Point and shoot camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wrongfunds

Re: Point and shoot camera

Post by wrongfunds » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:22 am

I was stuck in Best Buy for entire day yesterday. I had the opportunity to play with many P&S cameras on display. If OP can spare $300-$400 couple of Sony P&S were very good in that price bracket. If he likes 30X zoom and other features such as tilt screen, optical view finder, WiFi, NFC etc etc; Sony DSC-HX80 is for $320. If he is willing to give up those feature but wants to have the best picture quality at that price point, go with Sony RX100 at $370.

I am the guy who has been telling OP not to bother with $200 P&S. That point still stands but I was pleasantly surprised at what one is able to get for $300-$400 in P&S market.

Tribonian

Post by Tribonian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 am

I’d get the most recent cheap Canon point and shoot that has been hacked by the Canon Hack Development Kit:

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_for_Dummies

The P&S Canons often have the same processors and other fancy hardware as the DSLRs and are hobbled by the firmware.

CHDK lets you overwrite the firmware on an SD card and they have done amazing things. In addition to bracketing exposures, recording in RAW, they’ve also added motion detectors, time lapse, and ultra fast exposures (I think they clocked 1/30000). And it’s free.

Topic Author
legio XX

Post by legio XX » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm

Tribonian wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:33 am
I’d get the most recent cheap Canon point and shoot that has been hacked by the Canon Hack Development Kit:

The P&S Canons often have the same processors and other fancy hardware as the DSLRs and are hobbled by the firmware.

CHDK lets you overwrite the firmware on an SD card and they have done amazing things. In addition to bracketing exposures, recording in RAW, they’ve also added motion detectors, time lapse, and ultra fast exposures (I think they clocked 1/30000). And it’s free.
Hey, I really liked this. And, I did buy the first Canon suggested, the ELPH 180.

Went to B&H today. Very pleasantly surprised. Service with a smile from patient and knowledgeable young people. If the thought bying a low end point and shoot was tacky, it didn't show.

Looked at the Coolpix S8200, but it was a refurb and they didn't have a charger. So I will learn my way around a new camera and, low-end as it is, it is way more advanced than the deceased Coolpix 2100 so I don't think I'll need anything it doesn't have. With extra battery, charger, belt pouch (it will easily fit a pocket) came to $130 plus tax

Thanks to all for the Bogleheads camera tutorial - and if you stay away from B&H on Sundays and the days before the Jewish holidays - like Friday mornings - expect great shopping.

Momus

Post by Momus » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:06 am

http://www.ronmartblog.com/2018/07/sony ... one-x.html

Point and shoot, you should just get a decent flagship phone. In camera quality, that means you are buying...
Huaweii P20 Pro > Pixel 3 > iPhone Xs Max (major improvement over iPhone X, way better dynamic range and better low light) > Oneplus 6T/Note 9 > iPhone X. This is the order from best to better in smartphone camera right now.

RX100 is a great camera yes, but it's really not needed, it is just SLIGHTLY better than iPhone X (notice that iPhone X is a behind in pic quality from the best camera ranking above)... if all you are doing is to post to social media and you don't make large print, skip a stand alone point and shoot, buy a good phone or... Go straight to mirrorless camera for best picture quality.

anoop

Post by anoop » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:20 am

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:21 am

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I think before asking for recommendations, it should be mandatory to provide ones budgetary restrictions and then the needed feature set. Without that, people write paragraphs on extolling virtues of say Lieca camera and how it is the most suitable choice for the OP who in the end was happy as clam with $99 special :-(

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:28 am

legio XX wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:56 pm
Hey, I really liked this. And, I did buy the first Canon suggested, the ELPH 180.

Went to B&H today. Very pleasantly surprised. Service with a smile from patient and knowledgeable young people. If the thought bying a low end point and shoot was tacky, it didn't show.
Sounds good. Enjoy the new camera, and your trip!

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am

legio XX wrote:
Tribonian wrote:

Looked at the Coolpix S8200, but it was a refurb and they didn't have a charger. So I will learn my way around a new camera and, low-end as it is, it is way more advanced than the deceased Coolpix 2100 so I don't think I'll need anything it doesn't have. With extra battery, charger, belt pouch (it will easily fit a pocket) came to $130 plus tax

Thanks to all for the Bogleheads camera tutorial - and if you stay away from B&H on Sundays and the days before the Jewish holidays - like Friday mornings - expect great shopping.
Congratulations on your purchase. I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents even though you made your purchase, it could possibly be of interest to someone else to consider.

