How long have you had, or did you have, your HP-12C calculator?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
catdude

How long have you had, or did you have, your HP-12C calculator?

Post by catdude »

I wonder if y'all can satisfy my curiosity. Awhile back I heard somewhere (it may have been on Bogleheads, it may have been elsewhere) that it's fairly common for people to have, and to use, their HP-12C financial calculator for decades. Pretty remarkable given the planned obsolescence of consumer products in our economy. I had mine for about 30 years, which I thought was fairly unusual ... I bought it in the mid-80's, when I was taking accounting classes, and kept it until a few years ago, after I had retired. It could've kept going quite a bit longer, but I decided to replace with the 12C Platinum (which is notably faster).

Anybody want to chime in on how long they've had their 12C?
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Valuethinker

Re: How long have you had, or did you have, your HP-12C calculator?

Post by Valuethinker »

catdude wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:36 am I wonder if y'all can satisfy my curiosity. Awhile back I heard somewhere (it may have been on Bogleheads, it may have been elsewhere) that it's fairly common for people to have, and to use, their HP-12C financial calculator for decades. Pretty remarkable given the planned obsolescence of consumer products in our economy. I had mine for about 30 years, which I thought was fairly unusual ... I bought it in the mid-80's, when I was taking accounting classes, and kept it until a few years ago, after I had retired. It could've kept going quite a bit longer, but I decided to replace with the 12C Platinum (which is notably faster).

Anybody want to chime in on how long they've had their 12C?
At least 28 years although I have had about 3 in that time.

When my father was about 73, I gave him a replacement to his HP Financial (even older) whose powerpack was dead. He was "dead chuffed" as we say in England ;-).

There's an ap which simulates it on the ipad. In fact there is an Android version as well ;-).
Chip

Post by Chip »

I think about 33 years, though I lost one and had to replace it. I still use it daily.
chknlips

Post by chknlips »

My HP-11C is at least 30 years old.... I use it regularly. Don't forget to change out the batteries every other year of so to prevent corrosion.

They certainly made durable calculators back then!
ShowMeTheER

Post by ShowMeTheER »

16 yrs
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

40 years or so.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Mine is relatively new at 11 years. I thought I had lost mine so I bought a Platinum edition, but then I found it so now I have one for the office and one for home.
Retired2013

Post by Retired2013 »

33 years and still use it daily.
treypar

Post by treypar »

I have two HP 12c's for over 30 years and still use them daily.
2 bits

Post by 2 bits »

33 years +/-.
I also inherited one during that time which was likely older. It seems that was the one whose display failed.
Still use it occasionally.
Think I will change the batteries this week.
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

25 years and I still use it daily.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Bengineer

Post by Bengineer »

I've hat its relative, the HP-15C for 36 years or so. Still going strong. What great calculators they are! Thanks for the "check the batteries" note up-thread. Still good after maybe 10 years, no corrosion.
bpp

Post by bpp »

Never had an HP-12C, but I wish I still had my HP-11C, bought in the early '80s. Would still be using today it had I not lost it some time in the '90s.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

I've had two with the first purchased probably mid 80's when calculators were allowed on the actuarial exams - the first one had "made in USA" stamped on it and at some point didn't respond to new batteries - instead of trying to get it repaired I bought another which I still have , it's stamped with "Brazil" - it's been a great calculator and I may spring for that Platinum edition, it sounds pretty good .
Last edited by ubermax on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

I've had mine since 1985. I also have a mock 12C on my i-phone, which I use much more frequently. It looks and works just like the real thing (at least for the calculations I use) - I think it cost around $10 a few years back.
cadreamer2015

Post by cadreamer2015 »

I was issued my 12c by my second full time employer in 1981. I’m sure it was not new at the time - I inherited it from someone who had left the department. They let me keep the calculator when I got RIFEd in the mid 1999s. I still use it regularly as my only calculator. So it is 37+ years old.
De gustibus non disputandum est
ArcticMike

Post by ArcticMike »

On a related note: I've been using my HP 200LX 'Pocket PC' for 30 years as well. The keys are very durable and similar to the HP 12C. It runs DOS, has an adequate display and functions perfectly as a calculator and small database device. Great unit for use on my desk.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

chknlips wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:01 am My HP-11C is at least 30 years old.... I use it regularly.
Same here. I also have an app that simulates it on my iPhone, but I prefer the real thing when I'm at my desk where I keep it. I have to be more careful using the app because the touchscreen buttons are closer together and don't give any tactile feedback.

