases for comforters (duvet covers?). Or since it's down alternative and machine washable, can I just use this directly as I would a blanket and just wash it more often?

sjt
Posts: 122
Joined: Fri May 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by sjt » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:06 pm

Many pillows are machine washable. Do you use pillowcases?
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

ResearchMed
Posts: 7702
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:10 pm

It depends whether you want to wash the entire thing very frequently (dirt, dust mites, body oils, etc.), which will cause much faster wear and tear on the filling as well as the outer covering, OR would you prefer to wash just the *cover* to keep it fresh?

We change/launder the cover about every other time we change/launder the sheets and pillowcases. Maybe every third time, occasionally.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

northtexan
Posts: 111
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:11 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by northtexan » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm

I find that a comforter and a duvet cover are the easiest to use for bedding. I do not like washing comforters since the fill can get shifted to one side or the other and become uneven. It is much easier to wash the cover instead. I go with down filled comforter for warmth.

Rupert
Posts: 3821
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:30 pm

Definitely buy a duvet. It has been my experience that a comforter is never the same after being washed (gets clumpy, as a prior poster noted) and that a commercial washer is often required to do the job. Same with pillows.

Miriam2
Posts: 2356
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:51 am

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:37 pm

Here's where I shop for comforter covers

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/4094?pa ... ter-covers

Lynx310650
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Lynx310650 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:41 pm

Thanks, the consensus seems to be to get a cover. Funny thing is basically all the covers I'm seeing cost more than the cheapie comforter I just purchased. :D

User avatar
gasdoc
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2014 8:26 am

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by gasdoc » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:45 pm

I am no expert on these sort of things, but I did buy a down-alternative comforter from LLBean a couple of years ago. Washed it and it took forever to get it dried appropriately. Since then we only wash the comforter at the end of the season before packing it up. The cover, on the other hand, is no problem to wash.

gasdoc

retiredjg
Posts: 34420
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by retiredjg » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:58 pm

There is a difference between a comforter and a duvet insert. Which did you buy?

If you bought an actual comforter, you don't need a cover although having a cover will mean it requires fewer washings.

Funny thing is basically all the covers I'm seeing cost more than the cheapie comforter I just purchased.
I'd use it naked (without a cover) and wash it only occasionally if you use a top sheet.

If you do not use a top sheet, maybe you should...so that you don't need to wash the comforter so often that it lasts only a year.

shell921
Posts: 163
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by shell921 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:02 pm

northtexan wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:15 pm
I find that a comforter and a duvet cover are the easiest to use for bedding. I do not like washing comforters since the fill can get shifted to one side or the other and become uneven. It is much easier to wash the cover instead. I go with down filled comforter for warmth.
+1

nalor511
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:00 am

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by nalor511 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:13 pm

Another vote for getting a cover, we were using a comforter for about 6 mo without a cover, and it got to be a real chore to wash. Used a cover for at least 30 years prior, which was much easier. Went back to a cover.

seychellois_lib
Posts: 149
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:05 am

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by seychellois_lib » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:56 pm

Being a true Bogglehead I decided to move my kids synthetic fill comforters from their rooms to my boat when the kids got too old for them. I have had these comforters on the boat for twenty years. They do not have duvet covers but have held up well with repeated washings. The kids, who are now in their thirties, think its pretty funny to see their old man tucked into his sea berth with a Dumbo or Mickey Mouse print comforter. I have both. I will reluctantly share with the grand kids when asked.

We have down comforters on the beds at home and always protect them with a cover.

User avatar
stargazer
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:41 pm

Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by stargazer » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:04 pm

If you have cats who sleep on the bed, you will need a cover. I say this from experience, from having to remove cat hairs and the contents of cat stomach discharges from our comforters.

Ping Pong
Posts: 422
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Ping Pong » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm

Whenever we use a duvet cover, the duvet insert/comforter ends up bunched in one corner. How do you avoid that?

Chuffly
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:27 am

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by Chuffly » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:37 am

Ping Pong wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:55 pm
Whenever we use a duvet cover, the duvet insert/comforter ends up bunched in one corner. How do you avoid that?
The one I just purchased has ties on the down comforter and loops in the (inner) corners of the duvet cover.

I just started my first venture into the duvet cover world, so I can't speak to whether they are all made that way.

ft2010
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 8:22 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by ft2010 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:28 am

Lynx310650 wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:03 pm
Needed a new winter blanket. Purchased a cheap down alternative comforter (says 100% polyester fill and cover). It's machine washable.

Do I need to get a separate cover for this thing? I've seen what basically look like pillowcases for comforters (duvet covers?). Or since it's down alternative and machine washable, can I just use this directly as I would a blanket and just wash it more often?
1. fitted sheet, dovet cover (comforter)
2. fitted sheet, flat sheet under comforter
3. fitted sheet, flat sheet, comforter, top sheet
4. fitted sheet, flat sheet, dovet cover (comforter)

Either one of the above should work, the more intermediate between your body and comforter, the less frequent you'll need wash the comforter itself. We are used to #1 in our native country, switched to #2 when came to the United States, then over the last 10 years or so, changed back and forth between #1,2,4 (depends on the material of inserts, eg. #4 for Goose down comforter). We just make sure the sheets or dovet cover are made of cotton.

annielouise
Posts: 354
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by annielouise » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 am

You may want to look at IKEA if you decide on buying a cover. Prices may be more reasonable.

quantAndHold
Posts: 2102
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 am

Cheap comforters are meant to be used as is. Use it, wash as necessary, replace when it wears out. I had one for years. It was indestructible. Maybe a little too indestructible. It went out of style before it wore out.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 294
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by leeks » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am

annielouise wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 am
You may want to look at IKEA if you decide on buying a cover. Prices may be more reasonable.
+1
Yes, if you don't have an IKEA nearby, you can get a duvet cover for about $30 + $9 shipping on their website. But since you probably already have a top sheet, just use that between you and the comforter and then you can wash the comforter less often than the sheets. That's what most Americans do, you don't have to have a cover.

We prefer a fitted sheet with just a duvet (cover over a wool-filled insert) because somehow a top sheet gets tangled up in or kicked way down under blankets for us and I don't like sleeping directly against a blanket. We use a king-size duvet on a queen-size bed to ensure we both stay covered even when the other person pulls to much over to one side (or when children climb in bed with us). But it is more work to wash the duvet cover every time we wash the fitted sheet and pillowcases.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7702
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by ResearchMed » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:44 am

leeks wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:29 am
annielouise wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:27 am
You may want to look at IKEA if you decide on buying a cover. Prices may be more reasonable.
+1
Yes, if you don't have an IKEA nearby, you can get a duvet cover for about $30 + $9 shipping on their website. But since you probably already have a top sheet, just use that between you and the comforter and then you can wash the comforter less often than the sheets. That's what most Americans do, you don't have to have a cover.

We prefer a fitted sheet with just a duvet (cover over a wool-filled insert) because somehow a top sheet gets tangled up in or kicked way down under blankets for us and I don't like sleeping directly against a blanket. We use a king-size duvet on a queen-size bed to ensure we both stay covered even when the other person pulls to much over to one side (or when children climb in bed with us). But it is more work to wash the duvet cover every time we wash the fitted sheet and pillowcases.
We finally switched to a king sized duvet and cover on a queen be, long overdue. SO much better... plenty for everyone!

Quite a few hotels have switched from noisy patterned bedspreads (which hide who knows what :shock: ; we used to kick them into a corner and later ask housekeeping *not* to put it back on!) to all white bedding.
A few use duvet covers, but a lot of them instead use a bottom sheet below the duvet, and a top sheet over.
By morning, the bedding isn't nearly as neat, not surprise.

We prefer a regular duvet cover at home.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

goodlifer
Posts: 456
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: Dumb question about bedding and comforters

Post by goodlifer » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:48 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:04 am
Cheap comforters are meant to be used as is. Use it, wash as necessary, replace when it wears out. I had one for years. It was indestructible. Maybe a little too indestructible. It went out of style before it wore out.
I still have a comforter my mother bought me when I was a preteen from Venture. It is so old that it came back into style and then out again twice. Yet another thing that they don't make like they used to.

I would just use as is, too. I have a few polyester blankets that are washed frequently due to pets. I have to dry them on low with dryer balls or they start to melt. Drying takes forever and then I get a static shock strong enough to stop and restart my heart when I pull them out of the dryer. They don't seem to stain as easily as cotton does, at least.

Post Reply