1. The best camera is the one you will have with you when a photo opportunity arises.

2. In my case, that is my iPhone, currently a 7 Plus.

3. Shortly before I bought my first iPhone, I purchased a highly rated Canon S95 for about $400. I doubt I've taken over 100 photos with it. Never have it with me at the right time. It is now quite dated, I believe it was a 4 megapixel. For all practical purposes, the iPhone takes as good a quality photo as any digital or 35 mm film camera I've owned (going back through a bunch of Olympus, Honeywell Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Panasonic, etc. models from the mid-1960s). To add to my $400 camera purchase story, I also bought a Garmin GPS for approximately the same price at about the same time - became relatively worthless after my navigation app on the iPhone. Color me gullible for technology hardware. :oops: Oh well .......
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:21 pm

legio XX wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 6:58 am
cherijoh wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:41 pm

You might find this article of interest in figuring out which features to key in on when picking your camera. Unless you plan to do serious enlargements, any of the point and shoots give you enough megapixels these days. But some of the other features may make a big difference.

Any reason not to consider another Coolpix? I have a Coolpix S8200 that I purchased a few years ago. It has 14X optical zoom. (It looks like the latest Coolpix is up to 20X optical zoom). This is main reason IMO to go with a point and shoot camera over just using your cell phone. On a group tour to the Scottish Highlands this summer, there were 2 guys with serious DSLR cameras (and the hefty camera bags to go with them), me with my point-and-shoot, and the rest of the group with only their cell phone cameras. The 2 guys and I were the only ones who didn't have any issues with castle turrets and church spires being cut off by the camera.

I had a Coolpix (probably the age of yours) which I replaced with a Panasonic Lumix. When that one was accidentally dropped, I went back to a Coolpix. The camera takes great pictures - in fact most people who see my vacation pix are surprised to hear they were taken with a compact point and shoot camera. I also like Nikon's preset scenic options. I toggle a lot between automatic for people pictures and landscape mode for the scenery. But some of the other scenic options can come in handy too.

My only gripe with the camera is using the viewfinder when photographing in bright light. But I think this an issue for many cameras and I compensate by taking multiple photos of the same view at different zooms and then do considerable culling when I pull them up on my laptop at home.

I did buy extra rechargeable batteries and a separate high speed battery charger on Amazon.

EDITED to ADD: It looks like my model camera (and many other obsolete models) is still available from KEH which bills itself as a "pre-owned camera store". For items graded "new" to "bargain" (the top 6 of their 8 grades) they are currently offering a 1-year warranty and free shipping over $49. It might be worthwhile to check them out since you don't want to pay a lot of money.
Hey, thanks. Sounds like we shoot some of the same stuff. I really need the zoom since it's not always possible to get closer to what I need. It will be nice to have a camera I can just charge like a phone; will definitely look at the extra batteries and charger. Going to B&H tomorrow or the next day, but will spend some time on the KEH site before then.
The spare batteries and charger were Vivitar brand, but they were listed as compatible with the rechargeable battery model that came with the camera. I haven't noticed any difference in discharge time between the original Nikon battery and the spares.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Fletch wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:34 am
legio XX wrote:
Tribonian wrote:

Congratulations on your purchase. I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents even though you made your purchase, it could possibly be of interest to someone else to consider.

1. The best camera is the one you will have with you when a photo opportunity arises.

3. Shortly before I bought my first iPhone, I purchased a highly rated Canon S95 for about $400. I doubt I've taken over 100 photos with it. Never have it with me at the right time. It is now quite dated, I believe it was a 4 megapixel. For all practical purposes, the iPhone takes as good a quality photo as any digital or 35 mm film camera I've owned (going back through a bunch of Olympus, Honeywell Pentax, Minolta, Canon, Panasonic, etc. models from the mid-1960s). To add to my $400 camera purchase story, I also bought a Garmin GPS for approximately the same price at about the same time - became relatively worthless after my navigation app on the iPhone. Color me gullible for technology hardware. :oops: Oh well .......
In a lot of ways you are right on the mark... in some others I would respectfully disagree. I too bought a Canon S95, and despite rolling more cameras in here than I care to count still have that one. I use it for eBay adds for the last few years, not anything else. Since then I've used Canon FF (full frame), APS-C Canon and three Fuji's and probably more than 15 lenses. Despite both travel and photography as hobbies as age and arthritis
advanced it became more important to carry less. At the same time, image quality became more and more important. I have several trips that were shot predominately with a Galaxy S7 Edge and Samsung's lens set. I have others that were shot mixed with that and Fuji gear, others shot with Canon
FF and APS-C, and the most current with the latest Sony gear. .. a pocket and a bridge camera... the RX100 VI and the RX10 IV. All of my albums are at www.martindareff.com for anyone interested.

