Understanding the difference in cell phone OS types

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Understanding the difference in cell phone OS types

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I do not have a smart phone of any sort. I do have an iPad that I use mainly as an e-reader, for a few games, and occasional web browsing. I rarely use it for texting (Google Voice) or email (Hotmail).

I am still in mind to acquire a phone in the near-ish future, so deciding on OS is a step in that process. That I think makes this actionable. I DO NOT want to start a "war". I just want to get an idea of what the differences are, and considerations that might be important.

From my current perspective, the OS is almost irrelevant. The pad is just a collection of apps. I realize that a few of those would not be available on other platforms, but I'm sure that there would be equivalents.

So, I'd be interested in some information from others that have made a choice. Please be factual and dispassionate.
RootSki

Re: Understanding the difference in cell phone OS types

Post by RootSki »

If you go with an iPhone, all of your contacts, favorites, texts, emails, photos will always be sync'd with your iPad. This happens behind the scenes, and you never have to remember to do it.

If you go with an android, they will not. There are other ways to accomplish some of this, but it requires more work and apps to do so. Sometimes it won't work, until it does again.

Both are variants of Linux/UNIX once you get past all the glitz and customizations.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

When I decided to finally get a smartphone some years back, I had the same OS debate in my head. I opted for the iPhone because family and many friends were on iPhones. That meant I could get answers to questions and that I would be able to text with them without having to pay extra for a plan that included texting (which was a consideration at that time). I still have my vintage 5c.

Then, about two years ago I wanted to get a small tablet. At that point I opted for an iPad mini rather than a more economical Android model, in order to keep everything on the same OS, especially apps. I don't use all the possible sharing options between devices, but the ones I use make life a little simpler.
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

iOS sounds perfect for you.

I have an ipad and iOS fits my needs for a tablet. Ipads are cheap for what they do and they can easily last 5+ years.

I use Android for my smartphones because I like to have choices and prefer other google products.

When it was time for me to recommend a smartphone for my 85 year old mother, we chose Android because all she needs to do is make calls and send text messages. No use in spending $700 for an iphone that wouldn't do anything more for her than a $150 Android phone. If she has questions about the phone it's easy for me to diagnose. I just made sure she got a phone with a great battery and she's had no complaints.

When it was time for me to recommend a smartphone for my 70 mother in law, I recommended the cheapest iphone. She teached her whole life and was most comfortable with iOS. If she has questions about the phone, Apple has great customer service.

My wife has an iphone 8+. It's an ok phone but for $1,000 I think it's about $400 over priced but that's what you get with Apple. My two best friends also have iphones. All 3 have had to replace them in the last year because of bad batteries. Now that they are in the Apple eco system, they feel like they can't leave. The biggest plus I see with iphones is their updates. Even though iOS is very dated, you know you're getting the latest of what they have. This is not the case with MOST Android phones.

I just bought a OnePlus 6t after having 4 google phones in a row. So far I've been very happy and consider my phone as good or better than my wife's iPhone, which cost double.

I think it comes down to this. If you are comfortable with technology and like to get your hands a little dirty, Android is tough to beat. If you want the most stable OS and don't want to ever mess with anything, choose iOS.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

There are an absolute TON of differences, not only with the OS (android, ios, windows), but with versions. Good luck figuring outep which to take.

I kept ios7.1 for years because it pre-dated Apple's "battery throttling" intended for users to think they needed a new phone as it slowed down. My ios7.1 iPhone 4s never slowed down and compared to my kids' newer iPhones was screaming fast as they were throttled.

Many apps don't work on versions below some set number. I literally never downloaded a single app ever. I had no idea how to get into itunes or istore or idontcareatall. I have since been forced to a newer phone because my work changed email types and the old ios did not support it and the phone would not take a new enough ios. I'm now looking at apps and considering putting them on my new phone with ios12. I'm finding that a good percentage of apps won't download or don't work. I am unimpressed with "apps". The only app (1 single app) that I have been able to download, set up, use and find of any use is google maps. My banking apps do not work.....delete. A number of other interesting apps don't work....delete.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 pm There are an absolute TON of differences, not only with the OS (android, ios, windows), but with versions. Good luck figuring outep which to take.

I kept ios7.1 for years because it pre-dated Apple's "battery throttling" intended for users to think they needed a new phone as it slowed down. My ios7.1 iPhone 4s never slowed down and compared to my kids' newer iPhones was screaming fast as they were throttled.

Many apps don't work on versions below some set number. I literally never downloaded a single app ever. I had no idea how to get into itunes or istore or idontcareatall. I have since been forced to a newer phone because my work changed email types and the old ios did not support it and the phone would not take a new enough ios. I'm now looking at apps and considering putting them on my new phone with ios12. I'm finding that a good percentage of apps won't download or don't work. I am unimpressed with "apps". The only app (1 single app) that I have been able to download, set up, use and find of any use is google maps. My banking apps do not work.....delete. A number of other interesting apps don't work....delete.
Your experience is most certainly an outlier. I've yet to run into an app that doesn't "work". I literally have dozens on my XS, and I've never had a problem with my SE, 5, or 4 before that. There are plenty of apps I dislike, and several annoy me to the point of deleting them, I get that, but saying an app doesn't "work" is really kinda meaningless.

