diamond appraisals

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brandy

diamond appraisals

Post by brandy » Wed Nov 07, 2018 5:51 pm

Thinking of having a diamond appraised. IIRC, the appraiser talks about the color, clarity, cut, and carat weight, but no diagrams or proportions.
Is it worth the money for a GIA report? Why do people get them, what good are they?
I had thought of having a number etched on it, too, but if stolen, it would probably not help get it back. I'm kind of thinking the same about the GIA report--will that info help get my stone back to me?

https://4cs.gia.edu/en-us/diamond-gradi ... gK32_D_BwE
GIA Diamond Grading Report
The GIA Diamond Grading Report includes an assessment of a diamond’s 4Cs – color, clarity, cut, and carat weight – along with a plotted diagram of its clarity characteristics and a graphic representation of the diamond’s proportions. For standard round brilliant cut diamonds falling in the D-to-Z color range, the report also includes a GIA Cut grade.

andypanda

Re: diamond appraisals

Post by andypanda » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:36 pm

Have you checked the Pricescope site/forum list of independent appraisers to see if there is one near you? You can certainly ship an insured diamond to an appraiser, but it adds to the cost.

www.pricescope.com/appraisers

You ideally want an appraiser who doesn't buy or sell diamonds.

www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamond_apprais ... hat_expect

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:43 pm

For me, the primary reason to get an appraisal is for insurance purposes. If not, then don’t spend the money.

It will not likely help you recover a stolen diamond.

Cheers

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:45 pm

A GIA report will help you to determine the quality and value of your diamond. One use is for documentation purposes if you plan to have it insured.