Point and shoot camera

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
legio XX

Point and shoot camera

Post by legio XX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am

My old Nikon CoolPix just died, aged about 15 years. I need a new camera - yes, I know my phone takes pictures and it's gotten me some surprisingly good ones, but I want a camera. I am no photographer so a point and shoot will do just fine.

Did a scan of the offerings on eBay and Amazon and don't understand half of it. Most of the sellers sound like they are just repeating the package inserts. would appreciate suggestions - smallish point and shoot that I can carry in a waist pouch or pocket, nothing fancy, software that will work with Win10 to just dump it to the computer where I will do whatever editing is needed with Gimp.

I was thinking of going to BestBuy to pick up a Sony they have, but then the extras came up on the screen and suddenly it's not such a good buy . . .

Suggestions? Thanks.

Freefun

Re: Point and shoot camera

Post by Freefun » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am

Canon powershot 180
https://smile.amazon.com/Canon-PowerSho ... B019UDHOMO

I have Sony rx100 and Fuji cameras but I think those are overkill for you. I’ve had various powershot cameras and enjoyed them all.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am

Since we're in November, I'd wait for Black Friday deals. I'd seriously consider a small DSLR like the Nikon D3500 w/ 18-55 kit lens. The photos are significantly better. Mirrorless cameras (Sony A6000) are also significantly better than point and shot and much more compact than a DSLR. If not, Canon Powershot are good.

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am

wait for black friday.
while you are waiting, read this: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ot-camera/

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:31 am

Ooops. Forgot to mention: I'm leaving for Italy in 10 days and picture-taking is important - so waiting for Black Friday is out - for the camera.
Wire-cutter, check, will do.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 am

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:26 am
wait for black friday.
while you are waiting, read this: https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ot-camera/
Ouch! Those are $700 buck cameras - too rich for me - that's what I pay for the flight!

PFInterest

Post by PFInterest » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 am

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 am
PFInterest wrote:
wait for black friday.
Ouch! Those are $700 buck cameras - too rich for me - that's what I pay for the flight!
did you peruse all the sub sections?
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... under-500/

if you dont want to spend more than $500, then there really is no difference between your phone and a dedicated camera...

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:54 am

Check out this guide below:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/buying ... -under-500

Or this one from Wirecutter
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best- ... ot-camera/

Any camera within your budget from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Panasonic, or Fujifilm will serve you well.

The main issue will be budgetwise, iPhones have totally killed the sub $500 compact point and shoot market. An iPhone X, Xr, or Xs is a pretty advanced point and shoot that has features 90% of point and shoots do not have.

If you are leaning towards a dSLR the Canon EOS T6 is on sale at a lot of places right now.

A very cool pocketable and capable prime lens camera would be the Ricoh GR II or GR III.

If you're partial to mechanical knobs and dials similar to cameras from the 1970's I would endorse any of the Fujifilm X-100 from the last 5-6 years. The older models might be down to your budget.

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 am

PFInterest wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 am

if you dont want to spend more than $500, then there really is no difference between your phone and a dedicated camera...
The phone can take very nice photos, but I am used to the feel of a camera, even a small one, and the phone is awkward for me to use. No doubt people who started with a phone camera find the original odd.

Will get back to those sub-sections.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:29 am

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:09 am
The phone can take very nice photos, but I am used to the feel of a camera, even a small one, and the phone is awkward for me to use. No doubt people who started with a phone camera find the original odd.
I understand how you feel, but I'd just offer some internet "tough love" with the possibility of quitting cold turkey on this trip and retraining yourself. You'll carry less weight and volume plus won't have to worry about batteries and charging a separate camera. The phone should be better integrated with your preferred online ecosystem and you can easily show people your pictures on the phone. Not having a viewfinder does require a little adjustment, but once you train yourself to look at the display instead you may find that you actually have more flexibility than with a camera (such as holding the phone over your head).

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:41 am

With a point and shoot camera by far the most important thing is that feels "right" when you use it. This is especially important if you are left handed or wear glasses. I would just go into a place that still sells Cameras, like Best Buy, and buy one in person.

Some may be technically better than others but any of them will be an order of magnitude better than a 15 year old camera. I would stick with a major brand but in addition to Nikon and Canon, Sony, Panasonic(Lumix), and Olympus would be worth considering if you like the way they feel.

Once you find a potential camera you can quickly check the ratings on your cell phone. You are not really looking for a top rating, you are looking to see if it has terrible ratings and should be avoided.

If you want to save some money Canon sells refurbished cameras that come with a Canon warranty. I have bought higher end refurbished cameras and lenses from them and never had any problems.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... al-cameras

If you have any interest in getting a full size camera then they have a very acceptable DSLR bundle for only only $350 which might not be out of your price range.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/cata ... efurbished
legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:31 am
Ooops. Forgot to mention: I'm leaving for Italy in 10 days and picture-taking is important - so waiting for Black Friday is out - for the camera.
Wire-cutter, check, will do.
Buying a new camera right before a big trip is risky, not only could there be a rare problem with the camera but you will need to get used to how to use it and if you have an incorrect setting that could impact your pictures. As soon as you get the new camera use it a LOT before your go on your trip. Be sure to charge your battery every night since you will not have a good feel as to how long the battery will last.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am

I was recently researching this question myself and found this website to be very helpful: https://independenttravelcats.com/best- ... t-cameras/

I think in point and shoots today the two big factors for most amateur photographers, technologically speaking, are going to be optical zoom (how much zoom will you need?) and sensor size (which affects photo quality). To stay under the $300 or so price point, you'll have to compromise on one of those two factors. Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix ZS50 (about $250-270) if zoom is your preference. Take a look at the Sony RX100 (about $100 more) if sensor size is more important to you. To get both lots of zoom and a large sensor (and near professional quality shots), you're going to be in the $700-800 range. The Canon Elph 360 or the Sony Cybershot WX220 are good choices if weight and size are most important to you.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 am

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:05 am
My old Nikon CoolPix just died, aged about 15 years. I need a new camera - yes, I know my phone takes pictures and it's gotten me some surprisingly good ones, but I want a camera. I am no photographer so a point and shoot will do just fine.

Did a scan of the offerings on eBay and Amazon and don't understand half of it. Most of the sellers sound like they are just repeating the package inserts. would appreciate suggestions - smallish point and shoot that I can carry in a waist pouch or pocket, nothing fancy, software that will work with Win10 to just dump it to the computer where I will do whatever editing is needed with Gimp.

I was thinking of going to BestBuy to pick up a Sony they have, but then the extras came up on the screen and suddenly it's not such a good buy . . .

Suggestions? Thanks.
You can order a Ricoh GR 2 from B&H Photo for $500 with free express shipping. There's no other camera that small that will give you better equivalent image quality, and for that price it's a steal.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:57 am

There is absolutely zero point in buying a camera unless it has a viewfinder, which will knock out 95% of P&S camera, so you can narrow your search down from there. It can be an optical or electronic viewfinder, and doesn't even have to be the most awesome viewfinder ever, it just has to be there.

The other decision is the lens and sensor size. If you have a 1/2in (1/2.3, 1/2.7, whatever) and like it, that's fine. Bigger is better for image quality but worse for compactness - lenses have to grow to fit bigger sensors. The range of the lens is important, and everybody measures in 35mm equivalents, so for example if you want more than a very mild telephoto in the Sony RX1xx line, you're only looking at the $1200+ IV model. It's absolutely critical to get at least a 24mm equivalent on the wide end - not a 28mm - which eliminates some of the higher-quality larger-sensor models. The long end is where you can compromise if you must, particularly if you get a higher-quality model with a larger sensor where you can crop.

Mirrorless has made huge advancements but from what you describe anything with an interchangeable lens is not something you want to deal with, and that's understandable. A 24 (vs. 28) to 200mm-ish lens on a mirrorless will be expensive, large/heavy, and hard to come by.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am

climber2020 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:50 am
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.
You can order a Ricoh GR 2 from B&H Photo for $500 with free express shipping. There's no other camera that small that will give you better equivalent image quality, and for that price it's a steal.
But it's a lot for a fixed wide-angle lens - by the time you crop you'll have a 1/2" sensor for a lot of your pictures.

Feb29

Post by Feb29 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:09 am

Agree with suggestions for the Canon Powershot ELPH 360 (~$170). It's small enough to easily fit in your pocket and it has lots of functionality.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:20 am

Since you are going on a trip a camera with zoom is an absolute necessity and a starting point of the equivalent of 24mm is also. As the old saying goes, no one ever got fired for bringing a Canon or Nikon back to the office. To that add Sony, Olympus and Panasonic. Any of those compacts that have a zoom and fit within your budget will be OK for casual travel use. Try and avoid the ones that advertise extremely long zoom as the lenses have too many compromises built in that negatively effect image quality..... there is only so much quality you can pack in a budget camera, if you get meaning. High quality long zoom is very expensive.

Have a look at the Canon ELPH line.. it might suit your needs and budget well.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

A lot of good advice above. Im a fan of the Panasonic Lumix series. Perhaps something like the ZS70K for the ease of use, compact and with good features. Or, though getting pricey, a ZS200 which packs a lot into it.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:23 am

tibbitts wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:59 am
climber2020 wrote:
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.

But it's a lot for a fixed wide-angle lens - by the time you crop you'll have a 1/2" sensor for a lot of your pictures.
and if $$ is not a primary consideration the Sony RX100 VI is the best travel camera on the market today, and by far. It's also very expensive for a pocket camera as well.
Last edited by midareff on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldlongbeard

Post by oldlongbeard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:24 am

climber2020 wrote:
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.
Yes, I concur with the Ricoh GR 2. Image quality is stunning. Ease of use, since you will have a short time with it to learn the interface. Cannot go wrong. Zoom with your feet.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am

legio XX wrote:
Suggestions? Thanks.
Rather than rehashing what has already been discussed I would suggest you might want to review some previous topics that covered the same ground such as: Personally we travel with a Canon T5i DSLR (and a number of lenses) and a Panasonic Lumix ZS40 point and shoot. I tend to use the DSLR and my spouse carries the ZS40. Obviously the DSLR photos are generally much superior but for ease of use, weight, etc. the Lumix ZS40 has served us very well, particularly when traveling. It has a great lens and hefty optical zoom so can cover many situations. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Ultimately it comes down to what factors you consider important and which camera provides those at a reasonable cost.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am

oldlongbeard wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:24 am
climber2020 wrote:
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.
Yes, I concur with the Ricoh GR 2. Image quality is stunning. Ease of use, since you will have a short time with it to learn the interface. Cannot go wrong. Zoom with your feet.
Zooming with your feet doesn't work well as a travel camera since too often you are off the mountain or through a wall. Fixed lens and travel don't mix well.

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am

Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am
Since we're in November, I'd wait for Black Friday deals. I'd seriously consider a small DSLR like the Nikon D3500 w/ 18-55 kit lens. The photos are significantly better. Mirrorless cameras (Sony A6000) are also significantly better than point and shot and much more compact than a DSLR. If not, Canon Powershot are good.
+1. If you aren't a serious photographer, then you don't need a camera. If you want good pictures, get an entry level DSLR or Mirrorless. You will get sooooo much better pictures even with the kit lens, and you will then have the option of upgrading your lens as you get more advanced. These days you can get a fine mirrorless for $300+.

Honestly, they are not that much more difficult. You can still "point and shoot". The only difference is you have the option of changing lenses.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 am

legio XX wrote:
PFInterest wrote:

I think it has been said enough times. What you are looking for no longer exist. To take better pictures than your smartphone is capable of taking, you have to pay even more than the cost of your smartphone. That ship has sailed.

Instead, make sure you have enough memory in the smartphone and carry small power packs in case you run out of the smartphone battery.

Otherwise, you are looking at closer to thousand dollars to find a camera which can convincingly beat a good smartphone.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:59 am
I think it has been said enough times. What you are looking for no longer exist. To take better pictures than your smartphone is capable of taking, you have to pay even more than the cost of your smartphone. That ship has sailed.
Respectfully I beg to differ. My iPhone SE cannot hold a candle to much of the functionality of something like a DMC-ZS60 Point & Shoot - Panasonic Canada which costs CAD $499.

Smartphone cameras are good and getting better all the time, but they still lack many important features found in inexpensive point and shoot cameras such as the DMC-ZS60 (or equivalent). For travelling, optical zoom and focus controls are the biggest in my mind.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams

Chip

Post by Chip » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:11 am

I have an older Panasonic Lumix ZS-7. I've taken 13k+ pictures with it. I also have a phone with a good camera. I prefer the ZS-7 because of the controls -- for me it's much faster to frame the picture and adjust exposure/flash/etc than it is with the phone. I also use the 12x optical zoom extensively. But I will admit that even though I've taken plenty of pictures with it I haven't given the phone a workout thorough enough to determine its limits.

The ZS-7 fits in my pocket. A DSLR wouldn't. I carried film SLRs and extra lenses for many years on many trips and I am quite happy having something that's in my pocket and instantly ready for a picture. I used the ZS-7 on a multi-day hike on the Milford Track a few years ago. After I got back I figured out based on the hours of hiking each day and the number of pictures that I took I was taking the camera out of my pocket an average of once every 3 minutes. I wouldn't want the hassle of doing that with an SLR while protecting it from the rain. And even though the phone also fits in my pocket I'm lucky enough to have two pockets available; phone in one, ZS-7 in the other. :P

SpaceMonkey

Post by SpaceMonkey » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:16 am

I have the Canon G9X, which I bought early last year to take on vacations. It's been great for me. It has a 1" sensor and 3x optical zoom that takes good photos in a variety of lighting conditions. I will never own the latest and greatest phone (currently rocking a two-year-old iPhone SE with a camera that I would describe as "meh"), so it was worth it for me at this point in time to have a standalone camera. At some point in the future, it probably won't be.

Spec-wise, there are pretty much two reasons to want a compact point-and-shoot camera over a phone camera: sensor size (around 1") and high-range optical zoom (up to about 40x). You sort of have to pick between the two, though. I went for sensor size. Most of the major manufacturers have options in each category.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 am

midareff wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am
oldlongbeard wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.
Zooming with your feet doesn't work well as a travel camera since too often you are off the mountain or through a wall. Fixed lens and travel don't mix well.
If a zoom is what you need, then the GR won't work. I only travel with a single fixed lens, and it hasn't caused any problems, but I don't ever shoot telephoto; I just don't see well at long focal lengths. The Ricoh does have a crop mode that will shoot a frame with around a 50 mm equivalent focal length view at around 5-6 megapixels. Unless I'm printing a poster, which I usually don't, that's plenty even for medium sized prints.

I have an RX100 as well but don't use it much anymore. For me, the zoom doesn't make up for the compromised image quality that is inherent in a device with a small sensor.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 am

wrongfunds wrote:
legio XX wrote:
PFInterest wrote:

Instead, make sure you have enough memory in the smartphone and carry small power packs in case you run out of the smartphone battery.

Otherwise, you are looking at closer to thousand dollars to find a camera which can convincingly beat a good smartphone.
This is simply not true. Smartphones, even the gold-standard IPhone (which many people don't have and don't want to buy just for the camera), have limited zoom and very small sensors. You can buy a very capable point-and-shoot camera for much less than the price of an IPhone, and your camera won't become obsolete within a couple of years just because your phone has become obsolete for other reasons.

Why do people feel the need to comment just to tell OP he's wrong for wanting what he wants? He wants a point-and-shoot camera.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:20 am

Most point and shoot is good enough. My buddy shoots the commercials for McDonald's and Coke, when we travel he shoot with the high end DSLR and his toy Helga camera, the Helga was pretty amazing. The point is the photographer makes more of the different than just the camera. Enjoy your trip.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:49 am

climber2020 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:19 am
midareff wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:27 am
oldlongbeard wrote:
climber2020 wrote:
legio XX wrote:

Suggestions? Thanks.
If a zoom is what you need, then the GR won't work. I only travel with a single fixed lens, and it hasn't caused any problems, but I don't ever shoot telephoto; I just don't see well at long focal lengths. The Ricoh does have a crop mode that will shoot a frame with around a 50 mm equivalent focal length view at around 5-6 megapixels. Unless I'm printing a poster, which I usually don't, that's plenty even for medium sized prints.