I can't give a summary for the OP, as there are just myriad differences between the OSes. I recommend Googling your answer, as you're probably going to get a lot of fanboy-ish responses here. I will say that apps not working is generally not one of the differences.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
dsmclone

Post by dsmclone »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 pm I literally never downloaded a single app ever. I had no idea how to get into itunes or istore or idontcareatall. I have since been forced to a newer phone because my work changed email types and the old ios did not support it and the phone would not take a new enough ios. I'm now looking at apps and considering putting them on my new phone with ios12. I'm finding that a good percentage of apps won't download or don't work. I am unimpressed with "apps". The only app (1 single app) that I have been able to download, set up, use and find of any use is google maps. My banking apps do not work.....delete. A number of other interesting apps don't work....delete.
Wow
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

RootSki wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:32 pm If you go with an iPhone, all of your contacts, favorites, texts, emails, photos will always be sync'd with your iPad. This happens behind the scenes, and you never have to remember to do it.

If you go with an android, they will not. There are other ways to accomplish some of this, but it requires more work and apps to do so. Sometimes it won't work, until it does again.

Both are variants of Linux/UNIX once you get past all the glitz and customizations.
My email is Hotmail, which I mostly access from my desktop as that's easier than even the pad. All of my contacts are through Hotmail/Outlook and/or Google Voice.

I don't really care much about photos. I take a few then transfer them to the desktop.

Up until now, all my texting has been through Google Voice. That might change if I had phone capability, but I'd be starting from new.
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I think we're deviating from topic. I'm not looking for recommendations. I want to know the differences and issues. I'm a software engineer and computer professional (ret.) but I've just never used a smart phone. I've had the pad for about 1.5 years now.

I've addressed a few things above. Really I'm starting from new, as the iPad doesn't have phone capability so it's been more of a computer in that regard.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

iphone- Clean, slick, lots of stuff goes on behind the scenes. Sometimes things change after updates, things may even disappear. Interface is minimal, sometimes to a fault.

android- Cheaper. Maybe too many choices. Integration not as good. Inconsistency of interfaces.

I suggest you play with an android phone for a while and see if you are OK with it.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

If you have an iPad you already have an Apple ID.

If you go Android, you will need a Google Account/Gmail account. One extra "something" to deal with.

iPhone is a more closed ecosystem. Android has much more variety how they are implemented on different devices. Apps and functions are virtually identical. You are just picking a stack. Apple or Android.

I'll appeal to your "base level" instincts. Less is more. Go with an iPhone of your choosing. 7, 8, X, Xs, Xr.

As a software developer you obviously have strong willpower. Smartphones are incredibly cheap and powerful. Plans are stupid cheap.

You've made it a dozen years without getting one. You win the "war of willpower". :wink:

Time to go get a smartphone. :o :D :arrow:
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

On a technical level, iOS is a proprietary operating system for iPhones and iPads, whereas the Android operating system is a system based on a Java Runtime Environment stacked on a customized Linux kernel. For most folks, that's not important. It does mean, however, that apps written for one will not work on the other without major re-writing. There are versions of many (most?) apps written for both operating systems, but they are not strictly speaking interchangeable.

I have had both Android and iOS phones. From a philosophical point of view, I'm more in the Android camp, as I'm a fan of open-source development. However, from a robustness and security point of view, I'd have to say I favor iOS, for various reasons. Also, a shortcoming I have found in Android phones is actually indirectly related to being open-source and therefore deeply customizable by the phone vendor, namely that the phone vendor typically changes the environment around so much that support information you find on the web for one vendor's phone is almost totally inapplicable to another vendor's phone. I have pulled my hair out in frustration more than once trying to search for a fix for an issue, only to find that the fixes I find describe steps to be carried out that cannot be carried out on my phone because the menus, icons, or other settings simply don't exist (they have been over-customized).

Although there are, I'm sure, trouble reports aplenty for both platforms, my own personal experience is that iOS on the iPhone is much more stable and reliable than any Android-based phone I have tested. Sadly, this (plus the proprietary nature of the system) means that Apple can charge much more for their products.

A side benefit of my phone and tablet both being in the Apple ecosystem is that they share a lot of data and settings through the Apple cloud.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

I have been a long time iPad user, buying an iPad 2 right after they came out in 2011. Because I had the iPad, I held off on the smartphone until finally caving in late 2015. I was originally going to buy an iPhone so everything would be on the same OS and it would be familiar to me. However, when I looked at the price differences between the Apple phones (I think I was looking at a 5s) and the equivalent Samsung phone (Galaxy S6), the Samsung was much cheaper. So I decided I would get used to Android. I thought it would be a harder transition than it ended up being. The differences between the two are pretty small. Some of the things I used to do on the iPad I moved to the phone, so texting / messaging did pose any issues for me at least. Bottom line, I don’t think you will have much problem whether you go with an iOS device or an Android device.

