App or Online Document Storage

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
southerndoc

App or Online Document Storage

Post by southerndoc » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 am

climber2020 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 pm
Is scanning and shredding an option? I went paperless several years ago and it's been great. If I need hard copy of anything, which hasn't yet come up, I can print stuff as needed.

The few documents I still have (birth certificate, car title, etc) all fit in one of those small fire resistant boxes.
@climber2020 I started a new thread instead of hijacking the other one.

Which app or service do you recommend for storing everything, or do you store everything locally on your hard disk?

I had read some reviews about Neat, but haven't taken the plunge. I have a Brother MFC-L8900CDW printer that has a built-in scanner.

Thanks!

PFInterest

Re: App or Online Document Storage

Post by PFInterest » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:34 am

google docs, dropbox are the 2 biggest ones.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:35 am

For Online storage I have found Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive and Dropbox to be reliable products. Of the three I slightly prefer Google Drive because I find the sharing features a bit more flexible -- which I use for some of my volunteer work. I try to do as much document creation using Google Docs word processor and spreadsheet. Their revision control on Docs documents is good.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:53 am

southerndoc wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:44 am
climber2020 wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 pm
Is scanning and shredding an option? I went paperless several years ago and it's been great. If I need hard copy of anything, which hasn't yet come up, I can print stuff as needed.

The few documents I still have (birth certificate, car title, etc) all fit in one of those small fire resistant boxes.
@climber2020 I started a new thread instead of hijacking the other one.

Which app or service do you recommend for storing everything, or do you store everything locally on your hard disk?

I had read some reviews about Neat, but haven't taken the plunge. I have a Brother MFC-L8900CDW printer that has a built-in scanner.

Thanks!
For tax returns, I do everything online anyway, so there never was any paper to begin with. All paper tax returns over 7 years old got tossed out.

For stuff that isn't very important I use Turboscan on my iPhone. For stuff that is more important I have an Epson flatbed scanner that works very well, but it's kinda slow.

Everything gets stored on my laptop, and the entire laptop gets backed up regularly onto an external hard drive. My really important documents are also copied to an SD card and stored in a remote location away from everything else.

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am

A ScanSnap Xi500 and an iPad is an unmatched level of convenience and tidyness.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am

Keepcalm wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am
What is the role of the iPad? I have an iPad but would never keep anything personal or sensitive on it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Keepcalm

Post by Keepcalm » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:38 am

jebmke wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:33 am
Keepcalm wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:29 am
What is the role of the iPad? I have an iPad but would never keep anything personal or sensitive on it.
Use iCloud to store everything. The iPad is to view anything at a moments notice.

I respect the worry concerning security, however I view it differently.

mountainsoft

Post by mountainsoft » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:54 am

I don't want to put my important documents in the hands of a third party who could get hacked or not be available when I need access to my files. It's also still too slow to transfer large quantities of data over the internet.

I store all of my documents in an encrypted volume on my hard drive. That drive gets backed up to two external hard drives. I keep one backup in my home office, and the other I keep in the safe deposit box at the bank (swapping drives about once a month).

Once a year or so I also burn my really important document files to a blu-ray data disc as an extra layer of protection.

I have every account I can set up for electronic documents. I simply download the statement or bill and save it in the designated folder on my hard drive.

For the remaining paper documents I have a SnapScan IX-500 scanner, and an Epson V500 flatbed scanner for things I need better quality for (or for things that won't feed through the IX-500).