I have an RX100 as well but don't use it much anymore. For me, the zoom doesn't make up for the compromised image quality that is inherent in a device with a small sensor.
FWIW, I've traveled with Canon FF and a backpack full of L lenses, a Canon APS-C and a bag full of lenses, all variety of Canon S and G cameras, Sony compacts and multiple Fuji APS-C cameras and bags of glass again. We travel as my hobby and travel photography is part of that. The IQ of the latest RX100, the VI, is so good it just doesn't seem possible they can get that IQ out of a 1" sensor that shoots 24-200mm and can do so shooting at up to 24 fps, refocusing every shot. Bang eye focus at 200mm indoors and count the eye lashes. I had the RX100 III and IV and this is an entirely different animal. It is tack sharp and color accurate at every mm setting and produces good IQ images at high ISO, even 6400.
I've used zoom restricted cameras pover the years when the best shot was from the third lane of heavy traffic or off the side of a mountain, or behind a solid wall. Sony used some secret sauce on this one, no IQ penalty for the zoom and the viewfinder is as sharp at 24mm as 200mm. The only downside is the price.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:07 am
wrongfunds wrote:
Respectfully I beg to differ. My iPhone SE cannot hold a candle to much of the functionality of something like a DMC-ZS60 Point & Shoot - Panasonic Canada which costs CAD $499.

Smartphone cameras are good and getting better all the time, but they still lack many important features found in inexpensive point and shoot cameras such as the DMC-ZS60 (or equivalent). For travelling, optical zoom and focus controls are the biggest in my mind.
First Google Hit gives me
the new iPhone SE, which starts at $399 for the 16GB model and then jumps to $499 for the 64GB version.Mar 24, 2016
I think you are agreeing with me :-) Your camera was more expensive than your smartphone.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:03 am

wrongfunds wrote:

I respectfully disagree with this. While phone cameras get better all the time, so do standalone cameras. Phone cameras have tiny sensors/lenses and no zoom. The most important factor for image quality in a camera is the size of the sensor, here a 1" sensor is good, APS-C is better. (Look at the size of your phone lens... that's about how big the sensor is, way less than an inch, doesn't capture much light, often leading to grainy or blurry pics.)

I think you need to first decide on size: are you OK with a DSLR size, medium mirrorless, or small compact camera. If you just want to point & shoot (and don't think you will eventually get more advanced), I would probably rule out a DSLR for you.

Mirrorless cameras may have 1" or APS-C sensors and will give you better images, but are not as pocketable. They also have room to grow if you want more manual control, more lenses, etc. Some very good ones can be had for about $500-$750 (the Sony a6000 with 2 lenses is on sale for $500 right now).

For compact cameras, the Sony RX100 (they have versions 1 through 5 costing from $375 to $1,100) is excellent with a 1" sensor and nice zoom lens. The Panasonic LX10 also has a 1" sensor and is highly rated. These high-end compacts with 1" sensors will cost more, but deliver better images.

Buying a small, inexpensive camera with a sensor smaller than 1" may not give you very noticeably better photos than your phone, although it WILL usually include other features you may like, such as a better grip, viewfinder, zoom lens, etc.

To boil that down, you won't go too wrong if you buy one of the Sony RX100 cameras, the version 1 (roman numeral "I") is older, but still a fine camera and relatively affordable. If your budget allows, the newer versions are even better.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:20 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:59 am
Peculiar_Investor wrote:
wrongfunds wrote:

First Google Hit gives me
the new iPhone SE, which starts at $399 for the 16GB model and then jumps to $499 for the 64GB version.Mar 24, 2016
I think you are agreeing with me :-) Your camera was more expensive than your smartphone.
:-) noted but no I am not agreeing with you. FWIW my iPhone SE is the 128GB variety and definitely cost more (at time of purchase) than my DMC-ZS40 camera that I referenced above.
legio XX wrote:
Remember that is how this topic started.

Smartphone cameras have their purpose and are well suited for many types of photos. It is often said the best camera is the one you have with you, which is true to a point. I often use my smartphone to capture moments. But when I'm traveling or doing things where I know I will want to capture photos, I will always take a better camera such as our DMC-ZS40 or more often than not, my Canon DSLR. As others keep point out, these cameras can do far more than is possible with a smartphone camera and the image quality is better.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:59 am

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
wrongfunds wrote:

I agree with Peculiar_Investor. No matter how many times people say your smartphone is good enough, it's not true for many types of photos. For wide angle landscapes, probably. Portraits yeah.

