Kitchenware Plastic Alternatives

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ThankYouJack

Kitchenware Plastic Alternatives

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:46 pm

We're looking to reduce our plastic use for cups, bottles, and other kitchenware, especially for our kids. We have a bamboo plate set but it cracked so am leaning towards stainless steel. Has anyone looked into this and made the switch? Any recommendations?

sport

Re: Kitchenware Plastic Alternatives

Post by sport » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:53 pm

We use glassware for drinking containers. We use ceramic materials for dishes. Corning makes a ceramic product called Corelle. It is durable, hygienic, and reasonably priced. We also use an older product called Centura. It is similar to Corelle, but heavier.

Watty

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:01 pm

I would have been concerned about what glue and chemicals they would have used on bamboo.

One problem with metal is that it is a good conductor and hot food will get cold quickly. Cold food and beverages will likely have a lot of condensation on the outside.

I agree that glass and ceramic is a good choice but you would want to research them and get them from a good source. Clear glass and white ceramic dishes likely have fewer chemicals. You can also microwave them.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm

We use Corelleware in the motorhome. Good stuff. Hard, very hard, to break.

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:55 pm

You didn't mention the age of your children, but if they're young and still prone to spilling or things slipping out of little hands, small ceramic mugs could be useful. At least there is a handle to hold on to.
We use ceramic dishware & Corelle. The advantage of Corelle is that it's versatile (fridge/microwave) and lightweight.
We use glass containers for leftovers (they do have a plastic "snap on" lid).
Glasses & ceramic mugs for drinking, or stainless insulated bottles for the car. We do have a plastic sippy cup and some plastic glasses for when little ones visit.
We also use aluminum foil or waxed paper instead of plastic wrap whenever practical.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:15 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm
We use Corelleware in the motorhome. Good stuff. Hard, very hard, to break.
Another plug for Corelle here. The stuff's darn-near indestructible, and as another poster said it's very reasonably priced. I've used the same Corelle plates, bowls and cups for 20+ years. No chips or cracks, and they've been dropped hundreds of times on kitchen floors. Short of maybe taking a hammer to them, I'm not sure what it would take to break one, lol. Other benefits:
They're VERY easy to clean. Nothing really sticks to them - assuming you're not leaving your dirty dishes lying around for days on end of course.
They're also microwave-safe, although they do get really hot in the microwave like most ceramics. So you'd want to use hot pads or a towel when removing.
BTW, I have no affiliation with Corning Glass Works or whatever company makes Corelleware. Just happy that my annual time/$/energy invested in thinking about or purchasing new dishes has been zero for decades. It's sort of the dishware equivalent of my "set it and forget it" portfolio, and I don't even have to re-balance! : ) If you want to try it out, you can buy a set, but you can also buy individual pieces at Target/outlets/Amazon/eBay/other retailers.

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:21 am

Thanks all! We'll go to Target and look at some Corelle

brandy

Post by brandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 pm

I've used glass jars--peanut butter jars--to drink out of, for years. Are those safe to microwave?
I have a set of OLD glass dishes. Are those safe to microwave?

what happens to zapped dishes that are not safe in the microwave, as they are being microwaved?

mainiac

Post by mainiac » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:56 am

I have Princess House (Fantasia pattern) glass dishes. They are at least 20 years old. We don't put them in the microwave as they can break - crack into 2-3 pieces. We do put them into the dishwasher with no issues.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:00 am

brandy wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 pm
I've used glass jars--peanut butter jars--to drink out of, for years. Are those safe to microwave?
I have a set of OLD glass dishes. Are those safe to microwave?

what happens to zapped dishes that are not safe in the microwave, as they are being microwaved?
Many of them get hot. That’s what the bamboo dishes do. And a handmade mug we have that must have had a metallic glaze on the handle. Burnt my hand when trying to extract it from the microwave.