One thing I will add is that Samsung has already dropped updates for the S6 and it’s only 3 years old. I will probably try to get another year out of it but Apple seems to support their devices longer, so that might be a consideration.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 pm There are an absolute TON of differences, not only with the OS (android, ios, windows), but with versions. Good luck figuring outep which to take.

Just to correct a misconception. My take is that Apple throttled the older phones to give the phone more life. Some older phones were having problems with old batteries causing failures and throttling helped. BTW, Apple does replace batteries for a fee ($99) and which is much cheaper than a new phone.

This is from Apple

https://www.apple.com/iphone-battery-and-performance/
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

bloom2708 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 pm If you have an iPad you already have an Apple ID.

If you go Android, you will need a Google Account/Gmail account. One extra "something" to deal with.
I have a Google account but not Gmail. I won't be using any new email service. Hotmail all way. I've used the Google account for Google Groups for a long time, and more recently for Google Voice.

I freely admit that I'm an odd duck.
patrick013

Post by patrick013 »

I just bought a used Kindle just to check the news, email,
not much else it will do I think. Not much power just a
screen.

Looked at many tablets from 7" to 10". Apple, Android,
Linux OS's very common. One 10" new Onda tablet had an
8 core processor, 4G telephone capability, claims it can
do almost anything.

A phone is usually 4" to 6" screen ? Newer ones are fast
but not that fast. Some have cheap phone plans that use
your normal internet. No data charges then. For Apps
you could use alot of storage so get the larger amount there.
My cell phone only has 2G of storage and is easy to fill
with Apps. Otherwise fast enough. It's an Android OS with no
real problems. eBay had alot of new and used choices.
age in bonds, buy-and-hold, 10 year business cycle
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm
bloom2708 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:30 pm If you have an iPad you already have an Apple ID.

I have a Google account but not Gmail. I won't be using any new email service. Hotmail all way. I've used the Google account for Google Groups for a long time, and more recently for Google Voice.

Email is super easy on either. On iOS you can use the default "Mail" app. Just add your hotmail (microsoft) account. You could also use the Outlook Email app. Just download and sign in. We still have a Yahoo Email account from ~1995. I use the Yahoo Email app on my iPhone 8. I have 5 accounts in it. Yahoo, 2 Gmail and 2 Microsoft (One Live.com and one Hotmail.com). All of these emails have their uses. Some for email, some for Office 365, OneDrive, Google Drive.

With Windows phone being put in the dust bin, Outlook, OneDrive, Word, Excel, these are all "apps" now for both iOS and Android.

On Android you can read your Hotmail on the Gmail app or the Android "Mail" app or both or neither. Or Outlook app. Or browser based.

If your contacts are in Hotmail, then you sync your contacts from Hotmail (account setting option) and boom, all your contacts are in your phone upon adding the account.

Over the years I've had Windows phones (several), Android phones (many) and iPhones (several). I currently have an iPhone 8. I settled on iPhone for now because of Family consistency. 3 teens (iPhones), 1 spouse (iPhone) and me (don't care really, like trying things but settled on an iPhone for now).

We have a family Unlimited Cricket plan with 5 lines for $125/month including all taxes/fees. Stream away teens! I don't love spending $125/month for phones, but I know we could spend WAY more (many do).

Maybe continue the war of willpowers and just stick with a non-smart phone. You made it this far. Trudge on!
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:58 pm

I personally have been setting myself a price point of around $100 for smartphones. That way I don't care too much if I drop it or lose it. At that price point, the only options are Android these days. I held out for a long time because I didn't want to be paying large ongoing bills for data services, but the last few years have gotten pretty cheap as long as you don't watch video on it. If you have xfinity internet or cable, their options are quite cheap now.

I actually started out with Windows phones, nominally a bit more secure that Apple or Android for app environment, and I preferred the UI. They were always well behind on app availability for things like banking, though, and are basically gone now. Over time, I found that I was using the camera on the phone more and more, and that pushed me into going to a new phone and stretching the price point closer to $200.

I figured my wife would be happier with the more controlled ecosystem of Apple, so I got her the iphone SE at $200. A bit of a learning curve, but she's happy with the way it links to her ipad and the ability to easily do facetime video calls with the kids.

I went with android to keep more options open for low-cost phones. I've been happy with the choice, but I don't use tons of apps.

I use mostly a few travel-oriented apps (airline, uber/lyft, maps, weather). My wife also does a bit of banking (mostly for depositing checks, but also checking balances).
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

I had a Google Pixel 2 but came back to iPhone. The iPhone apps just work and are more secure. If you love Google integration, Android may be slightly better. Google Assistant/Maps/Drive/Gmail/Docs/Photos are all superior in some ways to iCould/Apple Maps/Siri but the iPhone is just intuitive and easy to use. Plus the iPhone is such a huge seller, if there's a bug there will be millions of people complaining about it.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

For the average user there's absolutely no difference between iOS & Android it's just a voice/text/picture/app platform to get to the internet. Very much like Windows vs Linux for 90% of the worlds users. As far as apps go all of the big ones are on both platforms and looks exactly alike.