But sometimes, the ONLY WAY TO GET A SHOT is with optical zoom. And the whole "zoom with your feet" ..... spare me. That is sometimes impossible, sometimes phyically possible but you don't have time. There are tons and tons of photos I would never get on trips with a smartphone. There are other things a decent point and shoot can do that a phone can't, but for the casual user, optical zoom is surely the big one.

I will say if all you are doing is taking selfies and viewing them on a phone screen, yeah, sure, stick with the phone.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm

Look at all the recommendations given here for a worthwhile P&S camera. They are all in $700+ range. My point was that if you thought you could get a good P&S for under $200 to take better pictures that your smartphone is capable of, you will be wrong.

By the way, I have Sony A6000 mirrorless and can actually compare the photos taken by it versus iPhone7+ The Sony is marginally better but it costs me as much as the phone if not more when I added up all the accessories and extra lens etc.

Most people have hard time justifying spending over $700 for a P&S. I am betting OP who asked for recommendation is not in the mood to spend big bucks for a "mere P&S" camera. Why not provide a link to cheap P&S which beats good smartphone?

This is coming from a guy who just opened up his 15 year old Lumix megazoom to fix the dust spots. The camera was later used during India vacation. Ourdoor with good light, it does great. By the way, when the dust spot appeared in this camera, I spend lot of time on researching to find a good enough replacement in the same price bracket aka $200. None were worth it. I ended up with the Sony A6000.
Last edited by wrongfunds on Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:10 pm

aristotelian wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:30 am
Alexa9 wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:18 am
+1. If you aren't a serious photographer, then you don't need a camera. If you want good pictures, get an entry level DSLR or Mirrorless. You will get sooooo much better pictures even with the kit lens, and you will then have the option of upgrading your lens as you get more advanced. These days you can get a fine mirrorless for $300+.

Honestly, they are not that much more difficult. You can still "point and shoot". The only difference is you have the option of changing lenses.
It's really hard to get a dSLR in your pocket.

This is an unreasonable statement: "If you aren't a serious photographer, then you don't need a camera"

I like and use cameras better than the smaller point and shoots, but you can get better pictures in some situations with a point and shoot over a phone (optical zoom being the big difference for the casual user). And the small cameras fit in your pocket. A decent point and shoot is a fine solution for somebody that wants more than a phone, but less than a large bridge camera or dSLR.

For travel, I find it a tough choice between a Nikon APS-C dSLR I have and a Panasonic FZ1000 bridge camera (1" sensor) I have. The Nikon is a better camera ... if I have the right lens on for a given situation. But, in a travel situation carrying and changing the lens .... big hassle. The FZ1000 has a fast 25-400 lens and will kill phones and most point and shoots in low light. And on a tripod I can take landscapes that look awesome on a 27 inch hi-res monitor. It's autofocus is also much better than most phones -- useful when taking pictures of moving things.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:22 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm
Look at all the recommendations given here for a worthwhile P&S camera. They are all in $700+ range. My point was that if you thought you could get a good P&S for under $200 to take better pictures that your smartphone is capable of, you will be wrong.

By the way, I have Sony A6000 mirrorless and can actually compare the photos taken by it versus iPhone7+ The Sony is marginally better but it costs me as much as the phone if not more when I added up all the accessories and extra lens etc.

Most people have hard time justifying spending over $700 for a P&S. I am betting OP who asked for recommendation is not in the mood to spend big bucks for a "mere P&S" camera. Why not provide a link to cheap P&S which beats good smartphone?

This is coming from a guy who just opened up his 15 year old Lumix megazoom to fix the dust spots. The camera was later used during India vacation. Ourdoor with good light, it does great. By the way, when the dust spot appeared in this camera, I spend lot of time on researching to find a good enough replacement in the same price bracket aka $200. None were worth it. I ended up with the Sony A6000.
So you like, don't use zoom on the Sony? That's a key thing the phones don't do.

Here is one decent point and shoot:

https://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Waterpro ... 73ea7b9899

The cool thing -- water proof. But yeah, $400.

