Quality pea coat vs parka

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Keepcalm

Quality pea coat vs parka

Post by Keepcalm » Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm

I’m looking at either a jacket such as Canada Goose or a Brooks Brothers pea coat.

Very geared towards the class of a nice pea coat, but I just don’t think it would compare warmth wise to a CG. Solution would be to layer underneath pea coat.

Any pea coaters in here? Is it enough for NYC winters?

yeahman

Re: Quality pea coat vs parka

Post by yeahman » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm

I wear a peacoat when it's 35-60 degrees and a parka when it's below 35.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Parka should keep you toasty. But I opt for cheaper from Landsend.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Peacoats from Army Surplus stores are all wool, inexpensive, well made and stylish. They sell new ones as well as used, typically.

Tim

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

yeahman wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 pm
I wear a peacoat when it's 35-60 degrees and a parka when it's below 35.
I agree. I have a British duffel coat, it is great if it is not raining and not too cold. Practically, I wear the down coat much more often, or if raining and cold may wear a down vest and a Gortex rain shell. I think of the pea or duffel coat for the cool Fall football weather in the NW or the Bay Area.

guilard1

Post by guilard1 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 pm

I lived in NYC and I had no problems using a pea coat, with a hat. It would get cold some times but it wasn't a huge deal. That being said there are lots of people in NYC who have Canada Goose. They are toasty but, if you just want it to keep you warm they are not worth the money. If you want to make a fashion statement then it might be worth it to you. There is no wrong answer, it is just a matter of values and how you want to spend your money.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:53 pm

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm
Peacoats from Army Surplus stores are all wool, inexpensive, well made and stylish. They sell new ones as well as used, typically.
During college in the late 1960s I started out with my father's authentic Navy peacoat from WWII. I thought it was very stylish and cool, but as soon as winter arrived and the cold wind started blowing I realized even with a good heavy scarf it was still inadequate compared to a hooded parka.

I notice the well-heeled college kids today favor the CG Langford and Chateau parkas. I agree with others there are equally warm, less expensive but less stylish alternatives. I am now a retired old guy and I favor the LL Bean Maine Warden's Parka, which sells out every winter.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:57 pm

NYC is has very mild climate. Why you you need anything from goose coming from Canada?

canderson

Post by canderson » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:33 pm

I have a Schott peacoat and wear it when it’s below say 30. It keeps my warm from -5 on up. I adore it.

If it’s above 30 my North Face lightweight puffy coat works, plus it’s lightweight and can be stuffed into small space.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:59 pm

You should buy both a pea coat and a parka.

3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:20 pm

Keepcalm wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:51 pm
I’m looking at either a jacket such as Canada Goose or a Brooks Brothers pea coat.

Very geared towards the class of a nice pea coat, but I just don’t think it would compare warmth wise to a CG. Solution would be to layer underneath pea coat.

Any pea coaters in here? Is it enough for NYC winters?
The pea coat is my favorite coat and I wear it from Nov-Apr in the northeast, substituting a heavier coat only on the worst days. The key for me is having the right fit to layer underneath but it still fits well with less layers. That’s what makes it so versatile.

Another key is the way the top button (collar around neck) fits. Buttoning it gives me a nice snug neck warmer and with the collar up and a hat, I’m good for most weather. If the button is not in the right spot, I’d consider resewing it to a better location.

The length is another great asset of the pea coat, imo. It’s perfect to keep nether reagions warm but short enough so you can get into pants pockets and it doesn’t get in the way of activities like getting in and out of a car the way longer and bulkier coats do. Deep side pockets and some interior pockets are a must to handle all the gloves, neck warmers, fold in a cap, and other winter gear.

Well, I’m sure that you’ve figured out that I think that the pea coat is the perfect all aournd coat. I love the design and if you’re young and fit, you will look good in it, too, because the cut is very complimentary to the male figure. I’m sure that Brooks Brothers would make a good one but find one that fits you well regardless of brand. Pay attention to details. I got mine cheap at a DKNY outlet years ago and I’ll be sad when it’s worn down. I will spend considerable time and energy finding another one.

Re, the parka, I’ve had them as well as trench coats, and every other type of coat. Meh! They’re just clothing. They keep you warm. The pea coat otoh, is an inspired design.

KnottyPine

Post by KnottyPine » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:29 am

If you have good circulation, the pea coat works. If your circulation is not what it used to be due to age or health, it may not work as well as it used to.

If you are allergic to wool, original Navy pea coats and the related blue wool uniforms present problems to wear. Keep in mind that the original pea coat had a looser fit to allow for a uniform underneath and to allow for all the active movements of an enlisted man wearing a stiff material.

I think a lot of the modern pea coat knockoffs go for a look and do not provide the same warmth as the original. I have never had the money for Brooks Brothers or LL Bean clothing, so I cannot comment specifically to their coats in regard to the relative quality.

Three things to keep in mind when relating a Navy pea coat to other winter wear. The pea coat is quite heavy (weight on your back) compared to more modern winter coating materials. The heavy wool layer of a pea coat is much more inflexible than modern winter coating materials. The pea coat does not have elastic or velcro cuffs or a waist drawstring to reduce cold air flow under the garment.

The pea coat also does not have the full head protection of a drawstring hood.

nhdean

Post by nhdean » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:45 am

I got my pea coat free, courtesy of the US Navy

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:59 am

Nowizard wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:56 pm

Tim
I second trying to find an military surplus pea coat. One DD wears my father's WW II Coast Guard pea coat when it gets really cold in Florida, which is seldom. My father built LORAN stations in the South Pacific as the various islands were secured. Why he had a pea coat is a mystery.

All wool, with corduroy lined pockets. I wish it fit me, but I am much taller. Worked for DD though. At least seventy + years old now, still in great shape.

I was curious to know why the name pea coat.
From Wikipedia (might be right, might not be):

"....According to a 1975 edition of the Mariner's Mirror, the term pea coat originated from the Dutch or West Frisian word pijjekker or pijjakker, in which pij referred to the type of cloth used, a coarse kind of twilled blue cloth with a nap on one side. ’’Jakker’’ designates a man’s short, heavy, coat. [10]

Another theory, favoured by the US Navy, is that the heavy topcoat worn in cold, miserable weather by seafaring men was once tailored from "pilot cloth" – a heavy, coarse, stout kind of twilled blue cloth with the nap on one side. This was sometimes called P-cloth from the initial letter of pilot, and the garment made from it was called a P-jacket – later a pea coat. The term has been used since 1723 to denote coats made from that cloth...."

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain