2019 Subaru Forester Vs. 2019 Rav 4

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Whakamole

Re: 2019 Subaru Forester Vs. 2019 Rav 4

Post by Whakamole » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:36 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:31 am
Are the 2020 Foresters on the dealer lots already? How do they differ from the 2019s?
The dealer I talked to said not yet, and that (at least in "Subaru country", the Pacific Northwest) most had already been spoken for.

The big change I know of is "Lane Assist" is becoming "Lane Centering."

researcher

Post by researcher » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:02 am

anthonyphamy wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:39 am
I too am deciding between 2019 RAV4, 2019 Forester, and now the released 2020 Forester. I see that US News rated the Mazda CX5 highly compared with the CRV, however I'm unsure about the CX5's reliability, as well as the higher cost of the CRV for added safety features, makes me lean more towards the RAV4 and Forester.
All of the vehicles you mention are similarly priced, high quality SUVs with reasonable reliability.
You just need to drive them and decide what you like best.

Rav4 - Toyota name & reliability, though fairly mediocre overall
Forester - Slightly less mainstream, good AWD system for the few who actually need AWD, helps convey the 'granola type' persona
CRV - The most well-rounded overall, lots of room inside, but isn't the best at anything (except MPG?) and may suffer from oil dilution.
CX-5 - The best looking & best driving option, nicest materials, but slightly less room inside than the others.

RollTide31457

Post by RollTide31457 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:26 am

Subaru has incredibly bad Bluetooth. Be aware of that if Bluetooth connectivity is important.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:44 am

stimulacra wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:01 am
Seems like the 2019 Forester is an incremental evolution of a winning formula; great greenhouse visibility, sensible design and layout for a crossover, etc… 

I don't really know anything about the upcoming RAV4 other than the styling is really going for a baby-4runner look. Stylistically the nameplate seems to experience the most whiplash as Toyota oscillates between various design languages between mass-market updates.

Not even sure if the new 2019 RAV4's are even at dealer lots yet. I would be curious what they say.

I'm curious why you are only considering two all-new models as your next vehicle?

From a bogleheads perspective, I would almost be more inclined to pick up an example of the outgoing model of either the Forester or the RAV4 since you'll have a chassis and powertrain that has 4-5 years to be sorted out and you're more likely to get a decent deal or discounts and all of the reliability issues or quirks will be well known on the message boards/forums.

You have a better shot of 10-years of trouble free maintenance with the outgoing 2018 version of the Forester or RAV4 than with the all-new 2019's.

Also the Mazda CX-5 is competitive within the compact crossover class.
It's worth noting that the new RAV4 uses a platform (TNGA) that has been around since 2015. The new Forester's platform (SGP) has been around since 2016.

California88

Post by California88 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:32 am

I've had the 2019 RAV4 LE for about 6 months ... and like everything about it. Very quiet engine. Driver seat really comfortable (which was a big issue with so many of the vehicles I tried) ... great on gas. It doesn't drive like a Porsche - but that doesn't bother me because I live in a big congested city. The RAV4 comes in 8 different models.

smiles99

Post by smiles99 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:37 am

I recently purchased a new Forester 2019, about 5 months ago, driving about 5k miles thus far. I have been very happy with the purchase.

I also was nervous about the Auto Start/Stop feature, but have grown to love it. The feature does automatically turn on, but there is a button by the steering wheel to turn it off (which must be turned off each time you start the car) if I want to leave it off. I turn it off while on the highway, but mainly leave it on while I drive city streets. The nice thing about the feature, is that it requires a complete stop and a full brake pedal to engage the Auto Stop. So if I am at a stoplight that will turn in the next 10-20 seconds, I will only push the brake pedal 3/4 of the way (still at a complete stop) but the Auto feature will not turn the engine off. Whereas if I assume the light will be 20-30+ seconds, I will engage the brake pedal fully and the engine will stop. It has helped me keep great gas mileage, averaging about 32 MPG while usually driving city streets.

The other concern was in regards to a 'new model' because the design was changed in 2019. But after much research, it seemed as though the updates were almost all safety features, added insulation for road noise, and the much desired technology upgrades. The engine and mechanics have stayed mostly the same (or so researchers said). In regards to the upgrades, I was not about to purchase a 2018 model and be stuck using my phone on the dashboard for navigation. The 2019 finally uses apple car play and it is a definite game changer as someone who uses navigation constantly. Foresters have had a reputation for being in the 'dark ages' of technology and for being very rudimentary, but the 2019 finally picks it up to speed and on par with the 21st century. I personally opted for the Premium version with added Eyesight and blindspot detection. I could not be happier, the Eyesight, blindspot detection and rear cross-traffic alert have been very useful and definitely helped keep me safer on the roads.

Previously people have complained of head gasket issues and converter issues, but it seems with the last 2 versions of Forester updates, they have solved the problems. If my memory recalls, it was back in the second and third generation Foresters where problems were raised, and hopefully (fingers crossed) the fourth and fifth generation it has been fixed.

My previous car was a 98 CRV with 220k+ miles, and with proper maintenance, I am hoping this Forester will keep on the road for a long time to come as well. Hope some of these insights help give you a better idea of the vehicle. Best of luck car shopping.

beyou

Post by beyou » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm

Have 2 Foresters (and an Outback). All great cars. Had Toyotas years ago, loved them too. Personal preference, IMO.

anthonyphamy

Post by anthonyphamy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:32 am

Thank you very much for the responses. I like how the Forester has android auto, AWD, better visibility, and slightly cheaper than the RAV4. My biggest concern with the Forester is the transmission reliability. Reviewing Consumer Reports, the Forester was recommended by best compact SUV the past 2 years. However, I want to keep this car for the next > 10 years plus at least > 150k miles. I know Toyota is known for reliability, so I might just pay a little more than the Forester just for the more reliable brand. As well as the AISEN 8 speed transmission vs the CVT, made by JATCO, which I read the AISEN brand is more reliable as well. I'm thinking that recently the Forester's transmissions have been fixed and updated, as the blown head gaskets are probably something they hopefully worked out, but I'm thinking to just be on the safe side and just go with the Rav4.

msi

Post by msi » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:27 am

The Forester has a number of complaints about windshield fragility https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2942 ... omplaints/