Filing cabinet recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
daheld

Filing cabinet recommendations

Post by daheld » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm

I’m determined to get us (my wife and I) more organized. We currently have our financial and miscellaneous documents spread across 3 old, cheap filing cabinets. None of them lock. I’d like to buy a metal filing cabinet of decent quality that has a sturdy locking mechanism. Based on product reviews, a lot of what I’m seeing on Amazon appears to be very flimsy and poorly constructed. I’m not looking for something that’s indestructible, but it’d be nice to have something that is well constructed with a good enough lock to deter any would be snoopers.

Anyone recently bought a filing cabinet they’d recommend?

climber2020

Re: Filing cabinet recommendations

Post by climber2020 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Is scanning and shredding an option? I went paperless several years ago and it's been great. If I need hard copy of anything, which hasn't yet come up, I can print stuff as needed.

The few documents I still have (birth certificate, car title, etc) all fit in one of those small fire resistant boxes.

eddot98

Post by eddot98 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:43 pm

How about this? It’s not metal, but it’s an update to the vintage oak library 4 drawer file cabinet that we have. It looks like it’s well built.

https://craftersandweavers.com/products ... V4QAvD_BwE

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:47 pm

daheld wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:42 pm
I’m determined to get us (my wife and I) more organized. We currently have our financial and miscellaneous documents spread across 3 old, cheap filing cabinets. None of them lock. I’d like to buy a metal filing cabinet of decent quality that has a sturdy locking mechanism. Based on product reviews, a lot of what I’m seeing on Amazon appears to be very flimsy and poorly constructed. I’m not looking for something that’s indestructible, but it’d be nice to have something that is well constructed with a good enough lock to deter any would be snoopers.

Anyone recently bought a filing cabinet they’d recommend?
One of the best, if not the best, is a Hon filing cabinet. They are one of the original office filing cabinet manufacturers and still make all sizes and types of heavy duty, last forever filing cabinets. Well worth the price. We have a Hon 4-drawer legal size that was bought used 37 years ago at a used office supply store, still works like new - and I recently bought the same Hon cabinet, looks identical, from Amazon, delivered to my door (weighs 100 lbs).

https://www.amazon.com/HON-4-Drawer-Let ... B00272NAKG

www.hon.com/storage/vertical-files
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:48 pm

Hit up any office supply store. If you want one that cannot be pried open with a screwdriver, you need to look at the more expensive ones. Try used office equipment surplus stores but make sure they have a key. The government surplus cabinets from 50+ years ago are pretty indestructible compared to the newer versions.

longleaf

Post by longleaf » Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:49 pm

A classic case of “they dont make them like they used to”

Perhaps try to find some used. These are pricey new...almost insanely so. Check out Fireking.
Frugality, indexing, time.

Ruger

Post by Ruger » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:24 pm

I second Hon. Very well made. I actually have found a couple at the Goodwill and snapped them up.

motorcyclesarecool

Post by motorcyclesarecool » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:14 am

I got my HON filing cabinets at Staples. They have such a satisfying sound when you close them. I recommend.
Understand that choosing an HDHP is very much a "red pill" approach. Most would rather pay higher premiums for a $20 copay per visit. They will think you weird for choosing an HSA.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:24 am

filing cabinets are not secure, easy to carry, easy to break into.
4nursebee

money_bunny

Post by money_bunny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:44 am

+1 on the scanning. I have certain documents I need to keep originals of.

I also agree with a a used office furniture store. Great prices on really nice rolling chairs too.