Apple - Old Product Boxes - Keep or Dispose?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Apple - Old Product Boxes - Keep or Dispose?

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:47 pm

Bogleheads -

We have a lot of Apple users on the forum and as such I have a question for the group: old product boxes.

Like many here, our entire home is Apple products - laptop, iPads, iPhones, Router, TV. We retained all the old boxes for all products. Apple has always been known for their excellent packages (i.e. Steve Jobs). I have always kept the box on the recommendation of a die hard Apple family member with the thought process being if one ever resells or trades in the product it is worth more? I have never seen or heard of this anywhere else. The reality is we have pushed down the older products to our kids as we upgrade. Thus we have never (and will never) reuse the boxes.

While the serial number is on the box and I can not read it any longer, I find that irrelevant when calling Apple support as all serial numbers are located in each products software.

Feedback please and thoughts!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Gryphon

Re: Apple - Old Product Boxes - Keep or Dispose?

Post by Gryphon » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:06 pm

I think the boxes would only add value if you had some rare item that a collector might want - say, a 20th anniversary Mac or a Lisa or something.

Personally, I'd keep the box for a Mac just because I would want to sell it someday, and for the iMacs in particular finding an appropriate box & packing material would be a hassle. For anything smaller - phones, tablets, etc - I wouldn't bother. If I ever wanted to sell one of those, I'd just wrap it up in bubble wrap & stick it in a box.

Post by 123 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm

While we keep boxes in the event a return is necessary for the manufactuer's warranty after the warranty has expired the boxes go to recycling. The chances of any special box having any special value and you being able to sell the box for any special value are likely pretty close to nil.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I'm a box collector. I have plenty of storage space to store lots and lots of boxes.

But only for making moves easier. Very easy to pack the toaster, or the coffee pot, or the laptop computer back into its original packaging and then into the moving boxes. Instead of packing randomly shaped objects.

But I wouldn't keep boxes for junk I no longer have.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:25 pm

I recycle them. I tend to keep Apple products for a while and even if I resell a phone or whatever, I've never been asked to include the original box

onourway

Post by onourway » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:45 pm

I would only keep the boxes if you intend to re-sell. Highest resale values on sites like Swappa tend to include the original boxes. If you need to return an item to Apple for repair, they will send you a shipping box with custom-cut foam.

We just threw out a whole pile of them in a recent purge.

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:50 pm

Recycle
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:53 pm

I keep the boxes because I like the finish, and I re-use them for other things, not because I'm keeping them to use along with an eventual resale of the product when I'm done with it.

Besides, the last thing a potential buyer of my 10-year old Ipod, my iPhone with a cracked screen, or circa 2012 Ipad is going to care about is having the original box.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

Sell them on eBay. Seriously.

Look at sold listings, you would be amazed on some of the prices.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:16 pm

Just counted 24 boxes plus! I think it is safe to house clean.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:01 pm

I keep my Apple products to a point where they still have a good resale value. I then sell the product and buy a new one. It's easiest and best to ship or deliver the product to the new owner in its OEM packaging.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:46 pm

Our boxes had the original receipts inside. Most of the products were from 4 years ago to present (for recent iPhones). We have never reused the boxes.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:56 am

I just looked on Ebay. iMac boxes go for between $45 and $80 ! Go figure.
I've also noticed that items sold that include the original box and manuals usually command a higher price than those without.

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:45 am

I went all "KonMari" and use them to separate things in my underwear drawers. :happy

NextMil

Post by NextMil » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:10 am

I used to keep them. Now I toss them. Wished I’d knew about eBay. Only in America.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am

runner3081 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:27 pm

I see the imac boxes are selling (actually sold, not just listed) for decent money on there. $30-40+. Though it looks like the iphone and ipad boxes are mostly selling for $10 or less including free shipping. By the time the seller packages the box for mailing, pays postage, pays ebay fees, pays paypal fees, etc. it's not worth the time bothering to list them for sale to net like $2 in my opinion.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:54 am

tim1999 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am
runner3081 wrote:

I see the imac boxes are selling (actually sold, not just listed) for decent money on there. $30-40+. Though it looks like the iphone and ipad boxes are mostly selling for $10 or less including free shipping. By the time the seller packages the box for mailing, pays postage, pays ebay fees, pays paypal fees, etc. it's not worth the time bothering to list them for sale to net like $2 in my opinion.
Agreed. I was on eBay last night looking at it and it appears iPhone and iPad boxes were not auctioning for much. After factoring in all other costs it did not seem worth it.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 pm

tim1999 wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:40 am
runner3081 wrote:

Yeah, see what you are saying. I sell a ton on eBay, so the whole process is less than 10 minutes to post/package/ship when doing with other items.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:11 pm

Mingus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm
I'm a box collector. I have plenty of storage space to store lots and lots of boxes.

But only for making moves easier. Very easy to pack the toaster, or the coffee pot, or the laptop computer back into its original packaging and then into the moving boxes. Instead of packing randomly shaped objects.

I have my Apple product boxes. I have one that I will never get rid of. iPod box in 2003. A square box which cracked in half , kind of like an egg. Most beautiful packaging for electronics I have ever seen.

abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:34 pm

Thanks Bogleheads! A lot of useful information.

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:44 pm

Mingus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:19 pm

I still have the box from my 1985 Macintosh. Just because.
I've been in my house now 28 years, but I moved around a lot previously, so I like hanging onto sturdy original packaging. I also have well over a dozen old-style, long-neck beer bottle cases (Pabst Blue Ribbon, Altes, etc.). My family used to use them for storage and transporting stuff to our boat on the weekend. They'd probably be worth a fortune if they were not decorated with moving labels (and my mom painted some).