Oil Painting Restoration

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jlw35

Oil Painting Restoration

Post by jlw35 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:56 am

I inherited an oil painting from my parents. The art is dated 1875 and painted by W. H. Langworthy.
The minimal research I did (several years ago) turned-up a couple of his other works on loan to a museum in the NE U.S.( I don't remember which museum and can't seem to locate it again). It seems that to do a more thorough research requires a subscription to "ArtNet" which I'm unwilling to do.

So just two questions. Does anyone have experience in having artwork professionally cleaned? This painting has been in the family a long time and most of the members from previous generations were smokers. That plus the natural tendency for art to darken over the years leads me to believe that this painting could actually look rather nice if restored.

Secondly, what would be the best practice to have this appraised? Would any art dealer be qualified. I don't believe that there is any earth-shaking value in this, but it would be interesting to know. I live in the St. Louis, MO metro area.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff

fposte

Re: Oil Painting Restoration

Post by fposte » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 am

I've used an art appraiser in St. Louis, but her website is 404 now so I'm not sure if she's still in operation. There are several others, though, so you could call around to check on their suitability for your work--if you Google "St. Louis Art Appraisal" you'll get several results. I think it cost me about $300 to get the appraisal and the statement for insurance. They'd likely be excellent sources to ask about restoration as well.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 am

Good museum should be able to point you in the right direction.
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:27 am

PoppyA wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:26 am
Good museum should be able to point you in the right direction.
yes, contact a couple local museums