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:22 pm

midareff wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm
Fletch wrote:
legio XX wrote:
Tribonian wrote:

In a lot of ways you are right on the mark... in some others I would respectfully disagree. I too bought a Canon S95, and despite rolling more cameras in here than I care to count still have that one. I use it for eBay adds for the last few years, not anything else. Since then I've used Canon FF (full frame), APS-C Canon and three Fuji's and probably more than 15 lenses. Despite both travel and photography as hobbies as age and arthritis
advanced it became more important to carry less. At the same time, image quality became more and more important. I have several trips that were shot predominately with a Galaxy S7 Edge and Samsung's lens set. I have others that were shot mixed with that and Fuji gear, others shot with Canon
FF and APS-C, and the most current with the latest Sony gear. .. a pocket and a bridge camera... the RX100 VI and the RX10 IV. All of my albums are at www.martindareff.com for anyone interested.
Your photos are spectacular, way beyond my capabilities. Thanks for sharing. I especially like our National Parks and you certainly took some great shots.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 am

Your photos are spectacular, way beyond my capabilities. Thanks for sharing. I especially like our National Parks and you certainly took some great shots.
That is the problem with people like him :-) He could have used a 99 cents pinhole camera and still would have gotten better pictures than my mirror-less. His pictures are spectacular but that has very little to do with the equipment in front of his eyes but everything to do with what is behind that equipment.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:23 am

Fletch wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:22 pm
midareff wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:51 pm
Fletch wrote:
legio XX wrote:
Tribonian wrote:

Thank you for the very kind words Fletch.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:38 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 am
That is the problem with people like him :-) He could have used a 99 cents pinhole camera and still would have gotten better pictures than my mirror-less. His pictures are spectacular but that has very little to do with the equipment in front of his eyes but everything to do with what is behind that equipment.
:oops: I'm putting all this gear on eBay in the morning. Where can I get that pinhole? Anyway, thank you for the all too kind words.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:58 am
There's a semi-popular Hong Kong based photography gear review site called Digital Rev that occasionally poses that basic scenario: They invite well-known photographers to do a "cheap camera challenge." They often impress poor quality gear, but the limits of that gear can at times be very obvious.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am

iamlucky13 wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:43 pm

There's a semi-popular Hong Kong based photography gear review site called Digital Rev that occasionally poses that basic scenario: They invite well-known photographers to do a "cheap camera challenge." They often impress poor quality gear, but the limits of that gear can at times be very obvious.
OK, now I am going to lose few productive days of my life; gee thanks, really thanks :-)

Seriously, I was not aware of this series, will be fun to watch the videos. Do they have articles to go with this or is it all done with youtube videos as those are the hits returned by Google.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:46 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am
iamlucky13 wrote:

OK, now I am going to lose few productive days of my life; gee thanks, really thanks :-)

Seriously, I was not aware of this series, will be fun to watch the videos. Do they have articles to go with this or is it all done with youtube videos as those are the hits returned by Google.
Here's a similar type of article published a few years back: https://blog.mingthein.com/2015/02/18/r ... ry-camera/

If you scroll to the end of the article, there's a link to part 2 where the identity of the camera is revealed.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:24 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:37 am
iamlucky13 wrote:

Video only, but some of the photographers have their own websites where they comment on the challenge. For example, Vincent Laforet talked about his experience here, after he was given a cheap film camera, a plastic lens, and one roll of film:
http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/2013/03/ ... ing-world/

This should be the full playlist of episodes, I think:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... D96DF59DE5

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:31 pm

I started watching from the latest backwards. It is a fascinating series. It is really a pleasure to watch a professional work her/his photography skills.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:27 pm

For those who don't know https://www.dpreview.com/ is a fabulous camera/photography site. They have Forums, not as well moderated as they are here but nevertheless moderated, for just about every brand and class of camera where folks can help if someone has a problem. They also review cameras, camera lenses and other stuff and make recommendations on varied classes of photography needs.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm

midareff wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:27 pm
For those who don't know https://www.dpreview.com/ is a fabulous camera/photography site. They have Forums, not as well moderated as they are here but nevertheless moderated, for just about every brand and class of camera where folks can help if someone has a problem. They also review cameras, camera lenses and other stuff and make recommendations on varied classes of photography needs.
That is one surefire way to acquire GAS though :-)

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:52 pm
midareff wrote:
Hell's bells... I've had that since lunch.... :oops:

Gort

Post by Gort » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:09 pm

midareff wrote:
Note that dpreview.com is owned by Amazon.com. Some of their reviews and articles seem to push certain brands which may be more profitable for the parent company.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:13 pm

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am
My old Nikon CoolPix just died, aged about 15 years. I need a new camera - yes, I know my phone takes pictures and it's gotten me some surprisingly good ones, but I want a camera. I am no photographer so a point and shoot will do just fine.