I don't think the OP gave us a budget; i.e. cheap was not in the original description. But for the cost of a smartphone, if you want to go that high, you can get a compact camera that is much better than a smartphone camera. At the very low price points, yeah, the difference is less. I also note that the OP does a bit of editing, so a less casual user than many folks.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:59 pm

wrongfunds wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:05 pm
While phone cameras can take good-looking photos (at least if you don't zoom in on a big screen) when there is plenty of light, in indoor or other low-light situations, or with fast-moving subjects, the results should be miles apart vs. a decent mirrorless camera like the Sony A6000.

I mean, the iPhone's 1/3" sensor is about 17mm2, while the A6000's APS-C sensor has about 380mm2 of light-gathering area. Collecting roughly 22x more light is going to make a difference in many situations. (Not to mention auto-focus, lenses, flash, etc.)

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:06 pm

legio XX wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 am
PFInterest wrote:
wait for black friday.
What is your budget? If $700 is too much, what's the limit?

In today's dollars, your expired 15 year old Nikon CoolPix was surely $300 or $400?

Assume that you will use the new camera for several years and trips. What is that worth to you?

Cosmo

Post by Cosmo » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:30 pm

I feel like the majority of the answers here were written in 2008 rather than 2018.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Cosmo wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:30 pm
I feel like the majority of the answers here were written in 2008 rather than 2018.
How so?

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:39 pm

Seriously, if you were happy with the results from a 15 year old coolpix, you will be happy with the results from any higher end smartphone.

My OG Pixel takes way better pictures than a 15 year old P&S, as does any reasonably recent iPhone, Galaxy S, etc.

P&S are still useful for special applications - e.g. I have an inexpensive underwater shockproof one that has gotten me some pretty interesting pictures from inside a tidepool / underwater.

I also have a fairly decent mirrorless system with a few nice primes and a zoom (mostly for video). I find myself using the mirrorless less and less because the phone is 'good enough' and always with me. I'm not quite a the point of selling, but if various pieces died I wouldn't replace them.

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:34 pm
Cosmo wrote:
How so?
With the exception of mirrorless and smartphones, and the addition of 4k to most advanced camera systems, there hasn't been much technological headway in regards to the other categories, especially small-sensor compact digital cameras. I think the addition of GPS, wifi, and touchscreen LCD will be the major things of note in the last decade.

Also if you look at Flickr and other platforms that track EXIF data, the iPhone by far is the most popular camera series in all of photographic history in terms of units sold and photos taken. The focus of innovation has shifted quite a bit for traditional digital camera customers.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm

stimulacra wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
How so?
With the exception of mirrorless and smartphones, and the addition of 4k to most advanced camera systems, there hasn't been much technological headway in regards to the other categories, especially small-sensor compact digital cameras. I think the addition of GPS, wifi, and touchscreen LCD will be the major things of note in the last decade.

Also if you look at Flickr and other platforms that track EXIF data, the iPhone by far is the most popular camera series in all of photographic history in terms of units sold and photos taken. The focus of innovation has shifted quite a bit for traditional digital camera customers.
Right, so I think you are not understanding the point several of us are making. A phone has a very small sensor. This will impact your photo quality in low light. Most importantly, phones have zero zoom, or maybe 2x. For many many scenarios in which I take pictures, the lack of zoom is a serious issue. There are other differences, but that is a key one.

The point is NOT that phones are getting huge amounts of technology thrown at them. The point is that real cameras, even sometimes comparatively modest P&S, still have real advantages in some areas over a phone. Go up to the better small cameras -- get something with a 1" sensor -- and you can flat out get better pictures than you can with a phone. It's not just about technology -- it is also about use cases.

I'm sure that Flickr has more iphone pictures than any other platform. I also think McDonalds sells a lot of burgers.

Atgard

Post by Atgard » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 pm

It's one thing to say a phone camera is "good enough" for your purposes (which it very well may be), it's quite another to say that it takes pictures "as good as" a dedicated APS-C mirrorless camera. It's up to the OP how important image quality & features vs. price & convenience are to him/her.

For many people, driving a Honda Accord is "good enough" as it gets them reliably where they want to go. But it's not a Ferrari.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:29 pm

Atgard wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 pm
It's one thing to say a phone camera is "good enough" for your purposes (which it very well may be), it's quite another to say that it takes pictures "as good as" a dedicated APS-C mirrorless camera. It's up to the OP how important image quality & features vs. price & convenience are to him/her.