For advanced users there's lots of differences but both platforms are mature and stable at this point so it comes down to what hardware your already invested in and whether you want something that just works and is easy (Apple) or something highly customizable (Android).

I was a iPhone user from 1 to 6 then switched to Android while the wife and kid stayed. I've been playing with boot loaders and Nova every since just because I like to. App wise there's no difference that I care about.

I would recommend Apple just because your already invested in it but if you decide to go Android try to get a phone that's very stock google (Pixel/OnePlus/Essentials) as Samsung or LG's version of Android is very locked down and not-stock.
70% AVGE | 20% FXNAX | 10% T-Bill/Muni
ft2010

Post by ft2010 »

For someone hasn't used a smart phone and wanting to buy one in the near future, I would say go with Android to test waters. First of all, you can get a decent entry-level Android phone much cheaper (than iPhone). Secondly, as 5G is fast approaching, chances are that one would upgrade to a new phone in a few short years. Unless you are already heavily invested in the iOS environment, this is not necessary the right time to get into it.

p.s. I have an iPhone (when iPhone 4 first came out and the old chap still works for my basic needs), and many Android phones thereafter.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

For your use case it doesn't sound like will matter much. For you the advantage of iOS will be familiarity from the iPad. iOS on the iPhone works much the same way, but then Android isn't all that different either.

The biggest advantage for Android is cost of hardware - you can get a very decent smartphone like the Moto G6 for around $200. On the iOS side that money gets you a two- or three-year-old used phone, or you can get a new iPhone 7 for $450. The biggest reasons people stay with iOS is probably iMessage; beyond that, there's very little that an iPhone can do that an Android phone cannot.
GAAP

Post by GAAP »

To me, it comes down to how you want to work with the device. Some folks love IOS and hate Android while others are exactly opposite. I would suggest going into a few stores and playing with some phones. That way, you can learn more about what feels the right size, what features or apps matter to you, and which system best fits your working method.

Keep in mind that the Android environment is not as monolithic as the IOS environment. Each carrier and each manufacturer will add their own tweaks to Android.
rich126

Post by rich126 »

Android is usually cheaper, and more customizable. iOS phones are more expensive but more secure. The app store is also much better with vetting apps while with Android you have to be careful because there is a ton of malware out there.

Now one advantage of Android is using Google Fi, if that appeals to you then it is best to use an Android (there are hacks to get an iPhone working with Google Fi but they aren't always stable with messaging).

I came pretty late to the Apple products. My first item was a MacBook in 2007 (I'm in my 50s). Then I got an iMac in 2010 (still have it). I also use a lot of Linux and Windows stuff at work and also have a system at home that supports both. Apple, largely because of their closed systems, are just more stable and reliable. There is a price to pay for it, but I can't recall ever have an Apple computer lock up on me, some apps sure, but not the OS.

If you are more of a hacker, play with devices, etc. person go with Android. If you just want it to work I'd go with Apple.

Oh, one other thing to consider is your car. My car (had to get a new one due to someone totaling it) has CarPlay. So I can connect (with a cable) my phone to it and I can use either Google Maps or Waze with it and it is great. Helps me to avoid traffic on my commutes. Android has their own system and I don't know what cars support which (or if cars usually support both). You can also send texts using voice commands/dictation.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:27 pm I do not have a smart phone of any sort. I do have an iPad that I use mainly as an e-reader, for a few games, and occasional web browsing. I rarely use it for texting (Google Voice) or email (Hotmail).

I am still in mind to acquire a phone in the near-ish future, so deciding on OS is a step in that process. That I think makes this actionable. I DO NOT want to start a "war". I just want to get an idea of what the differences are, and considerations that might be important.

From my current perspective, the OS is almost irrelevant. The pad is just a collection of apps. I realize that a few of those would not be available on other platforms, but I'm sure that there would be equivalents.

So, I'd be interested in some information from others that have made a choice. Please be factual and dispassionate.
Factual and dispassionate info here. I know little about phones OS options.
Your able to turn your iPad into a phone downloading & utilizing googles 'talktone' app. :happy
I'm unsure if googlevoice translates to googles sponsored "talktone" app.
Good luck!
Last edited by aspirit on Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
squirm

Post by squirm »

Why not just Google it.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

Over 80% of all smartphones run Android. Can't argue the data.

Of course....there are alternatives.... :P
-
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
MindBogler

Post by MindBogler »

If you are considering iPhone vs Android I would recommend limiting your choices to Google branded phones (Pixel 2 or 3). The non-Google android devices are so dissimilar from one another, it is difficult to make a blanket generalization. Many of the non-Google phones do not receive regular security or feature updates. If they do, they are often sporadic. Many android phones from phone companies are "branded" and contain all manner of junk specific to that carrier. It's like buying a Windows PC from a major vendor, filled with garbage and bloatware, and not even comparable to a clean install. In either case, you want to buy a carrier unlocked phone so that you can move between as it suits your needs and preferences.