Two of the four rubber pads/feet have fallen off, but it still works fine.
Meet my pet, Peeve, who loves to convert non-acronyms into acronyms: FED, ROTH, CASH, IVY, ...
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Also about 33 years for my 11C I think. I expect it will last the rest of my life.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
CyberBob

Post by CyberBob »

I've had an HP-11C since 1983, so 35 years.
Still works like it did day one. Built like a tank.
RPN FTW!
Last edited by CyberBob on Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Never had one. I don't do any tasks that necessitate having one.
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

I've had mine since they were introduced. Online sources say that was 1981, although I have an inclination to think it might have been a bit earlier. My memory isn't that precise.

They were fantastic at the time because the battery life was very, very long, they did all the present value and discounting that you needed to do discounted cash flows and bond valuations, and they fit in your shirt pocket without much bulk.

I don't use mine as much anymore, but its' still on my desk.
badger42

Post by badger42 »

I kept mine for about 10yr then gave it to my dad as a backup for his 11C. I just use a RPN calculator app or, for larger data sets, a spreadsheet.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I have a collection of HP calculators of which the oldest one is an HP 41C. It was built in 1980.

The 41C was used on early Space Shuttle flights as a supplement to the onboard flight computers that were short on capacity for certain work. It still works, although I've had to have the battery pack rebuilt.

The testing that went into these classic HP's was absolutely fanatical. Many are known to have perfect software - no bugs or errors. The human factors design is the best I have ever seen for an electronic product.
hand

Post by hand »

About a decade... my boss in my first real financial job had one and opened my eyes to its wonders as both a tool and a signalling device (all the cool kids had one!)

Also guarded jealously - my copy of "An Easy Course in Using the HP 12C and Other HP Financial Calculators" which is an incredible instruction manual written (and illustrated) by people who obviously both understood the calculator and cared deeply. Sadly, not something I could imagine being written in today's world of disposable electronics and frequent software updates.
Bnjneer

Post by Bnjneer »

I have an HP41CV and HP41CX. They are both over 30 years old and I use them at work and home for engineering work. During this same time, my coworkers have had to replace their calculators many times in the same span of time. The early HP's were and are the best.
tacster

Post by tacster »

No 12C, but I still have and use the 15C that got me through engineering school over 30 years ago. I like it so much that I also bought the app emulator for my Android phone.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Abe

Post by Abe »

I use the Texas Instrument BAll Plus (Business Analyst ll Plus). It's more user friendly than the HP-12c. I started using financial calculators years ago when I was buying mortgages at discount. You can still buy them at Walmart for about $30. One of the best investments I ever made. It's not only good for discounting mortgages, but also all kinds of time value of money calculations.

edit to add: Hewlitt Packard also makes the HP 10bII Plus Financial Calculator that sells for around $30 or $35. I understand it is also more user friendly than the HP-12c.
Last edited by Abe on Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Slow and steady wins the race.
montanagirl

Post by montanagirl »

Never had one but sure miss my TI ba-35. The last one I bought wss larger in a stupid way (flare at the top) and not as reliable.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

30 years. I was so sad when it died.
doug1022

Post by doug1022 »

20 years and still use it daily
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

Boglegrappler wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am I've had mine since they were introduced. Online sources say that was 1981, although I have an inclination to think it might have been a bit earlier. My memory isn't that precise.
1981 is about right and they cost over $200 at the time as I recall .
lhl12

Post by lhl12 »

I have used one for going on thirty years. However I had to buy a new one recently and I find the build quality noticeably inferior. The rubber pads have come off, certain keys won't "fire" unless pressed in exactly the right way, and I have had issues with the display. My recent purchase was made in China, though I don't know when that shift in manufacturing occurred.
bogglizer

Post by bogglizer »

29 years for the 15C. I had a 41C when they came out, along with every single accessory, but got rid of it at some point. No idea how long I've had the 12C. Also use the 15C iPhone app. They were going to restart production of the 15C a few years ago, but I don't think anything every came of it.
Abe

Post by Abe »

montanagirl wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am Never had one but sure miss my TI ba-35. The last one I bought wss larger in a stupid way (flare at the top) and not as reliable.
You can get the Texas Instrument BAll Plus (Business Analyst ll Plus) at Walmart for about $30. I believe it's very similar to the BA-35
Slow and steady wins the race.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