Did a scan of the offerings on eBay and Amazon and don't understand half of it. Most of the sellers sound like they are just repeating the package inserts. would appreciate suggestions - smallish point and shoot that I can carry in a waist pouch or pocket, nothing fancy, software that will work with Win10 to just dump it to the computer where I will do whatever editing is needed with Gimp.

I was thinking of going to BestBuy to pick up a Sony they have, but then the extras came up on the screen and suddenly it's not such a good buy . . .

Suggestions? Thanks.
I haven’t read through everything but I saw a few posts about you liking the “feel” of a camera vs a phone. One thing you should try if you don’t know this already is when taking pictures with your iPhone you can use the volume buttons to take the picture. That will give you the old fashioned “click” feel of a traditional camera as well as eliminate the issue of moving phone when hitting the screen to initiate taking the photo.

Best of luck and have a great trip!

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm

midareff wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
midareff wrote:
Gadget Acquisition Syndrome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElWEh2BC-0 :sharebeer

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:23 am

Gort wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:09 pm
midareff wrote:
Note that dpreview.com is owned by Amazon.com. Some of their reviews and articles seem to push certain brands which may be more profitable for the parent company.
Thanks for that Gort. In lots of ways they are like Stereo Review... they both never tried anything they didn't like. The Forums are a better reflection of real world shooting experiences as are the Review Images, as long as you can keep in mind the fanboy syndrome.

midareff

Post by midareff » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:25 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm
midareff wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:32 pm
wrongfunds wrote:
midareff wrote:
Gadget Acquisition Syndrome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NElWEh2BC-0 :sharebeer
:oops: :oops:

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am

I hope some of you know the answer to the following question. I just compared few indoor pictures taken from iPhone7+ and Sony A6000 kit lens. The Sony picture shows ISO of 3200 without using flash but iPhone shows ISO 100. HOWEVER, when you start pixel peeping the actual noise in the picture, the Sony 3200 ISO blows iPhone 100 ISO. Until that, I used to always associate low ISO with low noise but this is implying that iPhone is faking the ISO number! Google gave me some explanation aka stating that because lens is tiny on iPhone, ISO is small. I can not buy that counter intuitive answer.

Now I do think I should just try a cheap prime on the Sony to see if I can get order of magnitude cleaner indoor pictures.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:47 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am
I hope some of you know the answer to the following question. I just compared few indoor pictures taken from iPhone7+ and Sony A6000 kit lens. The Sony picture shows ISO of 3200 without using flash but iPhone shows ISO 100. HOWEVER, when you start pixel peeping the actual noise in the picture, the Sony 3200 ISO blows iPhone 100 ISO. Until that, I used to always associate low ISO with low noise but this is implying that iPhone is faking the ISO number! Google gave me some explanation aka stating that because lens is tiny on iPhone, ISO is small. I can not buy that counter intuitive answer.

Now I do think I should just try a cheap prime on the Sony to see if I can get order of magnitude cleaner indoor pictures.
100 puzzles me as well.

It's also true that bigger sensor cameras will generally show lower noise at the same ISOs. For example, my APS-C Nikon's noise level at 6400 is not much, if any, more than the noise level of my 1" sensor FZ1000 at 1600. Going to more $$, pro quality full frame cameras can really shine at high ISO.

I'll also note that many iphone pictures look pretty good on the iphone, it's not until you look at them larger you see issues. But if all you do is look at pictures on a phone, who cares .....

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:18 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:47 am

While I am a bit surprised that a phone would auto-select ISO 100 when the camera selected ISO 3200 (maybe with a much faster shutter speed, Sony likes to keep it at 1/160 sec to avoid motion blur), I am not surprised that the much larger (20x+ area) sensor of the Sony had far less noise than the iPhone. I wouldn't have thought the Sony would win at such a large discrepancy (ISO 3200 vs 100), but it is obvious that, in similar lighting conditions, the larger sensor is going to make a dramatic difference, especially when you blow up the photos near 100%.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:32 am

Just look at most of the iPhone photos and the ISO information embedded in it. Most outdoor pictures will have ISO of 20 whereas a real camera will be at 64 or 100.