As to the OS it really comes down to personal preference. As others have said, they are both Linux/Unix variants underneath. The major differences are UI/UX related. If you like the Apple ecosystem: iCloud, iTunes, etc., you probably want to buy an iPhone. If you aren't married to Apple and don't really care about sharing contacts or data from your phone to iPad or computer, I suggest trying them both out for usability and see which suits you best.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

My usual advice is select what you want to do with the device, then select the device that will do it.
If you just want your phone to make calls, text, take pictures, etc it probably does not matter.
If you want your phone to play nice with your ipad, get an iphone aka ios. Do you have a computer? If so, what OS does it run? If you want to move things from phone to computer, or the other way, it might matter.
For better or worse I've been stuck in the apple ecosystem for 30+ years. I'm too lazy to change, though I have been tempted a few times.
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:54 pmJust to correct a misconception. My take is that Apple throttled the older phones to give the phone more life. Some older phones were having problems with old batteries causing failures and throttling helped. BTW, Apple does replace batteries for a fee ($99) and which is much cheaper than a new phone.

This is from Apple

For some phones it's only $29 for a limited time (and it's running out). From the page you quoted:
Apple is reducing the price of an out-of-warranty iPhone battery replacement by $50 — from $79 to $29 — for anyone with an iPhone 6 or later whose battery needs to be replaced, available worldwide through December 2018.
I saw somewhere the price was going up to $49 after Dec. 31,2018. [I was going to be lazy and leave it at that, but it wasn't too hard to locate the page and link it here, so here it it]
Through December 31, 2018, the out-of-warranty battery service fee is $29 for all eligible iPhone 6 or later models. Battery service at $29 may be limited to one repair per iPhone. After December 31, 2018, the fee will change to $49 for all these products except iPhone X, which will change to $69.
https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

Back to the original question, most of us have made a choice (sometimes more than one). It's such a broad question, it's hard to really provide a useful answer, and reading the wide range or responses here is amusing.

Here's a recent thread from someone with a flip phone who dove in with both feet and is now running the latest and greatest Galaxy S9+. I think it's a little like someone going from a Model T to a Tesla X Lunatic (ludicrous) mode. Both phones makes calls and both cars can get you to the grocery store. I could provide information about why i didn't choose any of them, but don't know what to say that might be useful, and the discussion in the thread may be helpful.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=259528

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NnNEuxqoPo
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inf ... 47026.html

Apple CEO Tim Cook’s thinly veiled criticism of the social network earlier this year “infuriated” the Facebook chief, according to a comprehensive report from The New York Times on Wednesday. Zuckerberg “ordered his management team to use only Android phones, since the operating system has far more users than Apple’s,” according to insiders who spoke with the Times.
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
bpp

Post by bpp »

I’ve used both Android and iOS phones. I would say Android has a more intuitive user interface, especially for someone with decades of programming experience. Two things that drive me nuts with iOS are the lack of arrow keys on the keyboard (yes, there are work-arounds, but they are clumsy and unintuitive), and the convoluted file transfer options. With Android, just plug the phone into your computer’s USB port, and it looks like a USB drive, easy-peasy. With iOS, there are options for accomplishing the same thing, but they sure don’t make it easy for you.

On the other hand, if you are used to the iPad, iOS’s quirks may not bother you.

More importantly for me, iOS has a much better software update/upgrade policy, whereas depending on model, Android has a much more limited, or even non-existent, one. This is a big enough factor for me that I will stick with iOS until Android can match it (while cursing every time I have to use the keyboard or transfer a file).
rich126

Post by rich126 »

F150HD wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:46 am https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/inf ... 47026.html

Apple CEO Tim Cook’s thinly veiled criticism of the social network earlier this year “infuriated” the Facebook chief, according to a comprehensive report from The New York Times on Wednesday. Zuckerberg “ordered his management team to use only Android phones, since the operating system has far more users than Apple’s,” according to insiders who spoke with the Times.
It definitely has more users because iOS runs only on Apple phones which aren't cheap, Android isn't tied to one manufacturer and runs on a number of different phones at a wide price range (cheap to expensive).
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Sunk costs.
What you'd do with new device(s).
Stuck in dark ages.
Wrong place.

Sunk costs - should you be considering what phone you'd buy (which will costs many hundreds of dollars and could cost $1,000) based upon the ownership of another device? You call it a "pad", but you've made the OS choice - you're using Apple. If you're going to get an Android phone, then purchasing an Android tablet ($150 for a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1 at Costco shortly) is the way to go. Be all on ONE platform.

What you'd do with new device(s) - you're barely tapping into the iPad's capabilities. It's easier to get your email on the computer? No, it's not, you're not using the iPad efficiently. You never mention apps, so you mispurchased, wasting money on an iPad when a simple Android tablet would have surpassed your needs.

Stuck in dark ages - Ideally, you'd want to move to the 2000s at least. Ensure that all your contacts are on Android, setup an app on your Android devices to access your email via IMAP, and make sure your computer access is via IMAP. By the way, Hotmail was replaced long ago by Outlook, so I think if you check you'll find you're no longer using Hotmail...