For many people, driving a Honda Accord is "good enough" as it gets them reliably where they want to go. But it's not a Ferrari.
The OP is looking to replace a crappy 15-year-old P&S camera.

The OP was happy with the results of said 15-year-old P&S camera.

Relative to a 15-year-old P&S camera, a halfway decent smartphone is a huge upgrade.

The OP also objected to a $700 camera, which is the entry level for anything "interesting" relative to just using a smartphone camera.

money_bunny

Post by money_bunny » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am
I was recently researching this question myself and found this website to be very helpful: https://independenttravelcats.com/best- ... t-cameras/

I think in point and shoots today the two big factors for most amateur photographers, technologically speaking, are going to be optical zoom (how much zoom will you need?) and sensor size (which affects photo quality). To stay under the $300 or so price point, you'll have to compromise on one of those two factors. Take a look at the Panasonic Lumix ZS50 (about $250-270) if zoom is your preference. Take a look at the Sony RX100 (about $100 more) if sensor size is more important to you. To get both lots of zoom and a large sensor (and near professional quality shots), you're going to be in the $700-800 range. The Canon Elph 360 or the Sony Cybershot WX220 are good choices if weight and size are most important to you.
I second the RX100, refurbished the earlier ones in the series are about 300ish. I got mine 2 weeks ago and am still learning it. I wanted something that will fit in my pocket for every day use.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:23 pm

money_bunny wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:39 pm
Rupert wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:44 am

I second the RX100, refurbished the earlier ones in the series are about 300ish. I got mine 2 weeks ago and am still learning it. I wanted something that will fit in my pocket for every day use.
Exactly! But then you are changing the parameters of the discussion by introducing used equipment in the picture. I am not sure why people are bringing mirror-less or APS-C cameras or bridge cameras in to this discussion. I don't think those are termed as P&S cameras by lay person. My definition (which I suspect is very similar to OP) of P&S means easily pocket-able sub 200 camera. Even after OP said $700 was too much, he was given suggestion to get the latest generation of RX100 which is over $1000 camera!

Seriously, look at some of the low light pictures taken by good smartphone and compare that to $200 P&S There is no contest unless you get in to over $500 P&S for low light shooting.

I just realized that I was talking about my 10 year old Lumix Panasonic DMC-ZS6 and NOT 15 year old as I had said previously, although I don't think that invalidates anything I had said before.
The OP also objected to a $700 camera, which is the entry level for anything "interesting" relative to just using a smartphone camera.
This needs to be bolded, underlined, italicized, blinked and put in huge font :-)

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:37 pm

TN_Boy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:15 pm
stimulacra wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:04 pm
TN_Boy wrote:
Cosmo wrote:
How so?

Right, so I think you are not understanding the point several of us are making. A phone has a very small sensor. This will impact your photo quality in low light. Most importantly, phones have zero zoom, or maybe 2x. For many many scenarios in which I take pictures, the lack of zoom is a serious issue. There are other differences, but that is a key one.

The point is NOT that phones are getting huge amounts of technology thrown at them. The point is that real cameras, even sometimes comparatively modest P&S, still have real advantages in some areas over a phone. Go up to the better small cameras -- get something with a 1" sensor -- and you can flat out get better pictures than you can with a phone. It's not just about technology -- it is also about use cases.

I'm sure that Flickr has more iphone pictures than any other platform. I also think McDonalds sells a lot of burgers.
Sure… but what is the incentive for Canon or Nikon to innovate and invest serious R&D in the $200-300 compact camera space? Not a lot. That's why everything in the small sensor compact camera is a rehash of the prior decade. They're spending most of their efforts safeguarding their dSLR market and trying, for the most part unsuccessfully, to either kill off the mirrorless market or slow down Sony or Fuji in some meaningful way or tout the superiority of APS-C or Full frame sensors.

I think that was the point about the initial 2008 comment… the previous 10 years (1998-2008) saw much more dramatic upheaval from film to digital, and dramatic increases in megapixel and ISO sensitivity. The last 10 has been much more evolutionary.