At least 30 years.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
wmackey

Post by wmackey »

I've only had my 12c's (yes, plural) for about five years. However, My 11c (Scientific) goes back to ~1985. It was my second 11c. HP replaced the first one free of charge after it was destroyed in an EMP blast.
Celtic

Post by Celtic »

First 12c lasted about 20 years. Used daily. Keyboard died and I replaced it (this was about two years ago). Sadly the keyboard on the replacement has already died. When I get a chance I will buy a replacement. In the interim I use PCalc on my iPhone (in RPN of course!)
beyou

Post by beyou »

I have TWO of them, not sure when I got them, but decades ago. I would guess they are 25 and 30 years old respectively.
Both work great except having to replace those darn batteries once every few years ;-)
Topic Author
catdude

Post by catdude »

Abe wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:55 amHewlitt Packard also makes the HP 10bII Plus Financial Calculator that sells for around $30 or $35. I understand it is also more user friendly than the HP-12c.
I recall giving the 10bII plus a tryout many years ago. I didn't care for it, mainly because it didn't have RPN. Once you get comfortable with RPN it's hard to use a basic arithmetical calculator. After a week or so, I went back to my trusty 12C...
catdude | | All generalizations are false, including this one.
Chip

Post by Chip »

catdude wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:54 pm Once you get comfortable with RPN it's hard to use a basic arithmetical calculator. After a week or so, I went back to my trusty 12C...
Another nice feature of RPN is that it makes your calculator less likely to "walk away". I take two calculators to my Tax-Aide volunteer gig -- the HP-12C for me and a "regular" calculator for my clients. Anyone who tries to use the 12C gives up fairly quickly and hands it back to me, lessening the chance it might go out the door.
mariezzz

Post by mariezzz »

ubermax wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:12 am
Boglegrappler wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:49 am I've had mine since they were introduced. Online sources say that was 1981, although I have an inclination to think it might have been a bit earlier. My memory isn't that precise.
Back in the days when HP and other companies made products that last. $200 in 1980 would be about $625 today - but you also need to factor in that it was cutting-edge technology in 1980 (and that slide rules were only starting to be phased out).
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Can get app that does the same thing

https://download.cnet.com/HP-12c-Financ ... 68179.html
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Using a minor academic monetary award I bought a factory reconditioned 11C. It's still going strong after 35 years. Actually the award was $100, which to me wasn't minor at the time, but was small enough it wouldn't materially affect my student debt.

It does have a minor dent in the metal part around the display, and one key is imperfectly inscribed - just a little bit of the character missing at the bottom.

Not long after I bought it I took a 3-week 3-semester hour intensive business statistics course during winter break. The formulas were easy for me, but I probably also saved around 20% of final exam time not having to write down intermediate values or place them into memory. The push-up stack makes that automatic, which meant I was able to calculate every answer twice.

Calculate twice, pass once.

PJW
squirm

Post by squirm »

I studied with a hp 48g, I still have the calculator but use the virtual version on my phone.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Still use my 15c.
GibsonL6s

Post by GibsonL6s »

My dad (RIP) gave me a 12c when I was going off to college in 1981 to study finance. The manual has a car loan example at 14% interest lol

I still use it and hope to pass it on to one of my sons
Boglegrappler

Post by Boglegrappler »

My recollection is that that cost around $90 from the discounters. We wanted to get one for all our associates and called down to purchasing and they quoted a price that was half again as much as what we'd seen advertised in the NY Times, and said it would take a month to get them. Our leader, who was a close associate of our CEO said "maybe if we bought from the places that didn't provide free concert and sports tickets we could get a better deal", and pointed out the advertised prices. Added: just wasted some time looking at the NY Times time machine and found ads from November 1982 showing them at about $110, and saying that they were a new model.

In any case, they were great machines. The utility of the "stack" and memory was quite high in the days before the PC had arrived.
zxllxz

Post by zxllxz »

I've had and used daily my HP 10C since it was released in 1981. It replaced my HP 32E (LED) which was a battery hog.
MastersChampion

Post by MastersChampion »

My 11C is 34 years old and works perfectly.
I can remember being a poor EE student about to purchase it thinking "boy I hope this thing is worth the money."

I NEVER imagined I'd be appreciating it some 3 decades later! I just wish I could have afforded the 15C.

BTW, I'm surprised by how much my kids don't want anything to do with understanding what RPN is.