Wrong Place - You're asking a financial forum for an analysis between two operating systems. Wrong place. You're not asking for personal experiences, so try using Google and finding a factual evaluation of the differences between them.

Some years ago my aged father in-law wanted a phone to text with. I showed him that his phone had texting, he just had to push each key up to 3 times to get the letter he wanted. He told me he wanted the fancy phones all the 80 year olds had to text each other in the dining room. Knowing the constant barrage of phone calls I'd get to explain / fix things, I declined. Earlier this year my sister gave my 80 something mother her old iPhone. I laughed, knowing the hell she's unleashed and stated "I use Android, not fruit, and have zero knowledge to help you.".
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
goaties

Post by goaties »

delted
Last edited by goaties on Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

We have 10 phones on our shared AT&T account. Us, kids, kid's SO, employees, and on and on. Have had this many for 10+ years. Don't even ask what the monthly bill is.

While there are obviously outliers, the Apple phones last like a mother-in-law's curse. Other brands not so much. DW and I get new iPhones every two years and pass the old ones down. We like new stuff and can afford it. Other people really like android OS and we have had more than a few of those over the years. Samsung is probably the best of the android crowd, but not as long-lived as Apple, and subject to some weird, unsolvable problems. (For instance, won't work in some specific locations where the Apple ones are just fine.)

Other android phones frequently fail in 1-2 years. Especially the lower cost ones. This never happens at high noon in the middle of July. It happens when you have a flat tire, after dark, with freezing rain falling.

The other advantage of an Apple phone is that the few times I have called for support, I get someone in the US or Canada, who speaks colloquial English and the connection is usually good. With many of the other brands, I get someone 12 time zones away, with a crackly connection, obviously reading from a scripted response book and speaking English which is hard for me to understand.

Apologies to mother-in-laws everywhere -- it is an expression.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
bpp

Post by bpp »

To add to my previous comments above, one other area in which the iOS keyboard is inferior to the Android one is in language switching. This may or not matter to the OP, but hitting the keyboard switch key on my Android phone gave a very predictable cycling between English, numeric and Japanese keyboards. With my iOS phone, hitting the keyboard switch key gives seemingly random results, with emoji often randomly showing up instead of switching to English or Japanese. This is very frustrating; predictibility is a cornerstone of user interface design. As I recall, on Android emoji were allocated to their own selection key, and weren’t mixed into the language keyboards. Also, Android has an optional handwriting-recognition input mode, which iOS does not seem to have. Useful for inputting rare characters when one is unsure of the reading.

Ironically, Apple computers became popular at my workplace a couple of decades ago because they had better multi-language support than other OSes. Now it is one of their weak points, comparatively.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

CurlyDave wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:13 am
Other android phones frequently fail in 1-2 years. Especially the lower cost ones. This never happens at high noon in the middle of July. It happens when you have a flat tire, after dark, with freezing rain falling.
Since the android phones cost 1/3rd as much as the iphone, you can just use the backup phone you bought:) Personally the only phones that I have had that stopped working over the past 15 years were the ones that were dropped. Some suffer battery length issues after a year or two but that is a somewhat predictible issues. Not sure OS matters much for that:)
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

The OS choice is certainly NOT irrelevant!

Apple
Pros:
- Very stable
- Similar look & feel across phone generations
- Fairly simple to use
- Plays well with Apple ecosystem (eg. if your home is full of macs)

Cons:
- EVERYTHING goes through iTunes. Want to sync some MP3 files? Must use iTunes. The bane of the Apple Ecosystem!
- Can be restrictive in customization. For example some devices do not allow you to install an aftermarket (soft/virtual) keyboard with a number row. You're stuck with the 'dock' button row in some instances.
- No 'back' button: you're left with only the big 'home' button and an application-specific 'back' menu button
- Many apps have a nominal fee

Android
Pros:
- Incredibly simple file copy with PCs, plug it in and it appears as a USB drive
- More free apps
- Native Google ecosystem (Office, maps, mail etc)
- Simple to customize. You can replace the entire 'desktop' if you wish!
- Incredible price spectrum. Brand new phones from $200-1k.
- Intuitive home/back buttons (a matter of taste I suppose, but for me this is a big deal)

Cons:
- File copy with a Mac requires some additional steps (free software) (still far easier than dealing with iTunes)
- Phones from different generations of Android and from different vendors don't share same look & feel.

My family is mostly on Android, the one kid who picked an iPhone (because classmates had them) now regrets it.
iceport

Post by iceport »

inbox788 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:51 pm Back to the original question, most of us have made a choice (sometimes more than one). It's such a broad question, it's hard to really provide a useful answer, and reading the wide range or responses here is amusing.

Here's a recent thread from someone with a flip phone who dove in with both feet and is now running the latest and greatest Galaxy S9+. I think it's a little like someone going from a Model T to a Tesla X Lunatic (ludicrous) mode. Both phones makes calls and both cars can get you to the grocery store.
That would be me, and I must admit, I'm absolutely loving the phone! If the cost of a phone is not a controlling factor (and it wasn't for me), I see no reason not to indulge in a flagship model. 8-)

As far as the OP's question, obviously I'm a novice smartphone user. But I did make a conscious choice for an android phone, and can offer a novice's perspective.

I chose android mostly due to an aversion to Apple's more extreme monopolistic tendencies. I also assumed that an android could offer more flexibility in app selection. It turns out that assumption was probably incorrect and, more importantly, irrelevant. Incorrect because the (very) few apps of interest to me that were only available on one operating system were available on iOS, not android. Irrelevant because I quickly learned it's probably best to be very selective in choosing apps to install. In terms of power management, memory usage and data consumption, the fewer apps installed the better, it seems. So the appetite for apps now seems a minor consideration.

When choosing an android, I had also assumed I'd be contending with a steeper learning curve, because I had always heard that iOS was easier to navigate than android. Maybe five years or so ago, a friend trying to convince me to get a smartphone even advised me to consider attending a "class" put on by one of the larger network providers if I opted for an android.

Well, I still don't know if iOS is easier (because I have zero experience with iOS), but I can say unequivocally that the Galaxy S9+ is about as simple to operate as I could possibly imagine. It's extremely intuitive and easy to learn. What's more, everything just seems to work, and work flawlessly. The interface with my PC through a USB cord is simple and direct. Streaming media from the phone to the PC or a soundbar via Bluetooth is simple and flawless. (Whenever I've tried with a laptop, for example, it would take a great deal of troubleshooting, retracing steps, etc., to get the connection working properly.) It's even a trivial click of a button to stream YouTube through my smart TV. One click makes the connection and two clicks breaks it, flawlessly. There are never any glitches. I'm still learning the finer points of the camera operation and sound recording, but the basic functionality is unbelievably simple — and gives excellent results. Even the voice-activated commands work flawlessly. I have never been misinterpreted by Google.

I don't know if this ease of operation is typical of all android phones, or just Samsung. But this is one data point showing that an android OS can be very easy and enjoyable to use.

One thing I hadn't considered is my aversion to cloud storage. I've heard that local iOS backup of personal data using iTunes is simple. I still haven't figured out how to back up my android phone (e.g. contacts) to my PC. If you have no problem using the could for storage of personal data, the OS probably doesn't matter. If you want only local back-up, iOS might be easier.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

Some people are getting frustrated about answering the question "which type phone should I buy" because of insufficient information. However, that is not the question I asked. I specifically limited the scope to the differences between the OSes, especially those differences that mattered to you.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

iceport wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:02 amOne thing I hadn't considered is my aversion to cloud storage. I've heard that local iOS backup of personal data using iTunes is simple. I still haven't figured out how to back up my android phone (e.g. contacts) to my PC. If you have no problem using the could for storage of personal data, the OS probably doesn't matter. If you want only local back-up, iOS might be easier.
Unless you have sensitive contacts (e.g. WITSEC), take a chance and expose your contacts to the cloud. What's the worst that can happen? And they're probably already exposing you! If you have an android phone, chances are you're already doing that anyway and just don't know it. When you log into your google account at https://contacts.google.com/, are your contacts there? It's the easiest way to change phones and not have to worry about it. And I'm using an iPhone! But I can switch anytime. (and if you really want them on your PC, you can export them from the cloud -- found it under More menu).

BTW, I'm unclear what features, functions, interfaces, etc. are considered part of the OS for this discussion. The notch on iPhones and others that enable FaceID?

http://blogs.brighton.ac.uk/misseloquen ... g-systems/
Last edited by inbox788 on Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 am Some people are getting frustrated about answering the question "which type phone should I buy" because of insufficient information. However, that is not the question I asked. I specifically limited the scope to the differences between the OSes, especially those differences that mattered to you.
Again, I'll restate - you're asking in the wrong place. There are multiple technical forums that compare the different OS. In my response, I made the point that you're not using either system fully at all - neither your iPad nor your limited use of Google. You need to consolidate on one platform so you don't have multiple sets of contacts, email that you are accessing improperly, etc.

You were referred by several to Google it - I just did. Top 2 results:

Android vs. iOS: Which smartphone platform is the best?

iPhone vs. Android: Which Is Better for You?
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:14 pmMy email is Hotmail, which I mostly access from my desktop as that's easier than even the pad. All of my contacts are through Hotmail/Outlook and/or Google Voice.

I don't really care much about photos. I take a few then transfer them to the desktop.

Up until now, all my texting has been through Google Voice. That might change if I had phone capability, but I'd be starting from new.
IMO, these are not OS related issues, and they're not even OS dependent issues from what I can tell. You can access your hotmail email from either android or iPhones using the built in mail program or any number of apps you can get. The apps are all different, but they function similarly.

I use Google Voice and receive calls at various numbers. That's a feature of Google Voice, not the cell phone OS, but I've used Google Voice apps (and Hangouts) on both android and iOS. There used to be slight differences, mainly in development cycle (e.g. android google voice dialer), but they're now fairly even from what I can tell. There's a lot of promise in GV, but I'm afraid it's not going to happen because I'm not seeing how they're going to generate revenue, and the technology seems to have moved along. Voice calls just aren't as necessary as they used to be.

