Alcohol related gift idea - nice glasses for drinking spirits?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Alcohol related gift idea - nice glasses for drinking spirits?

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:25 pm

I'm thinking about getting a good friend some nice glasses for drinking whiskey (on the rocks or an old fashioned) and other spirits. I may want to get them personalized too. Any recommendations or another gift I could give someone who enjoys an occasional drink? Maybe a drink recipe book?

Atilla

Re: Alcohol related gift idea - nice glasses for drinking spirits?

Post by Atilla » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:34 pm

Good old Waterford Lismore drinkin' tumblers. Sit nice and heavy in the hand.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm

Whiskey drinker here. An important accessory is an ice tray that makes large cubes or large spheres of ice. These melt slower, allowing the whiskey to be chilled without as much dilution. There are also clear ice trays that make, you guessed it, clear ice. But those are somewhat pricey and you might not like the recipient that much.

Sic Vis Pacem

Post by Sic Vis Pacem » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:17 pm

Whiskey drinker here. The suggestions above are excellent. If you're looking for something a little more unusual, I really like the Norlan whiskey glass. https://norlanglass.com/ It wouldn't work if you're friend usually drinks on the rocks, but they are great and really nice looking for neat drinks. It looks like they are coming out with a tumbler, which I may investigate once the price comes down a bit.

Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:34 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm
Whiskey drinker here. An important accessory is an ice tray that makes large cubes or large spheres of ice. These melt slower, allowing the whiskey to be chilled without as much dilution. There are also clear ice trays that make, you guessed it, clear ice. But those are somewhat pricey and you might not like the recipient that much.
For the most part, ice cools things by melting. If you slow the melt, you slow the cooling.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Good suggestions. I'd like to keep the price around $50 or less. He actually gave me a large sphere ice tray one year.

nicad2000

Post by nicad2000 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:51 pm

I have a set of Baccarat double old fashioned glasses that I’ve owned for years. Nice weight and quality. They, plus a generous splash of Woodford, never cease to put a smile on my face.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:11 pm

Whiskey drinker here. All of the above suggestions are excellent.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:35 pm

I have a wonderful set of good, heavy old fashioned glasses from (I think) Williams Sonoma. Looking at their website I don’t see the exact ones I have, but it appears they offer monogramming of glasses.

noco-hawkeye

Post by noco-hawkeye » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:51 pm

I like tulip shaped glasses for drinks where the aroma should be more concentrated. I've found this useful on beer, whiskey, and wine too.

Strayshot

Post by Strayshot » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:14 am

I am not a big fan of my whisky being on the rocks (or even one big rock) and only drink cocktails at bars, most of the time it is just neat and room temperature. I have a whole slew of glencairn glasses that work great and highly recommend them.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glencai ... _Glass.jpg

WVbaron

Post by WVbaron » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:57 am

whodidntante wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:53 pm
This! Totally agree. If he is a whiskey fan, liked Old Fashions, etc these large cube trays are the perfect gift. I got some last year and love them.

corysold

Post by corysold » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:29 am

There is something called a "Glencairn" glass that is made for drinking whiskey and similar spirits. The shape helps funnel the aroma to the nose to aid in tasting.

https://www.amazon.com/Glencairn-Whisky ... B003QX2JMA

I have some, I'm no expert so I can't for certain say they are better or worse, but they are a different experience that a traditional tumbler.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 am

For several years, I have routinely asked family for such a gift. The choice is Waterford crystal, as another person mentioned. Go to Kinsale.com and look at several types of tumblers, water glasses, shot glasses, decanters, etc. They have a wide variety of items, and they offer an opportunity for collecting several types if you happen to want to have friends/family give them as gifts. Typical items are approximately $70-75 each, though items such as decanters can be substantially more. If timing is not a primary issue, they offer a 20% off sale each January. The company is based in Ireland, and they use older, Waterford designs.

Tim

btenny

Post by btenny » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:21 am

I keep a set of these stainless steel balls in my freezer for those that like neat drinks and other people who like cold wine. I also use them when I forget to chill the white wine. They work great.

https://www.amazon.com/Whiskey-Axe-Prem ... dpSrc=srch

https://www.amazon.com/Servino-Select-C ... dpSrc=srch

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:49 am

Nowizard wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:43 am
For several years, I have routinely asked family for such a gift. The choice is Waterford crystal, as another person mentioned. Go to Kinsale.com and look at several types of tumblers, water glasses, shot glasses, decanters, etc. They have a wide variety of items, and they offer an opportunity for collecting several types if you happen to want to have friends/family give them as gifts. Typical items are approximately $70-75 each, though items such as decanters can be substantially more. If timing is not a primary issue, they offer a 20% off sale each January. The company is based in Ireland, and they use older, Waterford designs.

Tim
Is kinsale.com the right sight? I got an error.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:17 pm

Thanks all for the feedback. I'm not sure how often he drinks alcohol and what glasses he already has, so I wound up getting him a nice bottle of tequila instead and a couple other things. But now I may get some nice glasses for myself ;)

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:06 pm

My mistake. I was listing off the top of my head

Tim

https://www.kinsalecrystal.ie/