Are you familiar with TouchWiz UI? Seems like this is the type of information on differences you're seeking? or am I off base?
Topic Author
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

RickBoglehead wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:46 pm Again, I'll restate - you're asking in the wrong place.
And I heard you the first time.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:08 am Some people are getting frustrated about answering the question "which type phone should I buy" because of insufficient information. However, that is not the question I asked. I specifically limited the scope to the differences between the OSes, especially those differences that mattered to you.
iPhone: Tightly controlled by Apple, difficult to customize unless you 'jailbreak' it. Forces use of iTunes to do syncing. OS supports only 'home' button.
Android: Much more open, easy to customize. Easy sync and file copy. OS supports 'home' button and 'back' button.

That's it. Flip a coin and hope it all works out for the best! :beer
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Iphone 6 can be purchased with straight talk at Walmart $149

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Straight-Tal ... /329264833

I brought mine in Sept 2017 ($199 carrier is Verizon) and had it about a little over a year, there are four carriers Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile and Sprint depending on where you use your phone and the cell tower location, urban versus rural you could designate which carrier you want with your SIM card.

Best to get the cellphone near where you use it the most. I use Opensignal based on actual users https://opensignal.com/ to check on map where the cell towers are.

I have vacation home in upstate NY and had data roaming on my previous Android phone Samsung Note 4 with T-Mobile (2015-2016) which is the second Android phone I owned. In my experience with first Samsung Galaxy phone (Verizon 2014) it was always HOT, and it ran the battery down.
Even using the setting and shutting apps in background as I travel around to another cell tower the apps are turned on.

Google seems to track my travels, I use Gmail and Yahoo as my email apps and had no problems syncing contacts.

The Apple Iphone 6 does not get hot often, when it does I turn it off and turn it back on and it cools. Ive had none of the battery issues which owners have mention.
gd

Post by gd »

Two perfectly-functioning-HW iPad 3s-- essentially obsolete because iOS can't be updated. E.g. my favorite weather app upgraded past it, and the next 2-3 I tried to use also.

Two android phones-- Takes some minor initial learning, e.g. app updating buried a few layers down, but adequate. Way easier to do stuff like transfer all my photos to Windows PC unless you sign your life over to Apple's walled garden. I refused to touch iTunes after a few months of astonished struggling with it with the iPads years ago. Google is not as fortified, but they make up for it by persistence. The demise of google+ probably helps.

Recently acquired used iPhone due to specialty app available only in iOS-- sleek, cruddy battery due to that low profile (getting replaced after reading recent thread here), UI maybe slightly better. Not a big deal to me. No way I'd pay a $300-$500 premium for it.

In the end for me it comes down to: 1) any mandatory one-platform apps, 2) price, 3) whose walled garden do I want to fight? If you view your upcoming phone as a little computer, go with android. If you view it as an appliance in Apple's universe, buy a used iPhone.

The OS is a direct reflection of the company's business plan, technical details are secondary.
moehoward

Post by moehoward »

Earl Lemongrab wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:23 pm I think we're deviating from topic. I'm not looking for recommendations. I want to know the differences and issues. I'm a software engineer and computer professional (ret.) but I've just never used a smart phone. I've had the pad for about 1.5 years now.

I've addressed a few things above. Really I'm starting from new, as the iPad doesn't have phone capability so it's been more of a computer in that regard.
I'm also a retired engineer. How were you in high tech and not exposed to cell phones? You can read the differences between Android and IOS to Ad Nauseam and will not be able to come to a conclusion. Its all about the interface, which one do you feel more comfortable with. If you have an iPad, its a simple choice. The iPad does have phone capability of sorts. I use my iPad and Skype when traveling internationally. You need an internet connection but it very cheap calling and easy to use. (Skype to Skype is free)
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

Dottie57 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:54 pm
Jack FFR1846 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 pm [...]I kept ios7.1 for years because it pre-dated Apple's "battery throttling" intended for users to think they needed a new phone as it slowed down. My ios7.1 iPhone 4s never slowed down and compared to my kids' newer iPhones was screaming fast as they were throttled.
[...]
Just to correct a misconception. My take is that Apple throttled the older phones to give the phone more life. Some older phones were having problems with old batteries causing failures and throttling helped. BTW, Apple does replace batteries for a fee ($99) and which is much cheaper than a new phone.

This is from Apple

Another clarification: iPhone battery replacement price was dropped (permanently?) to $79 + shipping (presumably no shipping if you get it done at your local AppleStore). https://support.apple.com/iphone/repair/battery-power

The iPhone OS now has a monitor so you can check how good your battery is: Settings->Battery->Battery Health. On the same screen you can turn off the battery throttling, it seems. (It's called low power mode.)

I got a new battery for my iPhone 6 (an hour wait at my local AppleStore) and gave the phone to my daughter. I got my current iPhone about 15 months ago and according to the OS the battery has 96% of original capacity. I use it very heavily just about every day but never let it drain to 0%. (Draining to 0 will irrevocably damage the battery.)